3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Percentage of tinting?
75%
1.05%
50%
16.84%
35%
51.58%
25%
30.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

What percentage of tinting is best?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:25 PM
SOLD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 999999
Xpditor,

Is moleskin something tha goes on the glass or something attached to the door to protect the glass at contact?

Thanks
Moleskin basically is a "sheild" between the glass and those little black edgings around the window. Sometimes (especially with all the dust and dirt here) rocks or what not get caught in there, and the rocks are what sratches your tint. Moleskin provides a barrier so the rocks do not scratch tint.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Nightrider is correct

Xpditor,

Is moleskin something tha goes on the glass or something attached to the door to protect the glass at contact?

Thanks
Moleskin comes in a kit made up by flnsx, one of our members here. It comes in 1/2" strips with an adhesive backing. There are double wiper/seals on the inner door panel that "squeegie" the window when it goes down on each door. The bottom wiper is very effective and has close tolerances. It is made of rubber. The moleskin is applied to that wiper's blade that touches the inside of the window.

Everyone knows what moleskin is but not many knew the name for it. Almost every window channel on every car has it. It is that fuzzzy stuff that the window slides up and down against in the channel. Some cars, like BMW, even have it on the door seals.

Anecdotally (stories on this forum in many threads) say that two cars are rather unforgiving of foreign bodies like sand on the inside wiper: Acura TL and Mercedes-Benz S Class. Experienced tinters know about this and will often recommend the addition of moleskin a/k/a felt.

Other experienced tinters don't know what the heck you're talking about and will say they're done a zillion TLs with no problems. It's your call. I opted for peace of mind for $25.

XP
Old 06-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I strongly suggest to have felts/moleskins put on your windows... although I don't have it YET...

Someone may say they have lifetime warranty if scratched. I know and I have that, too, however, I don't have so much time to get back to the shop and ask them to tint again.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Moleskin comes in a kit made up by flnsx, one of our members here. It comes in 1/2" strips with an adhesive backing. There are double wiper/seals on the inner door panel that "squeegie" the window when it goes down on each door. The bottom wiper is very effective and has close tolerances. It is made of rubber. The moleskin is applied to that wiper's blade that touches the inside of the window.

XP
Xpditor,

Thanks for the mention buddy!

I hope all is well with your TL. I just had to have my rear brake light replaced since Tint King seemed to have broken it. The red light was shining onto my rear shelf at night.

It's all better now though.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:42 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out these pics with my 51%. from inside seems as nothing. and ouside... car color.. smoke... these are the 51% UV100 Titanium tints..

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums...es/DSC00308.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums...es/DSC00329.jpg
Old 06-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gunmetal,

since the linka don't work, it REALLY seems like nothing.

I would like to see them though.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:46 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Gunmetal,

since the linka don't work, it REALLY seems like nothing.

I would like to see them though.

sorry about that. i dont understand why they didnt work, when they just did in the photo gallery.. i will try to past thread i just made in the 3rd gen Photo Gal....
Old 06-25-2004, 11:53 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85247

try this... out..
Old 06-25-2004, 11:58 PM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Are you guys aware that the metallic coated tints will interfere with the HFL of the cell phone and, possibly the Navi which antenna is on the package shelf in the back. The nubby antenna on the roof is for the XM Sattelite radio. I got that from the tinting shops.
The metallic tints should not interfere with the HFL or the satelite radio. They will, however, interfere with your Navi and AM radio reception (shouldn't be too big of a deal with the AM radio though).

All tints will decrease the effectiveness of your radar detector, metallic tints more so than dies or ceramics.

With all the gadgetry in the TL, I would spring the extra $100-150 for a ceramic tint just to be on the safe side. IMO, the ceramic tint also looks very classy. See my recent thread trying to decide between a couple of different types of ceramics.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Senior Moderator

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Originally Posted by flnsx
Xpditor,

Thanks for the mention buddy!

I hope all is well with your TL. I just had to have my rear brake light replaced since Tint King seemed to have broken it. The red light was shining onto my rear shelf at night.

It's all better now though.
Yes, they broke mine also. But they told me to take it to the dealer and get fixed and send them the bill.

What did they do to fix yours? I have about a 1/4" gap between the rubber edge seal and the window glass. I have red light flooding my rear seat at night.

Did they replace the whole thing or just the clips?

I tried to fix mine myself but only partially succeeded.

I'm up to 600 miles after two months. Finally, I'm broken in. Has yours gotten quicker since you have more miles on it?

XP
Old 06-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
XP,

Before tinting my rear window, I removed the 3rd Brake light and put it back afterwards. The first installation didn't go well and caused some reflection at night. So, I carefully removed it again and put it back, in 3rd try it went back well and sealed all gaps between window and rubber. (just be gentle to remove it evenly...)

Sorry to know you have to get back to your dealer...
Old 06-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Originally Posted by rets
XP,

Before tinting my rear window, I removed the 3rd Brake light and put it back afterwards. The first installation didn't go well and caused some reflection at night. So, I carefully removed it again and put it back, in 3rd try it went back well and sealed all gaps between window and rubber. (just be gentle to remove it evenly...)

Sorry to know you have to get back to your dealer...
I've only taken it off once. If it took you three times to get it sealed well, I'll try it again. I really don't want to take it to the dealer.

I promise I'll be gentle.

XP