3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is VTEC, glad you asked!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
isn't i-VTEC Honda's version of continuously variable valve timing? not just a simple shift of 2 cam profiles. Only on the 4 cyls if i'm not mistaken though.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/

Last edited by ez12a; 05-23-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Very well said. What do the Civic guys do in regards to vtec when they go turbocharged? Is it eliminated, set higher, lower, etc?
Dunno. Mine is just a stock Japanese Type R B18C (intake header exhaust). The chipped ECU lowered VTEC to 5300rpm and it's very seamless. That except for that sweet Honda-Music that starts blasting out of the rear pipe. lol

Originally Posted by ez12a
isn't i-VTEC Honda's version of continuously variable valve timing? not just a simple shift of 2 cam profiles. Only on the 4 cyls if i'm not mistaken though.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/
i-vtec features a computer controlled variable angle intake cam sprocket. That means the ECU can adjust cam phasing on the intake side only. The lobes themselves are the same old 3 lobes for every 2 valve design (except they added roller rockers). Don't know what other automakers do that makes their VTAK special.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ thanks for the kind words Airforce, but I have a fuct up sense of humor that not everyone gets. I catch hell everywhere I go. aint no thang.

Ive only had to move vtec up when ive installed agressive cams. with stocker cams, its usually better to go down, uh hu hu hu.
You and me both thats why I keep it serious most of the time. Too much is lost over the internet and I come across as a cynical jerk. In real life, people get annoyed because I can never be serious.
The following users liked this post:
shenrie (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
You and me both thats why I keep it serious most of the time. Too much is lost over the internet and I come across as a cynical jerk. In real life, people get annoyed because I can never be serious.
majofo, ihc, and justin in one big circle jerk coming soon.

oh and to keep it ontopic, VTAK ftw
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the vid.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
lmao, totally. its like everyones sarcasm detectors are broken here. but im a noob and no one here really knows my personality, so ya, end up looking like a asshole.

and I get the same shit too. "cant you ever be serious for 2 seconds?" I still play the circle game and it pisses people off to no end. forever immature

as for vtec and turbo apps. I remember in the old days people would actually disconnect vtec, but with all there is to tune with now, people leave it engaged and use it to tune with, tune around etc. a local guy here with a s2k lowered his engagement a little to engage just before the full power came on with the turbo. its total overkill for autox, but its a really fun car.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
94eg!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Vegas Bum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Asian chick in the BMW V-Tech video said something about her va-jay-jay getting wet

LMAO
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by shenrie
lmao, totally. its like everyones sarcasm detectors are broken here. but im a noob and no one here really knows my personality, so ya, end up looking like a asshole.

and I get the same shit too. "cant you ever be serious for 2 seconds?" I still play the circle game and it pisses people off to no end. forever immature

as for vtec and turbo apps. I remember in the old days people would actually disconnect vtec, but with all there is to tune with now, people leave it engaged and use it to tune with, tune around etc. a local guy here with a s2k lowered his engagement a little to engage just before the full power came on with the turbo. its total overkill for autox, but its a really fun car.
Forever immature! Even in real life, people will end up shaking their heads and walking away in disgust. Most can't tell if I'm kidding or not. I had one guy seriously questioning my IQ to my boss the other day. We were having a meeting and I was repeating exactly what this other guy was saying, slightly changing the words and acting as if I was the one that came up with the idea while trying to maintain a straight face. These were guys that think of themselves as very important and it doesn't take much to frustrate them.

I got a ticket for driving down the sidewalk on a major street not that long ago. I'm always the designated driver since I don't drink and being sober around a bunch of drunks is annoying so I have to entertain myself somehow. Did you know there's an actual vehicle code for driving down the sidewalk? I could tell that cop just knew he had pulled over a drunk since it was nearly midnight. Probably didn't expect it to be a mid 30s sober guy. I called a friend I've known my whole life to get me out of the ticket and he gave me the lecture about maturing as you grow up.

Not much has changed since my early '20s other than not doing the stuff that will get you arrested. It keeps you young lol.

What's the circle game?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Forever immature! Even in real life, people will end up shaking their heads and walking away in disgust. Most can't tell if I'm kidding or not.
lmao. daily occurance for me too.

I had one guy seriously questioning my IQ to my boss the other day. We were having a meeting and I was repeating exactly what this other guy was saying, slightly changing the words and acting as if I was the one that came up with the idea while trying to maintain a straight face. These were guys that think of themselves as very important and it doesn't take much to frustrate them.
I would most definatly enjoy watching that scenario happen.

...Did you know there's an actual vehicle code for driving down the sidewalk?
I did actually, but I got my ticket by driving my truck up the curb and driving 2 wheels on sidewalk and 2 wheels off past traffic to take a right. just so happened to be a cop 2 cars from the front of a 10-11 car line. he was none to pleased about my tactics. I did get out of the ticket, but only cause i got lucky and he didnt show in court.

I called a friend I've known my whole life to get me out of the ticket and he gave me the lecture about maturing as you grow up.
sadly, i get the same shit, but im in my 40's, lol. sounds like we would get along ducky hope to cross paths with ya someday.

What's the circle game?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0Circle%20Game

^^^ first description, lol. not the second

read your responce to my wife...she laughed her ass off and mumbled something to the extend of you being a long lost brother...
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by undying dreams
hey guys thats me...lol...