Water to oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water to oil cooler

Was reading about the v6 accord swap im going to be doing soon and saw on here
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...o-pics-915808/

A member mentioned a water to oil cooler being replaced for longevity purposes of the new used tranny, my question is what is it its function and the part number if possible please
Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you talking about adding an oil cooler then and a water sprayer to cool the oil cooler? Placement of the cooler is important. I would think that having a dedicated oil cooler and possibly a fan behind it for driving at lower speeds when you don't have the airflow. I'm not sure that a water sprayer for the oil cooler is that necessary. You usually see those for intercoolers and it's a mix of alcohol and water. To me that's a bit overboard and a lot of work to just drive your car around. If you were racing your TL (why?) I could see it, but not for normal daily driving.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
I don't have an auto...so I may off base...but my assumption of what that thread was referring to was the built-in cooler in the radiator. I "thought" that is what the OEM transmission cooler was....so technically it may be a water to oil cooler since it "may" use the engine coolant to help with heat transfer...although I am not sure if it is actually using the coolant, or just sharing some space on the lower radiator to capture air flow.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Glorygang600
Was reading about the v6 accord swap im going to be doing soon and saw on here
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...o-pics-915808/

A member mentioned a water to oil cooler being replaced for longevity purposes of the new used tranny, my question is what is it its function and the part number if possible please
The function of the part is to use engine coolant to maintain the temperature of the automatic transmission fluid. It also helps speed up the process of heating the transfluid up to operating temperature.

It's the part number from an 05 Acura TL Automatic Trans is .19430-RCA-A51

The reason why you would replace it is if the transmission became damaged and you contaminated the cooler. Then got the new trans and used the cooler from the damaged trans you have the potential of having contaminates being in the old oil cooler contaminating your nice new transmission.

I didn't use an oil cooler until after my new motor was tuned and broken in on my Integra. The reason behind this is if the motor lets go, I didn't contaminate my expensive engine oil cooler in the process.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
I don't have an auto...so I may off base...but my assumption of what that thread was referring to was the built-in cooler in the radiator. I "thought" that is what the OEM transmission cooler was....so technically it may be a water to oil cooler since it "may" use the engine coolant to help with heat transfer...although I am not sure if it is actually using the coolant, or just sharing some space on the lower radiator to capture air flow.
I didn't pay attention to that on my TL, but I'm guessing that the radiator and transmission cooler are an all-in-one unit. I would really be shocked if it wasn't. If that's the case then spraying water/alcohol probably won't do very much if anything at all. I would add a cooler in-line and after it passes through the radiator if you're going do anything.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
The function of the part is to use engine coolant to maintain the temperature of the automatic transmission fluid. It also helps speed up the process of heating the transfluid up to operating temperature.

It's the part number from an 05 Acura TL Automatic Trans is .19430-RCA-A51

The reason why you would replace it is if the transmission became damaged and you contaminated the cooler. Then got the new trans and used the cooler from the damaged trans you have the potential of having contaminates being in the old oil cooler contaminating your nice new transmission.

I didn't use an oil cooler until after my new motor was tuned and broken in on my Integra. The reason behind this is if the motor lets go, I didn't contaminate my expensive engine oil cooler in the process.
what about the lines connected to it?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Glorygang600
what about the lines connected to it?
Google it, I use Acura OEM parts, click on the part number in my post.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:26 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Honestly doubt you'll need to replace it, but it can't hurt. If you're getting a new cooler (warmer as Honda calls it), just get new lines.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Would this be enough? even if I don't put a new line filter?