Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valet Bastards

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valet Bastards

What up guys. I have read plenty of TL tragedy stories on this forum and would hope I wouldn't have one myself. Unfortunately I get my turn. I went to a club in Dallas and valet parked. The ladies were lovin me and that night seemed like it couldn't get any better. So it got bad. After the club let out I went to the valet booth and showed the valet guy my stub and he said they would pull my car around. After waiting over 30 minutes, I told the attendant forget it just give me my keys I'll get it myself. He couldn't find the keys and then told me the other valet guy has the keys to pull it around. So then I waited another 10-15min. Still no TL. So now I'm walking around the valet parking lot looking for my car. Can't find it. Valet people can't find it. They tell me that they gave me my keys. I still had my stub and that was my proof that they didn't give the keys to me. Then they tell me that it might have been towed. Finally one of my friends tell me that he thinks he's found it. I walked to it and it was mine minus my CD book with over 100 CDs in it and my friends CDs. My Digital Camera in the armrest was also missing. My keys were found on the ground not to far from the car. I went to complain to the valet attendant about my stolen things and they gave me a # to call to complain went inside the club and locked me out. Any chances I might get compensated? I still have the stub that the attendant is supposed to take when he gives me my keys. I that enough proof? At least the car wasn't damaged!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by littlechoppa
What up guys. I have read plenty of TL tragedy stories on this forum and would hope I wouldn't have one myself. Unfortunately I get my turn. I went to a club in Dallas and valet parked. The ladies were lovin me and that night seemed like it couldn't get any better. So it got bad. After the club let out I went to the valet booth and showed the valet guy my stub and he said they would pull my car around. After waiting over 30 minutes, I told the attendant forget it just give me my keys I'll get it myself. He couldn't find the keys and then told me the other valet guy has the keys to pull it around. So then I waited another 10-15min. Still no TL. So now I'm walking around the valet parking lot looking for my car. Can't find it. Valet people can't find it. They tell me that they gave me my keys. I still had my stub and that was my proof that they didn't give the keys to me. Then they tell me that it might have been towed. Finally one of my friends tell me that he thinks he's found it. I walked to it and it was mine minus my CD book with over 100 CDs in it and my friends CDs. My Digital Camera in the armrest was also missing. My keys were found on the ground not to far from the car. I went to complain to the valet attendant about my stolen things and they gave me a # to call to complain went inside the club and locked me out. Any chances I might get compensated? I still have the stub that the attendant is supposed to take when he gives me my keys. I that enough proof? At least the car wasn't damaged!
Hopefully your stub or any signs in the area say that the club is not responsible for what happens to your car. As long as there isn't they are def. responsible. What was the phone # for? The club owner? Was the car damaged at all, or just items were stolen?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Advanced

i think on those stubs there is a little disclaimer about them not being liable for theft, but I am not a lawyer...that sucks!

On the brightside...you still have your TL.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Call the number but you may need a lawyer pronto as well. I'm not a lawyer but they may not be able to eliminate reasonable care (not stealing your stuff) because of a little sign. Good luck. Next time, valet key or no stuff in the car or park it yourself.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the reasons I never Valet park my cars. Those guys like to joy ride in nice cars and have a tendancy to beat on them. Not to mention how close they park them to other cars.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Yes, they are responsible regardless of any signs that say they are not. The reason is a legal term called "bailment". When you turn over your keys and control of your property to another entity, that entity assumes total responsibility of the property. If, on the other hand, you go to a lot that is not controlled and you park your own car and take your keys with you, there is no bailment.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have to have a car valet parked, you take everything out of he car of any value. They clearly state they are not responsible for anything left in the car. I also make sure I take note of the mileage and write it on the stub.

I walk around the car to visually inspect it before they drive it away and when I get it. Since it appears they were not in possession of the keys when you arrived to get your car, then there was something up. Maybe you can make a claim for the CDs. The camera is another thing.

They had a show once that showed how valets look for any cash/coins left in the car. All on a hidden camera...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

The # was for the valet service. The stub says."This contract limits our laibility. Customer and Company agree: Customer agrees to inspect car before leavinng lot and make any claim of loss or damage in writing Company's form before leaving and commerce action within 90 days constitutes waiver of claim." I didn't read it that night but I did advise the valet guy of my loss and he just gave me a # and told me to call it today. Thats when he went inside the club and locked the door behind him
Old 04-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Racer

Actually SouthernBoy is right... the legalities of bailment preclude any comments made, either implicit or explicit that negate their legal responsibility once they have incurred temporary ownership. Any affront or attempt to recuse their responsibility is negligence.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Regardless of what you might think you have to push it with the company to get them to pay up. Thats why the stub says by accepting this ervice yadda yadda yadda. Temporary ownership!!! no that is not happening. I do believe they are responsible but then as I said you have to push it and prove that you had 100 CDs in the car etc. Provide receipts for it and so forth. All they can say is that they did not touch the car or do anything with whatever contents were inside it.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input guys. Something tells me that I have a fight on my hands especially when they are claiming they had giving me my keys. At least they didn't take my A-spec wheels and sub out. I had planned on posting pictures but Digital Camera is gone so it'll be a while.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Josiphus

You should definately speak to someone in management or the owner of the Club. Hopefully, either you or one of your friends has some pre-existing rapport with the club. They are responsible for ensuring that they Valet company they hire is bonded/insured for negligence. A police report would be valuable in the event that legal action is required.

I had a valet incident a few months ago w/ my '02 TL-S. Picked up my car from Valet at one of my favorite restaurants and drove straight home. The next morning, I found a 3" gash on my front bumper. I had no proof, no witnesses, and no evidence. I KNEW the scratch was not there when I went to dinner, nor did it happen in my garage. The restaurant owner directed me to the owner of the Valet company and instructed him to make things right. I got an estimate to repaint my bumper from a bodyshop. The next week, the valet company cut me a check for $400 sight unseen.

If you and your friends regularly patronize this establishment, the Club should see that you are reimbursed you as a business decision!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Well I've been there at least 7 times and valet 3 times for sure. I'm calling the valet company on my lunch hour
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
If you have to have a car valet parked, you take everything out of he car of any value. They clearly state they are not responsible for anything left in the car. I also make sure I take note of the mileage and write it on the stub.

I walk around the car to visually inspect it before they drive it away and when I get it. Since it appears they were not in possession of the keys when you arrived to get your car, then there was something up. Maybe you can make a claim for the CDs. The camera is another thing.

They had a show once that showed how valets look for any cash/coins left in the car. All on a hidden camera...
i actually saw that too.....a news crew i think in new york city did that and they were scoping out some of the nicest restaurants that you wouldn't think would do this but they actually do. they placed a hidden camera above the passanger side pillar or some shit and they placed money clips...cameras...and cell phones in certain places and they watched them take it and then they confronted the owners of the restaurants blah blah blah...pretty interesting...

anyways...
man that sucks....although i will continue to park my car valet. whenever i am in a situation where i give the keys to another person i always put my valuables in the trunk and lock it and give them the valet key(thats what its for..lol)...but if i ever go through a carwash i always put my stuff in the trunk even if i give them the regular key ill know if they open the trunk or snoop around or anything...better luck next time...hope all goes well with your claim
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Racer

I agree with the last poster. Despite the whole "we are not responsible..." thing. If you can show damage, the company will more than likely do something about it.

PS: you were smart enough to fill out a police report, right? Potential bad press for the valet company is always a good card to play when they've wronged you.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

Thats funny b/c I always put my valuables in my trunk whenever I park my car myself. Trying to be too cool and look what happened. Dammit!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Racer

What club was it?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

I called the cops when they said they couldn't find it.. The cop says" There is nothing we really can do. There were a lot of cars towed that shouldn't have been. It's in the hands of the valet service and towing company."And then he said my favorite line that I love hearing from the police. "Sorry would couldn't be of service"
Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

"Purgatory" in Downtown
Old 04-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Banned

Any chances I might get compensated? I still have the stub that the attendant is supposed to take when he gives me my keys. I that enough proof? At least the car wasn't damaged!
Hey buddy,
I'll give you the good news first (yes you can complaint onlyl if the stub does not have a disclaimer that said they're not responsibile for any stolen or lost material

Now I'll give you the bad news, I so-called A REALITY CHECK.
Take your loss and STFU about it. Your car wasn't towed, wasn't damaged, scratched, stolen, crashed, or dented. Your car is ok and you should be glad about that! I am terribly sorry about 100+ CDs, but least your car is still with you unscratched.

nice Reality check eh? Next time, Don't valet park! I never valet park my car, it's pointless. You trust a STRANGER to take your car and park it for you? Have you take a look at those valent parking people lately?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Valet parking always makes me think of Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 04-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I thought the same.. Ferris gave the guy 5 bucks... to make sure they took extra special care of the car!! And the people that tell you not to worry about valet parking are those are are super rich or super poor. Nothing to loose or do not care at all since it can all be easily replaced.

Was it one of those private clubs like the one George Costanza went to? Once day all super models the next day a meat locker....
Old 04-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah, thats the first thing I thought of. It would be cool if the valet key had a chip which limited RPM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Josiphus

Disclaimers mean nothing regarding your legal rights. If everyone who signed a disclaimer was prohibited from taking legal action, we would have empty courthouses and law schools everywhere! The valets were negligent in not returning your keys. Negligence superceeds disclaimers.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Never trust Valet!!!! That's rule #-1 in the TL owner handbook!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:44 PM
GO TIME

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Ferris gave the guy 5 bucks...
"a finski"
Old 04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I'm certainly not going to give you or anyone else a hard time about this, but my take on valet parking is very simple: I don't use it. More than that, I will completely avoid taking my car to a place which has valet parking, regardless of the social occasion or such. My property is far too important to me to jeopardize it's well-being.

For example, this coming June has a wedding of a relative for me and my wife to attend. I have already called the reception location (in Alexandria) and asked about parking. While not valet, Alexandria is not the kind of place where I am of a mind to take either my or my wife's car (an '04 and '05 TL) and trust to its safety. So I shall rent a car for the day and have a nice time with a smile on my face and not worry about my two TL's at home in the garage.

One time, I used a valet service at a lot across from a movie theater in Washington, DC when I was young. I swore I would never do that again and I haven't since.

Now as for signs and tickets which may state that the lot is not responsible for your property, BS. When you turn over your keys, especially in a lot with attendants, responsibility for the safety and security of your property is automatically assumed by the lot. It's the same for dry clearners. When you take in your suit for cleaning, they assume total responsibilty for your suit.

Consider using small claims court if necessary.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

Well I called the valet company yesterday. Got a voicemail for the office # and spoke with some guy at the cell #. He asked me what happened and told me to give a call to the office. I told him that I reached their voicemail already and he said to just leave a message and someone will call me back. Still waiting
Old 04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

G'Luck! Let us know!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks for the laugh - I had forgotten about those two guys - too funny

Originally Posted by DFBRL8R
Valet parking always makes me think of Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

and that's about it

Well I called the valet company yesterday. Got a voicemail for the office # and spoke with some guy at the cell #. He asked me what happened and told me to give a call to the office. I told him that I reached their voicemail already and he said to just leave a message and someone will call me back. Still waiting

I think you will continue to wait as well. They will have some stock answer that they asked the valet people if there were any personal items as you described ever seen in the car and they will say no. You will hear that when you call back since they will not call you. They will tell you that none of the people on that day saw any of the items you spoke of and that is all they can do. Sorry.

I assume you do not have any names just office numbers... If they have your number on caller ID they will know when to not answer the phone. Sorry but that is about it. I do not believe someone will say yea, we accounted for all the items you spoke of and submitting an insurance claim since A, they are admitting fault and B, any insurance they do have will be dropped or go up from claims.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 PM
ediddy

I second that! valet people are horrrriiibbllllleeee!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Banned

This is a case of bailment with the necessity of reasonable care. This is an even exchange bailment for the gain of both parties. They are responsible for a level of reasonable care which is clearly violated by the negligence in losing (leaving) the keys, and the car was burglarized by their negligence. (Or by them)

Get a lawyer, disclaimers are a joke and often are discarded in court. You need to press this hard and fast.

(FYI those little disclaimers about not being responsible are even less valuable to the business when they keep your keys: this indicates they are the only ones with access)

LAWYER UP.