Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSA: Interesting Observations..

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:27 PM
professional TL driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wavshrdr
I have to disagree with one point about this. There are autos that have a lockup TC (torque converter). Normally this only occurs in top gear and when this is engaged you get a DIRECT mechanical connection just like you would with a manual tranny! Problem is for most autos this only occurs at cruising speed. This is why the slippage of the auto makes the manual feel less connected.

However there is a manufacturer that has a auto that locks up the TC in every gear. My AMG Benz has the AMG reworked 5AT from the factory that locks up the TC in EVERY GEAR! You let off the throttle and it doesn't upshift automatically. When you get hard on the brakes it starts dropping gears to the optimum gear for maximum acceleration out of the turn. As soon as you let off the throttle the car instantly starts to slow with no free-wheeling effect. It modulates your launch depending on how hard you hit the throttle. Combine this with incredibly smooth and fast upshifts and downshift and you have a tranny that can do virtually everything a true manual can do and more!

It shifts quite quickly with no or almost no shock loads to the drive train. There is no way a human can shift as fast as this tranny without causing more harm to the drivetrain than the computer does. This car consistently ran 12 second 1/4 miles out of the box, time and time again so consistently that the first time I took it to the track I one my class in bracket racing. I ran 10 runs and my times never varied by more than .05-.09 seconds.

Everyone who saw the car run couldn't believe a) that it was stock and b) that it was an auto as they heard the car run. There was almost no slippage between shifts and a little slippage is actually beneficial at times anyway.

You can very easily vary how the car launches. If you want a hard launch but with more wheelspin, brake torque the TC. If you want more revs at launch you could neutral drop it but I would never condone that. You can just ease it out of the hole if you want as well. Maybe you can't do everything exactly the way a MT would do it but you can do many things if you are creative.

If you have a turbo car ATs are awesome for acceleration. You often are much quicker with an auto than a manual as you can furn full boost all through the run because you don't have to let up on the gas when you shift. As soon as you do that with a MT you lose boost.

So in my MB the TC locks up so there is no loss due to the TC. This occurs in every gear. Nor will the car upshift in the middle of a turn on a road course even if I let up on the throttle as it senses the laterally g loading on the car. As I mentioned earlier get hard on the brakes and it starts dropping gears when you are in the tip mode. It is an incredibly well thought out car. At first I didn't want to buy it because I couldn't get it with a manual.

After driving it for a few miles, some track time and doing some backroad racing against friends of mine in modded Audi S4's and other cars it made a believer out of me. I found that I could hang the tail out at 140+ with total control. Very easy to control my line through a turn just by modulating the throttle.

Unfortunately there aren't more of these types of ATs out there. Most of you seem to think that a clutch pedal some how makes the car better. Any more I am not in agreement with that viewpoint. I've driven the SMG BMW's and I can tell you I'll never miss a clutch pedal again with trannies like that and the one in my MB. They can do things that no human can possibly do. ATs have come a long ways.

I still would have probably boughten the 6MT though if it was a RWD or AWD car. I still enjoy it but I also am not oblivious to the fun it can provide though I must say the 5AT TL has been more fun to drive on a daily basis than I thought it would vs. the 6MT. At this point I'd say the FTD (fun to drive) factor is about 95% as good for me but the livability factor on a day to day basis is about 150% by having the 5AT. Obviously to each their own. No matter how you slice it the TL is not a cutting edge sport sedan when it comes to handling dynamics. It's not a slouch either but it doesn't have the razor sharp reflexes of other cars. Because of that I am more than content to pair it with the 5AT. Obviously others of you don't feel the same way. I appreciate that but if it were the ultimate sport sedan I'd be buying the 6MT and keeping it as weekend car instead of a daily commuter. In the commuter role the 5AT is a better fit.
thats a horse of a different color though....your comparing a super high quality auto with what you have now.... when i was refering to your auto i was specifiacally targeting the tl auto tranny.... and although yes the benz has reworked it, to a fine point, it still sucks more power as the torque converter robs power locked or not.... its not as efficient... i have no seat time behind an amg transmission, plenty of fords, chevys, and hondas, my friends auto mustang would always shift at the most inopertune time (middle of the corner, best way to upset the chassis) so yes by comparing the amg it does significantly close the gap. but thats a transmission in a car thats what? close to twice the price of ours?
and its still a torque converter auto.... the newer systems by audi, bmw, ferrari all outperform that auto. todays cvts also show even more promise, having no specific gear ratios at all, the ability to put the engine in the power and keep it there....

and i will still agree that in drag racing it hard to beat a well tuned auto combo, as you remove driver error, and the driveline takes less punishment. some of the fastest mustang drag cars i know of use a modified version of fords old c4 trans... these were designed and built back in the 60s!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:39 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

To ONAGER;

I owned a 2000 SVT Contour (production #379 out of 2150 for the year). The engine was only 152 cubic inches (2.5 liters), but produced 200 HP and 169 lb/ft of torque. That's not much torque but Ford still saw fit to use a two-pound lighter flywheel and a clutch with 1400 pounds of clamping pressure. That sucker would last a LONG time.
1115 was my #, still have the official certificate... i should show pictures of what left of my baby. i fell asleep, hit a telephone pole and roled it.... it only had a four star safety rating, but i put all 4 to the test. what color was yours? mine was silver frost with the midnight blue interior.... god i miss that car
Old 12-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To ONAGER;

Mine was black with the midnight blue interior, built on November 19th, 1999.. and I also have the certificate for it. Ford definitely engineered that car.. but with one fatal flaw.. which was a "feature" if you ever called MotorSport and asked. The engine had a terrible throttle hang problem.. so bad that sometimes the R's would run up 1000-1500 over during an upshift. And they would hang there for seconds! The "street" fix was to insert a plug with a 7/32" hole in it in the air bypass rubber tube. This would work for a few days and then the idle would get high, so you'd remove it and the whole process would start over. This was the reason I traded the car on a 2002 Altima SE.

But the rest was pure bliss. Ford worked wonders with the SVT Contour and the SVT parts read like a laundry list from racing. Fractured sintered connecting rods. Roller followers. Bee hive valve springs. Hollow camshafts. Short skirt, low friction pistons. Extrude honed intake manifold. Windage tray. Oil-to-water cooler. Gears and shafts in transmission rode on roller bearings. Lighter flywheel. 1400 pound clutch. Oversized 4-wheel vented disk brakes. And on and on. The thing would do a .90g in the 200 foot skid pad and a magazine tested it at .92g.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Oh and one other thing. The steering ratio of the SVT Contour was 2.7 turns lock-to-lock. Our TLs have 2.77.. virtually identical which I love.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To ONAGER;

Mine was black with the midnight blue interior, built on November 19th, 1999.. and I also have the certificate for it. Ford definitely engineered that car.. but with one fatal flaw.. which was a "feature" if you ever called MotorSport and asked. The engine had a terrible throttle hang problem.. so bad that sometimes the R's would run up 1000-1500 over during an upshift. And they would hang there for seconds! The "street" fix was to insert a plug with a 7/32" hole in it in the air bypass rubber tube. This would work for a few days and then the idle would get high, so you'd remove it and the whole process would start over. This was the reason I traded the car on a 2002 Altima SE.

But the rest was pure bliss. Ford worked wonders with the SVT Contour and the SVT parts read like a laundry list from racing. Fractured sintered connecting rods. Roller followers. Bee hive valve springs. Hollow camshafts. Short skirt, low friction pistons. Extrude honed intake manifold. Windage tray. Oil-to-water cooler. Gears and shafts in transmission rode on roller bearings. Lighter flywheel. 1400 pound clutch. Oversized 4-wheel vented disk brakes. And on and on. The thing would do a .90g in the 200 foot skid pad and a magazine tested it at .92g.
i know exactly what you were talking about...from what i understand ford built the "throttle hang" into the design of the car.... it helped clean up emisions. when you have an abrupt throttle change (letting off the gas between shifts, letting off the gas while accelerating). for a split second the car runs dirty (no more air as the throttle body is closed, but a little fuel is still in the cylinders). so to help clean it up the throttle would hang just a bit (due to vacuum pressure) enough so that the extra fuel would burn off clean. with the plug inserted in the bypass tube, the vacuum was lessened so the rpm would drop immeadiatly. only problem was that at idle, the computer wasnt getting the right vaccum signals and would increase the idle to correct for it.... not a proper fix in my opinion...

my car wasnt as affected by the problem as some others that i have seen... and with my lazy every day shift technics it actually made for a smooth ride (i would shift fairly slow, so with the hang it would be about perfect for the next gear) and when i would speed shift the tranny was good enough that it didnt slow it down, especially with a b&m short shifter... i never personally had an issue with mine... now warping dash boards was another issue

i really miss that car although it only pulled .90g on the skidpad you could toss that car around with reckless abandon... it always seemed to have a little more grip to give. other then a limited slip differential ford did it right the first time dynamically. i was in the process of upgrading it to the taurus 3.0 block when i wrecked it...a few guys i know were getting about 240-250 hp with 210-215 lbs of torque. davidz on contour.org had a 3.0 with special cams that put down right around 290 hp with 225 torque, almost a 50% HP increase over stock NA!!!! thats right around 96.66 HP/L, TL comes in at 84.37 HP/L. TL woul need right around 310 hp to match what he was getting and the contour was still lighter and has shorter overall gearing.... great little car. TL is by far nicer, but there was something bout that tour that stirred my soul.....
Old 12-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Racer

1. Leave the VSA on unless you are prepared to have the car slide around a bit (autocross for example), since it may you out of the ditch otherwise.
2. Todays auto tranny's suck since they are programed by someone in Ohio, Japan, Detroit, etc. that has no concept of your local terrain or how you drive. This was not the case with 1960's cars, hence many muscle cars had automatics designed to performance shift, as opposed to the economy shifting programmed today. Even the BMW automated manual (SMG) has big-brother programing to save wear and tear.
3. Auto tranny's suck lots of power, up to 20% when not locked-up. Again no problem with 1960's cars big block torque/power, but definitely an issue with our cars (half those displacements).
4. I have put over 1/2 million miles on manuals and never changed a clutch. I do not always baby the cars (autocross and track-time). I don't do stupid stuff like holding my car on hills by riding the clutch and the clutch slippage only occurs at 1st gear start (other gears are rev matched, up & down).
5. Most track-time type events do not allow automatics since an unexpected shift mid-corner can put you in the weeds.
6. Enjoy the manuals while we can still get them, since tougher emission regulations will force automakers to program nearly 100% of our driving (which includes shifting).
Old 12-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ONAGER
thats a horse of a different color though....your comparing a super high quality auto with what you have now.... when i was refering to your auto i was specifiacally targeting the tl auto tranny.... and although yes the benz has reworked it, to a fine point, it still sucks more power as the torque converter robs power locked or not.... its not as efficient... i have no seat time behind an amg transmission, plenty of fords, chevys, and hondas, my friends auto mustang would always shift at the most inopertune time (middle of the corner, best way to upset the chassis) so yes by comparing the amg it does significantly close the gap. but thats a transmission in a car thats what? close to twice the price of ours?
and its still a torque converter auto.... the newer systems by audi, bmw, ferrari all outperform that auto. todays cvts also show even more promise, having no specific gear ratios at all, the ability to put the engine in the power and keep it there....
!!!!
Onager- a lot of what AMG did could be done by Acura simply reprogramming the trannies ECU. The VSA already has yaw sensors and speed sensors to those could be tapped into as well. All they really need to do is interface with the VSA to make it a more smart autos.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I agree CVT's show a lot of promise but most people won't get to the feeling of having a "stepless" tranny so Audi had to do something to get over what people perceived to be engine "droning". Problem with the CVTs I drove is that while they perform in acceleration quite well they still tend to freewheel and don't immediately slow the car like my AMG auto does when you let off the gas.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I like the SMG's a lot but they aren't that smooth yet in full auto mode. I still like the concept and like it or not we will see fewer manual choices. As often is mentioned emission and mileage considerations will make it harder and harder to certify a manual for EPA approval. Unless the sales numbers or prestige really warrant it the manual as we know in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">USA</st1:place></st1:country-region> may soon have seen its better days. In many ways I won't lament its passing not at least with options like the AMG auto or SMG manumatic. If nothing else I'll hold on to one good RWD car with a nice 5 or 6 MT just for nostalgia. I hate to admit but in many ways the EPA has helped us have better cars even though that wasn't their intent. Almost all new cars now are fuel injected (I think all are now) and we have both better performance and mileage. Heck our TL's will easily kick the butt of many supposed earlier "muscle cars".
Old 12-05-2004, 12:28 PM
VTEC is happiness

It would seem that the main point is that to achieve maximum performance, turn VSA off (manual or automatic). Thanks to SouthernBoy for reminding us of this. I often forget about VSA, and when I am in "attack mode" I will think about turning it off.

For many of us, the automatic tranny is a compromise to accomodate other drivers of the TL (i.e. my wife) who cannot drive a manual. I miss shifting for myself sometimes, as that is how I grew up. BUT, as autos go, I love this tranny and only wish there were shift paddles on the wheel as well. To each their own, and even though I own the auto, I appreciate that Acura makes the 6-speed available (and includes a defeat switch for the VSA).

peace
Old 12-05-2004, 02:29 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonedoc
It would seem that the main point is that to achieve maximum performance, turn VSA off (manual or automatic). Thanks to SouthernBoy for reminding us of this. I often forget about VSA, and when I am in "attack mode" I will think about turning it off.

For many of us, the automatic tranny is a compromise to accomodate other drivers of the TL (i.e. my wife) who cannot drive a manual. I miss shifting for myself sometimes, as that is how I grew up. BUT, as autos go, I love this tranny and only wish there were shift paddles on the wheel as well. To each their own, and even though I own the auto, I appreciate that Acura makes the 6-speed available (and includes a defeat switch for the VSA).

peace

After reading all of the post on how good the MT is, I refused to test drive one. For me, on a daily basis the MT is a PITA because of the type driving that I do. I still love it though. Wife will not learn to drive MT and I also need something else in the house for her to drive so 5AT for me. On those days when I just want to shift gears, I jump in my little 5MT 1993 delsol. This is a car that needs and appreciates a manual transmission, only 125HP. I can have fun with little risk of getting a speding ticket. We do what we gotta do.

Mike
Old 12-05-2004, 11:02 PM