Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels, Springs, CIA.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheels, Springs, CIA.....

OK.. Well, I am still in the process of looking for wheels. Hopefully I can come to a decision this weekend. We'll see.

I was thinking of just having the dealer do springs for me. Not sure how much it will cost yet. I just thought I would have them do all the work to make sure everything is covered. It's a lease.

What's up with the intakes? How obnoxious is it going to sound. I know I asked this before but still not clear. I want keep a somewhat conservative look and sound but perform better. The dealer can install this as well.

What do you guys think?

Yes, I know that there are links to sites, but I came from owning a Mustang GT which did not need performance enhancements for an extra edge.

Opinions please.
Thanks
Michael
Old 03-04-2004, 12:27 PM
What's a TL?

Whatever you do, don't have the dealer install. You may have read the story in the Comptech Sticky above, but a fellow TLr get ripped off by the dealer. Mine were installed by a local shop....most of these places do springs on a daily basis, so they know what they are doing. BTW, not sure how this idea about dealers "covering" the springs got started, but all that they will guarantee will be their work, which is hard to F-up anyway.

Intakes do not have an obnoxious sound at all. I have the Injen which is typically a bit more quiet than the AEMs. The only sound that you hear all the time is the typical quiet whistle sound that intakes make (sounds like a mild version of a turbos spooling IMO), then a nice deep roar when you slam on the gas. Again, no need to have the dealer install (my guess is that most dealers would not be interested in installing an Injen or AEM CAI). It is a really easy install that I did in 2 hours (with no previous experience...was helped by a guy with very limited experience). Even if a shop does it you will pay way less than the f-ing dealer who may not know what they are doing compared to a shop that installs intakes every day
Old 03-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Racer

thanks VTEC...
You have been very helpful.
With all of your expertise. What is the bottom line?
How much or what is the most I should I pay for the springs (Brand?) and CIA?

I read that there may be a water issue with intakes. What is this about? Has it been corrected or is there a CIA that does not do it?

My fear about all of this is that the dealer had to call for support to fix the gear shift locking and VSA going on. I would imagine that garages may not know what or how to do these mods.

I am sure whatever you say next will clear it up for me.

Thanks
Michael
Old 03-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you are leasing I wouldn't do any mods.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:54 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by Michaelvg1
thanks VTEC...
You have been very helpful.
With all of your expertise. What is the bottom line?
How much or what is the most I should I pay for the springs (Brand?) and CIA?

I read that there may be a water issue with intakes. What is this about? Has it been corrected or is there a CIA that does not do it?

My fear about all of this is that the dealer had to call for support to fix the gear shift locking and VSA going on. I would imagine that garages may not know what or how to do these mods.

I am sure whatever you say next will clear it up for me.

Thanks
Michael
I think you have way oo much faith in me!!

For springs, it depends on what is more important to you- price or quality. For me, I went pretty cheap getting the comptech springs. The ride is really good overall, and I did not want to spend any extra dough on a more complicated set-up knowing that I, like you, am leasing so I will need to reverse everything in a few years. I have had luck with using just a simple spring set-up, and I feel comfortable knowing that Comptech is a very reliable brand for use with Acura's. If I had about $600 to spend I probably would have gone with a Tein suspension, which is one of the premier Japanese suspension companies. Their super street set-up is a fantastic spring/shock combo.

As for price for the springs, I spend about $220 for the springs and about $100 for install. Unfortunately, after the shop installed mine, they raised the install price bacause a large spring compressor was needed and the rear seats needed to be pulled out. I, personally, would not spend over $200 for install.

The intake is an overall cheaper mod. I love my Injen and the power difference is notable. I paid about $215 for the black powdercoated intake including shipping and tax. Install was free since I did it myself...a shop should charge no more than $50-100. Just make sure the shop knows that the front bumper MUST come off. Most intakes say the bumper has to come off when it does not, but this one requires it. As for water issues, you can get a bypass valve for about $40. The shop can install this, and it helps keep the car from getting flooded.

As for the gear shift/VSA issues, they are all under warranty, so I would always go to the dealer for those things. By having these mods performed elsewhere, you will not void any part of the warranty on the rest of the car, so you can continue to visit the dealer. Just remember to always retain your stock parts as you must return the car in stock condition (pending any other agreement you may come to with your dealer).

Please let mek now if you have any further questions...If I cannot answer myself I can usually find out the answers
Old 03-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Lurker

More on VTEC's point...you may get lucky and get a place who HASN'T done it and doesn't realize that you have to remove the rear seats...then you get it cheap...the guy after you gets ripped That's what happened at a local tire/suspection place out here, Wheel Warehouse gave their first 04 TL owner a typically reasonable quote on springs with install...and after the job was done told him about the seat removal. They said flat out the rate is going up for future TL installs.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:56 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
Since you are leasing I wouldn't do any mods.
Don't necc. agree...I am leasing and modding. I spoke to my dealer that said they would consider taking my car back as is, and recommended that I come back a little while before the lease ends to discuss an early turn in so that the car hits their used car lot rather than it being returned to Acura. If that does not work out, I have kept all stock parts and will pay a little $$$ to get the car back to stock.

Just cause I lease does not mean I shouldn't fully enjoy the car for the time I have it, right?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:57 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by Skeedatl
More on VTEC's point...you may get lucky and get a place who HASN'T done it and doesn't realize that you have to remove the rear seats...then you get it cheap...the guy after you gets ripped That's what happened at a local tire/suspection place out here, Wheel Warehouse gave their first 04 TL owner a typically reasonable quote on springs with install...and after the job was done told him about the seat removal. They said flat out the rate is going up for future TL installs.
You are 100% right, and given that the car hasn't been around all that long, he may get lucky. I was thinking about going to the WW to look for rims...good place?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Lurker

I went to Victoria Tire ( http://www.victoriatire.com ) in LA 'cause they're cheaper than WW (I had a limited budget) and I wasn't interested in suspension until someone releases shocks. My father bought his AMG wheels from WW and he wasn't that pleased. No problem with price or anything, but WW was VERY crowded and it took them 5 hours to mount and balance in stock wheels. For everything else he goes to Grand Prix Performance in Costa Mesa. The only problem I've seen with Victoria Tire is they don't have a large inventory, especially on chromes. I had a test fit done, then had to order mine.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

What is WW?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:12 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by Michaelvg1
What is WW?
Sorry, it is Wheel Warehouse, a wheel store around here.

Skeedatl, have you looked into the Tein setup-up yet?? My friend just got installed on his '03 CL-S and is very happy. Only issue is that they ran about $600. By the way, thanks for the wheel link.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Racer

One last thing. The service and parts manager now want to work out a price plan. Still not convinced I want to go with them given the great information I received here.

There was a discussion around some 'Act' that Acura has with regards to warantees and what they must cover and mods. Does anyone remember this?