Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VLED's V3 triton sale!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by THTL
Please help me with troubles shooting. I just finished the installation. The front turn signals won't light up unless i turn on the headlight switch one turn( for parking light ). I also installed 2 CLS boxes for the rear, still getting hyper flash.
What do you mean they won't light up? They are supposed to light up only when the switch is in parking lights mode or if the switch is set to headlights. Do you mean they wont flash unless in parking mode/headlight mode?

Did you install CLS in the front or just the rear? I think you need to install them in the front as well. VLEDS claims you only need one CLS box but with one but my rears were hyperflashing with two its fine.

I will try out my fronts tomorrow and let you know. They shipped my switchbacks in a USPS box and they were all over in the box with no protection. The day I had bought my rears they came in a huge box and were packaged very well, these looked like a 5 year old had tested them and threw them in the box with no padding. One of my CLS box has something loose inside, you can hear it moving around. Hopefully its not broken.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
What do you mean by smallest diameter? Smallest diameter screw? And you are NOT using a adapter collar for the front?
I started of by saying I didn't use the collar so all my comments after that were about the gaskets.

I got 8 gaskets in the package:
  • 2 Large diameter thin gasket
  • 2 Large diameter thicker gasket
  • 2 Small diameter thin gasket
  • 2 Small diameter thicker gasket

I used the "Small diameter thin gasket" on the tails and the "Small diameter thick gasket" on the headlights.

Also after talking some with THTL, the reason he needed the adapter collar for the front was because he has a Type-S. I don't think the collar is needed for the Base TLs that use a 7443 bulb.
The following users liked this post:
MEKO (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Starcraft II addict

Looks like I have a bad switchback as well. I didn't see the problem when testing the bulbs or doing the video as I never had the car running.

The one on the drivers side isn't working right. Here's a breakdown of what is going on.
  • When ignition is in off, acc, or on (car not started) positions the switchback works fine (fully functional).
  • When the car has been started the following happens (Passenger side works fine, drivers side has these problems):
    • Parking lights only - White light will typically come on but will be constantly flickering. There are times when it doesn't come on at all or it's off but will have an occaisonal flicker of white light.
    • Headlights are turned on. The white light goes out completely and sometimes has a rare flicker of light. The white wire from the control box is hooked up to the headlight power to activate the 50% dim level. Yes it is hooked up correctly as it functions right when the engine is not running. The white light will work momentarily when you activated the turn signal for the first time as the white light will flash on then change to Amber/Off blinking (same actually happens to both switchbacks when lights are off and turn signal is used for first time but not thereafter). The white light does not reappear after that.
    • Headlights are on and engine is running. If you turn off the engine (to acc position) the white light comes back on again immediatly.

Based on the behavior I think that the control board is bad especially since the passenger side switchback works fine. It is working fine when getting 12V when the car is off but when it jumps to 14.1V (or 14.3V) when the car is running it isn't working right. The control box on the bad light is the same one that had the stripped screws on the end cap.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Buda; 02-04-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Buda
The control box on the bad light is the same one that had the stripped screws on the end cap.

Any thoughts?
Correlation?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Buda
Looks like I have a bad switchback as well. I didn't see the problem when testing the bulbs or doing the video as I never had the car running.

The one on the drivers side isn't working right. Here's a breakdown of what is going on.
  • When ignition is in off, acc, or on (car not started) positions the switchback works fine (fully functional).
  • When the car has been started the following happens (Passenger side works fine, drivers side has these problems):
    • Parking lights only - White light will typically come on but will be constantly flickering. There are times when it doesn't come on at all or it's off but will have an occaisonal flicker of white light.
    • Headlights are turned on. The white light goes out completely and sometimes has a rare flicker of light. The white wire from the control box is hooked up to the headlight power to activate the 50% dim level. Yes it is hooked up correctly as it functions right when the engine is not running. The white light will work momentarily when you activated the turn signal for the first time as the white light will flash on then change to Amber/Off blinking (same actually happens to both switchbacks when lights are off and turn signal is used for first time but not thereafter). The white light does not reappear after that.
    • Headlights are on and engine is running. If you turn off the engine (to acc position) the white light comes back on again immediatly.

Based on the behavior I think that the control board is bad especially since the passenger side switchback works fine. It is working fine when getting 12V when the car is off but when it jumps to 14.1V (or 14.3V) when the car is running it isn't working right. The control box on the bad light is the same one that had the stripped screws on the end cap.

Any thoughts?
Are you absolutely positive your control box is plugged in the right way? It's very easy to connect the wires incorrectly. The instruction page they supply show you exactly how it should be plugged in. Make sure double and triple check it...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Please help me with troubles shooting. I just finished the installation. The front turn signals won't light up unless i turn on the headlight switch one turn( for parking light ). I also installed 2 CLS boxes for the rear, still getting hyper flash.
I have the same problem with the hyper flashing if I install the front and rears. The CLS instructions says to open the resistor and replace the 20W bulbs with supplied 35W bulbs if using for 2 leds (front and back). There were no 35W bulbs supplied. I've contacted VLED about sending the bulbs but have not received yet and they haven't responded to my second email. At this point, I'm not a happy camper. I'm going to see if I can find some 35W bulbs and replace and see if that corrects the problem. With the problem and the price, I probably wouldn't buy these leds again.

Last edited by dj5; 02-04-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by ebelp
Are you absolutely positive your control box is plugged in the right way? It's very easy to connect the wires incorrectly. The instruction page they supply show you exactly how it should be plugged in. Make sure double and triple check it...
I am 100% certain and I have the video I took to prove it. Good question though, always need to make sure.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my switchbacks arrived pretty tightly packed in a usps priority box that was stuffed into another shipping envelope, they didn't seem to have much room to shake around. They arrived pre plugged in for me, but can't test em until my car is outta the shop.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
sounds like some crazy problems out there hopefully they all get resolved. are these the triton v3 switchbacks? i ordered 5k ones and they are now backordered until mid march...will have been waiting on these 5k ones for 4 months by the time mid march rolls around..
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Buda I noticed you said you ordered amber rear turn signals. I'm assuming your rear tail lights are completely clear? Because the factory ones have a red diffuser in the turn signal area so I would imagine a amber LED inside a red diffuser is useless.

Are your tails completely cleared out?
I used those cheap amber tower leds for signal, they came out yellow, just like those Range Rover signals. Looks red but, when you turn on the signals, they are orange.

I was thinking that with these orange tritons, it would be way amber signals even with the red cover
I might test that

Talked to them today, they are sending me new sockets

Last edited by MEKO; 02-04-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Instructor

incase anyone finds it useful, thats how vleds hooked them up
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dj5
I have the same problem with the hyper flashing if I install the front and rears. The CLS instructions says to open the resistor and replace the 20W bulbs with supplied 35W bulbs if using for 2 leds (front and back). There were no 35W bulbs supplied. I've contacted VLED about sending the bulbs but have not received yet and they haven't responded to my second email. At this point, I'm not a happy camper. I'm going to see if I can find some 35W bulbs and replace and see if that corrects the problem. With the problem and the price, I probably wouldn't buy these leds again.
Ok so i have fixed the hyper flash problem by replacing the 20w light bulbs with a 35w bulbs located inside the cls box. I only 2 cls installed in the rear. I am still having problem with the front signals. It will not flash. Even with the hazard switch on if the headlight swith is off. It only work( flAshes) with the parking light headlight on. Could it be thAt i am using the CK base adaptor instead of the " Standard"?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What do you mean they won't light up? They are supposed to light up only when the switch is in parking lights mode or if the switch is set to headlights. Do you mean they wont flash unless in parking mode/headlight mode?

Did you install CLS in the front or just the rear? I think you need to install them in the front as well. VLEDS claims you only need one CLS box but with one but my rears were hyperflashing with two its fine.

I will try out my fronts tomorrow and let you know. They shipped my switchbacks in a USPS box and they were all over in the box with no protection. The day I had bought my rears they came in a huge box and were packaged very well, these looked like a 5 year old had tested them and threw them in the box with no padding. One of my CLS box has something loose inside, you can hear it moving around. Hopefully its not broken.
The loosing sound u hear inside the cls box is a screw. I have the same problem.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Starcraft II addict

I contacted VLEDs and they think that the control box is probably good but the white circuit isn't running at 0 load. As I don't have the CLS module (I did the turn signal relay mod), they recommended attaching a load resistor to the turn signal circuit to see if that resolves the issue. If so I'll need a CLS Module.

Luckily I still have my load resistors so I can test this out tonight.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM
A6 and TL

I would like to thank Buda for his info, the smaller thicker gasket+2 3MM screws opposite of each other makes the bulb fit nice and snug inside the socket. As far as your issue with it dimming with the headlights or turning off it may be the white wire you attached? I didn't even bother to attach that. Hope you get that figured out quick!

I installed the fronts this morning. I have V3 in the rear and now have them in the front. I have CLS module attached to each bulb so I am running 4 CLS modules. Mine are working somewhat fine on the first try. Not sure if this is normal or not but are they supposed to flash white first when you indicate? Mine flash white and change over to amber. Happens almost every time. Maybe this is normal?

I am not very happy with the fronts in terms of brightness. They are almost like stock....not much difference. My friend has the 120 LED towers and his look a little brighter. After installing the rears I had high hopes for the fronts. My parents cars have OEM led turn signals in the front and these are nowhere near as bright as those in the front. However the rears are a close match! The rears tritons are also brighter than Audis new LED turn signal in the back! Just wish the front were as bright.

If anyone cares the 5k v3 tritons match the USR white LED sidemarkers perfect.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Just jumped back into this thread. My switchbacks were being a bitch too. I found I had to flip the connection and bent the metal connectors a little bit. Mine were not making contact with the signaling. Using the silicone really helped.

Only thing I noticed that's not normal now...my driver's side blinks white once and then flashes amber like normal.
Aretardedorange (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Just jumped back into this thread. My switchbacks were being a bitch too. I found I had to flip the connection and bent the metal connectors a little bit. Mine were not making contact with the signaling. Using the silicone really helped.

Only thing I noticed that's not normal now...my driver's side blinks white once and then flashes amber like normal.
I am in class now but I was reading a thread on HID planet and apparently this is normal.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ton-v3)/page46

Check it out!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Race Director

Damn that's stupid...might have to call VLEDs...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by MEKO
I used those cheap amber tower leds for signal, they came out yellow, just like those Range Rover signals. Looks red but, when you turn on the signals, they are orange.

I was thinking that with these orange tritons, it would be way amber signals even with the red cover
I might test that

Talked to them today, they are sending me new sockets
I did that before with my last vehicle, I put amber LEDs behinda erad lens and they were very amber. Eventually I'll do that on the TL too but for now I just bought the Tritons for my front turn signals since my chrome ones aren't cutting it. Stupid weather needs to warm up when I'm off work so I can install them.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Starcraft II addict

I would like to thank Buda for his info, the smaller thicker gasket+2 3MM screws opposite of each other makes the bulb fit nice and snug inside the socket. As far as your issue with it dimming with the headlights or turning off it may be the white wire you attached? I didn't even bother to attach that. Hope you get that figured out quick!

I installed the fronts this morning. I have V3 in the rear and now have them in the front. I have CLS module attached to each bulb so I am running 4 CLS modules. Mine are working somewhat fine on the first try. Not sure if this is normal or not but are they supposed to flash white first when you indicate? Mine flash white and change over to amber. Happens almost every time. Maybe this is normal?

I am not very happy with the fronts in terms of brightness. They are almost like stock....not much difference. My friend has the 120 LED towers and his look a little brighter. After installing the rears I had high hopes for the fronts. My parents cars have OEM led turn signals in the front and these are nowhere near as bright as those in the front. However the rears are a close match! The rears tritons are also brighter than Audis new LED turn signal in the back! Just wish the front were as bright.

If anyone cares the 5k v3 tritons match the USR white LED sidemarkers perfect.
Glad the info helped. As for the white wire, I don't think that is the problem as it works fine with the engine off.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Starcraft II addict

Problems fixed!

I did as vleds suggested and put on one of my old load resistors (luckily I didn't sell them) on the turn signal circuit in the trunk and it fixed the problems with the white light on the switchback. Unfortunately the load resistor is 4 ohm 100W which is overkill since I did the turn signal relay mod. I may either go ahead and buy the CLS module or look for a smaller load resistor. It's funny that only one side had the problem.

I'm glad it worked but it means that the tritons seem to be very sensitive on the circuitry to need a CLS module or load resistor to ensure correct operation (not counting hyper blink).
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Could it be thAt i am using the CK base adaptor instead of the " Standard"?
Only some Toyotas and Lexus use "CK" base style adapters.. Honda/Acura use the standard adapter.

You have the wrong adapter, you need to use the regular adapter.
THTL (02-06-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Just replaced the right one, will compare at night too
Installed as Buda told me. Perfect

Park

Signal

Park

Signal

The following 2 users liked this post by MEKO:
Buda (02-07-2013), Undying Dreams (02-07-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
A6 and TL

Well one of mine just died right after a car wash lol and apparently that white initial flash issue on the switchback affects only 10% of all the V3 switchbacks they have sold. YEAH OK LOL just google this issue nearly 85% of the people are having this issue.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Race Director

Wow that sucks.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 AM
A6 and TL

Now the other one is not working. Going to rip everything apart and see whats going on. Hopefully its just a small electrical glitch ;(.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Race Director

I would try using some dielectric grease. It helped mine. They wren't making contact but I bent the little connectors a bit and then I used the grease. Worked like a charm!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Glad I didn't go with switchbacks, they seem to be having issues, my ambers look great. I like the clear when off but amber on look, never really cared for the white sidemarkers either and I think the switchbacks would look stupid without them.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Hey guys, I'm reading conflicting information on the 2007 base bulb guides. The 3G garage says 7443 for the front: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...17&postcount=1 , but the sylvania guide says 1157. I ordered the 1157. Anyone know for sure what I need here?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Instructor

you need 7443/7440. Sylvania and some other places like pep boys have incorrect bulb sizes for our cars as well. hope that solves your problem
Mug (02-19-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mug
Hey guys, I'm reading conflicting information on the 2007 base bulb guides. The 3G garage says 7443 for the front: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...17&postcount=1 , but the sylvania guide says 1157. I ordered the 1157. Anyone know for sure what I need here?
Originally Posted by 08TList
you need 7443/7440. Sylvania and some other places like pep boys have incorrect bulb sizes for our cars as well. hope that solves your problem
Only the Type S uses 1157.
Mug (02-19-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
ordered the 5k triton v3 switchbacks in december and was told they would be backordered until mid march....on saturday they randomly show up at my door, no shipping notice or anything, excited to get these in. the new 5k DRL LEDs are still backordered until mid march but i'll run these switchbacks with my 6k towers for now

any other advice/hints on getting the switchbacks to fit just right into a type s (from reading sounds like i need the adaptor collar and 2 gaskets per socket)? what about mounting the control units and the CLS modules? may also post in the other vled thread here https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/received-my-vled-triton-v3-led-park-turn-bulbs-few-pics-inside-874983/

thanks!

Last edited by sockr1; 02-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
any picture/video updates from anyone?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by rockstar143
any picture/video updates from anyone?
Apparently I didn't post this up in this thread... Here's my review/comparison

The following 3 users liked this post by Buda:
eyedrop (07-23-2013), MEKO (07-23-2013), rockstar143 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
Wow, Buda...you know how to make a well documented and descriptive video. Thanks for sharing all that, man.
J.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Holy hell those are bright.

Also, Buda, what kind of garage flooring do you have? I saw lines... Lol
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Starcraft II addict

Thanks for the feedback on the video!

Originally Posted by maharajamd
Holy hell those are bright.

Also, Buda, what kind of garage flooring do you have? I saw lines... Lol
I have the G-Floor vinyl flooring and love it. I have the ribbed version which is the cheapest. I would have liked the coin pattern instead but didn't want to spend the extra money at the time. Besides the ribbed pattern keeps spills contained quite well.

Here is the main site for the product: http://www.bltllc.com/g-floor_main.htm

I bought it at Sam's club: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/...questid=268898

In the list for Sam's club I got 3 of the 10'x22' sheets (has ribbed pattern in bullet points). It should be the second item in the list. I think it was $200 per roll when I got it. I can't tell you the current price as I don't have a membership (I used Steven Bell's membership to buy them). Steven has this in his garage as well.