What was the engineering sense behind this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004 | 10:36 PM
Advanced

Question What was the engineering sense behind this?

After 30 seconds of thought, I would say a cheap version of sound dampening. after one minute, just cheap! and a great way to get buyers to clean their garage more often.

What is this guy talking about, you ask?

I am talking about the rear wheel wells, did someone for get to put the plastic liner in or does every one have trunk compartment lining in the rear wheel well?

It makes for a get water collection device which takes an average of 6 to 8 hours to drip dry depending on the ambient temperature.

Or maybe since I have the Yoko ES-100 summer tires I am not supposed to drive the TL in the rain, but that doesn't explain the reason for installing windshield wipers.

Please let me know if you all have the drip dry trunk lining or plastic.

Tia,
Nick
Old 02-14-2004 | 10:38 PM
Drifting

You know, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I saw that felt lining and thought the same thing. Is that a haven for mildew and mold?
Old 02-14-2004 | 11:20 PM
Administrator

I just got my TL yesterday, and it was raining when I took it home, but I didn't notice any water in the garage. But the lining still felt damp tonight. I wonder if you could spray undercoating on it and make it waterproof.

I traded in in my 96 3.2TL. I am happy to have this great new car, but from reading the forum and checking out the car I think Honda has gone downhill with quality. Old one had 102,000 so it was time to go, especially with the new TL looking so fine and with all that great technical stuff.

Has anyone noticed that the radio changes volume in much larger increments than before? Just nitpicking, because that is a great sound.

So far I haven't noticed any of the things folks have been finding wrong with their cars, but of course it is only 2 days old (for me).
I don't know the build date, but do you think since it is a more recent build that some of the problems have been eliminated?
Old 02-14-2004 | 11:34 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Welcome to this fine forum Ron!

The radio volume settings are different on this model... the speakers, 5.1 sound, the brand is different (Panasonic), the amp, etc

I have not check the wheel wells yet. but we may need to get a fix for this soon, maybe a waterproof spray like you said.
Old 02-14-2004 | 11:35 PM
Racer

They did that for sound dampening, such as the noise of rocks hitting the wheel well. People are always going to find a reason to complain.
Old 02-14-2004 | 11:43 PM
Advanced

Sorry; Ron, welcome to the to the board. Despite its little and some not so little flaws, the TL still is one hell of a machine.

V/R,
Nick
Old 02-15-2004 | 12:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Question Re: What was the engineering sense behind this?

Nick, yes, you're absolutely right about that soft material.

However, I'm not complaining the drip issue. I have the similar thought about that material since first seeing this car in Oct. And, ppl ever talked about this in the same month. They concluded the same thing as Hybrid said it's for sound dampening and believed this would stand stronger and longer as the traditional design.

I remembered my father told me it's not as easy as I imagined when I asked him why they cannot put the plastic liner, as the front, and add this sound damping between body and plastic liner...

I will attach two pics here, you guys may see what I found out in my car. This felt-like material start to swell up after 4 months' driving in rain/snow.

Do you guys have this?
Old 02-15-2004 | 12:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Question Re: What was the engineering sense behind this?

Second shot. Some ppl may think it's OK, but I'm sure it's not as smooth as I saw them in the very first day. I just wonder what's gonna happen after months later.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2004 | 12:59 AM
Does anyone read this

I live in San Diego (no rain) so I don't have ot worry about this stuff.
Old 02-15-2004 | 02:24 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

I currently live in Arizona, so I worry about this less than Donte99TL!
Old 02-15-2004 | 07:30 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Hybrid
They did that for sound dampening, such as the noise of rocks hitting the wheel well. People are always going to find a reason to complain.
EXACTLY! So it's different from other cars, so what??? Different doesn't mean worse. It's an external component of the car, what the hell does it matter that it takes longer to dry? :rocketwho
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:31 AM
Instructor

It may very well be a polymer in which case it will not absorb water anyway just because it is not a smooth surface. Is it just me or are people looking for things to complain about on this car. Heck, someone was complaining because the trunk didn't open high enough to suit them! Buy something from GM and then you'll really have something to complain about.
Old 02-15-2004 | 09:19 AM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

Yes I have it...but it doesnt lool like that. That looks like an afterthought....not very well installed. I will take some pics of mine and post them today...I just installed my V1 and wanted to post those pics aswell...looks like a photography day today.
Old 02-15-2004 | 09:26 AM
Advanced

I am not complaining; I am just saying there should have been more thought put into the design. I think the above pics speak for themselves; it looks like sh1t!

But hey that is what warranty is for, unless it falls into the within tolerance category.

But still looks like f-ing Yugo engineering to me. Especially when rivals are dimpling the under body of their cars to reduce noise and we end up with trunk lining.

But as I stated earlier I still love the TL, it is one hell of a machine.

V/R,
Nick
Old 02-15-2004 | 10:03 AM
Instructor

All New Audi's some M-B and BMW's have this lining as well...hell, even the Bentley Continental GT does...it is a feature not a bug. The felt is 100% syntehtic, thus waterproof, and it reduces rock noise and wind noise in the wheel well.
Old 02-15-2004 | 10:08 AM
Racer

the lining is there to make the interior noise alot quieter... if you had regular cheap plastic lining, you would hear road noise alot more in side the vehicle...
Old 02-15-2004 | 10:34 AM
7th Gear

Liner

It is a sound deadening material.

I rode in an MDX without this material and in the
rain the rear wheel wells roar terribly.

Steve
Old 02-15-2004 | 10:43 AM
Pro

Originally posted by rick955i
All New Audi's some M-B and BMW's have this lining as well...hell, even the Bentley Continental GT does...it is a feature not a bug. The felt is 100% syntehtic, thus waterproof, and it reduces rock noise and wind noise in the wheel well.
Thank you for your post. I was just about to say that other high end cars incorporate this type of material as well.

I know it's impossible to please everyone, but it's as if some of you try to find things just so you can complain.
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:13 AM
Racer

I understand the lining in front of the rear wheel - sound dampening.

How about the collection bucket behind the rear wheel. Next time you wash your car, take the hose and point it downwards behind the rear tire and you'll see what I mean. This spot can hold some serious dirt - especially you northerners that either drive on salted or coaled roads. I wish they would have lined it all the way down on the rear instead of leaving a gap and a collection area. Check it out.
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:42 AM
Advanced

For all: I am sorry if I pissed in everyones wheaties over this trivial issue.

Bottom line still remains; it looks like sh1t, and if you can put sound (acoustic) dampening materials in the windshield, I am sure you can come up with a better idea for the rear wells, other than plastic or this sound deadening Astro Turf.

V/R,
Nick
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:42 AM
Advanced

For all: I am sorry if I pissed in everyones wheaties over this trivial issue.

Bottom line still remains; it looks like sh1t, and if you can put sound (acoustic) dampening materials in the windshield, I am sure you can come up with a better idea for the rear wells, other than plastic or this sound deadening Astro Turf.

V/R,
Nick
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:46 AM
Administrator

I really did not mean to start my first post in this FINE forum in a negative way. I think I have been reading too much of what people don't like and not enough of what is good about the car. As I said, I have only had the car for two days, but I don't notice any of the problems reported by others.

I am definitely keeping a positive attitude towards the car and know I will start to enjoy it more as I get out on the road. For now most of my experience with the car is sitting in it in the garage and exploring all the wonderful technical features it has, while listening to a sound better than my home theater system.

Again (because I can't say it enough) this is a great forum with some really good contributors. Thanks for all the help you have provided in educating me about this great new car.