What to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011 | 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Hey all! I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, but I also don't want to make one identical to this. I just got an 07 Type-S last weekend (my first car). I don't really have any experience with anything in the car world, other than driving (which I do a lot of). I too want to start doing mods to mine. As per this thread, my first orders of business are the tinting and the aspec kit. But I do have some questions.

First, where would be the best place to get the kit? I wouldn't be able to install it myself, so would that factor into where I get it? Are the spoilers I can order from the Acura eStore and have installed at the dealer the same as the aspec kit? Second, can anybody from California advise me as to how much I should tint my windows? Third, where is the best place to go to start learning about everything car related? I am talking learning about internals/parts, modifications, etc with no experience whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'll have pics of my ride up soon. But just for information purposes, it is a Nighthawk Black 07 Type-S, got it with 58k miles. I'm totally in love, and I can't wait to start making it my own!
Old 08-26-2011 | 07:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by xKelsonx
Hey all! I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, but I also don't want to make one identical to this. I just got an 07 Type-S last weekend (my first car). I don't really have any experience with anything in the car world, other than driving (which I do a lot of). I too want to start doing mods to mine. As per this thread, my first orders of business are the tinting and the aspec kit. But I do have some questions.

First, where would be the best place to get the kit? I wouldn't be able to install it myself, so would that factor into where I get it? Are the spoilers I can order from the Acura eStore and have installed at the dealer the same as the aspec kit? Second, can anybody from California advise me as to how much I should tint my windows? Third, where is the best place to go to start learning about everything car related? I am talking learning about internals/parts, modifications, etc with no experience whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'll have pics of my ride up soon. But just for information purposes, it is a Nighthawk Black 07 Type-S, got it with 58k miles. I'm totally in love, and I can't wait to start making it my own!
dude, please use search...so much info...google works well too. happy for you on the new ride, but search.

but just b/c i'm nice...1) body kit...acktl05 is a vendor here that can get this for you. install...find a friend. 2) search for tint laws in CA. i believe its 70% front and any % in back (my memory may fail me on this one)...google to be sure. if you dont' care...then go with what you want and search out what other memebers have done. 3) did you really ask that question on here? search and you may receive and learn anything you want or need to know about this car.
The following users liked this post:
xKelsonx (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011 | 08:28 PM
Instructor

Since TLtrigirl so nice i would like to ask a question..lol

Does anyone know where i can get a chipped repair kit for a 08 tl type s rim? i would hate to admit it but i chipped it parking :'(
Couple i found but would rather get some personal reviews before i bought any
Old 08-26-2011 | 08:35 PM
Cruisin'

Eek! Sorry. I know in general searching is always the first step, and I have been lurking on this site for a week learning stuff. I didn't mean to seem lazy. It's just a very overwhelming scene to get into, so much to learn. So I was just trying to see if anyone who remembers being a total noob could point me in the best direction.

I have looked up the laws for California, I'm just not sure what looks best and whatnot. So I was hoping somebody in Cali could chime in with what they did. But I will continue my searches. Like I said, it's just a little overwhelming.

Anywho, sorry for being a total noob. Didn't mean to bother. I'm just very excited about this car and about learning more about it.
Old 08-26-2011 | 10:35 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Eek! Sorry. I know in general searching is always the first step, and I have been lurking on this site for a week learning stuff. I didn't mean to seem lazy. It's just a very overwhelming scene to get into, so much to learn. So I was just trying to see if anyone who remembers being a total noob could point me in the best direction.

I have looked up the laws for California, I'm just not sure what looks best and whatnot. So I was hoping somebody in Cali could chime in with what they did. But I will continue my searches. Like I said, it's just a little overwhelming.

Anywho, sorry for being a total noob. Didn't mean to bother. I'm just very excited about this car and about learning more about it.
xKelsonx you thread jacker you....Im pretty new to Azine also, and its the first forum I've been a part of. know where you're coming from. To give you an idea of my journey up till now, check my progress thread below. If you have any questions going forward, feel free to PM me. I didn't find my way on my own.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/bigpzs-progress-thread-updated-04-11-2012-a-814812/
The following users liked this post:
xKelsonx (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011 | 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you very much for the reply! I'll more than likely be hitting you up for advice as I move forward with modifications. I noticed in your progress thread you mentioned getting your wheels in Cali--are you in California?
Old 08-26-2011 | 11:14 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Thank you very much for the reply! I'll more than likely be hitting you up for advice as I move forward with modifications. I noticed in your progress thread you mentioned getting your wheels in Cali--are you in California?
Nope...Im a Canadian boy from Toronto. It just seems almost everything I buy comes from beautiful California. Feel free to msg me any time!
Old 08-27-2011 | 07:40 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

aspec kit is straight fwd...you either want it or don't.

the tint...depends on how dark you want it. 35% is a nice happy medium without looking ghetto. if you have a black interior it will appear darker. if you tint the front are you will to pay the piper if the CHP and local cops to harass you? there is a thread somewhere titled show me your tint. the other thing is type of tint and how much you're willing to spend. google is helpful to determine which type of tint would be best for your applications (not %, the materials).

as with anything with this car, run your search narrow to 3GTL section and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

just keep in mind that this is YOUR car and do what YOU want to do to it to personalize it. gain inspiration from other members, but in the end its YOUR car. do what you want...tastefully. have fun...AZ will suck you dry.
Old 08-27-2011 | 08:01 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by CesarRod
Does anyone know where i can get a chipped repair kit for a 08 tl type s rim? i would hate to admit it but i chipped it parking :'(
Couple i found but would rather get some personal reviews before i bought any
what is this chipped repair kit you speak of?

just google "wheel repair in NJ" and you'll find a bunch of places you can have your wheel(s) repaired at. most places charge $75-$100 per wheel depending on what's involved to fix it.
Old 09-02-2011 | 03:10 PM
illntakashi

You can repair rims yourself but repainting them to match is hard.

Also my dad said he might get me rims any wheel idea guys? Please don't go to crazy with the suggestions!
Old 09-03-2011 | 06:53 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Originally Posted by WhySoAsian
You can repair rims yourself but repainting them to match is hard.

Also my dad said he might get me rims any wheel idea guys? Please don't go to crazy with the suggestions!
dude, its YOUR car. get what YOU think is best. Dont rely on what others think it's what makes your car unique.
The following 2 users liked this post by TWiSDiT:
TLtrigirl (09-03-2011), WhySoAsian (09-04-2011)
Old 09-03-2011 | 11:21 AM
Instructor

Aspec kit for sure.
Old 09-03-2011 | 05:51 PM
Instructor

Not really a mod but if your TL is an auto then make sure you change to a better atf than the stock Z1 such as redline racing typeF asap
Old 09-03-2011 | 11:10 PM
Safety Car

YOU LUCKY!!! i don't know if its the norm coming from the family you are in, but 15 with a 2008 TL and ontop of that daddy is gonna buy you some rims?

LUCKY SOB! lol

u better be a good boy and make straight a's with a 3.7gpa. probably already do
Old 09-04-2011 | 12:12 PM
illntakashi

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
YOU LUCKY!!! i don't know if its the norm coming from the family you are in, but 15 with a 2008 TL and ontop of that daddy is gonna buy you some rims?

LUCKY SOB! lol

u better be a good boy and make straight a's with a 3.7gpa. probably already do
Hahaha thanks buddy and yea i have a 3.8-4.0 gpa

Originally Posted by GeaugaDog
Not really a mod but if your TL is an auto then make sure you change to a better atf than the stock Z1 such as redline racing typeF asap
I already changed it but i used the honda new one.
Old 09-04-2011 | 02:17 PM
Safety Car

I already changed it but i used the honda new one.
Old 09-07-2011 | 04:22 PM
illntakashi

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Yeah sorry man. I just found out how crappy the stock oil was after I changed it -_-. Next time i change it, I will change it to a better one.
Also I'm probably gonna tint my windows first but i'm also thinking of deleting my resonator. Here's a link please tell me what you think. My uncle can do this for me, he said he'll charge around 150-200 bucks. Sounds okay to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeIX2TuJgZU I think it sounds ok, someone give me your opinions. I defiantly do not want to be a ricer hahah
Old 09-07-2011 | 05:50 PM

^ save ur money for real exhaust
Old 09-08-2011 | 04:43 PM
illntakashi

Originally Posted by Twisdit
^ save ur money for real exhaust
I wanted the ATLP exhaust or the RV6 exhaust but it's kind of expensive lol
Old 09-08-2011 | 05:04 PM

I wanted the ATLP exhaust or the RV6 exhaust but it's kind of expensive lol
true, i say work on ur exterior 1st (a-spec,drop,wheels). Just keep an eye in the blackmarket, u will come across atlp exhausts
Old 09-09-2011 | 04:44 PM
illntakashi

Originally Posted by Twisdit
true, i say work on ur exterior 1st (a-spec,drop,wheels). Just keep an eye in the blackmarket, u will come across atlp exhausts
Lol will do! I really appreciate all the suggestions! On the suspension how good are the Teins? Bouncy or stiff?
Old 09-10-2011 | 06:05 PM
the overexplainer

My uncle can do this for me, he said he'll charge around 150-200 bucks.
I got quoted $40 by a well reviewed shop (link) for a mid muffler delete. An additional res delete i can only imagine being double that.

hate to say it cause he's your uncle, but shop around.

also, do know there's a mid muffler AND a resonator on the "B Pipe" under the car. Usually from what i've read mid muffler goes first if you want a good noise.

Last edited by ez12a; 09-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.