Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a horrible Friday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 AM
My baby's ride...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a horrible Friday...

6am in the morning, commuting to work and WHAM....a deer pops out of the side of the road. I'm no PETA member but I felt really bad for the deer.

I moved from NYC cause I hated the traffic and people popping out on the side of the street and now I have to contend with deers, rabbits, vultures (yes, vultures in NJ), skunks and other furry animals.

I didn't really get a chance to check my car cause it was dark but I most likely have to replace the entire front end of my car. The side quarter panel had pushed against the front door a little causing the door to rub when opening/closing.

Just need to rant a little...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
damn dude, sorry to hear!!! i have seen a lot of deer recently and worry every day about hitting one. hope there is only cosmetic damage, keep us up to date once you know more...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Sorry to hear about it... But you've made me laugh regarding instead of deers we have idiots popping out in the middle of the road in NYC... Like they say, if you can drive in NY, you can drive anywhere, lol.

Your insurance will cover the damage, correct?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
sorry to hear about your incident, and good to hear that you are well and safe. I have to worry about deers where I live since on both sides theres only forest, so I know what it is like. The funny thing about deer and people is people drive more carefully when they are in the country side to avoid hitting deer, but in the city they drive like maniacs so they can hit people...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
^ otherwise you won't get anywhere If you don't drive aggressive, you'll be standing at the same blocks for 3-4 lights changes..so yeah, sometimes the pedestrains do get in the way, lol.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by blkaspec
damn dude, sorry to hear!!! i have seen a lot of deer recently and worry every day about hitting one. hope there is only cosmetic damage, keep us up to date once you know more...
Well...the airbag didn't go off so I'm not sure If I should be glad or worried that it didn't. From a quick glance, I know the headlights were busted, front hood bent in and up, grilled pushed in, left quarter panel, pushed back. I'm sure it's gonna be worse when I examine my car later tonite.

Now...why wouldn't the airbag deploy since I was going 25mph when I hit the poor deer??? I'm lucky the deer didn't come right into the front windshield.

I guess the more important thing is I'm safe so everything else can be repaired except for the poor deer.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Sorry to hear about it... But you've made me laugh regarding instead of deers we have idiots popping out in the middle of the road in NYC... Like they say, if you can drive in NY, you can drive anywhere, lol.

I haven't decided if I'm going to go through my insurance just yet. I have a high deductible to begin with so I have to see what's the estimate.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by csmeance
sorry to hear about your incident, and good to hear that you are well and safe. I have to worry about deers where I live since on both sides theres only forest, so I know what it is like. The funny thing about deer and people is people drive more carefully when they are in the country side to avoid hitting deer, but in the city they drive like maniacs so they can hit people...
Thanks...I was a much more aggressive driver when I lived in NYC. Maybe that was the reason why I never had an accident. Now, I don't worry about pedestrians and maybe lost a little bit of reaction time.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car.

But rabbits and other furry animals aren't a big deal...deer and vultures, yes, but the small furry ones, no. I remember one time going down the interstate I saw a huge vulture swoop out of a tree and fly right into the side of semi...big mess.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn....this sux...hope everything works out
Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Instructor

The best thing about today is you where not hurt
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to hear that you weren't injured, I would have think the air bag would have deployed, but at least you were not hurt and it sounds you didn't need it.

Car can be repaired easier than yourself.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
eeek. good to know that you're alright.

not to take away from your thread, but i had a horrible start to my friday when a guy tried switching into my lane, i must have been in his blind spot, but he didnt look anyways. in any case i swerved the opposite way...yet swerving at 70-75 mph is scary as hell, i bounced back and forth 3-4 times before i regained control of the car. not going to lie, when i heard the tires screech..i for sure thought i was going to hit something. thankfully i didnt!

(sorry to add my rant to ur thread)
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
the deer might not have tripped the sensors if it struck up high/at an angle. Glad to hear you're ok though.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Over Caffeinated

Ouch. I'm glad you were not hurt.

Question pops into mind: are you obligated to report an accident like this (hitting LARGE animal) to the police????

Again, time and some money will fix your TL. You can walk away from it. I suspect it's better that you didn't try to dodge the deer and hit a tree. I lost a friend who dodged a dog but hit a power pole.

God speed on your repairs!

Steve
Old 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Snax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You killed Bambi, damit!
Look on the bright side; At least you got some venison steaks out of it....
Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 AM
My baby's ride...

Thanks to everyone. I do feel really bad about the deer.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by sr1sws
Ouch. I'm glad you were not hurt.

Question pops into mind: are you obligated to report an accident like this (hitting LARGE animal) to the police????

Again, time and some money will fix your TL. You can walk away from it. I suspect it's better that you didn't try to dodge the deer and hit a tree. I lost a friend who dodged a dog but hit a power pole.

God speed on your repairs!

Steve
Oh shoot! I didn't even think about reporting it. I already fled the scene of an accident. Hopefully I don't or I'm in a lot of poop poop.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing

Sorry about the damage. Hope everything goes well.....Did the deer die?

P.S. NYC drivers FTW!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
Oh shoot! I didn't even think about reporting it. I already fled the scene of an accident. Hopefully I don't or I'm in a lot of poop poop.
I wouldn't worry about it...the evidence is probably gone. I am betting someone in a pickup truck stopped within 10 minutes to pick up the dear. I have seen that happen around here pretty frequently.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM
from d.c. to tennessee

you don't have to report hitting animals to the police, unless its something noteworthy like a tiger or something. you should report it to the insurance company though. even if your deductible is 1000, just to replace both headlights, bumper, paint, it is going to run at least that. plus if you feel like you have any injuries, like backpains, whiplash, then you want your insurance to cover medical also. probably your best bet.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Lightbulb

It depends on your state. Fish and game wardens want to know when a deer is killed.... especially if you take it home and carve it up.

They need to tag it or something. My brother hit one, took it home, and was paid a visit by a not-too-happy Game Warden. That was in NY.

I would make a call and check it out. Better safe than sorry.

Last week, I had a rental Corvette ZHZ in Oregon and I was bombing around the mountain roads near Mount Hood. At one point, I was doing 160MPH on a long straight, during the day and I thought: "What if a deer runs out in front of me. We're both toast!"

So I slowed down. For a while.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Acuras Only in

rental vette on a straight hwy ? very close to heaven ... LOL
Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you were ok. Just to let you know, if you report this to your insurance (which I recommend) this incident will fall under your comprehensive coverage and NOT under collision. I know you mentioned you had a high deductible but sometimes people think something like this falls under collision for which some people do carry a higher deductible (I currently carry $1000 deductible for collision ) If the deer would have already been dead in the middle of the road and you hit it, then it DOES fall under collision because it is considered as you hitting an object, but if the deer just popped out of nowhere, then it falls under comprehensive. I currently have $100 deductible for comprehensive and most people do have a lower deductible for comprehensive since it cover windshields and stuff like that, you dont want to have too high of a deductible. Anyway good luck and I hope this all flows smoothly for you.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
The important thing is that you're safe.

And that it wasn't a moose. (Yes, I've had a moose run across the road in front of me, a buck with full antlers. Scared the crap out of me....almost literally, at that.)
Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I wouldn't worry about it...the evidence is probably gone. I am betting someone in a pickup truck stopped within 10 minutes to pick up the dear. I have seen that happen around here pretty frequently.
West Virginia even has a statute specifically recognizing the right of a motorist to take the meat from roadkill, unless the roadkill is human. (Rather disturbing that they felt the need to clarify the exception. )
Old 09-19-2008, 06:19 PM
'08 NBP TL-S 6MT

Sorry to hear about your car, but bottom line you are okay. The car can be fixed. Do you have any pics?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
West Virginia even has a statute specifically recognizing the right of a motorist to take the meat from roadkill, unless the roadkill is human. (Rather disturbing that they felt the need to clarify the exception. )
Then again, this is West Virginia you're talking about.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 PM
DuDeChEwY

welcome to nj.........sorry to hear what happened man......
Old 09-22-2008, 12:51 PM
My baby's ride...

Well, the damage I think is a little worse than I expected. I'll post some pics later tonite when I get home but from the look of things, I will need to replace the following:

- Front Bumper
- Font Bumper Reinforcement
- Hood
- Left Front Fender
- Left Head Lights

I haven't popped the hood yet but no liquids are leaking so I'm taking that as a good sign that there is no damage to the radiator. Crossing my fingers.

I've been looking online to see what the replacement costs for each item will be but I can't seem to find any that is pre-painted to match my color (NBP). I'm guessing that's now how it's done and it needs to be painted after replacing the pieces???

There goes funds I had set aside to buy new wheels and installing rear and side body kits.

Anyways...I saw the deer and unfortunately it didn't make it.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Racer

What part of jersey you from?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by Crucifer
What part of jersey you from?
Marlboro
Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy

I've been looking online to see what the replacement costs for each item will be but I can't seem to find any that is pre-painted to match my color (NBP). I'm guessing that's now how it's done and it needs to be painted after replacing the pieces???

Correct, body parts come unpainted and the body shop will match them to the color.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 AM
My baby's ride...

Pics of damage

Ok...first time posting pics here. Hope it works.

Deer hair

Point and click so the quality is not there along with the fact that I didn't have much room in my garage. Too lazy to bring the car out to take better pictures.

And I did speak to my insurance agent asking if I should submit and was told yes since I bought some "platinum" coverage which includes "accident forgiveness" and doesn't raise my premium, only my deductible.

Well see.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM
i like it dark

damn, thats brutal bro...im in the same boat, i used to live on long island and moved out to the burbs of philadelphia...i've NEVER seen so many dead animals on the side of the road...it is absolutly terrifying to drive at night on some of these streets around here..(PA hasnt grasped the concept of "street lights" either)