Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Law for Cleared Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia Law for Cleared Headlights

Anyone know what the Virginia law is for cleared headlights? I know that some cars come stock with cleared headlights but with others they don't.

I really want to do it on my TL but I've heard two different sides. One side says that it's not illegal as long as the bulb that blinks shows orange. The other side says that it is illegal and that you need to have an orange plastic corner even if it's a little. This is even if the bulb blinks orange.

I want to make sure before I consider getting it done because the last thing I want to do is get pulled over by a cop for it.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Advanced

I'm not sure about now but i believe as long as the corner light blinks yellow, then its legal, you don't need to have a yellow reflector
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Hahaa I was pretty sure I've heard that you do need a yellow reflector, but it doesnt have to be where it is. I think you can put an amber reflector of a minumum size outside of the light. Try the search, because i'm only 50% sure of that. I just remember there was some reason why I didnt get that done
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Look up your state's inspection guidelines/laws/general statutes...they're online. The rules of what's legal varies by state.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I LOVE MY TL

as long the side blinker show orange[orange bulb] then you be fine ..if you want to make sure 100% then go look for a policeman and ask him for yourself or call the car inspection station..i stop in VA once to get my retrofit headlight fixed and the guy that was doing my retrofit ask me why i have white blinkers instead of orange..i told him it look nice.he told me if the cops see me with white blinkers in VA, they will give me a fix it ticket beecause its illegal to have white blinkers..soo when the retrofit was done..they took me to the back road to go out to 95 south soo i dont have to bother with the local cops.it look good but a fix it ticket is only 15 bucks...i use to have red blinker also..me and my brother rsx-s..the reason white/red/blue bulbs are illegal is because it is use by cops..

white blub
Old 10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^^^ You can't get a ticket for violating a local law like that if you're from out of state...kind of like you can't get a ticket for too dark of tint in another state. Oh, and in NC, you can have white blinkers.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I LOVE MY TL

that kind of weird because my brother got pull over in NJ for having 20%tint on his prelude but he was from florida..ya i know it hard for you to get ticket from a state you dont live in but things happen..state patrol can be a A?$ sometime when they want to give out tickets for some bullshT.anything can be possible.and no u cant pass state inspection with a white bulb..i failed state inspection with it lastyear.but who knows he's in VA soo give it a try and see what happen,,put it on and drive by a policeman and park in front of him and seee what he gonna do..LOL
Old 10-06-2006, 05:52 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
better yet go to one of the inspection places and ask. They're the ones you'll need to pass every 2 yrs or so.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:59 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my friends had his headlights blacked out recently. Before performing the modification, he asked my friend if he wanted to have the reflector taken out. The guy proceeded to explain to my friend that VA requires the amber reflective surface in the front headlights in order to pass VA inspection. The guy said he could take the reflector out but that my friend may have a problem passing inspection every year since VA requires annual safety inspections. The guy said the only way to pass inspection would be to know a mechanic that would pass you or if you were lucky enough, to get a mechanic that didn't notice.

BTW if you haven't noticed, VA cops have been cracking down hard on petty stuff lately
Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Rock Chalk JayhawkZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anybody know any law in kansas at all that requires orange reflectors?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Pro

Hmmm.....I don't think I wanna take the risk here in Virginia so I'm not going to clear my headlights. Virginia cops are terrible. They pull over people all the time for the stupidest things.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Instructor

Angry cops are terrible

I agree! cops here in fairfax are friggin terrible. 4 tickets in the past two months.
2- tickets for no front license plate
1- hov lane ( my fault)
1- tint too dark

**jimmy too bad your not gonna do your headlights. they would look sweeeet!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:23 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
Hmmm.....I don't think I wanna take the risk here in Virginia so I'm not going to clear my headlights. Virginia cops are terrible. They pull over people all the time for the stupidest things.

Based on my experiences with my currect car (04 Corvette), as long as the light blinks amber, you'll be fine. I changed out my DRL/turns to a white light -- looked great, but the inspection guys didn't appreciate it. Of course, I sat and BS'ed with the manager for a while and they passed me anyway, but... Got crap for my rear side markers being clear/white too.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Advanced

As mentioned above: If it omits an orange color than u are fine. If u want to really technical make sure the bulb is DOT approved.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TypeAcuraTL
I agree! cops here in fairfax are friggin terrible. 4 tickets in the past two months.
2- tickets for no front license plate
1- hov lane ( my fault)
1- tint too dark

**jimmy too bad your not gonna do your headlights. they would look sweeeet!
Where did you get nailed for no front plate? I took my front plate off the day I got my car last november. But I do have my plate under the windshield and so far haven't got harrased.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:23 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
One of my friends had his headlights blacked out recently. Before performing the modification, he asked my friend if he wanted to have the reflector taken out. The guy proceeded to explain to my friend that VA requires the amber reflective surface in the front headlights in order to pass VA inspection. The guy said he could take the reflector out but that my friend may have a problem passing inspection every year since VA requires annual safety inspections. The guy said the only way to pass inspection would be to know a mechanic that would pass you or if you were lucky enough, to get a mechanic that didn't notice.

BTW if you haven't noticed, VA cops have been cracking down hard on petty stuff lately
one of our fellow tsx a'ziner got the jdm tsx headlights that have the clear corner reflecter. Our actual turn signal is inbetween the projector housing and high beam so we have 2 amber reflectors for usdm headlights. He did have a cop check out the jdm ones and he said they were fine cause they still retained 1 amber surface on the headlight. I know thats long to make one point but in VA, i do believe you must have 1 amber reflective surface on headlights, hope this helps your decision.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey Now!

ANY modification to a vehicle is illegal, unless other wise noted by the DOT.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DC_TSX
one of our fellow tsx a'ziner got the jdm tsx headlights that have the clear corner reflecter. Our actual turn signal is inbetween the projector housing and high beam so we have 2 amber reflectors for usdm headlights. He did have a cop check out the jdm ones and he said they were fine cause they still retained 1 amber surface on the headlight. I know thats long to make one point but in VA, i do believe you must have 1 amber reflective surface on headlights, hope this helps your decision.
Definitely does, thanks. I decided to keep the default setup.

Honestly, in the VA area, you can never be sure with anything when it comes to car mods. VA cops also seem to have quite a rep for cracking down on people hard cause people even in other states know about them. Cops in this area will pull you over for the heck of it just to check and make sure your car is legit. I remember I got pulled over once just because a cop thought my tint looked illegal and wanted to check it. Geez man!