Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Verizon Blue Tooth (minor) news

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Verizon Blue Tooth (minor) news

I sent Verizon another email asking about Blue Tooth, and specifically whether the Sony Ericsson T608 would work on their network. Here is the answer I got back. Note, this is better than the answer I got in November, which was that they had no plans at that time to carry Blue Tooth phones. So this is a "step up":

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

We appreciate your interest in the incorporation of Bluetooth Technology with Verizon Wireless services. At this time we do not offer products to support this technology. However, our Research and
Development Team has been studying the ability to incorporate Bluetooth technology with our products and services.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "E-mail Updates" from the "Support" tab
located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com home page.

The Sony Ericsson T608 model mobile phone has not been manufactured to operate on the Verizon Wireless network.

As part of our Worry Free Guarantee if you ever have a problem, it becomes our problem the first time you contact us. Please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com if you have any further
questions.

Sincerely,

Doug
Verizon Wireless Customer Service

Old 01-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like a good way to make us stick around with Verizon until it finally comes out. Im not waiting anymore. I just get that bad feeling that by the time a bluetooth phone comes out for verizon itll be time to get a new car.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Instructor

I may view the world through rose colored glasses, but I don't think Verizon is just trying keep us around a few more months with no intention of implementing one. I think they are actually considering it. There is no reason not to implement it. What cost to them?

Now, will they get it done any time soon? That's a much better question to which there is no answer.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Advanced

thats kinda what i meant... but im not gonna hold my breathe too long or i might pass out
Old 01-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Racer

Originally posted by bradjs
Seems like a good way to make us stick around with Verizon until it finally comes out. Im not waiting anymore.
Actually, it's not a very good way, as evidenced by the fact that people like you and I are leaving Verizon in droves.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Somehow, I doubt it is droves. To how many Verizon customers can this be a do or die issue? If it were a huge number, they would certainly adopt a blue tooth phone a lot quicker. It can't take that much to make the T608 compatible as it already uses the CDMA signals. All I can figure is that the T608 does not have the ability to get the correct roam lists and has no analog compatibilty (though I'm not certain if all Verizon's phones are tri-mode or not).

Hopefully we'll get some definitive answer soon. I'm good till my contract runs out in August in any event, though I'd probably be willing to extend my contract sooner to get the blue tooth phone if Verizon will work with me.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Somehow, I doubt it is droves. To how many Verizon customers can this be a do or die issue? If it were a huge number, they would certainly adopt a blue tooth phone a lot quicker. It can't take that much to make the T608 compatible as it already uses the CDMA signals. All I can figure is that the T608 does not have the ability to get the correct roam lists and has no analog compatibilty (though I'm not certain if all Verizon's phones are tri-mode or not).

Hopefully we'll get some definitive answer soon. I'm stuck until my contract runs out in August in any event, though I'd probably be willing to extend my contract sooner to get the blue tooth phone if Verizon will work with me.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Advanced

When Motorola ships the V600 your problem will be solved. Until then, is the 270c compatible?
Old 01-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Advanced

the t270c is not. and the problem wont be solved until the v600 works for cdma. from all i've seen, its just planned for gsm now.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 PM
rarely registered user

I got the exact same message from Verizon. Exact same. Nice to know they take the time to email us the form letter.

I got my message about a month ago... so it doesn't seem they've made much progress since then.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
5th Gear

Originally posted by jgrahamiii
Somehow, I doubt it is droves. To how many Verizon customers can this be a do or die issue? If it were a huge number, they would certainly adopt a blue tooth phone a lot quicker.
How could we create enough noise that Verizon would wake up? There has to be a way...
Old 01-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by blueserker
How could we create enough noise that Verizon would wake up? There has to be a way...
Sprint is the same way....they weren't in a rush a few months ago to get a bluetooth enabled phone up and running just to please a small handful of customers who want one.

To think, I just renewed my contract with Sprint and bought a new phone 4 months ago - stupid me!!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Instructor

I don't understand the delay. BT technology has been around for awhile now, so the technology is already developed. Why can't verizon just implement it into their existing phones. I could understand if verizon didn't want to spend the $$$ to cater to a small % of people, but this technology is part of the future and they should adapt to it soon.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I like Verizon, they have been excellent to me so I still have my Star Tac with them. However like others I purchased a Blue Tooth phone from someone else, T-Mobile, who I used to hate because of terrible customer service. However since I got this new T610/616 they have been great, even their service.

Not sure what I'll do when Verizon gets it's technology caught up.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Instructor

What I don't understand, is that Sony Erricson already has a CDMA Bluetooth phone that is compatible with our car. It can't take much to adapt it to Verizon's system. Also, how hard could it be to take anyother blue tooth phone and change the signal technology. There must be enough of a market for it, especially as more and more states adopt hands free laws, and more and more car companies offer blue tooth kits.

BTW, there is an online petition at

http://www.petitiononline.com/ver123/petition.html

you can "sign" which is sent to Verizon. There are over 2000 names on it. All we need is one phone!
Old 01-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Its good to see that Verizon is at least recognizing the need for bluetooth. When I e-mailed them about 3 months ago, I got a boiler plate answer and that's it. The thing is we have no idea how long it will take for them to offer a bluetooth phone. From what I've seen Verizon doesn't move fast, so if you can't wait (like me) you might as well switch now. I've got one more month left on my contract with Verizon and since I don't really care about keeping my number I'll probably be switching in the next few weeks. Too bad, I like their system/service but they don't have what I need, so they loose and AT&T gets my money from now on. jgrahamiii is right, there just isn't enough of us leaving Verizon to get their attention. Let's just hope the handfreelink catches on and is offered in more cars and creates a bigger demand for this type of phone. Maybe then we will have more choices.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:41 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally posted by fuque
Actually, it's not a very good way, as evidenced by the fact that people like you and I are leaving Verizon in droves.
The only people leaving Verizon in droves are either the ones bent on Bluetooth or those who travel abroad and must have a multi-national GSM phone. The fact is Verizon's subsribership overall is increasing thanks to number portability and superior service to ALL the other carriers. This is especially evidenced by the article in the Feb 2004 Consumer Reports, the same issue as the glorifying TL review. I trust Verizon will wake up to Bluetooth soon, but due to the volume of business they're doing, they can afford to take their sweet time.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Instructor

This is especially evidenced by the article in the Feb 2004 Consumer Reports, the same issue as the glorifying TL review. I trust Verizon will wake up to Bluetooth soon, but due to the volume of business they're doing, they can afford to take their sweet time.
All the more reason for verizon to wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Verizon is great due to no dropped calls...

but being as big as it is, it does NOT move fast on technology, which is going to eventually hurt them.

BUT in reality, dropped calls is the biggest issue people have since you do use a carrier to have a call go through and stay through before any other feature is useful anyway!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:37 AM
5th Gear

Originally posted by jgrahamiii
What I don't understand, is that Sony Erricson already has a CDMA Bluetooth phone that is compatible with our car. It can't take much to adapt it to Verizon's system. Also, how hard could it be to take anyother blue tooth phone and change the signal technology. There must be enough of a market for it, especially as more and more states adopt hands free laws, and more and more car companies offer blue tooth kits.

BTW, there is an online petition at

http://www.petitiononline.com/ver123/petition.html

you can "sign" which is sent to Verizon. There are over 2000 names on it. All we need is one phone!
How do we set one up for Sprint?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Race Director

MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code--unlock your phone and use any CDMA carrier you like! I will provide step-by-step, tested instructions detailing how to use this phone on Verizon. Theoretically, the MSL should facilitate provisioning this phone on any CDMA carrier's network, but I can only vouch for it having been done with Verizon.

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15042
Old 01-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Lightbulb

SOLUTION: Blue Tooth adapters available at Radio Shack or Office Depot...even your Verizon phone thats not a Blue Tooth will work! Its not the actual service that Verizon provides BUT the just the actual phones with the Blue Tooth Chip inside. I'm not sure what the adapters cost though.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Instructor

adapters don't work, the phone has to have a mobile profile to work with the TL or any other car using bluetooth.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally posted by fanurios
SOLUTION: Blue Tooth adapters available at Radio Shack or Office Depot...even your Verizon phone thats not a Blue Tooth will work! Its not the actual service that Verizon provides BUT the just the actual phones with the Blue Tooth Chip inside. I'm not sure what the adapters cost though.
If they're from Radio Shack, they probably only enable Bluetooth wireless headsets you hang on your ear.

:toothless (toothless, get it? heh...heh....heh)
Old 01-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Verizon customer service is awful -- I've had them for four years (after SprintP...eboniCS) and these are the standard replies. No one knows anything.

I went with AT&T GSM for my secondary (T616 w/ Bluetoof) phone.