3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are some weird/odd habits you have with yout TL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
what are some weird/odd habits you have with yout TL?

thought it'd be amusing to see what strange habits we all share being TL owners

*constantly checking the MID tire pressure

*cant ever decide if i want to use the rear view mirror, side view pivoting mirror, turn my head around, or rear view camera while parallel parking

*if windows are down, they all have to be down at the same level using the unlock x2 feature

*quick detailer every couple of days...own a NBP that gets dirty quick...can't stand crap on my car, even if only lightly dusted, i gotta QD it to be satisfied

*common courtesy to other TL drivers...letting one merge in front of me in rush hour...letting one pull out in front of me on a busy street...every so often throw a TL wave at em. what's a TL wave? idk i just wave at them n see what happens

let's hear some other habits you all have with your TL...the stranger the better
Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
There are a couple threads on this..

one guy washed his floor mats while taking showers.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^guess i didn't see that thread...sorry for re-posting an already used topic...i'm sure that gets annoying to the vets around here.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
repost

I wash my car and detail it every thurday, rain or shine, winter or summer... it must be done.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
one guy continually takes pieces off of his TL until there is nothing left but a stripped car. I could never do that to my TL.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
one guy continually takes pieces off of his TL until there is nothing left but a stripped car. I could never do that to my TL.
really? you think he'll sell me his trunk lid?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^guess i didn't see that thread...sorry for re-posting an already used topic...i'm sure that gets annoying to the vets around here.
no, I didn't mean to discourage you from posting. But there were some weird, weird habits going on. pretty funny actually. If i remember the thread title, i'll post it.

Hah, I got a kick out of that!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Meh- there's alot of new members on the board now and this isn't a topic that has been beaten to death.....Let it stay open.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have to say my biggest habit is checking the tire pressures by hand at least once or twice a week. I'm like ridiculous about it and if I don't do it, I feel like I'm missing something.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
The Panty Dropper

- I line up the windows with rolled down
- when putting the key in the ignition i make sure the acura emblem faces out...if i dont i actually turn it off and reposition key..strange but i think its good luck and have never been in an accident (knock on wood)
-clean car every sat. rain or shine
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
I would have to say my biggest habit is checking the tire pressures by hand at least once or twice a week. I'm like ridiculous about it and if I don't do it, I feel like I'm missing something.
I don't consider that sort of thing weird at all. Seems more like a good idea to me. I always think my front left tyre (driver's side) looks like the pressure is low and so I'm frequently checking it. More often than not it turns out to be fine, but last week it was at 23 psi (the spec is 35), so I wound up running the compressor for a while. The real annoyance about it from my point of view is that in my one-car garage the space is tight (due to the big recycling can the trash company gave out last year) and so it's hard for me to get at that front tyre. Yesterday when I checked the pressure I must have unintentionally bled off 1 psi just because I had a hard time getting the gauge onto the stem. Yeah, I guess I could just back the car out into the driveway first, but the heat index was around 107°F this weekend, so I didn't want to do that.

(BTW, I should note that the 2004 TL does not have the TPMS that some later years do, so in my case there is no other way to check the pressure except by hand.)

The thing I do that some people would consider weird is that I insist on having all the seatbelt buckles at the bottoms of the belts (or at their lowest possible point, anyway) with the metal part facing down. This is no big deal in the back seat because almost nobody ever rides back there (maybe five times total in the almost six years I've had the TL). It's more of an issue in the front passenger seat because Ms1995hoo just lets the seatbelt go when she takes it off (which bugs me bigtime).

My other "weird" habit isn't really TL-specific because I've done it in prior cars too. When I fill the gas tank I have a little booklet down in the driver's side map pocket where I record the date, the price per gallon, the mileage on trip meter "A" and the odometer, the number of gallons or litres, the average mpg, and the average mph (the latter per the trip computer). I've always kept track of fuel economy because if it suddenly drops precipitously for unexplained reasons it may be a sign of a problem.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1995hoo

My other "weird" habit isn't really TL-specific because I've done it in prior cars too. When I fill the gas tank I have a little booklet down in the driver's side map pocket where I record the date, the price per gallon, the mileage on trip meter "A" and the odometer, the number of gallons or litres, the average mpg, and the average mph (the latter per the trip computer). I've always kept track of fuel economy because if it suddenly drops precipitously for unexplained reasons it may be a sign of a problem.
that's not weird. like you said, keeping track of fuel economy can diagnose a larger problem later.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
that's not weird. like you said, keeping track of fuel economy can diagnose a larger problem later.
Yeah, I guess I said maybe it's weird because of the amount of detail I record. The thing about using the full odometer and not just the trip meter is ingrained because the first car I owned when I was 16 years old had no trip meter, and then in the second car I owned (a 1982 Accord purchased from my father about 22 months later) the trip meter was broken. So that's just habit.

The thing about recording the average speed came about because I was curious to follow to what degree the speed made a difference in the TL's fuel economy, especially back in 2005 when I took the Auto Train to Florida and then I was driving extremely fast on some of the highways down there (sustained 100+ mph on I-75 going across the Everglades from Fort Myers to Miami for a football game, for example).

I don't know why I started recording the price per gallon or why I continue to do it. In theory I suppose I could look back at those to know where the best prices are, but I have a good mental sense of that as to all the gas stations near my house anyway.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't consider that sort of thing weird at all. Seems more like a good idea to me. I always think my front left tyre (driver's side) looks like the pressure is low and so I'm frequently checking it. More often than not it turns out to be fine, but last week it was at 23 psi (the spec is 35), so I wound up running the compressor for a while. The real annoyance about it from my point of view is that in my one-car garage the space is tight (due to the big recycling can the trash company gave out last year) and so it's hard for me to get at that front tyre. Yesterday when I checked the pressure I must have unintentionally bled off 1 psi just because I had a hard time getting the gauge onto the stem. Yeah, I guess I could just back the car out into the driveway first, but the heat index was around 107°F this weekend, so I didn't want to do that.

(BTW, I should note that the 2004 TL does not have the TPMS that some later years do, so in my case there is no other way to check the pressure except by hand.)

The thing I do that some people would consider weird is that I insist on having all the seatbelt buckles at the bottoms of the belts (or at their lowest possible point, anyway) with the metal part facing down. This is no big deal in the back seat because almost nobody ever rides back there (maybe five times total in the almost six years I've had the TL). It's more of an issue in the front passenger seat because Ms1995hoo just lets the seatbelt go when she takes it off (which bugs me bigtime).

I can say the exact same thing back to you man. Those things are not weird at all. I do the exact same thing with the seat belt buckles and I've always recorded in a little book the fuel economy, price paid, gallons, etc after each fillup and calculate the mpg by hand rather than using the computer reading.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM

^Awww how cute, ya'll made up!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a bad habit of parking away from everyone else and then constantly looking back at the TL causing minor whiplash...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You silly.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing outrageous for me.
Just no eating and smoking in my car.
Also, all windows need to be lined up if cracked or the back must be all the up and the front must be all the way down.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Souljah
Also, all windows need to be lined up if cracked or the back must be all the up and the front must be all the way down.
guilty as charged.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing outrageous for me.
Just no eating and smoking in my car.
No eating, smoking, or people who have been smoking in my car. It still has new-car-and-leather smell at 50k, so I must be doing something right.

Also, unlike my other cars, absolutely nothing gets left in the car except the insurance card and the owners manuals. That's not terribly unusual until you look at my other two cars and realize how much of a slob I usually am
Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM

take out that heavy owners manual!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowkahn
No eating, smoking, or people who have been smoking in my car. It still has new-car-and-leather smell at 50k, so I must be doing something right.

Also, unlike my other cars, absolutely nothing gets left in the car except the insurance card and the owners manuals. That's not terribly unusual until you look at my other two cars and realize how much of a slob I usually am
Thats the way it should be! Your car, your rules. Everybody deal with it. I'm OCD about that too but everything else about me is a hot mess.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
*if windows are down, they all have to be down at the same level using the unlock x2 feature
what is the unlock x2 feature?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by gcxandrew
what is the unlock x2 feature?
Use your remote. Press the unlock button once, then press again and hold it. The windows and sunroof will start to open, stopping when you let go of the button.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLwdp
- when putting the key in the ignition i make sure the acura emblem faces out...if i dont i actually turn it off and reposition key..strange but i think its good luck and have never been in an accident (knock on wood)
Hah I do the opposite, when I put the key in it has to have the buttons facing up.

+1 to the belt buckles having to be at the bottom. I hate when they get twisted after someone gets out. If I notice one in the back seat I usually try to fix it at a red light.

-When I get out of the car I have to make sure everything is put away. I want my car to look good if someone wants to take a peak inside lol

-If people are using my trunk I usually put the stuff in for them if its something big like luggage, I dont want them to scuff the bumper.
--Then when I'm dropping them off I usually get out with them so I can close the trunk myself, I have the wing spoiler so when people close the trunk they tend to slam it pretty hard. Plus, I dont like hand prints on the trunk lid and no one knows about the handle inside.

-All of the handles on the ceiling have to be pushed in
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

- I always place the key in the ignition with the logo against my thumb... that way the logo faces me once it's started and I feel more connected to the car. Don't ask why.

- I'm always extra courteous to other TL drivers... especially if the TL is white like mine. Much respect due to those with good taste.

- I give tutorials to passengers on how to shut my doors without slamming them and how to get in and out of my car without scuffing the door sills. Violations will get you banned from the Acura experience.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
I always check the rear camera before I move my car. Even if I don't want to go in reverse initially.

I like to place both my fingers up against the Blue LED light on the map light that gives the dim blue ambiance of the interior of the car during night. So subtle.. so beautiful.. OH MY GOD... it even has a watermark.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Use your remote. Press the unlock button once, then press again and hold it. The windows and sunroof will start to open, stopping when you let go of the button.
oh cool! is there a way to make them go back up too?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I have a bad habit of parking away from everyone else and then constantly looking back at the TL causing minor whiplash...
I like a this!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by se619TL
Thats the way it should be! Your car, your rules. Everybody deal with it. I'm OCD about that too but everything else about me is a hot mess.
Yep! Pretty much everyone I give a ride to gets it. And those that don't, don't get rides.

Originally Posted by gcxandrew
oh cool! is there a way to make them go back up too?
You need to buy an aftermarket module and wire it in if you want to do it from the remote. Otherwise, stick the key in the driver side door lock, lock the car, and then turn it to lock again and hold. Everything will close.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I do some of the things mentioned as well.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
windows same when cracked~logo opposite of thumb when in ignition~no smoking(rule was made by smokers i don't smoke)~park extra far of course~unconditional courtesy/respect for other drivers~and parking brake always when in park (hate putting it in park letting off brake and feeling that dead roll back resting transmission feeling); but only with my TL of course
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLwdp
- when putting the key in the ignition i make sure the acura emblem faces out
Same here

Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I have a bad habit of parking away from everyone else
I usually park at the end of the lot...even when my wife was pregnant i still parked a good ways away from anyone

Just no smoking in my car.
Absolutely

Originally Posted by shadowkahn
It still has new-car-and-leather smell at 50k
After 6 years/ 40K miles i still got that new smell

Originally Posted by pnoi521

-If people are using my trunk I usually put the stuff in for them if its something big like luggage, I dont want them to scuff the bumper.
--Then when I'm dropping them off I usually get out with them so I can close the trunk myself, I have the wing spoiler so when people close the trunk they tend to slam it pretty hard. Plus, I dont like hand prints on the trunk lid and no one knows about the handle inside.
yeah i pack/unpack everything in my car myself. And even getting my 17 month old son in and out.

I constantly compare my polished paint to other cars paint. I have OCD when it comes to cleaning my car
Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bayam0n
repost

I wash my car and detail it every thurday, rain or shine, winter or summer... it must be done.
i do the exact same thing on the exact same day, my neighbors prolly think im a crackhead especially seeing me wash my car in the rain two weeks ago, then pulling it into my garage to dry.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 PM

I put the key in the ignition with the logo facing up, but not for any particular reason. It just happens to be that that's how I hold the key and it feels weird if I hold it the other way before inserting it, so that's how it winds up. So in my mind this isn't a "weird/odd habit" I have with my TL because it's not something I feel the need to do intentionally nor consciously; rather, it just happens to turn out that the key is in that position.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Darryl

Originally Posted by babyowe
- I always place the key in the ignition with the logo against my thumb... that way the logo faces me once it's started and I feel more connected to the car. Don't ask why.

- I'm always extra courteous to other TL drivers... especially if the TL is white like mine. Much respect due to those with good taste.
agreed i do these things also

if i notice the "A" on the key is not facing my thumb i will turn car off and turn around

also the windows must all be at the same level

nice to see that you all do it to thought i had OCD or something
Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
when i park my car i do a quick check to make sure everything is put away and everything is closed including the cup holder cover. when you look into my car youll never see something sitting out or a compartment open.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You guys are weird
Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
I take a shower with my car.

I win, nuff said.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
10th Gear

My drivers seat and passenger seat needs to be at the same length away from the dash and the reclining has to be the same angle

Quick Reply: what are some weird/odd habits you have with yout TL?