3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods void Acura's extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
It can be done on many levels. I have seen the District Honda rep flag a warranty which means your warranty is no more. A dealer can flag your vin in their own system which doesnt mean your warrranty is void, just means EVERYTIME you come in to that dealer a big note comes up which states x y and z. I can another dealer and get any info they have on you. We can access warranty history on your car whether or not it was performed at the current dealer or not. We can even see what parts were put it. Anything is possible. Key is just dont be a douche. Walking in waving TSBs is no way to get anything done. There is always the EXTREME cases but a majority of the time a dealer is more than happy to help. T
Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
I have a degree in Mech Eng, and all that's taught me is that any mod that I make, I am accounable for from a warranty perspective.
I agree with what you are saying for the most part, and I can deal with the consequences of stuff that I do. I was just giving an example of two systems that are unrelated to each other and a common fallacy that that is used to try to associate the two together to void your warranty.

No where was I suggesting that you try to pull a fast one on the dealer.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
- Don't be an ass if you think a repair item is unnecessary or over priced, just politly say, "No thanks".
LOL, Why was this directed at me?

I'm very courteous to people. However, sometimes you need to be just a little more aggressive to be taken seriously. Brooklyn Acura has the laziest bunch of techs in the world. When they move around, it's like they are crazy glued to the floor, and they especially love to come up with fantasy stories about how many things are wrong with the car to inflate the bill....It's business, you are paying for it.

But I always treat others as I would like to be treated.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
LOL, Why was this directed at me?

:lol: No, nothing in that list directed at you, or anyone in particular.

The only part directed at you was the bit quoted, I " " with your " " to racinghart.

I was just adding some "supporting thoughts" on why .

Hopefully we can reach on that. Even if you to dis .

'Cause once we all , then we can :gheyhug: .

You ?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
:lol: No, nothing in that list directed at you, or anyone in particular.

The only part directed at you was the bit quoted, I " " with your " " to racinghart.

I was just adding some "supporting thoughts" on why .

Hopefully we can reach on that. Even if you to dis .

'Cause once we all , then we can :gheyhug: .

You ?
That's a lot of smileys in one post... With all those , you sound like you had too much to
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
^^

Old 06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Funny story today, Perfect for this thread, 08 TL s comes in and guy says his horn wont stop blowing so he pulled his fog light fuse and it stopped. Of course they call me in since I am the BS stoppa. I look at the car. 2k on the clock. Windows tinted (oh yeah he said there is something in his foor scratching his tint too..WTF), anywho, and a Tein catalog on in his back seat so you get where this is going. Sounds like the most damndest thing right!! I look pulled the cover off the under hood fuse box and instantly smelled burnt electrical parts. I look at the socket where the fog light fuse goes and its melted on BOTH sides of the fuse terminals. okkkkkkkkkkkk. So now I am declaring NONSENSE. I look at the fog lights naturally. Hmmmm. stock bulbs. Strange. How would stock bulbs roast the underhood fuse box?? So I investigate a little more and Oh! Thats funny. I dont remember seeing the the inside of the fog light housing turn colors due to EXTREME heat dissipation. I also noticed that there were small scratches on the finish of the bulb coating. And some foreign matter inside the housing. Most likely the particles from the bulb finish that were scraped off when someone was trying to reinstall them After cooking their fuse box but BEFORE stopping by my shop complaining of some warranty concerns. So now comes the fun part, I ask the dude to have a word with lil ol me. I started out by clarifying. " You were just driving along and your horn started blowing right?" he says "Yep". I ask "So why on earth if your horn was blowing...would you think to pull your fog light fuse out" Deer in the headlights? I followed this up with "Let me get you a price on your fuse box and you can have a seat in the waiting lounge" So long and short of it its. The overload on the fog light circuit internally shorted the fuse box which is also a control module. The circuits were not connected from the factory. This is the shit I deal with every day. This kinda stuff is the reason that this thread even exists. Now. See schematically speaking the circuits are unrelated but after some type of modding, had developed issues. So you never know. BTW he had to purchase his fusebox which will be special ordered. And will have to pay 1.5 hours to have it installed and diagnosed. We recomended him not to drive the car because no horn is a safety concern. He said he would be fine.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what kind of bulbs did he use to melt the fuse box?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Intermediate

Red face

Racinghart03.... that is a good story which shows both sides this argument. Basically, don't try to get stuff you broke fixed at the dealer. If the guy came in with a broken door handle, you probably would have fixed it under warranty (one would hope) since he had not done anything to the door handle. But the customer tried to pull a fast one and get free work done. If you are able to mod, then be able to handle the consequences. Sometimes stuff happens, that is life, but an honest relationship with an honest dealership is the best thing. Yes there are always situations where stuff happens but hopefully, most will make it out ok.
I used to have a truck that had extensive modifications, took it to the dealership regularly and had a great relationship with the dealership/service people. I did have some weird problems that I knew were factory related issues and they did cover they because we had a good relationship. I knew what the ramifications of modding the specific parts did to the vehicle.... after a while the factory warranty was useless for pretty much everything except rusting paint... lol... but i knew the dealership/service people would always help out and do their best to help me troubleshoot problems and fix what they could. Even when my mods broke stuff, they still worked with me. When I upgraded to 38 inch tire/wheel package and wore out my bearings... I took it in and worked out a deal where they would replace my factory ones with heavier duty ones, they paid labor, I paid parts..... that was a great deal for me because I got the parts I wanted and didn't have to spend a whole day doing it myself.... sorry this is so long... end rant
Old 06-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh and BTW. If this guy had come in and said "hey I tried to do XYZ and I messed my car up" I could have and most likely would have issued him a ONE TIME GOODWILL gesture, replaced his fuse box, still takin the pictures of the evidence (yes we do that) and gave him a firm talking to (and formal documentation) about messing around with his rig in regards to any future warranty work.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Its quite simple. If any issue can be traced to a mod you made, that issue will not be covered.

...I think I need to quote myself again.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
Funny story today, Perfect for this thread, 08 TL s comes in and guy says his horn wont stop blowing so he pulled his fog light fuse and it stopped. Of course they call me in since I am the BS stoppa. I look at the car. 2k on the clock. Windows tinted (oh yeah he said there is something in his foor scratching his tint too..WTF), anywho, and a Tein catalog on in his back seat so you get where this is going. Sounds like the most damndest thing right!! I look pulled the cover off the under hood fuse box and instantly smelled burnt electrical parts. I look at the socket where the fog light fuse goes and its melted on BOTH sides of the fuse terminals. okkkkkkkkkkkk. So now I am declaring NONSENSE. I look at the fog lights naturally. Hmmmm. stock bulbs. Strange. How would stock bulbs roast the underhood fuse box?? So I investigate a little more and Oh! Thats funny. I dont remember seeing the the inside of the fog light housing turn colors due to EXTREME heat dissipation. I also noticed that there were small scratches on the finish of the bulb coating. And some foreign matter inside the housing. Most likely the particles from the bulb finish that were scraped off when someone was trying to reinstall them After cooking their fuse box but BEFORE stopping by my shop complaining of some warranty concerns. So now comes the fun part, I ask the dude to have a word with lil ol me. I started out by clarifying. " You were just driving along and your horn started blowing right?" he says "Yep". I ask "So why on earth if your horn was blowing...would you think to pull your fog light fuse out" Deer in the headlights? I followed this up with "Let me get you a price on your fuse box and you can have a seat in the waiting lounge" So long and short of it its. The overload on the fog light circuit internally shorted the fuse box which is also a control module. The circuits were not connected from the factory. This is the shit I deal with every day. This kinda stuff is the reason that this thread even exists. Now. See schematically speaking the circuits are unrelated but after some type of modding, had developed issues. So you never know. BTW he had to purchase his fusebox which will be special ordered. And will have to pay 1.5 hours to have it installed and diagnosed. We recomended him not to drive the car because no horn is a safety concern. He said he would be fine.
An overloaded circuit will pop the fuse. Even the smallest of fuses typically have a breaking capacity that is a minimum of 10X the stated capacity. (Breaking capacity is the maximum amount of current that the fuse can safely interrupt).

The standard 10A blade automotive fuses have a breaking capacity of 1000A @ 32V, according to the spec sheets that I have seen. That means that the standard 10A fuse used can safely interrupt 1000A @32V, or a 32000w draw.... So unless your fogs were drawing more than 32,000 watts, it won't melt the fuse-box terminal unless the fuse and/or fuse-box wiring was defective.

If running an aftermarket foglight will melt the fusebox, than that means it wouldn't have done it's job if you had an actual short circuit, which is one of the things that that the fuse is supposed to protect against in the first place.

Personally, my guess on what happened, is that the owner put in a higher rated fuse, becuase he kept popping his fuse. (I've seen lots of idiots do that). If he replaced the 10A fuse with a 15A fuse or something, then I can totally see the fuse-box melting....
Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah I am sure he "upgraded" his fuse to handle some type of mod to the fog light system. To be honest I am not even sure it was him. coulda been a aftermarket shop or something but its irrelevant. Bottom line is that is WAS NOT a defective fuse box. Anyones guess is a good one but in the long run, it was the lack of taking the blame that really upset me.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Instructor

what kinds of problems can an atlp exhaust and AEM cai cause down the road that i would have to take in and have repaired. Cuz then they would say its cuz of thoose mods we cant cover it. will they just say they cant cover the repair if u had lets say a new exhaust and intake or would they completely void the warranty meaning that they will never covere ANYTHING again...even if its not realated to the mod?

if i had thoose installed and had lets say an electrical problem that would be covered?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the pros and cons over an extended warranty? Basically is it worth it? I got a 72 mo./75,000 mile warranty for $1090 with my new '08 TL. I have 60 days to cancel that contract and get a full refund. Opinions?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what are my chances of messing up my warrant by installing a ATLP system in my car. They can say that it messed up my auto trans. The transmission is my most concern, engine in not really cause in know its solid.Do you guys advise doing this. cold air not to crazy about those.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Talking

I have to agree with racinghart03 i had a guy come in a month ago stating his right side head light is not aimed and pointing the the right.
the car has all kinds of aftermarket stuff in it so i look more closely and see the clips holding the fan harness and misc stuff removed so i go get a p&a on a right side head light assy and pass it to the dispatch and the adviser comes out and ask how can we prove its not a defect. 21 thing the car has 6500 on the clock and the customer said it was never in a accident he noticed the night before the light was out of aim. i show the adviser the damaged parts and clips and where parts have been removed so he calls the customer out and try's to explain his story and i throw the whole accident thing and why are the clips and bolts removed. yup deer inthe head lights look priceless so his story changes from please fix for free to uh i let my cousin use my car and then i noticed it. mean time my parts guy informs me the guy called asking about blacking out the headlights and if they can do it so they inform him no we dont do that. so i throw that at him and again deer in the head light so he opted not to spend almost 800 bucks for a light assy and left but not mad for some strange reason hmmm ?
now i do all our manual transmission and have seen a lot of abuse on the rsx and the tl's thats a pretty open and shut deal.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

the body shop i got my car fixed at put on 08 type-s lights for my 05 and used the old bulds and now it melted the silver bezel in the light...do u think this will void it?im gona have the guy call on monday and see if he can get em fixed or exchanged
Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
TeZZeeY

do you think the dom unit voids the nav/ac warranty.. i was talking to a service guy about how my ac temp on the passanger side doesnt change sometimes, he said that he has seen it before. so im thinking it should be ok. what do you guys think
Old 10-06-2009, 01:00 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Tezzeey
do you think the dom unit voids the nav/ac warranty.. i was talking to a service guy about how my ac temp on the passanger side doesnt change sometimes, he said that he has seen it before. so im thinking it should be ok. what do you guys think
i think if they can trace the issue to a mod you made and make a case for it, it will not be covered.