3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ways Around Tinted Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM
TL SL ML :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final...that blows, fortunately cops in the princeton area don't bother for tints at all...least now I know to stay out of Monmouth County once I get tints on the TL haha
Old 03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by lusid
If your mom is a doc Final, wouldnt the cop be smart enough to read the name off the letter head ?

heh, gl if it works though.
Not if a different doctor writes it.

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Final...that blows, fortunately cops in the princeton area don't bother for tints at all...least now I know to stay out of Monmouth County once I get tints on the TL haha
Yea... this isnt the best place to pass through in general. Youll get pulled over for "hitting a turn too fast" when you were going 5 under. WATCH OUT! Theyre catching bad guys.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Final,

I've been pulled over quite a few times in Monmouth... I'm usually let go. I'm stubborn too and i really like my tint (5%) and it gives privacy and security, not that Monmouth County is bad, but up north where i work is not so great of an area, you know what I mean?. I know it sucks but you're just gonna have to deal with it, bro.

What part of Monmouth? I'm in Union Beach/Keyport area.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Opium den in

Im around the Marlboro/Colts Neck area. But yea I dont need people staring at me or at my car. Besides people get so mad when they try to give you a mean look if you cut them off in traffic and they cant see you Now thats priceless.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Final
Im around the Marlboro/Colts Neck area. But yea I dont need people staring at me or at my car. Besides people get so mad when they try to give you a mean look if you cut them off in traffic and they cant see you Now thats priceless.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jsong83
no use,
the tint law in PA is 70% front, 70% rear...the most strict in the US
what the hell is the point of 70% tint. i would rather have none at all than waste the money. but i think the TL factory windows are tinted 70% but i could be wrong.
I'm sorry, being allowed to have some tint on the front does not make you the strictest in the US.

I cant have ANYTHING on the front window. (doenst stop me, but still)
Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Opium den in

Anyone here from southern states? Are you guys allowed to have tint cause of the heat?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:38 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Here in Georgia, they just reinstated the tint law. We can't have anything below 32%. I was hoping to get 20% when I had gotten mine tinted, but chose not to be a cop magnet by going with 35%. Besides, my county used to be notorious for speed traps along the interstate freeway.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM
10th Gear

I live in miami.... they dont give 2 shits...

Old 03-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Opium den in

Lol this is about when the thread turns into a "who's car is hotter" contest
Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They got me for my tint last night. The cop said he was stopping me because my tint was too dark. Legal limit in MD is 35%, he pulled his tester out and my driver front window was at 24%. He gave me a repair order and 10 days to remove it and have the car inspected. It sux but what can you do. I've had that tint for over 3 years.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by acur8ly
They got me for my tint last night. The cop said he was stopping me because my tint was too dark. Legal limit in MD is 35%, he pulled his tester out and my driver front window was at 24%. He gave me a repair order and 10 days to remove it and have the car inspected. It sux but what can you do. I've had that tint for over 3 years.
Damn... looks like you ran into Maryland's finest.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
TX 35% front and I think 20% rears
Old 03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
321 whp SAE

THERE IS AN EXEMPTION I've had ane exemption for tint for 6 years now. You have to call the "medical unit" of the dmv and get a form. this form needs to be taken to the doctor, filled out and sent back to trenton. they then send you an exemption card. It's great. Actually i have a skin disorder so it's all legit. Cops look at the card and hand it right back and say "i'm sorry, have a nice day" i would rather not have the skin condition, but hey, it has it's advantages!! lol
Old 03-29-2007, 03:21 PM
321 whp SAE

Word. Lol ok I have a story while were at it. I just got back to my dorm. I went home to pick up my phone charger cause I forgot it when I came back to the dorms on Sunday. I hop off Route 18 and Im on the main street to my house and a cop makes a u-turn in mid day on a busy road, so of course Im thinking - Im f*cked. I turn my hazards on, pull into a development and I get surrounded by nothing less than SWAT. So apparently some black Acura was radioed in doing over 110 on Route 18 (a 45 which much later turns into a 55 and eventually turns into a 65). So I said - "theres more than one black Acura on Route 18, and thats its a good thing that in this country you cant be incriminated purely on circumstantial evidence with no radar printout nor eye witness" So after every patrolman took turns reading my abstract on the computer, she rewarded my intelligence with an unclear plate ticket (even though I had my plate on my windshield) and a tinted windows ticket. I find it hilarious because this is the 3rd time that the MOMENT, literally moment that I get back into my township I get pulled over. I also told her I had gotten both of these tickets less than a week ago and that I had a court date for it but she still felt the need to issue me these tickets. Good thing there was backup

Problem is .. you're 19.. they older you are the more respect you get from these cops, even if you are in the wrong..
Old 03-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
THERE IS AN EXEMPTION I've had ane exemption for tint for 6 years now. You have to call the "medical unit" of the dmv and get a form. this form needs to be taken to the doctor, filled out and sent back to trenton. they then send you an exemption card. It's great. Actually i have a skin disorder so it's all legit. Cops look at the card and hand it right back and say "i'm sorry, have a nice day" i would rather not have the skin condition, but hey, it has it's advantages!! lol
You have the number to this medical unit by any chance? Ive never heard of this. And all of the DMV numbers are unlisted, so do you have to drive there?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:55 PM

hey bklynpanman....can you get me one...I'd pay you
Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Opium den in

hey bklynpanman....can you get me one...I'd pay you
Lol it doesnt work like that haha
Old 04-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have the number to this medical unit by any chance? Ive never heard of this. And all of the DMV numbers are unlisted, so do you have to drive there?
unlisted? Took me about 10 minutes. I just recently got lasik and have been having problems with bright lights/sunny days. I think I found my legit way to full tint.

Medical Unit
By phone
(609) 292-7500 ext. 5032

By fax
(609) 292-7504

Even more information

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/sunscreening.htm

Sun-screening for medical reasons

Related Links
Form MR-15: Request for Medical Exemption
to Apply Vehicle Sun-screening
Due to certain medical conditions, some drivers may need to have the windows of their vehicles tinted or "sun-screened" in a way that is not legal for other drivers. This page explains how to certify your need for sun-screening and get a "medical exemption card" from MVC for a specific vehicle.

* First you need a copy of Form MR-15: Request for Medical Exemption to Apply Vehicle Sun-screening [34k pdf]. You may also request this form by phone at (609) 292-7500 ext. 5032.
* A licensed physician must answer the questions on the form and sign it
* Completed forms may be faxed to (609) 292-7504 or mailed to Medical Fitness Review Unit, P.O Box 173 , Trenton , NJ 08666-0173
* Within 3-6 weeks, MVC will mail you a "medical exemption card" that authorizes you to have specially sun-screened windows. The card is only valid for one driver and one vehicle, both of which are specified on the card
* Sun-screening businesses are required to check your "medical exemption card" before applying sun-screening that is not permitted under ordinary circumstances. All window tints must meet New Jersey guidelines to pass inspection. For your convenience, MVC maintains the following list of licensed tinting facilities:
Old 04-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

i think the best thing is to find one of those companies that fights your tickets for you and you just pay half either way. It saves you a trip to court.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:50 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread is funny as shit!

"Hey, can you get me one?"

"Sure I can get you one...pause...NOT!"
Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by darksom1
This thread is funny as shit!

"Hey, can you get me one?"

"Sure I can get you one...pause...NOT!"
Haha yea... after the first couple posts I saw it go down the drain Btw nice find Deke
Old 04-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Haha I was jokin but yeah...for the most part you can just tint all the windows and not have any real problems until inspection time when you just find a mechanic who's authorized and grease his hand to get it approved....in FINAL's case it just sucks that the local POPO's are SOOOOO ANAL
Old 04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Pro

Not to hijack this thread, but coming from having experience in the Law Enforcement field, it's not the "tint" that's the problem. It's the Officer's safety that is the issue. Approaching a car, especially at night is scary enough under normal circumstances. When you throw something like tint that is LIMO into the mixture, it makes even more scary. In fact, most cops will actually have their hands on their gun when they approach such a vehicle. I personally like tint, but I don't condone going so dark that no one can see in. If I were you, just go lighter on the front, this will help avoid any future contact with Law Enforcement. Also, just a little note... If you do happen to get pulled over for tint, roll down ALL of your windows and turn on your dome light (if it's dark out). This will enable the Officer to see into your car as he approaches it and see who he/she is dealing with. Best of luck!

Jeff

P.s. The fines are not worth it. Here they are $75!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperStar
I'm sorry, being allowed to have some tint on the front does not make you the strictest in the US.

I cant have ANYTHING on the front window. (doenst stop me, but still)
id rather have no tint rather than split it. any car looks ugly with tint in the back but none in the front. but to my knowledge, most states that have the law "no tints in front" have "unlimited tint in back" rule so people that dont mind the "ugliness" lucked out.

i think the pa law is worse because if you have a 3g TL, the windows are already factory tinted at 70% (to my knowledge). so that means were not allowed to have any tint on the car whatsoever. i dont know how you would describe it but pa tint law is definitely more strict than yours since youre probably allowed to have tint on your back windows.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Opium den in

Haha I was jokin but yeah...for the most part you can just tint all the windows and not have any real problems until inspection time when you just find a mechanic who's authorized and grease his hand to get it approved....in FINAL's case it just sucks that the local POPO's are SOOOOO ANAL
Yea bro tell me about it. Its just this town and the next town over, which Im rarely in, that are nuts about tint.

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Approaching a car, especially at night is scary enough under normal circumstances. When you throw something like tint that is LIMO into the mixture, it makes even more scary. In fact, most cops will actually have their hands on their gun when they approach such a vehicle. I personally like tint, but I don't condone going so dark that no one can see in. If I were you, just go lighter on the front, this will help avoid any future contact with Law Enforcement. Also, just a little note... If you do happen to get pulled over for tint, roll down ALL of your windows and turn on your dome light (if it's dark out). This will enable the Officer to see into your car as he approaches it and see who he/she is dealing with. Best of luck!

Jeff
I beg to differ with you. Scared is FAR from the word you should be using in my case. One of "them," which I happen to know from my 2-year tint experience, cut across route 9, if you guys dont know what that is in NJ, its a main highway, almost crashed into oncoming traffic, just to pull me over for tinted windows. By the way he did this twice, before pulling me over. He cut across a highway, that didnt even have concrete but had dirt in the middle to give me a tinted windows ticket. His RWD car spun out on the dirt and there was almost a 4 car pileup with oncoming traffic. Ok maybe I deserve the tint ticket but are you going to give yourself the 3-point illegal left ticket and a 5-point reckless driving ticket? Do I dare throw in the 2-point failure to signal ticket? And cunning enough to throw in the 2-point improper passing?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea bro tell me about it. Its just this town and the next town over, which Im rarely in, that are nuts about tint.

I beg to differ with you. Scared is FAR from the word you should be using in my case. One of "them," which I happen to know from my 2-year tint experience, cut across route 9, if you guys dont know what that is in NJ, its a main highway, almost crashed into oncoming traffic, just to pull me over for tinted windows. By the way he did this twice, before pulling me over. He cut across a highway, that didnt even have concrete but had dirt in the middle to give me a tinted windows ticket. His RWD car spun out on the dirt and there was almost a 4 car pileup with oncoming traffic. Ok maybe I deserve the tint ticket but are you going to give yourself the 3-point illegal left ticket and a 5-point reckless driving ticket? Do I dare throw in the 2-point failure to signal ticket? And cunning enough to throw in the 2-point improper passing?

Damn man...they must not like you. I problably shouldn't say this...but..I haven't recieved a ticket for tint...but I don't go darker than 35%. I can't see out of that other stuff on dark rainy nights.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ryan, i think the reason most states have the law is for the reason stated above. It can prove to be dangerous to the cop that is pulling you over. (someone correct me if i'm wrong). States like Nevada, Florida, Texas, and California allow a certain % of tint b/c of the constant sun pounding on their soil. Before my dad got his Benz tinted, he got himself a minor burn just from brushing his hand against the metal of the seatbelt. That's how hot the sun gets over there. Of course, in other states, making tints illegal is another way to rake in some $$$. Hence, they're killing 2 birds w/ 1 stone. Is it unfair that they chase you down, yeah. But then again, rules are rules. And if people wanna break 'em, then you gotta own up to the consequence. Luckily for me, i haven't gotten pulled over for tints yet! *knock on wood*.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
"to teach them this art if they so desire without fee or written promise;
LOL!!! My favorite phrase in the whole thing. More like hipporcritical oath. My medical school owes me $200k if that's the case. We say that "oath" at graduation like as if it means anything. Drs. can lose their licesnses out of gross negiligence but believe me it's defintely that kind of field that it's "who you know". People hook each other up all the time. Rules are made to be broken. Dumb or immoral docs push it and get caught.

Getting a note for tint is not something anyone is gonna get in trouble for. The only risk is if you get into an accident and a lawyer tries to prove your tint caused it.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:24 AM
DuDeChEwY

lol i just got a letter from my eye doctor saying that my eyes are too sensitive to headlights and cars behind me with bright lights....and that i should get special coating on my glasses and have my car windows tinted to a moderate tint.....:-P....i got 5 percents all around except the front windshield.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by dudechewy
lol i just got a letter from my eye doctor saying that my eyes are too sensitive to headlights and cars behind me with bright lights....and that i should get special coating on my glasses and have my car windows tinted to a moderate tint.....:-P....i got 5 percents all around except the front windshield.
Because of a medical condition or so you can legally have tint?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
well i was debating on tinting my windows but i just spoke to a friend who knows a bunch of CHP's so im sure he can hook me up with them so they can sign it off IF i were to get a ticket *knock on wood*
Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
gotta pay to play but 13 times in one month is not worth the play time

drive down to NC, get a license, and a PO box (or friends house) and register your car there

is nj/ny anal enough to ticket realllly out of state cars?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by Malayalee King

drive down to NC, get a license, and a PO box (or friends house) and register your car there

NJ is... Lol my neighbor has new york plates and was pulled over by local PD and he flipped out on em. He goes "So just because Im passing through Jersey means that I need to take my tint off? I dont get bothered in NY so when I have to get my windows untinted and retinted everytime I come through" hahaha. Theyre that obnoxious around here. Well it averages out I guess when you consider that I live at school and dont get bothered. Its just that for a long time I dont get bothered, then tickets swarm. And then it subsides again. Just a pain in my ass.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by Malayalee King

NJ is... Lol my neighbor has new york plates and was pulled over by local PD and he flipped out on em. He goes "So just because Im passing through Jersey means that I need to take my tint off? I dont get bothered in NY so when I have to get my windows untinted and retinted everytime I come through" hahaha. Theyre that obnoxious around here. Well it averages out I guess when you consider that I live at school and dont get bothered. Its just that for a long time I dont get bothered, then tickets swarm. And then it subsides again. Just a pain in my ass.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To the point of the law enforcement guy, I got pulled over for once for having a clear license plate cover. Before stopping completely, I rolled down all my windows, flipped on my dome light and put my hands on the steering wheel. He let me go for being "aware of the dangers they face" and for giving him the courtesty of showing him I was not a threat. He was going to investigate my tint, but because I did those things, he was very nice to me and let me go. I'm sure my military ID helped also! I have 5% rear and 20% sides by the way.

Having a great attitude usually pays off in these situations. They know the game, most of them have illegal tint on their personal vehicles. But, if you are out cruising the streets in a souped up TL at 1, 2, 3am in the morning..most people that are out are young folks looking for something to do, coming back from a club, workers coming to/from a graveyard shift and police! So, your chances for getting stopped will be way higher I think.

If I feel that an officer may question my tint, I will open up my sunroof and let in some sunlight, even at night the street lights will brighten up the car a little. But, if I had 5% all around like you do, I don't think that would help much. The 20 sides and 5 rear is a perfect combo for me, especially with tan interior.

Hope this bit of info helps. Folks with military ID's..use them when getting stopped. Most police are veterans and may give you a break. At least I've been lucky that way.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Opium den in

Nah, I used to talk my way out of every ticket but then I stopped caring and I dont even talk to them. I have my paperwork ready before they come up to my car, I hand it to them, roll up my windows and play my music while I wait for my reward(s) lol.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 AM
DuDeChEwY

Because of a medical condition or so you can legally have tint?
both.....i really do have a problem driving at night and had my doc write a letter which states due to my vision i need to have special coating on my glasses which i put on my glasses....and that i should have my windows tinted to protect my eyes....hey im fine with that....i love it.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:21 AM
DuDeChEwY

I hear ya man....route 9 is a bitch....ive gotten pulled over down there 3 times myself....one was for tints, the second one was for tailgating, and the last one was speeding....theyll do anything to give u a ticket in jersey.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CJITTY
. Before stopping completely, I rolled down all my windows, flipped on my dome light and put my hands on the steering wheel. He let me go for being "aware of the dangers they face" and for giving him the courtesty of showing him I was not a threat. At least I've been lucky that way.
lucky you. i roll them all the way down too. that's why they have to ask me to roll them back up 1/2 way so they can ticket me.

Quick Reply: Ways Around Tinted Windows