3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAKE UP, this is ONLY a TL ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:46 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PoochaKannInc said it perfectly. The TL won our comparisons, so none of us are going to say a 3 series is better. If we thought that way we would have bought one.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:51 PM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i read an artical this week in a auto mag that was talking about the new 05 SLK benz. it said that the new SLK got a new manual tranny, and although its not a honda/acura tranny its still 10 times better then the old SLK's tranny.
now what do you think that means, hu?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:09 PM
7th Gear

I drive 04 TL to work and shopping center, weekend car 99 NSX.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:10 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by savageTL
Well saddle up my friend but you'll have to catch my 3 series to run me off the road...and it ain't gonna happen in your TL

Just for you DopeTL04: http://hometown.aol.com/imalitig8r/index.html

Vandy
GOOD ONE!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Well saddle up my friend but you'll have to catch my 3 series to run me off the road...and it ain't gonna happen in your TL

Vandy
Someone hasn't been reading his Car & Driver. TL does beat 3 series. Sorry.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Hahah ... it is funny ... I wish you had used your 'spell checker', too ... What is 'Boxter'? ... I guess I need to do more car research. What is 'our right and priviledge'? Are you sure not left? 'Priviledge'? I guess I need to 'practice my language skills', too ... haha :thefinger It is so low and stupid to pick on others' spelling in these forums like a fifth grade kid ... maybe I should take it to your teacher to proof-read my post.

Originally Posted by SPURS&ANTH.TL
The correct Spelling is: Bavarian Motor Works I wish this forum had spell checker... the first post on this thread needs to be taken back to a fifth Grade teacher for proofing.... Geez.....

I test drove both Porsche models Boxter and 911. Those cars take curves like they're riding on rails.... Awesome.... BUT SO WHAT??? THE ride feels like crap.... every bump is more than felt. It's a race car chassis for pete's sake... The Acura TL was built with the intention of it going up against the BMW 5 series and I think they met that goal and by my estimation exceeded it. Better NAV sys by far... much more attractive layout, more standard HP etc etc.... Why keep comparing apples to oranges...

BMW has not nor does it appear to be able to build something as nice as the TL anywhere near the price range.... END of STORY....

Whatever the TL has or doesn't have that we may want to talk to death is our right and priviledge so "cuteman" go practice your language skills and do more car research....
Old 05-05-2004, 10:39 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cesci
And you didn't click the link did you? That's an M3 my friend!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by Cesci
TL won't touch my 330Ci ZHP...

And to the person commenting on how all BMW owners have their noses in the air, you can count me off that list. Even when my 3er arrives (the wait is killing me), I'll still be that guy craning my neck around to get a good look at a passing TL.

To the person who started this thread, you're a moron. Just let people enjoy their awesome cars. The fact that they got them at an awesome price is just a bonus.

Zeezz, right on man. When I was originally shopping for a TL, this forum was very informative and fun at the same time. Now, it seems like half these posts are petty putdowns of other cars and school yard bickering. This kind of thing only makes other types of car owners seem that much more classy.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I will never buy a P.O.S. BMW again. Once in a lifetime was enough. Besides, my 04TL is better than my '99 BMW 323 Convertible in every way, with the exception of the convertible part.

My 04TL handles better, has 60% more HP and 30% more torque, more comfortable seating ... and ... most importantly ... I get to actually drive my 04TL because it isn't sitting in the shop going through innumerable repairs.

If I had $100,000, would I buy an 04TL? You bet. I'll just invest the remaining $65,000 in the stock market (or maybe property) like a wise person would.

Unless you have quite a few million dollars to throw away, spending $100,000 on a car is just plain foolish. The difference in performance won't usually be that noticable in everyday driving.

However, if your everyday driving does significantly bring out the performance differences, you probably are driving on a suspended license ...
Old 05-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLud
TL won't touch my 330Ci ZHP...
in price, i agree
To the person who started this thread, you're a moron. Just let people enjoy their awesome cars. The fact that they got them at an awesome price is just a bonus.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cutemp
If I have 100K to spend on a car, (which mean a REAL luxury car, not an Acura!), I would never get a TL, and you know you wouldn't neither. Just because this is the BEST car in the world that people in here can afford or willing to spend on car, it doesn't make it the REAL BEST car in the world! :thefinger

Wha????? English, please.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up

Vandy
Old 05-06-2004, 12:53 AM

[QUOTE=thegre8tone]Originally Posted by savageTL

Vandy/QUOTE]

Now that is a car. M3 is one of the greatest cars made today.
OMG, that sign is priceless.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:11 AM
10th Gear

To the homo who started the thread. This site is called ACURA-TL.com. Of course we are going to be in here talking about the car that we purchased or hope to purchase and that we love. So if you don't like it, go hang out at a BMW site, talk about your car, and piss off.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:12 AM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
in price, i agree

grrr....true true, but I was gonna get the a-spec on the TL, so it wasn't too bad
Old 05-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Racer

your 3 series is not in competition with the tl no matter what you think or what any tl owner thinks. the guy earlier in this sorry topic has it right: the tl is using the previous generation 530 as competition. they look very similar intentionally. personally I like the look of the new 5 series much better but despite bmw's superior handling the 530 is not better than my tl. its not built as well does not come with comparable features STANDARD and most likely will not be as reliable. last I read acura was far ahead of bmw on reliability/problem surveys by OWNERS. you can look down your nose all you want at the tl. I was the same way until I drove one. and I left a benz for the tl. the 5 series interior is so bad that I wont drive one. 44 grand for fucking 'leatherette'? it comes with nothing and is cheaply made. oh and the only 3 series thats going to beat a tl is an M. but it rides like shit so who cares.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:16 AM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by digital_b
your 3 series is not in competition with the tl no matter what you think or what any tl owner thinks. the guy earlier in this sorry topic has it right: the tl is using the previous generation 530 as competition. they look very similar intentionally. personally I like the look of the new 5 series much better but despite bmw's superior handling the 530 is not better than my tl. its not built as well does not come with comparable features STANDARD and most likely will not be as reliable. last I read acura was far ahead of bmw on reliability/problem surveys by OWNERS. you can look down your nose all you want at the tl. I was the same way until I drove one. and I left a benz for the tl. the 5 series interior is so bad that I wont drive one. 44 grand for fucking 'leatherette'? it comes with nothing and is cheaply made. oh and the only 3 series thats going to beat a tl is an M. but it rides like shit so who cares.
I would have left a benz for the TL too. And who said I was looking down on the TL? Look at my earlier post on this same page, and you'll see how I feel about the TL. Anyways, I'm not trying to compare my 330Ci with the TL; they're two totally different cars.

Your ridiculous generalizations about the reliability, features, and cost of bmws can't be taken seriously, so I won't even respond.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:46 AM
Instructor

I think this topic is somewhat Valid. Here is my reasoning. There are many here that are young and somewhat immature that have to constantly write about the TL beating this, or is better than this car etc. The fact of the matter is, the TL is a nice car, but is not the end all of all cars. It has created a trend in the automotive world, or should I say, wake up the industry to stop gouging consumers with options that don't cost what the manufacturer states they do. Acura proved, that in a 35,000.00 car you can get a lot more for your money than most companies want to admit.
Is the technology better than a Porsche, Yes it is. the driving experience might be different. The engine, brakes and fell of a Porsche is something no Japanese manufacturer has been able to give us to date. Just like BMW and Mercedes. Sorry guys, but drive an M3, and you will know what a thrill ride is supposed to feel like. But that is the strength of these companies, Performance, and their distinct feel. Acura, is giving us a small taste of the performance, but is also trying to incorporate the entire driving experience. Sound, Communication, etc, and combining it all in one at a much lower price.
The TL is a great car, but not without it's issues. Consistant rattling, is getting annoying, the extremely soft aluminum is not really acceptable, and the leather seats, or possibly the foam underneath, is below sub par. But hey, it's a 35,000.00 car. Not a Rolls Royce Phantom.
Enjoy what you have, but until you have driven most vehicles out there don't knock what you really don't know. We all have reaons for what we drive. Hell I can get a Z06 for 55,000 and smoke most 120,000 cars. Does it make it the best. No, it makes it MY choice based on my Budget and reasoning.

Let's stop being a forum that negates all other vehicles, and try and appreciate the industry that allows this kind of competition. 2004 is the year for the TL, but I bet 2005 will be someone elses.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverBulletCLS
Yea I don't have the coin. Sure buddy. I own a $12k jetski, a $32k car and I don;t have the coin for a BMW? LOL whatever man.
and you live in a slum... I know the rest of the story.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Just to keep this dumb thread going - has anyone actually seen the latest 5 series BMW? I was flipping through Consumer Reports yesterday and they did a story on BMW, and they had a picture of the 2004 or 2005 BMW 5 series. OMG - that is now the ugliest car I have ever seen. I would not buy that car for 20K. Man, they ruined my "when I can afford one, I'm buying a 5 series" dream. Check it out - ugliest POS you'll ever see. Does not even LOOK like a BMW anymore. Oh yeah, don't forget the price changes if you want Manual vs Auto - not like on the reasonably priced, sexy as all hell, all inclusive, capital T capital L !!!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Instructor

Here is my take:

Cars are a lot like women (or men depending on your gender or proclivity), no one can satisfy all wants and needs. There are a few that are universally lusted after but even then they don't fit everyones needs. Acura has hit on a winning formula in the TSX and TL they just got it right but it isn't a magic bullet, if it was the sales would be a couple of magnitudes higher, but it is turning quite a few buyers on to a company many considered 3rd among Asian luxury name plates. Every car is a compromise and the TL is no exception. I love the TL, I think it is a great overall package but forced to make the choice my TL would be kicked to the curb and my BMW would stay in the garage. There are, however, lots of life situations that would leave the BMW at the curb. For my priorities our BMW > than our TL but it also cost $25k more but it is more of a heart car and less of a head car!

The TL is a great package of compromise, I could nit pick from now until dooms day but it just doesn't matter and the price is RIGHT. It has gorgeous lines and a great stance, there are angles I can see looking better but again it is one of the very best looking cars in the segment. When it comes to surface technology the TL is a value leader, DVDA and Bluetooth are examples, but for many they are answers to questions they didn't ask. They also keep the gadgets inexpensive since they require everyone to purchase them (except for Navi), good for some, not for all. Acura has struck a great balance in the interior area also, they didn't over spend for the market. There are a dozen areas that I could point out where they went cheap on the interior BUT they didn't go as far as Infiniti, they had the good judgement to make it "good enough"! With the drive train they balanced the situation as well, they saved money on the basic layout but gave you back a butter smooth manual tranny and a graceful V6 with excellent power. In the end the FWD platform is rarely a negative for the majority of people, if you wanted a track car would you have bought the TL?? FWD has an advantage in winter weather for some and it is better at the pump for all. However, it does sacrafice in the driving dynamics area but for many it isn't even noticed.

Everyone has priorities when buying a car and it is quite clear the TL is an extremely well balanced, reliable, value packed product and should be on the shopping list for a significant number of people. It is arguable, however, that Kia, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi and Mercedes, for example, also offer just as high a value, but, the priorities of the buyers are just different.

I personally think everyone has the right to be passionate about their cars and the TL ain't a bad car to be passionate about. As for vs threads make no mistake they are often the most viewed and posted to threads on automotive forums, further it isn't like people are going to come here and say "Damm I didn't know the TL was FWD I'm headed to the German dealer to get ridda this POS". No car is perfect but most everyone can find a car that is nearly perfect for them in their situation.

I could continue my diatribe but will end it since no one paid to read my book!

Vandy

PS to Cecsi: C&D creams when they drive my version of the 3er
Old 05-06-2004, 06:49 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Well stated.

Can't we all just get along?

Old 05-06-2004, 06:59 AM
Instructor

Well, I could have just said that but as anyone who knows me would point out I am not one to parse my verbiage.

Vandy
Old 05-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Drifting

I understand what your saying to much pride in something can be a bad thing.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Racer

Vandy

HAHAHAHA......DAMN KINDA SAD HOW MY ACURA LOOKS BETTER THAN YOUR M3, AND I SPENT 25K LESS!! AND ILL STILL RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD!! :rocketwho ONCE AGAIN PROVING MY POINT!! BMW = Big Money Waste.......... Sucks for you BIAAAAAAAAAAATCHH :thefinger
Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
HAHAHAHA......DAMN KINDA SAD HOW MY ACURA LOOKS BETTER THAN YOUR M3, AND I SPENT 25K LESS!! AND ILL STILL RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD!! :rocketwho ONCE AGAIN PROVING MY POINT!! BMW = Big Money Waste.......... Sucks for you BIAAAAAAAAAAATCHH :thefinger
Are you on drugs? Please tell me how your "ACURA" will run a HIGH POWERED M3 off the road? The TL has NO CHANCE to run a M3 off or even be near winning a race with one in a straight or a CURVY test. The M3 will slaughter your TL easily.

I would own a M3 over a DAMN TL any day even if its 10-15k more not 25k. lol

The Acura DOES not look better than a M3.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Racer

Are you on drugs? Please tell me how your "ACURA" will run a HIGH POWERED M3 off the road? The TL has NO CHANCE to run a M3 off or even be near winning a race with one in a straight or a CURVY test. The M3 will slaughter your TL easily.

Then why don't you own an M3? Can't afford it?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:23 AM
Racer

oh trust me, I WILL RUN IT OFF THE ROAD!! DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW!! :devil: If I had a 100k to spend on a car, I still wound buy a Big Money Waste M3.....I would just buy 3 TL's 1 SSM, 1 Antrachite, 1 NBP! And than I would say "I'm Rich Biiiiiiiiiiatchhhhhhh" :thefinger
Old 05-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Racer

3 series BMWs are garbage, just like the Rolex. BMWs do not get nice until you hit 540s. Rolex. Everyone owns a Rolex watch. The iced up ones are terrible. Plus, you can get one in any store in a mall for $2,500. Big deal.
Start looking at real watches, like Audemars Piguet, or Paneria.
3 series BMW drivers usually own Tags or Breitlings. They suck.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Appearance of a vehicle or what "looks better" is all personal taste. What one person loves, another person may hate.

However, specifications of the car such as weight, horsepower, torque, suspension, FWD/RWD/AWD, brakes, etc... all would play a part in which vehicle would be quicker and which car would handle better. I do know that my stock TL will not compete with a stock M3 given equal drivers, period.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RhodeRunner
Then why don't you own an M3? Can't afford it?
Because its a 2 door not a 4 door . I got the next best thing in power and handling. Too bad the 330 doesn't have more get up and go or I would have it.

What the hell is this new arguement about what people can afford? Obviously you can't thats why you got the TL. lol
Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

This thread is getting a bit ridiculous, but is sure is fun to read.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

Life is series of compromises...

I purchased my TL on March 20th and I have enjoyed it everytime I drive it. I looked at the G35 and IS300 because of RWD but could not fit comfortably in either one. I am 6'5" and that rules out quite a few cars. I really liked the 530i but could not bring myself to drop 30K for a 3 year old car with questionable reliablity and a new one was out of my price range. Now if I did not want to send any of my 3 kids to college, I would be driving a E55 or M5, but for the 31K I spent on my DWP 6MT TL, I am very satisfied.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Racer

Because its a 2 door not a 4 door . I got the next best thing in power and handling. Too bad the 330 doesn't have more get up and go or I would have it.

What the hell is this new arguement about what people can afford? Obviously you can't thats why you got the TL. lol
uhhhh the 330i with PP outperforms the G35s.

I saw the comprehensive list of cars that you have previously owned. Seems that your ownership history has been all about compromise. Again, my gut tells me that you can't afford the bimmer.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

I saw the comprehensive list of cars that you have previously owned. Seems that your ownership history has been all about compromise. Again, my gut tells me that you can't afford the bimmer.
The 330i does not outperform the G35. LOL please shut up with your BS. The G35 has alot more power and TQ.

Because you can't afford the M3 means I can't? LOL whatever man.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Life is good.

LOL, even my Volvo S60 2.5T (not even a T5 or R) kicked the shit out of the 330 coupe, the 330 is just slow. I agree, you do not buy a BMW unless you get the 540 or above... just like any other car...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:04 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this The End???

Heck, I figured this threaad would be talking politics by now...

As Boltjames once stated, this thread is only good for "entertainment value"..

If nothing else it reminded me of High School,,, and earlier..

My dad drives a BMW, he could beat your dad up!

Old 05-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Racer

Even if I had $100,000 to spend on a car I would still buy another ACURA...an NSX. The NSX has always been my dream car and no other car out there in any price range is better in my world. To me Acuras and Hondas are the best cars in the world and I emphasize "TO ME". I could care less about all the other car manufacturers. I don't go around telling people my car is the best and all that and I don't preach to other people on why they should pick an Acura over another manufacturer. That is because I believe people should drive what they want to drive. When people ask me what car they should get I always recommend other cars as well as Acura and I also make sure they know how biased I am to Acura. Anyway, I guess my point is people should drive what they want and should be allowed to be passionate about it...and that I'm a biased brand loyal fool and that no one can change my mind on what I like. :toothless

Now when it comes to motorcycles...Honda can kiss my ass as Yamaha is the best. :devil:
Old 05-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Racer

The 330i does not outperform the G35. LOL please shut up with your BS. The G35 has alot more power and TQ.

Because you can't afford the M3 means I can't? LOL whatever man.
A ZHP 330i will outperform a G35s.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Just wait untill they pay for the maintaince. They'll be back driving CIVICS in no time.

Originally Posted by apwalsh
I see alot of little kids driving the 3 series around here and they all act like they are moviestars. Actually pretty funny thing to see.

Quick Reply: WAKE UP, this is ONLY a TL ...