WDP owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003 | 10:45 PM
Racer

WDP owners

Hi All,
I was washing my car this weekend and I noticed something strange. It looks as though my rear bumper does not match my car. I have asked a couple of people to look at it and they can see the diference as well. I was wondering if any of my fellow WDP owners noticed this on their cars. I 'm taking the car in for another repair on Friday and plan on discussing this with my service department.

I will post some pictures ASAP
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:19 AM
What's a TL?

Unhappy

This is pretty typical with pearl whites across many makes and models of cars. The pearl effect shows differently on plastic than it does on metal, despite the use of primers on the plastics. In fact, this is often true with regular whites also. Take a look at some other cars, I have a feeling you will see its pretty common.

It's not that it doesn't suck, its just that its a pretty normal thing- as far as I know, at least.

Please, if you find out something different from the dealer, let us know. Thanks
Old 12-17-2003 | 05:26 AM
Banned

Re: WDP owners

Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
Hi All,
I was washing my car this weekend and I noticed something strange. It looks as though my rear bumper does not match my car. I have asked a couple of people to look at it and they can see the diference as well. I was wondering if any of my fellow WDP owners noticed this on their cars. I 'm taking the car in for another repair on Friday and plan on discussing this with my service department.

I will post some pictures ASAP
Good luck to you. I also have a '03 WDP TL-S and the color difference your refering too is common amongst us WDP people. It isn't too noticeable on mine but if you do get up close to it..in the sunlight..you can see the difference between my body and my kit. It's just really a hard color to match (...I dunno why it would be so hard if you prep. the paint and car correctly but whatever). You could try getting it repainted but in my opinion, you'd just be wasting your time. Try searching for it on the 2nd. gen forums...I know it's been discussed before and if I recall correctly, some people went to the extent of getting it painted 2-3x's, but no such luck. Keep us updated and maybe they will find a solution sometime soon
Old 12-17-2003 | 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Its only an optical effect in certain lighting. Live with it.
Old 12-17-2003 | 11:01 AM
Dr. TLS

I remember many older generation owners complaining about the same thing. I have a WDP 2002 TLS since May 2001 and it seems that my problem was never as severe as some other people's (or maybe they're more picky). I found that waxing my car and keeping it clean made the problem less noticeable. Recent pics which I've been posting on every thread (LOL):

Old 12-17-2003 | 11:25 AM
WDP Director of R & D

All of the above statements are correct.
Almost any metallic/pearl effect (and solid color) paints will look different in terms of color between plastic/fiberglass/rubber parts and sheetmetal. Some colors definitely more apparent than others. Some of it is due to the paint surface but much has to do with the way the metallic/pearl "lays" when sprayed. During the manufacturing process - moldings, bumpers, etc are painted separately from the majority of the car body. This process, given different spaying conditions, can cause minor differences.
Due to the way light is reflected of metallics/pearls, having the sun or light hitting panels at different angles will also give the effect that the color is different. My bright blue metallic 99 Civic Si was the same way. Paint job was perfect but at some lighting conditions/angles you would swear the front and/or back had been repaired...

Bottom line, if its a subtle difference slightly noticeable given certain angles, lighting etc I wouldn't worry about it nor even think about having someone repaint it.. Now, if one looks white and the other an off cream, like the white "base coat" was mixed wrong, then that would be a different story.

Easy for me to say now.... My WDP TL should arrive this weekend:wow:
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:21 PM
Racer

I had this problem with my white Solara. The difference increased over time, and could only be solved by re-painting.

My paint shop says it is caused by some chemical leaching out of the polyurethane bumper that causes the paint to dis-color over time. It is most noticeable with light colors.

They said that the primers are getting better at this, and Honda seems to have it under control the most, but it can still be a problem.
Old 12-19-2003 | 11:22 PM
Racer

It was me!! I was at the dealer today and they had a 04 wdp on the lot it was exactly the same..

Thanks for your comments