3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy TL; BUT, I am leery because of...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just bought an Acura

Just bought a 2004 Acura TL, AT, w/ Navi...

Had a 2000 Nissan Maxima before, and test drove the BMW 530, MB E320, and Infiniti G35...

For a 4 door sports sedan, you really can't beat the price, performance, and features. Haven't had a lot of time to drive the car, but definitely enjoy the experience.

Anyone recommend the A-spec package?

Thanks,
Vic
Old 02-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gstais
I guess you are already predisposed to not buying a TL. So I would suggest you do everyone a favor and NOT buy one. Your perceived cons far outweigh your pros.

Too bad the TL is a really great car!
Actually, I haven't decided not to buy a TL. However, I do believe one should not go blindly into a buying decision which some apparently do and live to regret it. The "perceived cons" are anything but perceived. They are real issues amply documented on this board and elsewhere, particularly the issues with vibrations, rattles, and poor leather quality.

The TL is a great car . . . if you get one without these problems.

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

-- Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry
Old 02-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Riu
2004 TL

It does not look to me that you will buy a TL. But i would do all the research you need to. $35,000 is a lot of money.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Everyone has a comfort point, mine is my 05 TL. It has a few of the very minor issues mentioned; not worth talking or thinking about IMHO. Main things for me is the car is fast and comfortable enough for the price. Very few if any reports of G3 TL's leaving anyone stranded or spending weeks in the shop waiting for parts.

If you read far enough into the forum, you might determine that some injuries are self-inflicted! Some people also turn everything off and listen for silence. In 18.000 miles, my car has required one dealer repair for a malfunction. This is close enough to perfect for me. Some cars have cronic problems that repeatedly leave you stranded, choose your poison.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chester
My 06 TL has 300 miles on it, and both doors rattle so much I can hardly stand it, they rattle when you close them, when you open them, when you hit a manhole cover, a bump, when you play music, hell, listening to a stand up bass on the stereo (even at volumes as low as 13-14) is basically pointing out the rattles in the car from one side to another. My seatbelt rattles (The retractor thing right next to your ear). I am sure all of these can be rememdied...but sheesh!
Stop bitching about rattle. TL is a perfect car.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustinZ
thats because the TSX build quality is better than the TL - as it was designed and built in japan
As someone who traded in an '05 TL for an '06 TSX about 1.5 weeks ago, all I can say is "amen!" I can't believe the two cars are made by the same company.

The one good thing about the TL is that it holds it value if you decide to trade it in. After 12,000 miles, I only lost $2200.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WooBah
I would buy a TL today; but, I am leery because of all the stories about rattles and fit quality. The transmissions issues seemed to have been fixed with the 06 model, correct?

But, I read on the various Acura Forums post after post regarding rattles on the TL, including the 06 model. It is consistent across ALL the Forums, and they are major complaints, and plentiful. I also see a lot of posts about the quality of fit and finish on the TL, chip painting, panels not aligning etc.....

I love the value of the TL, it offers 90% of the performance of a BMW 330i at a saving of about $9,000. It has to be pushed pretty darn hard to find its limitations, something I am very unlikely to ever do. So, I would love to buy a TL today! But, I am very leery to pull the trigger when I read about the problems and they seem so profound.

On the 3 Series, 2006 model year (E90) forums, the car gets universal praise, as well as from the professional reviewers. The posters post about the upscale fit and finish, the great ride, and the great performance their 325i or 330i. Of course, there are some complaints, but they are very minor and very minimal, extremely minimal compared to the complaints from TL Owners.

I am by no means trying to slam the TL, because I honestly want to be able to buy one, and buy immediately. BUT, I am so leery now because of the rattles and fit and finish issues. I have test driven TL's that do not appear to have rattles, but many of the posts state the rattles show up after a few months.

I sure would not want to spend $35,000 on a car, which includes the California Sales tax of 8 percent, then have a rattle box. If that is indeed the case, I would rather pay the extra $9,000 and have a car that will give me pleasure, not buyers remorse.

Now, if a TL can be purchased without being a rattle box, plagued with fit and quality issues, it is the BEST BUY in the Auto market! No Question!

Any comments or opinions, suggestions?
If U rather pay 9K or more go right ahead. Go buy 3series and in a couple of years you will spend more money on repairs.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by priggly
I also like the TL and want to buy one but these are my concerns:

- driveline vibration/harmonic distortion history at highway speeds
- assorted rattles and squeaks (I hate these noises in a car. They are a throwback to the 60's and 70's and should not be present in any modern automobile, regardless of price.)
- premature seat leather wear (even the cars on the showroom floors of dealers look three years old!)
- pulling to the right or left (saleman says the car is exquisitely sensitive to road crown; I test drove three separate cars in a row which pulled to the right, two more subsequently did not. Consistency is obviously a problem.)
- the gauges are not particularly legible, particularly in bright sunlight. I drive in both the US and Canada and the secondary mph numbers inside the kph numbers on the Canadian spec cars are virtually invisible.
- the ride is rough over all but the smoothest roads. This is not particularly noticeable on short rides such as test drives but on long drives becomes somewhat of a problem. Yes, it is a "sporty" ride but I suspect would be fatiguing on bad pavement over a long drive or period of time.
- smallish trunk with rigid rear seatbacks so that the utility of the car is compromised (this will not be a problem for most).

Otherwise, the car is quite commendable, has both superb sound system and navigation, is of high value, is way above average in safety according to informedforlife.org and obviously those who have a copy that does not vibrate, rattle, etc. are pleased. Those who do not are emphatically not so.

How therefore does one know if one is getting Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde? To quote Shakespeare, "Aye, there's the rub." Driving the car you actually buy helps but is not really the equivalent of two or three months of ownership when some of these problems seemingly become apparent.

One more point, in your comparison shopping don't omit checking out the new Lincoln Zephyr, soon to become the MKZ. It is a very nice car: quiet, refined, super sound system and navigation, great seats with high quality leather that does not crack and crease, excellent ride quality, superb 6-speed automatic transmission with seamless shifting, equivalent warranty to the TL BUT it also comes with prepaid maintenance for a period of time. The only drawback presently is an inadequate 3.0L engine which takes 8 seconds or so to reach 60 mph but this is soon to be remedied by switching it for a new 3.5L. At that point the car will be a real contender in this category.

The 330i is a great car but is hamstrung by two serious flaws: 1) the virtually universally despised iDrive which is obligatory if you want the LOGIC7 sound system or navigation and 2) run-flat tires with their inherent noise, stiffness, availability and high replacement cost issues.
Do what I did today. Buy the TL! I bought a new 2006 TL, Alabaster Silver, Quartz interior, automatic, navigation. I love it. I am very happy with the purchase. In the end, I could not justify the $11,000 more for the BMW 330i. Also, the TL holds value very, very well. So, if after a couple years, I want something else, i will trade it in, or sell it, and get something else. But, expect to be enjoying the TL. It is a great buy for a great car. The TL does not do some things the best, but it does ALL things very, very well.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WooBah
Do what I did today. Buy the TL! I bought a new 2006 TL, Alabaster Silver, Quartz interior, automatic, navigation. I love it. I am very happy with the purchase. In the end, I could not justify the $11,000 more for the BMW 330i. Also, the TL holds value very, very well. So, if after a couple years, I want something else, i will trade it in, or sell it, and get something else. But, expect to be enjoying the TL. It is a great buy for a great car. The TL does not do some things the best, but it does ALL things very, very well.
Congratulations! Enjoy your car and may it continue to please you long into the future.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
I haven't read every response on this thread, but whether you're leasing or buying your next vehicle, the BMW 330i will be significantly higher than the TL. More appropriate competitors would be the IS350 or G35 sedan.

That being said, I drive a 2003 TL Type-S and love every minute of it. No rattles + no visits to the dealer = no regrets. I'm not a total fan of the '04+ body style and the un-Acura/Honda-like high dash, but I realize looks and tastes are subjective, so in looking at the car's merits of build quality and performance, the TL is hard to beat.

With an MSRP of $35,440 (invoice $31,186), the IS350 is a strong competitor to the TL. I'm not a big fan of Toyota, so I'm a little biased there...but RWD and 306hp is tough to ignore...
Old 02-28-2006, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

I just picked up my new Royal Blue/Parchement TL 6MT last week, trading in my 2001 BMW 330xi. So far, the TL is rattle-free and great to drive - quicker than the BMW. I traded in the BMW because of growing concerns about reliability. I have owned Hondas for years and I had more problems with the BMW in one year than with all of the Hondas combined over 20+ years. The BMW has some superb engineering features, but they come at a price. I fully expect my TL to be significantly more reliable than the BMW was.

My wife thought the BMW was okay, but she loves the TL (I'm trying to find her keys to hide them ). I am certain that (for me) I made the right choice in getting the TL.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by GeraldB
My '05 TL is a year old with no rattles. I do have a minor gripe about that 1500 rpm vibration at neighborhood speeds; it's not noticeable on the highway. I sure don't understand paying more for a BMW. I'm a little bugged that some newer cars have more horsepower - including the '06 Impala and '07 Camry, for cripe's sake - but I'm sure I made the right choice in '05 and I think I'd choose the TL today also. Great car.
Its under warranty so go get the 1500 RPM thing FIXED FOR FREE =)
Old 03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xtin
Its under warranty so go get the 1500 RPM thing FIXED FOR FREE =)
there is no fix for the 1500 RPM "thing" yet