What percentage of tinting is best?

75%
50%
35%
25%
Old 04-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
50% will not be very visible at all from the exterior, but it will block a good portion of the harmful UV rays, etc. I like mine for UV blocking, easier on eyes, looks, and privacy. I went for 20% all around on my NBP. I actually wish I wouldve done 15%, but the shop i went to went from 20% to 5%...and I definitely didnt want LIMO tint. Its a personal preference really. if you want to "see" the tint for looks, dont go lighter than 35%. If you don't like the looks of tint, then go 50%. Just make sure to adhere to local laws, unless you live in a state where they dont enforce window tinting (like I do in Nevada). 35% on the front windows is the max darkness legally, but I went 20% all around. been pulled over SEVERAL times and never been bitched at about front plate or tint for that matter.

good luck. hope u dont get the window tint scratching problems like i got.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Arrow Scratching for change..

Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
good luck. hope u dont get the window tint scratching problems like i got.
What's this about scratching. In another thread, someone said you have to get "mole sking" to prevent the tint scratching. What is that? Where is that? How do you get it? Is it a big problem?

The tint was still good on my 14 year old Maxima when I sold it. No scratches. What's up with that?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
do a search on MOLE SKIN. there is a mega huge post there and many replies. many TL owners are having problems with the tint scratching due to the design of the inside of the door panel and the"wipers" being made of a hard plastic material. mine unfortunately became a victim of this problem, and the tint shop i went to re-did ONE TIME for n/c. they said only Benzos have enough room to install the moleskin, and that the TL does not (the owner of the shop has a new TL). Benzos have had this problem with tint being scratched for years..therefore a tint job on a Benzo done the right way will cost upwards of about 700 bucks because all the doors must be taken apart and lined with felt.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by xpditor42
What's this about scratching. In another thread, someone said you have to get "mole sking" to prevent the tint scratching. What is that? Where is that? How do you get it? Is it a big problem?

The tint was still good on my 14 year old Maxima when I sold it. No scratches. What's up with that?

Check out this famous thread by Donte99TL http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65819

It explains everything, why, how...
Old 04-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35% would be my recommendation. Its dark enough to do the trick, look good aesthetically, but not so dark that you draw attention to yourself from the police.

I tend to think darker tint looks suspect, and sort of anti-social / counter-intuitive in terms of dealing with and communicating with other drivers. Nobody can see you if you look over at them and vice versa, and sometimes its important to be able to have that non-verbal interaction.

Make sure you have the tint shop put the mole skin felt strip on the inside of the door. My first tint job scratched really badly, and the tint shop had to do it over with the mole skin.

Last thought...I don't like cars that have been tinted darker in the rear and lighter on the front doors. It just looks too abrupt. It works on minivans and some SUVs I suppose.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Cool Risky Business!

Originally Posted by rets
Check out this famous thread by Donte99TL http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65819

It explains everything, why, how...
Thanks, Rets. It explains everything except where in FL to get it done.

Does anyone have tint without the moleskin and who has not had a problem with scratching?? Is it risky business?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by xpditor42
It explains everything except where in FL to get it done.

Does anyone have tint without the moleskin and who has not had a problem with scratching?? Is it risky business?

Have you asked your possible tint shops if they have felts ready? I thought it's the quite common stuff they should have.

IMO, there should be some ppl having no problem without felts installed, but I don't know. Meanwhile, lots of ppl have gone back to their dealers and tinted once again with felts installation due to the scratches.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation Once bitten, twice shy!

Originally Posted by rets
Have you asked your possible tint shops if they have felts ready? I thought it's the quite common stuff they should have.

IMO, there should be some ppl having no problem without felts installed, but I don't know. Meanwhile, lots of ppl have gone back to their dealers and tinted once again with felts installation due to the scratches.
My dealer will NOT tint. They have the name of someone who WILL tint. They will allow the installer to do it at their location (he's mobile). But, they stress, there is NO connection with the dealer.

It sounds to me as if they've been :tflamer: burned before with tinting problems.