Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilation System Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Ventilation System Question

Has anyone figured out how to turn the ventilation system on without having to turn on the A/C? I usually leave for work early in the AM and don't need the A/C, but like to have air coming into the cabin. The only way I have been able to figure out how to do this is to hit the auto button and then the A/C button to turn it off.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Old 07-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Has anyone figured out how to turn the ventilation system on without having to turn on the A/C? I usually leave for work early in the AM and don't need the A/C, but like to have air coming into the cabin. The only way I have been able to figure out how to do this is to hit the auto button and then the A/C button to turn it off.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
I turn the temp all the way down, select the dash vents only and then just push the A/C button that will turn off the A/C, then in the afternoon I just push the A/C button to turn it back on.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME

Thanks in advance,

Rob
That's what I do as well. I don't know if there's any easier way.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KeithL
I turn the temp all the way down, select the dash vents only and then just push the A/C button that will turn off the A/C, then in the afternoon I just push the A/C button to turn it back on.
Is there a reason you turn the temp all the way down? If you just leave it at 70 or whatever you like, won't the vent system just blow cool air inside the car...it can't cool without the air conditioner, but should still blow cool air. Am I missing something here?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Temp setting.

Is there a reason you turn the temp all the way down?

I also press the A/C button to off when I want just outside air. There's no other way that I know of either.

There isn't a need to turn the temp all the way down to Lo. But it does need to be set at or below the outside temperature, otherwise the heater will kick in.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fan buttons.

For non-navi's, just hit the off button, then use the fan buttons on the lower left side. It'll kick up the fan without the AC.

-VN
Old 07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Team Anthracite

I may be missing something. I always leave the system on "Auto". If its too cold, I turn the temp up. Too hot, turn it down. I dont play much with the fan setting or anything. Then again, I live in Seattle, so its rarely in one extreme or another where I have to think about it. The car manages everything just fine for my taste. My wife (and even a friend I let drive my old TL) futzed with everything and had the system doing all kinds of weird things. I couldn't understand why. I just sort of assumed they dig the old school of HVAC.

Does Auto not do what you want, or am I missing something more?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Banned

There is a way!

Turn off the havoc system all together.

THEN....hit the mode button. This will select JUST outside air and where you want it to come in. No fan will run at all. The system is off but you will still see the icon in the display where the fresh air is blowing.

Does this make sense?

Bottom line is. Hit the "Off" button and THEN hit the "MODE" button.

You will have only fresh air with no fan.

Try it and report back.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Instructor

If you leave it in Auto, the AC will occationally turn on. For non-nav, make sure you see the AC-OFF.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:19 PM
5th Gear

my air conditioner went out,just like that,i hear a click but no air comes out,could the whole darn thang be busted?any clues
Old 08-01-2005, 08:21 PM
5th Gear

Unhappy no air

ugh: my air conditioner went out,just like that,i hear a click but no air comes out,could the whole darn thang be busted?any clues
Old 08-01-2005, 08:59 PM
100k miles club

i have navi and what i do is if it's in AUTO and i want my windows down, i hit the down button. the AUTO disappears and a bar that represents the flow of air appears. i lower it to 1 bar and that's it. once i want to roll up the windows i hit AUTO again. is that right or am i still running the A/C

flnsx: i'll try that right now. i'm leaving work
Old 08-01-2005, 11:25 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by flnsx
There is a way!

Turn off the havoc system all together.

THEN....hit the mode button. This will select JUST outside air and where you want it to come in. No fan will run at all. The system is off but you will still see the icon in the display where the fresh air is blowing.

Does this make sense?

Bottom line is. Hit the "Off" button and THEN hit the "MODE" button.

You will have only fresh air with no fan.

Try it and report back.

tried your method and all it did was it cycled to the next MODE. is it different for non-navi?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:25 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I think you still run A/C that way.

When I want fresh coldest outside air without A/C, I turn the system on by
"Auto"
"A/C" (AC goes off)
"Temp down" (to LO - I was thinking if temp wasn't low, heated air would mix into cold air to make moderate temperatured air)
"Fan up" (you want fairly high fan speed)
Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
If you have Navi, you can say "Air Conditioner off" to turn it off, "Fan speed <X>" (where <X> is a number) to set the fan speed, and "Climate control vent," "climate control floor," etc. to tell it where you want the air to come from. You can also use the "Mode" buttons for this last step and the fan speed buttons for the second step. I usually leave it on Auto myself, but when I do want to change it I don't much like fiddling with the buttons in traffic so I tend just to use the voice control.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Racer

See that's what i luv about this forum you learn something new every freakin' day!!! So in my case, when i'm leaving for work in the mornings (not until around 9:15'ish) and if it's too hot outside and not even if it's too hot, but just a matter of me not wanting my windows down, i ALWAYS just hit the Auto button. I keep the temp. around 73 and the fan speed on 1. So are you all telling me that by doing this, i'm actually running my AC??? So in my case, i would just need to hit the AC button in order to turn it off? Let me know. I'm wanting the outside air to blow in.

BTW... I have Navi.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ac2001cls
See that's what i luv about this forum you learn something new every freakin' day!!! So in my case, when i'm leaving for work in the mornings (not until around 9:15'ish) and if it's too hot outside and not even if it's too hot, but just a matter of me not wanting my windows down, i ALWAYS just hit the Auto button. I keep the temp. around 73 and the fan speed on 1. So are you all telling me that by doing this, i'm actually running my AC??? So in my case, i would just need to hit the AC button in order to turn it off? Let me know. I'm wanting the outside air to blow in.

BTW... I have Navi.
"Auto" normally runs the AC. If you hit the button to adjust the fan speed, however, you take it off "Auto" (should be confirmed by the disappearance of that word from the display up the top where the clock is). ANY adjustment you make on your own will normally turn off "Auto"--for example, I frequently hit the "Recirculate" button if I am stopped at a traffic light and a bus or truck is in front of me, because I don't want to have to breathe all that thick black exhaust. As soon as I hit "Recirculate," the "Auto" disappears. When you think about it, that makes perfect sense--if you adjust it yourself, you're not using the "automatic" climate control, right?

I suggest you first verify that indeed when you adjust the fan speed, the "Auto" disappears. Then determine whether "A/C On" or "A/C Off" is showing in the display where the clock is. That will tell you your answer.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Racer

Ok so when i initially hit Auto, and say i hit the fan speed button, it takes it out of Auto. However, is the AC still running? I'll definitely look more into this when i get off work and get back into my car. So basically if i hit Auto... to make the AC not run, i need to hit the AC button and i should see the "AC turned off" (or whatever it says) correct? So as a result of this, will that keep it in Auto mode?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
The "auto" will always disappear when you hit another button, except defrost, rear window heater, dual, and the temperature controls.

No matter what else you do, you have to manually push the A/C button to turn it off, and either push it again or press auto to turn it back on. And pushing the A/C button will take it out of auto.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Racer

ok thx RonA
Old 08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

This is so far my understnading on this system

Sitaution #1 - You start system by pressing "AUTO"
You are almost guaranteed to have A/C on because auto really keep the A/C running exception of "hi" or at below freezing point.

Situation #2 - You were in "Auto" now u pressed fan speed
You are still running A/C and wasting gas. From what I've read from manual, you only control fan speed but everything else (outside/inside air, A/C on off, mode) are still controlled by computer

Situation #3 - You were in "Auto" now u pressed A/C off
You will understand what I said in #2 here. Set the temperature close to low in auto mode then turn the A/C off. Fan speed increases to keep the car at that low temperature. So you now turned off A/C but car is still in control of fan speed, mode and other things

I think car does mix the hot and cold air if you don't lower your temperature all the way when you are not using A/C. so keep the temp low and A/C off for fresh coldest air possible.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Racer

And so as a result of you "Situation #3, by turning the AC off, this in turn will reduce the amount of gas that's being taken as well right? It won't have anything to do with you having it on a low temp. or blowing the fan speed say around 4 versus 2?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:36 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Fan 4 will take more electricity than Fan 2 for sure but it won't be anything comparable to using AC.

Temperature setting while AC is off is solely mixing hot and cold air and does not use any extra gas.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Racer

Ok i'm still missing something here... So when i got in the car yesterday evening after work i pressed Auto > then pressed the AC button in order to turn the AC off > then i lowered the temp. to Lo; however, it was just HOT AIR that was blowing out! What in the world is going on? Is it because i need to press the button that gets the air circulating with inside the cabin? B/c that wasn't pressed. I waited to see if it would cool off but unfortunately it didnt. Is it because it's bringing in the fresh air from outside? Which means that if it's like 86 degrees outside, then that's what it'll blow inside?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ac2001cls
Ok i'm still missing something here... So when i got in the car yesterday evening after work i pressed Auto > then pressed the AC button in order to turn the AC off > then i lowered the temp. to Lo; however, it was just HOT AIR that was blowing out! What in the world is going on? Is it because i need to press the button that gets the air circulating with inside the cabin? B/c that wasn't pressed. I waited to see if it would cool off but unfortunately it didnt. Is it because it's bringing in the fresh air from outside? Which means that if it's like 86 degrees outside, then that's what it'll blow inside?
Yes, if you hit the AC button after you pressed Auto, then you turned the AC off. Therefore, the air blowing out was not cooled in any way, so it was outside air. It won't matter how low you put the temp as the car has no way of cooling without the AC being on.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Racer

Ok cool. So then why do people do that then?... as far as turning the AC off and putting the temp on Lo? If that's the case then wouldn't you just want to roll the windows down? You'll still be getting the fresh air coming inside
Old 08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Instructor

When it is cool outside and I don't need ac, I hit auto and then turn the AC off since I don't need it. I leave the temp in a normal range (70 ish). In the summer, I just hit auto and leave it in auto with the AC on and again the temp around 70-74 depending on how hot I am. I have no idea why people would lower the temp all the way with the ac off, since the system can't cool anyway. Also, if you have the temp all the way down or all the way up, the fan runs at maximum, so then you have to mess with the fan also to keep it from blowing you out of the car.

If I put down the windows, I just turn the whole system off. No sense in running the fan if the windows are down.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Racer

True. That's my point elsensei. Thanks for claryfying
Old 08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I think (I am about 60% sure) if you don't put ur temp to LO, you are mixing hot air with cold air into cabin.

Rolling down windows and using ventilation is different. Especially if you are sitting in traffic(where do u get air if u roll the window down standing still?) or at high speed (do u ever notice women doesn't like messing their hair?)
Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Actuary
I think (I am about 60% sure) if you don't put ur temp to LO, you are mixing hot air with cold air into cabin.
Only if the system determines you need some heat added to the air. If it is warm out, and inside your car it is at or above the temp you have set, the system will turn off all heat so you are getting just outside air. If it is cool out then yes it will probably add some heat.

Bottom line, if you are hot just hit auto and it will run the AC for you. If you are not hot turn off the AC and get a little better mileage. Open the windows if you want and turn off the system completely if you want, or let it run on the fan, just the fan doesn't matter much anyway.

Personally, I hate that is runs the AC all the time in Auto. There is just something strange about having the AC running when it is cold out.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:03 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Auto seems to be really waste gas mode
Old 09-07-2005, 02:33 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FRANCISCO_RENAMED
ugh: my air conditioner went out,just like that,i hear a click but no air comes out,could the whole darn thang be busted?any clues
never mind,found problem,burned out wire connection @ blower motor unit,easy to get @blower(just 3 screws)chopped off end of burned wire connection and reconnected,ummmcold air again!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The owners manual states it runs the A/C to dehumidfy the interior air. It's a similar climate control system on my wife's Honda Pilot. Both run at high duty cycles even when the outside temp is at or below the inside setting.

I agree it is a waste of fuel.

Originally Posted by elsensei
Only if the system determines you need some heat added to the air. If it is warm out, and inside your car it is at or above the temp you have set, the system will turn off all heat so you are getting just outside air. If it is cool out then yes it will probably add some heat.

Bottom line, if you are hot just hit auto and it will run the AC for you. If you are not hot turn off the AC and get a little better mileage. Open the windows if you want and turn off the system completely if you want, or let it run on the fan, just the fan doesn't matter much anyway.

Personally, I hate that is runs the AC all the time in Auto. There is just something strange about having the AC running when it is cold out.