Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a joke at the dealership today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyshoes
Great to hear now i would like to hear about a good price on a 07 s manual in toronto. I wonder if they really want to sell that car and will make a deal similar to U.S. prices
I really doubt them making much of a deal on an 07 TL (base and type S). Try to deal on some left over 06's - I mean if the dealer told you 38k and that was just a feeler he might knock off a couple more thousand if you get serious with him to make a deal
Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why go elsewhere? The dealer did EXACTLY what they were suppose to do. They informed you of the accident and even showed you the repair paperwork. Most dealers would not have showed you that until after you signed the contract. They even promptly refunded your deposit...sounds like an OK dealer to me. If they were really trying to deceive you, then they wouldn't have told you about the accident. As for an accident car...I'll bet there are A LOT more out there than you think. About 78% of all used vehicles for sale in the US have been in some kind of fender bender or has had some paint work and unless it's reported to the Insurance company or repaired at the dealership, carfax will NEVER show the accident. In most states, the law says that if no more than 3 panels were painted, then you don't even have to reveal the work. The best way to tell if it were a very serious accident is to look under the hood at the fender bolts. If they have been taken off, then the entire fender was replaced. You can do this around the doors, truck lip and so on. Remember, most insurance claims are VERY inflated, so $15,000CDN may not be a bad accident at all

Originally Posted by ADabsolutNDN
Today I went to my local Acura dealership to possibly by an 04 TL w/Navi (~45000 km)if the negotiations went well. The asking price was 28,900 (cdn). I asked what they could throw into the deal (eg., nav disc, new front brakes, and a "b" service), but this seemed to really confuse the sales rep for some reason.

The first offer was 28900 w/ all taxes, registration, safety, e test etc etc. The rep took it to his manager and said this wasn't a realistic price. I asked him what his best line was and he came back with 32,200 (taxes in). I told him I wasn't going to pay a penny more than 30,000 and we finally settled in at a deal at 29,800 (taxes in). This whole process took about 2 hours

Heres where the story gets interesting. First of all he only has one key (with fob) for the car and the valet key. He says he doesn't know where the other key + fob went, but that he could include one in the deal. I said okay thats good and put down a $2000 deposit (the max they took on credit). I'm now waiting to talk to the big boss there and he seems to be busy "on the phone." This was kind of disappointing as it had been some time and there was no other customers in the dealership and I thought it was somewhat rude. Finally he finishes on the phone and motions for me to come into his office (to sign the final contract, discuss warranties etc etc)

NOW after all this (2.5 hours-ish) the original sales rep comes up to me and states "I just found out that this TL had been in an accident prior to the dealership receiving it as a trade-in. Now he says its just "minor" so I ask to see the file and on that it states "Front end collision. Estimated repair $15,000". Now this was obviously a big accident and the rep is going on about how it must have been something small like a bumper replacement etc etc.

So now the deal falls apart and I'm pretty steamed at them not informing me when I had first come to see the car and then claiming they "just found out" . Anyways they refunded the $2000 deposit, but I'm still very disappointed.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to tell someone. I guess my question to you guys is what should be my next move? Is it still smart to consider a accident-repaired car or even this dealership for another car?

Thanks for reading boys and hopefully you can provide me with some good comments. Looks like my joining of the acura family will have to be put on hold
Old 03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NVMYT
Why go elsewhere? The dealer did EXACTLY what they were suppose to do. They informed you of the accident and even showed you the repair paperwork. Most dealers would not have showed you that until after you signed the contract. They even promptly refunded your deposit...sounds like an OK dealer to me. If they were really trying to deceive you, then they wouldn't have told you about the accident. As for an accident car...I'll bet there are A LOT more out there than you think. About 78% of all used vehicles for sale in the US have been in some kind of fender bender or has had some paint work and unless it's reported to the Insurance company or repaired at the dealership, carfax will NEVER show the accident. In most states, the law says that if no more than 3 panels were painted, then you don't even have to reveal the work. The best way to tell if it were a very serious accident is to look under the hood at the fender bolts. If they have been taken off, then the entire fender was replaced. You can do this around the doors, truck lip and so on. Remember, most insurance claims are VERY inflated, so $15,000CDN may not be a bad accident at all
Hey that's an interesting POV you take, but I don't really buy the fact that because they did tell me it makes them a good or "okay" dealer. Considering the fact that they took the car as a trade in after the accident and suppose they did indeed not know -> This suggests the idea that the dealership doesn't check/research the the cars they recieve in trade-ins. Would you buy something from a vendor who doesn't know what they are selling?

Sounds questionable to me. Anyways its all good I got a brand new TL instead so I'm more than happy
Old 03-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude that SUCKS!!! They're crooked man!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ADabsolutNDN
Hey that's an interesting POV you take, but I don't really buy the fact that because they did tell me it makes them a good or "okay" dealer. Considering the fact that they took the car as a trade in after the accident and suppose they did indeed not know -> This suggests the idea that the dealership doesn't check/research the the cars they recieve in trade-ins. Would you buy something from a vendor who doesn't know what they are selling?

Sounds questionable to me. Anyways its all good I got a brand new TL instead so I'm more than happy
Dude, you are seriously kidding yourself if you think ALL dealers don't take cars in on trade that has had an accident or paint work. As I mentioned before, carfax can't report information that is not disclosed by the owner or repair facility. I've had someone back into my car before (not my TL) and they paid me cash to fix it because it was a small dent. However, the entire quarter panel had to be painted and yes, I traded the car at a later date. Carfax never showed anything. When the sales manager comes out and gives you an estimate on your car, he has no idea that your car has been in an accident unless you tell him. It won't be until they take the car into the service department and really go through it that they may find/notice damage. In any case, the only time the dealer has to report damage to you is if the damage was more than 25% of the car's value, they painted more than 3 panels or it's a BRAND new car. Anyway, I WOULDN'T personally buy a vehicle that I knew was in an accident, but I wouldn't write off a dealer that disclosed damage to me...just seems to me, they did the right thing. Imagine how you would feel if you found out a month or so later after you purchased the car But be that as it may, you got a new TL and I CONGRATULATE you on your purchase!