3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did you get the first ding/scratch/damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When did you get the first ding/scratch/damage?

How many days after purchasing the TL?

Mine got a scratch on the tailpipe on 2nd day.

FIrst ding after one month.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Got my first door ding (very minor) last week, so it took seven weeks to happen. I knew it was just a matter of time, so when it happened I didn't take it too hard. Next will probably be a nick or scratch on the bumper. It's OK...it can't be helped. I take a Zazen approach to these things in life (is that the right word?), the Buddhist philosophy of going with the flow to a certain extent.

Look at my gallery pictures and see if you can even see the ding on the driver's door.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:04 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I first drove my 04 TL - pre paperwork test-drive right off the truck, it was flawless. By the time all the paperwork was finished and the car prepped it was dark. Needless to say I found the paint chipped on the aft edge of the drivers side rear door the next day. Looked like it had been opened up against something. Obviously if thats the worst that happens it would be a miracle. I went back in last Monday and they gave me a free bottle of touch-up paint. Wow! I feel so much better for paying MSRP now-got something thrown in! OK, I did get the free rim locks etc... Anyway, I still need to get some white "basecoat" to hide the chip on this WDP but its still something I would rather do myself than have the "lot-boy" accomplish.

Very minor ding but I consider it the first, but technically not "my" first..... "Is it safe?, Is It SAFE??!!"

Smitty
Old 01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
5th Gear

5th day - had a coworker back into my rear bumper on the drivers side. Several deep chips and scratches through to the base plastic. Obviously, I wasn't very impressed.

It's booked for repair later this month, the sooner the better. I hate looking at that part of the car and the incident took much of the fun out of the first few weeks of ownership...
Old 01-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Racer

Found my first chip after the ride home from the dealer on the first day. Must have taken one on the nose on the highway on the drive home. Not pleased
Old 01-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

mine had a paint defect on delivery....:smackhead
Old 01-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Advanced

I always think it's funny how anal I am whenever I get a new car. At first, I always make sure to park it in a remote corner of the parking lot so no one will park near it. After a couple months, the initial craziness wears off and I'll park it anywhere. By the time a couple years have passed, the dings and scratches don't even bother me anymore.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:06 AM
What's a TL?

I'm feelin pretty luck that my first body flaws did not take place until I was a month into the ownership of my TL... With that said, there are two paint chips on the hood thanks to an open topped big rig that presumably contained gravel, as there was a good rain of the stuff showering the lanes on Interstate 5 in L.A.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I got chip on my engine hood on the highway in second week, probably caused by gravels. I ran back to the dealer immediately, they agreed the new paint finish from Acura is very easy to get hurt. There are 6 tiny chips now.

My TL has a couple of door dings since the week 1.

There are two scratches over my trunk hood a week ago, and I got no idea how they came from...

One more... the stupid worker in the gas station ding my fuel fill door when inserting gas pump gun into the hole.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got small dent just above my gas tank. Some kid threw a ball and hit my car, it didn't look like it did any damage till a few days later I looked at it from an angle and saw the little indent. Its not noticable to the normal eye.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Did it myself yesterday. Car is 5 days old. Thought I would be smart and park it in an end spot in a lot. Parked right next to the curb to get as far away from the other car as possible and said to myself, "When you leave, make sure you back out towards the right so your wheels don't hit the curb." When I left, forgot all about it and hit the curb with my front rim and scraped it up. Genius.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

this thread as probably one of the best I've seen in a while. This is like a support group for trauma victims. I, for one, feel some comfort in knowing that we all face the same disappointments with our car's sheet metal. Its good to know I'm not alone.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Angry

Originally posted by acur8ly
I got small dent just above my gas tank. Some kid threw a ball and hit my car, it didn't look like it did any damage till a few days later I looked at it from an angle and saw the little indent. Its not noticable to the normal eye.
Got my first ding about 10 days ago. I was home sick & heard some kids out playing. As I was falling asleep I thought I heard a sound... Didn't think about it until a couple of days later when I was well & taking something out of the trunk when I saw it

I'll have to go to dent masters or whatever & pay 'em $90 to get it taken out...
Old 01-04-2004, 08:34 PM
BOOK EM

Did my own damage! My garage is on the smaller size for 2 cars, so I have to back into spot as close on the left side to the wall as possible so my wife and kids don`t open the Liberty`s doors on the TL. While looking in passenger side view, looks like there`s more space to move to the wall.....NOT!! Scraped fender lip and about 1" on aero kit behind right rear tire. IDIOT!! Gonna try the WDP touch up on top of a regular white paint and see.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Racer

Small scratches on rear bumper when I slid on an ice patch going backwards down my driveway into my rock wall. Smart move, backing down driveway after a snow storm. Happened 6 weeks after ownership.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:29 PM
9th Gear

Bought car on Dec 22, out in garage till Dec 25th, gave to my wife for Christmas, she was driving car on Dec 26th and caught a 3" diameter rock in the hood !!! She broke her Christmas toy already

Old 01-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Wow, what a great thread! I agree with your comments acuraddict!

Got my first small ding on the rear bumber 2 days after picking up the car. This thread has definitely made me feel better!
Old 01-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Instructor

1 week in... I have a nice little chip on the hood.

3 weeks in.. someone put a nice 4 inch scratch on my front driver-side bumper. I think I can buff this out.

Every idiot out there is trying their best to nail me on my way home from work. Nothing beats the sound of tires locking up behind you and looking through your passenger window to see another car slide by yours.. just missing you by inches. Grrr..

Holiday-Travel Drivers + Cell Phone Drivers + Holiday Shopper Drivers + F'IN Minivan/Soccer Mom Drivers (GOD I HATE THEM) = December was not a good time to drive the TL around.

err.. I think I just went off into a Rant. Sorry
Old 01-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jmichaelp
Got my first ding about 10 days ago. I was home sick & heard some kids out playing. As I was falling asleep I thought I heard a sound... Didn't think about it until a couple of days later when I was well & taking something out of the trunk when I saw it

I'll have to go to dent masters or whatever & pay 'em $90 to get it taken out...
A Local shop detail shop quoted me $150. to take that ding out of my car. Oh and get this they weren't going to remove the pannels from the trunk and massage the dent out, instead they wanted to use that Pop A Dent crap that they sell on tv. Oh well on to the next place.

bmgm37, :wow: it really pains me to see scratches like that. My condolences
Old 01-07-2004, 08:28 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Not speaking for 04 TL but when I sold My TLS to my brother a few months ago and purchased the 350Z I got my 1st-4th dings in a matter of days. 2 nicks on the bumper one on the door from my wife and on nick on the hood, it use to bother me but youg et over it with time. BTW I agree this is a good thread.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

2 weeks in my son, who's six, opened the door into a pole I parked next to. What an idiot...me, not him, for parking there with my kids in the car. I felt like killing him but instead took him for ice cream and bought him an Atlanta Thrashers jersey. That's life with kids..
Old 01-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

Picked up my TL on 12/17 this morning I have joined the ranks of the damaged! I may have a better story. We spent the night in the local hospital with my daughter who it appeared to have appendicitis. After 5 hours in the ER and one CAT scan later they released her at 5 AM. At 10 AM I was woken by the hospital to ask me to come back to do another CAT scan since they reread the film this morning and were not so sure it was not appendicitis.

I dragged my tired ass out of bed and called my daughter to tell her we had to go back. I got into the car and pushed the opener while starting the car. The door opened and I proceeded to back out. CRUNCH!!! I stopped short and did not want to look. The damn door failed to go up all the way. It hung just about 1 inch too low. I tore the cover off the sattelite antenna which caused a small depression in the roof followed by 6 inches worth of roof scratches going toward the front of the car.

The car goes to the body shop on Tuesday.

The sent us home again but they are still not sure if she may have appendicitis. Lousy week.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

crack/chip on windshield .... the car is not even 1 month old ...
moral of the story ... stay as far back as possible from SUVs/Trucks or just smoke past them .... sigh ....
Old 01-14-2004, 03:12 AM
Instructor

Man...

I know getting dingged up is part of life. But, hearing all your stories breaks my heart. On the other hand, I'm kinda glad to know I'm not the only one. Just got the car two weeks ago. Just over this weekend on Saturday, my rims checked the curb. It's not really noticeable, unless you really look for it, but it still hurts.

Following day, some jackass parked the car on buildings drive way. Almost leaving no rooms for cars to get in and out. I tried to squeeze by and I thought I was going to make it and then I heard this crack. It was my driver's side mirror. Luckly, the folding mirror minimize the damage. Just some scuff mark and no other damage. I tried scratch X to get the blemishes out. Well, it got most of it out. I guess these are the things about a car that only you would know about. Oh, well...