3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wham! BAM! Hit the some sort of center divider last nite!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wham! BAM! Hit the some sort of center divider last nite!

Ok it was rainning in Los Angeles last night and I was driving kind of drunk and faded . Visibility wasn't great and there were mad reflections everywhere. I dropping off my friend when he cried out, "Watch Out!" and two seconds later my left front tire and the underlining of the left side of the bumper hit the beginning of a narrow center divider or rather, a divider for the start of a left turn only lane to go onto the freeway. It looked like it appeared out of no where. The impact was quite substantial as I was probably going 30-40mph; I was startled and confused on how I didnt even notice it. This is the first time that this sort of thing has happened to me and I consider myself a pretty good driver.
Anyways I pulled over to check out if there was any damage. Luckily there wasnt any noticeable damage. You have to really squat down and look straight under the bumper to see some scrapes; the left side of the rock guard looks like its been through hell, but its still holding. The left tire it turned out, had a fat blister but I got it replaced today since I had road hazard insurance for my tires.
But the problem now is that it seems that when my steering wheel is straight the car veers to the left slightly, and I have to turn the wheel slightly to the right to go straight. Is this a minor alignment problem caused by my mishap? Or is it something more serious? I am going to try to take it to the dealer and see what they can do about this steering issue since everything is still under warranty.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like alignment, I have had my share of these things... If you dont see anything under the car that looks bad other then the bumper odds are just your alignment, unless something internet broke on the stearing rod type thing. But lets think positive!!!

BTW sorry to hear about it, I know I would be pissed at myself....
Old 02-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Racer

Driving while drunk? Sorry to say, but you would be better off dead. Your likely to commit the same stupid act again, and take someone elses life.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by x420actionx
Ok it was rainning in Los Angeles last night and I was driving kind of drunk and faded . Visibility wasn't great and there were mad reflections everywhere. I dropping off my friend when he cried out, "Watch Out!" and two seconds later my left front tire and the underlining of the left side of the bumper hit the beginning of a narrow center divider or rather, a divider for the start of a left turn only lane to go onto the freeway. It looked like it appeared out of no where. The impact was quite substantial as I was probably going 30-40mph; I was startled and confused on how I didnt even notice it. This is the first time that this sort of thing has happened to me and I consider myself a pretty good driver.
Anyways I pulled over to check out if there was any damage. Luckily there wasnt any noticeable damage. You have to really squat down and look straight under the bumper to see some scrapes; the left side of the rock guard looks like its been through hell, but its still holding. The left tire it turned out, had a fat blister but I got it replaced today since I had road hazard insurance for my tires.
But the problem now is that it seems that when my steering wheel is straight the car veers to the left slightly, and I have to turn the wheel slightly to the right to go straight. Is this a minor alignment problem caused by my mishap? Or is it something more serious? I am going to try to take it to the dealer and see what they can do about this steering issue since everything is still under warranty.
I am sad your car wasn't damaged, maybe you would learn not to drink and drive if that happened.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:20 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok it was rainning in Los Angeles last night and I was driving kind of drunk and faded .
and a big

Wear your flame suit.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Instructor

yea... Why not try to get the f-up fixed under warranty. Do you have any honor? What standard do you live to? Where do you draw the line?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
Driving while drunk? Sorry to say, but you would be better off dead. Your likely to commit the same stupid act again, and take someone elses life.
indeed..wise words from a young n00b
Old 02-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

thats just :ghey:
Old 02-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Sorry can't sympathize man but you should have never been driving...you should feel elated and lucky that you only damaged your car and not yourself...
Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Ok it was rainning in Los Angeles last night and
By any chance were you talking about the 405 entrance near Santa Monica Blvd? If so, lots of people hit that curb/divider Just curious, as one of my old room-mates lives in the apartment next to that spot, and he sees cars nailing that thing all the time when it's dark and rainy. They need to paint that damn thing with reflective paint.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:14 PM
VTEC HoooA

Personally I think it serves you right for being an ass and driving after you were drinking.

Imagine if you ran over somebody instead of hitting a divider!!

+ = or :cop:

Think of other people before you hop behind the wheel. If you do care to continue thinking only of yourself think of what else you could spend the 5 grand on (usually about the average cost of a DWI,DUI).

Old 02-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Racer

DAMNIT!!!

I did the same thing just an hour ago, except that I was sober.

Hit a metal stake in the ground because some lameass security guard decided to keep the lights in the parking lot off (he is currently about 1.5 pounds lighter after getting his ass chewed off).

Now I have some (very little) orange paint on the rear bumper and I think that I have a small scratch on the paint. I'll use some rubbing compound tomorrow to check it out and then have it taken car of if needed.

But I'll also have some stronger rear lights installed at the same time. The lack of vision was the major cause of this.

Grr...
Old 02-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

First of all

Second, this thread should be locked because this future rocket scientist is probably going to get 10 pages of

+ TL = :thumbs down:

IMHO, while I wish no one harm, you got off far too easy!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Mike

Ok it was rainning in Los Angeles last night and I was driving kind of drunk and faded....
....and I consider myself a pretty good driver.
WHAT! You can't be serious. This has to be a joke.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Shift_faster

1. The hit probably f'ed up your alignment.
2. It will most probably not be covered under warranty unless the dealer is an idiot. I'm sure they will notice the damage to the underside of the car.
3. Driving drunk. I didn't think that people would openly state their stupidity, but you seem to be ok with it.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Instructor

HAHAHAHA dayam. I didnt realize there would be such an emotional reaction. Don't get me wrong I know drunk driving is wrong and I've had friends that have been hurt and some even got DUI's for pure stupidity. Well I wasn't exactly drunk, I only had a pint of the good old black and tan with a burger. The reason that I added the remark that I was KIND OF drunk was because I thought that sounded better than me being sober and making a mistake that a first-year driver would make. Apparently, this wasn't so.

To answer AVS007, yes!!! This was the 405 entrance off Santa Monica hahaha. I guess I'm not the only amatuer driver :p .

This looks like the beginning of TADD : TL'ers Against Drunk Driving
Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Keep it up, you'll end up in your news paper . Otherwise, Why should Acura pay for your screw up? If I was the service manager I would laugh in your face and say pay up.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Pro

HAHAHAHA dayam. I didnt realize there would be such an emotional reaction. Don't get me wrong I know drunk driving is wrong and I've had friends that have been hurt and some even got DUI's for pure stupidity. Well I wasn't exactly drunk, I only had a pint of the good old black and tan with a burger. The reason that I added the remark that I was KIND OF drunk was because I thought that sounded better than me being sober and making a mistake that a first-year driver would make. Apparently, this wasn't so.

To answer AVS007, yes!!! This was the 405 entrance off Santa Monica hahaha. I guess I'm not the only amatuer driver :p .

This looks like the beginning of TADD : TL'ers Against Drunk Driving
Bullshit. You get flamed and realize how fucking stupid you are to post that crap in here so you change your tune and expect us to go along.

What kind of fucking moron thinks it sounds better to say you were drunk than to simply say that you didn't see something before you hit it?

You are a waste of carbon.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the car to a tire place and get it checked out.... Your wrannty will not cover this and you might as well get the job done right. Go to a place that does that kind of work all the time.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:12 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

OK, Let me get this straight... YOu were driving drunk. You were SO drunk that you didn't see a DIVIDER in the highway. You HIT IT and now you write about it on here asking for advice? FU buddy... I hope your friggin car is FUBAR'd good... Drunk drivers... IDIOTS. Sounds like you didn't even learn a lesson on this one. Just looking on here for advice on how to get it fixed
Old 02-13-2005, 01:12 AM
2005 TL Owner

In all fairness, the rain was really bad last night, for hours. We have really good drainage in LA/OC on most freeways and last night the water was accumulating on the road all over. On the way back from Irvine to home up the 55 I saw seversal spinouts and 1 roll. I hit about 5 or 6 patches of water.

So even with a beer (or two) in your blood stream that most likely did not contribute to the incident.

x420actionx, your suspension may be damaged (bent), but most likely alignment is the issue.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Instructor

thx guys, I learned my lesson. Driving under any sort of influence does not pay.

Gonna have my alignment checked out at pep boys tommrow, most likely the dealer will charge a arm and a leg.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ndabunka
OK, Let me get this straight... You were driving drunk. You were SO drunk that you didn't see a DIVIDER in the highway. You HIT IT and now you write about it on here asking for advice? FU buddy...
Not that I condone driving drunk, but he did say he wasn't really drunk. I'm sure lots of people on here have exaggerated at one time or another.

Besides, I guessed the location of this incident, because I know people hit that particular divider all the time, because it's damn near impossible to see. It's a curb that sticks out, that you can't see when you are making a left turn onto Santa Monica Blvd. (Hell, I know people that hit it that were already on Santa Monica Blvd, because the lines are impossible to see in the rain, let alone the curb).

We have really good drainage in LA/OC on most freeways and last night the water was accumulating on the road all over
Eh? You're kidding right? The drainage in LA absolutely sucks. When I lived down there, every time it rained a decent amount, they closed the 110 freeway @ the 105 interchange because it would be under water, as well as several other interchanges and onramps. (Like the carpool onramp near Exposition Blvd). If you want to see how a freeway looks like, that has proper drainage, come visit us folks in the Pacific Northwest
Old 02-13-2005, 02:59 AM
Drifting

Too add to what has already been stated... The streets/freeways in LA are not really designed with foul weather in mind. If you come to the Pacific Northwest, you'll notice:

1.) Most all major streets and highways have really bright white reflectors on the painted dotted lines, and really bright yellow reflectors on the double yellow lines, as well as the left shoulder.

2.) Most all streets have the shoulders and curbs painted with a highly reflective white or yellow paint.

3.) Most all dividers/curbs have a flashing yellow light mounted where the divider/curb starts. Low curbs used as dividers usually have flush mounted flashing lights built into the curb itself. All other dividers have really bright yellow reflectors in front of them in a triangle shape.

4.) City ordinances in the metro area require that curbside storm drains be placed withing something like every 100ft or something like that. In rural areas, where a storm drain is not provided, there is almost always an actual ditch (looks more like a creek), on the side of the road, which will dump into a major storm drain. (Not like those pitiful indentations they call drainage, they have in metro LA streets)

When I lived in LA, Santa Monica Blvd didn't have any reflectors in the lanes. Heck, even the paint was worn. The paint isn't reflective either. That curb is also not painted at all, with no reflectors on it. Now you see why it's easy to hit?

If state/local regulations didn't require the stuff I mentioned above, the Pacific Northwest would come to a grinding halt whenever it rained. It probably doesn't traditionally rain enough in LA to warrant such regulations.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:12 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
GUYS why are you bustin this guys chops? He prolly had a burger and beer? I do that shit all the time.

Buddy prolly had .04 BAC.
Rain was a factor.
Low visibility.
Poorly marked/designed road.

Shit happens.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
GUYS why are you bustin this guys chops? He prolly had a burger and beer? I do that shit all the time.

Rain was a factor.
Low visibility.

Shit happens.

Exactly... Now we can move on

Err, maybe I shoudn't have used that smiley
Old 02-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Shift_faster

Rain was a factor.
Low visibility.

Shit happens.
He said he was driving "kind of drunk and faded." Usually people don't exaggerate that, instead they usually UNDERPLAY the amount of alcohol they consumed (unless it is a contest).

He also said he wants to take it to Acura since it is still under warranty. Something I do not think is right.

However, you are correct that we should move on....since drinking was not the only factor.

I think you should take it to get inspected either at Acura or a wheel/suspension shop. Hopefully it is only your alignment, not a major suspension issue.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:32 AM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Rain was a factor.
Low visibility.

Shit happens.
Damn, I'm so upset that you beat me to it. You guys on here sound like a bunch of flaming homos, especially this guy;
Originally Posted by NoRespect
yea... Why not try to get the f-up fixed under warranty. Do you have any honor? What standard do you live to? Where do you draw the line?
Anytime someone on here says anything about drinking and driving this board goes ape shit; it's so pathetic. If you get hammered and you wreck your car, then oh well, you deserved it. If you want to try and take advantage of Acura for your fuck up, go right ahead. It's not going to work but I'll applaud you for the effort. Oh well you learned your lesson. And that lesson should be don't post on a forum when the demographic is male, 40-ish, sober, gay, follow the rules nazi, flame anyone who doesn't follow the rules, has no life, and never gets off the computer.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Racer

and don't forget the most important demographic of the board, EnJ...

we're smart enough to understand the consequences of our actions.

Yoda:
drinks-like-a-fish-when-drinking,
straight,
follows-the-rules-when-they-make-sense,
could give a damn if someone else doesn't (since I'll be reading about you on www.darwinawards.com anyway)... unless of course it hurts me or those around me. Then I'll beat your a$$ ,
has done more in life than you probably ever will,
is now going to take my plane out for a spin... cause being on the computer all day wasting time trading barbs is not what I do
Old 02-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by EnJ
Damn, I'm so upset that you beat me to it. You guys on here sound like a bunch of flaming homos, especially this guy;

Anytime someone on here says anything about drinking and driving this board goes ape shit; it's so pathetic. If you get hammered and you wreck your car, then oh well, you deserved it.
What happens when he gets wrecked, and kills your mother instead of damaging his car? Does she deserve it?

Drinking and driving is not OK because he didn't kill someone this time. That's like me telling you that I fired my gun at a crowd of kindengardeners, but I didn't hit any, so it was ok. Fucking loser.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
In my opinion, you got off easy. You should have been hauled off to jail and had your license suspended. What the heck were you thinking? If you have ANY alcohol, you shouldn't drive. This is the closest I have ever been to wishing that you would have been thrown through the windshield.

Sorry. My second cousin (who I was close with) was killed by a drunk driver.

On that note, you might be able to get it repaired under warranty, but I doubt it. This is your mistake, so you should pay for it.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EnJ

Anytime someone on here says anything about drinking and driving this board goes ape shit; it's so pathetic. If you get hammered and you wreck your car, then oh well, you deserved it. If you want to try and take advantage of Acura for your fuck up, go right ahead. It's not going to work but I'll applaud you for the effort. Oh well you learned your lesson. And that lesson should be don't post on a forum when the demographic is male, 40-ish, sober, gay, follow the rules nazi, flame anyone who doesn't follow the rules, has no life, and never gets off the computer.

There is NO excuse for driving drunk. Like someone else said, if a drunk hit a member of your family, I doubt you'd be talking like this. Drink all you want, just dont drive and hurt others by your actions.

As for the guy who started this thread, your lucky nobody hauled your ass off to jail. Dumbass. And then trying to make Acura pay for the warranty.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

My comment wasn't directed at any one person...ok maybe one that I quoted, but still if you took offense to what I said (and this is directed to everyone) then maybe you fit the description. Search through the forum, you'll see all kinds of gay shit like: don't speed, don't race, don't drink and drive...ever!, etc. Give me a break, I'm sure everyone on here is guilty of one or more of those things in the past. If you learned your lesson good, if you want to pass along your story good, but why pass judgement if you're guilty of the same thing? Some of you know you are. For those that have been good little boys their whole lives, you haven't lived, hence the reason you pass judgement on a car forum.

In my post I said if you get drunk and wreck your car you deserved it. I didn't say anything about killing an innocent driver, possibly one of your family members. If that's the case then yeah, you go to jail, have fun. But I never said anything about hurting or killing anyone else, and neither did the original poster.

If the original poster wants to try to get his car fixed under warranty by scaming acura then so be it. I don't see anything wrong with trying to take advantage of a major corporation; I'm sure they take advantage of people everyday. I guess me and the original poster have no morals or honor, blah.

If I offended anyone I'm soooooooo sorry, but at the same time you should take a good look at yourself and know you deserved it.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Racer

Why dont you go out there and protest in defense of murderers, rapists, and terrorists? You seem fit for that job. Goodluck.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
Why dont you go out there and protest in defense of murderers, rapists, and terrorists? You seem fit for that job. Goodluck.
i think that's a tad bit different than what he's saying. Besides he's not exactly defending the jackass who started this thread. He's just stating that people should lighten up and not pass judgement so quick.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Anyways gotta say that I don't condone drunk driving and that I learned my lesson, I made a mistake and alot of people make mistakes everyday. Let someone who has never driven and had any drinks regardless of limit cast the first stone.

The penalty for my actions appear to be more severe than I first thought. It wasn't just an alignment issue, because when I was getting it done the technician told me that my frame on the left side was screwed up. Something about the k-frame being bent or something which was causing the car to veer left even though the alignment was done.

Anyone know how much this could be? IMO it would prolly be a grand; Anyone recommend taking it to the dealer? Or to a private shop? Dealer would probably have my ass on a platter for their cost.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Drifting

Anyways gotta say that I don't condone drunk driving and that I learned my lesson, I made a mistake and alot of people make mistakes everyday. Let someone who has never driven and had any drinks regardless of limit cast the first stone.

The penalty for my actions appear to be more severe than I first thought. It wasn't just an alignment issue, because when I was getting it done the technician told me that my frame on the left side was screwed up. Something about the k-frame being bent or something which was causing the car to veer left even though the alignment was done.

Anyone know how much this could be? IMO it would prolly be a grand; Anyone recommend taking it to the dealer? Or to a private shop? Dealer would probably have my ass on a platter for their cost.
If you take it to a private shop, I heard you should look for one that has laser alignment equipment, which is used to verify trueness of the frame... At least that's what I was told when I was rearended at 50mph in my other car.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EnJ
My comment wasn't directed at any one person...ok maybe one that I quoted, but still if you took offense to what I said (and this is directed to everyone) then maybe you fit the description.

If I offended anyone I'm soooooooo sorry, but at the same time you should take a good look at yourself and know you deserved it.
Actually I wasn't offended, just amused as the naievety and blanket statements.

Personally, if you speed, race, drink and drive, I could care less. But I think that I speak for everyone when I say that you are an absolute moron when you do these things and put others in danger.

Now who here speeds? I know that I do... the car has 270 HP and I paid for it. So yeah I go over the speed limit. Do I do it with kids in the car? No... Do I drive at 90 mph in rush hour? No... Am I more tempted when nobody is around so that if something happens it is my own damn fault? Hell yes!

Same with racing. I never see a lot of posts where people are kvetching about the race itself, just the fact that someone tries to race a guy in a car with his kids... If you can't make the logical connection as to why this would irritate some people, then I can't help you (and yes, I blame the guy with the kids more, but you should know better too).

As for a DUI, the problem (with me at least) isn't the concept of you getting caught or trashing your car... that is your problem, not mine. The issue is you being unable to control your car and hurting someone else. With my luck that someone would end up being me...

Now you make the comment about learning you lesson. Let me let you in on a little secret that I have learned in my time dealing with people: People are stupid.

I know, it's earth shattering... but the average person is a complete moron who should have probably been eaten if natural selection as we know it were still around. This includes you, and me as well.

Now let's combine the concept of learning your lesson and being stupid. Do you think that they will unless something severe happens to them? Nopes... people with suspended licenses usually continue to drive with no worries, the same with folks who have gotten a DUI. And the biggest joke is listening to these people when they are in a courtroom... learn their lesson? Nopes... the only thing they did wrong in their eyes is that they got caught.

Now you made a point about some people being stodgy... it happens. We have ricers and gramps, everything inbetween on this board. Part of the whole "I wanna have you listen to me and respect my philosphies" bit is this: you have to respect their's... and when they come down on you for doing something dumb, you have to take it like a man.

Welcome to life... enjoy the ride.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 PM
trill recognize trill

drivin while drunk is soo off the heezy..all the rappers do itttt KOOL
Old 02-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HUH ????????????????????????????????????????//
Originally Posted by yunginTL
drivin while drunk is soo off the heezy..all the rappers do itttt KOOL

Quick Reply: Wham! BAM! Hit the some sort of center divider last nite!