Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Ownership Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Ownership Question

Does anyone know if there is a way to change who a vehicle is titled to? My Dad gave me his Acura TL for college, but I've been thinking about trading it in. My Dad doesn't want me doing this because he has OCD control issues. I'll probably lease a type-S. Anyone know a way to go about this problem without my Dad discovering?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Terminex

If it is your name on the title, then yes he gave it to you, and you can do what you want with it.

If it is his name on the title, there is nothing you can do other than learn to be appreciative of the great car he gave you.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by terminex
If it is your name on the title, then yes he gave it to you, and you can do what you want with it.

If it is his name on the title, there is nothing you can do other than learn to be appreciative of the great car he gave you.
+1, with emphasis on the "be appreciative" part. Jeez. I am glad you're not my kid.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Terminex

Originally Posted by rt4563
+1, with emphasis on the "be appreciative" part. Jeez. Glad you're not my kid.
Amen, I had to re-write my post about 5 times as i was going to make several comments about respect or lack thereof.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:09 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My ...
Don't do anything without your father knowing; that is so disrespectful.

If you want the TypeS or another car that badly, then talk it out with him - argue your point. Don't go behind his back, that's just rude.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Originally Posted by KJW73
My ...
Don't do anything without your father knowing; that is so disrespectful.

If you want the TypeS or another car that badly, then talk it out with him - argue your point. Don't go behind his back, that's just rude.

Good luck!
I have to agree with the quote above...time to approach this like a grown-up.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Whats wrong with peeps these days. No respect for parents anymore.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree.....your already a lucky teenager. There are not that much fathers out there that will give his son a 30k+ car.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
No legal way.

Originally Posted by STANGMMX
Does anyone know if there is a way to change who a vehicle is titled to? ... Anyone know a way to go about this problem without my Dad discovering?
Not legally (leaving aside the ethics and respect issues ).
Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by terminex

Couldn't have said it better my damn self.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Pro

wow my folks gave me a 73 jeep with no motor and no floorboard and i was so happy i couldn't stand it. there is no legal way to trade in a car that does not have your name on the title. don't even try. appreciate what you have.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
2007 TL Type-S

honestly if i were you i would just mod it out. going behind your dads back with something that important is just grimey. when your young you dont always think of the right decision only the one that benifits you at the time. Do you really want to lock yourself into a payment for the next few years of your life without your parents behind you. college years are way to crazy and unpredictable to be sure your going to be holding down a job to make tha payment.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was your age, my parents gave me an '85 nissan sentra wagon with a 60 HP engine and I was very, very grateful. Be happy with what you have and don't sweat it so much. And be nice to your dad - a lot of kids don't even have dads.

Sheesh, kids these days

Just for the record, I really don't mind or care when kids on this forum have TLs given to them by their parents (some people are lucky and some aren't). It's when they are ungrateful and disprespectful about it to their parents, as if they are entitled to it, that grinds my gears.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to change who a vehicle is titled to? My Dad gave me his Acura TL for college, but I've been thinking about trading it in. My Dad doesn't want me doing this because he has OCD control issues. I'll probably lease a type-S. Anyone know a way to go about this problem without my Dad discovering?
When my daughter started to drive we decided to let her use our old Accord. Since she demonstrated a great deal of responsibility and appreciation, when we decided to get another car we gave her the new one so she'd have the benefit of the latest safety features. As a result, when she went off to college the following year she had an almost new Accord EX-L.

If she had demonstrated the kind of attitude the OP has, she'd have been damned lucky if she had a bike to ride.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardtimes
wow my folks gave me a 73 jeep with no motor and no floorboard and i was so happy i couldn't stand it. there is no legal way to trade in a car that does not have your name on the title. don't even try. appreciate what you have.
Not to mention you had to push it to school uphill in the snow barefoot through broken glass.

LOL J/K
Old 02-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Pro

^^LOL^^ my mom took me to school for the year it took me to get it running LOL
Old 02-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
^^LOL^^ my mom took me to school for the year it took me to get it running LOL
That's even worse than walking uphill in the snow, etc.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
If you really don't want the car give it back to him. To go behind his back is totally wrong.....
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Racer

even if the title was in your name, dont you think your dad would find out that you have a type s when he sees you rolling up to his house next time you come home from college?

besides, the whole insurance issue (if your parents pay for it), theres no way he wont be able to find out what you did and if your parents are like mine, there will be hell to pay.
my parents wouldnt even let me pick out my own car (how i ended up with my 06 TL) even though i was paying for it. they just didnt want me to get a car with high insurance premiums since they pay for my car insurance.

also, at your age, i am assuming you dont have a great credit score. leasing a car like that will require you to get a cosigner and unless you can get your mom to not tell your dad about her cosigning the lease, i would say your screwed.

if anything, you should take your current 3rd gen TL and mod it to look like a type-s and put in a supercharger. itll definitely be cheaper than the lease considering your credit and losing trade in value from trading in your current car

also, to those who flamed the OP, jesus christ. cant anyone just post and get a simple answer without being crucified? you all act like youre perfect but youre so quick to pass judgment onto others. leave him alone, hes obviously just a kid and wanted an answer to a question. look at yourselves in the mirror and if youre perfect and have no flaws, then judge, otherwise just answer the question and shut your mouth if you dont have anything productive to say.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by jsong83
....also, to those who flamed the OP, jesus christ. cant anyone just post and get a simple answer without being crucified? you all act like youre perfect but youre so quick to pass judgment onto others. leave him alone, hes obviously just a kid and wanted an answer to a question. look at yourselves in the mirror and if youre perfect and have no flaws, then judge...
...but is sooo fun....
I looked in the mirror, and boy, I'm so hawt as well as an , so I must be able to pass judgment.
But seriously, the nature of the question will often lead to repercussions and vituperative responses. I'm sure you won't approve if I ask "How can I best run over my wife with the TL [necessary to mention TL to post here, I think...] and not have the ABS lock up so I can inherit from her?" I would expect a disagreeable response or two (except from those who know my wife... ).
Old 02-27-2007, 07:01 PM
steeez

dont do it

well first off i dont think your dad legally gave it to you but is "giving it to you" in which im in the same situation. and in that situation, if its not "legally" yours you cant go around and trade it in like that. you'd have to go to the dmv and have the title transfered as if you were to buy a used car and that would take your dad noticing.

haha this is just my two cents since i just got flamed in my thread cause i made it sound like i hella bitched at my mom about my car, but just like everyone else said i dont think it is such a good idea to do that. esp around your dads back. im sure he'd be angry and want to take the car back anyways. this is just a question, how do you plan to lease a type s on your own while going to college anyways? cause im guessing you have no or little credit as you're my age and entering college.

with the money you planned on saving for your lease payments i say you use it to mod up your TL. i took me about 4 jamba juice pay checks to save up for the aspec rims.. its gona take me through summer to wrap them in some good tires!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Instructor

All you have to do is sneak into his house and find the title to the car. Once you steal the title from him, you fill out the change in ownership section and mail that into the DMV. The DMV will then send you a new title in your name. Once you have completed this, you have successfully stolen $30,000 from your father and now you can trade the car in or sell it.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 PM
steeez

Originally Posted by noah82
All you have to do is sneak into his house and find the title to the car. Once you steal the title from him, you fill out the change in ownership section and mail that into the DMV. The DMV will then send you a new title in your name. Once you have completed this, you have successfully stolen $30,000 from your father and now you can trade the car in or sell it.
hahahahahahah.... THATS ALL YOU GOTTA DO???
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert_TL
Just for the record, I really don't mind or care when kids on this forum have TLs given to them by their parents (some people are lucky and some aren't). It's when they are ungrateful and disprespectful about it to their parents, as if they are entitled to it, that grinds my gears.
Haha seems like this has been coming up a lot lately.
I definately appreciate the fact that my dad bought this car for me. I know that in 6 months when i get the car, I will be taking extremly good care of it, becuase I know that if i ever did anything to it I will never get a car like this again.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
OH, and BTW my dad was wondering if there is any way to transfer the TL to my name when he gives it to me. I will be 17 when I get the car, and it will most likely be paid off.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Advanced

Wow. I'm 20 years old guys. No need to be cut-throat about it. Its an '04 too, with 55,000 miles on it, its not like its new or anything. The guy that lives down the hall from me just got a new M5 and he's only 18 so.. go get pissy with him.

And I actually make an income. I've spent years teaching myself how to spin (DJ) and now I finally get paid well for it. I could lease my own car without having to trade in the TL, but I want to trade it in. I don't get along with my father so, I was trying to figure out a way around it. I live on my own income, and I've busted my ass to get to where I am. Now I'm triple majoring at SMU and then going to grad school.

Note: IM PAYING FOR IT.

Don't lecture unless you know the whole story. None of yall do.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
OH, and BTW my dad was wondering if there is any way to transfer the TL to my name when he gives it to me. I will be 17 when I get the car, and it will most likely be paid off.
Similar to this..but with out the stealing part:

Originally Posted by noah82
Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
steeez

i could have sworn it said 19 when i read this post, unless today is your birthday.. happybirthday! haha but yeah since theres no way to trade it in without your dad knowing, think of it as a free TL and with your lease payments you can put that twords moding it up nicely instead of payin off a type s while goin to school. right?

Wow. I'm 20 years old guys. No need to be cut-throat about it. Its an '04 too, with 55,000 miles on it, its not like its new or anything.
damn, you make it sound like shit. that might get you flamed. mines an 04 with 40K miles. i love her.. i even named her! "Charlotte"
Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Advanced

sorry... definitely 20... been 20 since january...

And no, its not shit, I just have a preference is all for the type-S. No big deal. Just hate talking with my Dad for personal reasons.

Thank yall for the information.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
East Coast Crew

Who's paying for the insurance of the car? Is it your dad? If you don't like the car why don't you give it back to your dad. Right now it just makes you look like you're stealing the car by trading it in.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pnoi521
It depends on the state, but in general I think what's required is for both of you to take the title to the DMV and apply for a title transfer. Try googling "nevada vehicle title transfer" and you'll probably find your answer pretty quickly...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:29 PM

....Don't lecture unless you know the whole story. None of yall do.
It is generally the case that there is more to the story than meets the eye...but, when you ask a question that includes a phrase like "without my Dad discovering" it is difficult for people to feel sympathetic to you or your situation. You put this situation out in a public forum...may I suggest that you get a little thicker skin, rather than complain at us about lectures.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Losers

My pops promised me a car b4 he passed, right now i'd give back my 06 TL my mom bought me just to have him around again.

:shakehead
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
steeez

Originally Posted by 3stageWDP
My pops promised me a car b4 he passed, right now i'd give back my 06 TL my mom bought me just to have him around again.

:shakehead
Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Race Director

Let me just say you shouldnt assume because someone is young they are idiots. I saved for years for my car and when I was ready to buy I knew I wanted something that would run well but at the same time pretty nice. My parents talked about me making payments on a new TL but I decided that was stupid when I can get used one pay it all off and have cheaper insurance. Im happy with my 00 it can last me through college then I can enjoy a new car.

As for kids being not appericative of there new cars I understand where you are coming from. Some kids at my school had there parents give them a free nice car and they pay for everything and all the do is beat the living shit out of it. It does drive me nuts but I know its going to come back to bit them in the ass when there in the real world.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Even if you and your dad don't get along that doesn't make it ok to try to trade a car in against his will. Besides, now you like the TL-S then the new TL comes out and you want it. It is a slippery slope to fall down if you can't maintain self control and not jump torwards every new car that you like.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Someone close this thread. It has served its purpose.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

u said u two don't get along and hes giving ur a car? wow...
also if u say u can pay for ur own car, y not just pay for it urself?
personally for me, if i don't get along w/ someone, i have to prove to them that i don't need their help and can do better than them....
but is ur business, and these r just my thought, hope you get it figured out, goodluck
Old 02-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its a simple matter for a paid off car to be transferred to a family member- and usually there are no fees except the actual 15 bucks for paperwork. Sometimes you even skip smog check! Totally legal as long as all parties willing

Thats if dad is really giving you a car.

Anything else is grand theft auto - which in real life is nothing like the game
Old 02-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I'm 20 years old guys. No need to be cut-throat about it. Its an '04 too, with 55,000 miles on it, its not like its new or anything. The guy that lives down the hall from me just got a new M5 and he's only 18 so.. go get pissy with him.

And I actually make an income. I've spent years teaching myself how to spin (DJ) and now I finally get paid well for it. I could lease my own car without having to trade in the TL, but I want to trade it in. I don't get along with my father so, I was trying to figure out a way around it. I live on my own income, and I've busted my ass to get to where I am. Now I'm triple majoring at SMU and then going to grad school.

Note: IM PAYING FOR IT.

Don't lecture unless you know the whole story. None of yall do.
Plain and simple, if your dad's name is on the title, it's his damn car at the end of the day.

Want to trade the TL you're driving in on a Type S? Ask your dad what he wants for it and pay him off. Then and only then should he assign the title to you.

You say, "I'm paying for it", but are you really?

If you're making all this DJ bank, pay your dad what the TL is worth, get the title from him and then trade it in.

Why would we be pissy at the 18 year-old who was given the M5? He's not trying to go behind his parent's back and trade the thing in. He's probably appreciative of the fact his parents gave him a nice car.

You STILL come off like a spoiled brat.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Ownership Question