Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Is that then a half second? [lol!]

My brain's hurtin'

Stiillhere153...glad you're OK!
My chain just got jerked once again (no dirty innuendo intended).
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Yes, you should only use a hydraulic floor jack at the center point fronr or rear. I would not use a sissor or hydraulic bottle jack there front or rear.

Also when using jackstands using the side lift points (shown in the diagram above in the previous post), I put a old shop rag on top of the jack stand to cushion the paint on the metal tabs on the body where it makes contact. Most shops don't bother so rust will start on there since the amount of pressure will chip/defrom the painted surface on the lift tabs.
Exactly Legend. I used to carry two pieces of heavy felt in my cars just for this purpose and reason. While the Acura side jack point is better than most I've seen in this regard, doing what you suggested can only be a positive safeguard.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For safety reasons, I am reluctant to work on any car that is positioned on 4 extended jack stands. You might be able to do your fluid change with the rear wheels solidly on the ground and just the front on two jack stands. It is a bit more of a squeeze, but safer. When I rotate tires on a front wheel drive car, I find that point on the front subframe to place the floor jack where both wheels on the side lift at the same time. I jack until both wheels are barely off the ground and place a single jack stand right next to the jack. Then I switch the tires on the same side from front to rear. I torque the rears but snug the fronts with just a couple of lug nuts. Then I put the car back down on all fours and repeat the process on the other side. Again I put the car back down on all fours. Then I lift the front, placing the jack at the center lift point, and switch the two front tires giving me the tire rotation pattern I prefer for FWD, front to rear; rear to diagonal front. This method is fast, it avoids having to support the car on stands and it also avoids the marring that stands leave on the undercarriage.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
yeah but with directional tires you can only do front/back how to do this without jack-stands or lifting the car 4 times? I've done it too many times. Personally, I find it easier to pay a shop $12 to do it. I'll save my $$ with my self-oil changes.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
yeah but with directional tires you can only do front/back how to do this without jack-stands or lifting the car 4 times? I've done it too many times. Personally, I find it easier to pay a shop $12 to do it. I'll save my $$ with my self-oil changes.
the problem with paying a shop 12 bucks to rotate your tires is that they more times than not, use too much force with the impact gun on your wheels lugs...this can cause rotor warping...i either use my jack and the jack out of my wifes car and lift front and rear and swap the wheels, then do the other side, or i just use the spare and do one wheel at a time...either way, i am very careful with my car and lug wrench as to not over tighten the lugs or scratch a wheel which can happen for 12 bucks...its ok for your car, but not for mine...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Does anybody have an answer to the question about not using 4 jack stands to support the entire car? This almost seems foolish to me. I have worked on cars on 4 jackstands for years (including a race car that I practically lived under for 5 years). I wonder what the data is that supports the 2 jackstand only theory?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Four different jack stands?

I have a total of four different vehicles in my family. I am deciding to paint my calipers in the next three weeks. Is it possible/safe that I will be able to use four different type of jack stands to hold up my TL? Any comments please throw it at me. Thanx!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Oh yeah, trust me, I'm one of those jerks who come out to the garage and slap some goggles on to make sure they're doin it right. I always insist they don't tighten with the gun and torque em down, I know those kids do shortcuts when nobodys lookin. I feel comfy enough back there, I used to manage a tire garage.

I am using 2 different jackstands as well. I'm sure it's fine as long as they're rated the same and put at exactly the same level.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
I would use two pairs of identical jackstands (meaning the front or rear were the same type). I would not use 4 different jackstands to hold up a vehicle.
Too much torsional stress and unequal loading on the stands.

Originally Posted by Sondinh
I have a total of four different vehicles in my family. I am deciding to paint my calipers in the next three weeks. Is it possible/safe that I will be able to use four different type of jack stands to hold up my TL? Any comments please throw it at me. Thanx!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
I tend to feel the same way, I've had cars on 4 jackstands before but only for tire rotation, brake bleeding, painting, or some activity that does not involve torqueing fasteners on or off.

I'm much more confortable with jacking up the rear, putting a piar of jackstands on the rear lift tabs then jacking up the front with a hydraulic floor jack.

My jackstands are OK, but not as nice as some of the newer ones with wide bases that minimize tipover.

I accidently tipped over a car while working on it on jackstands over two decades ago, I was OK (was not under the car) the only car damage was bent disc brake shields but I'll never forget that instant lump in my throat as it started to go over. Taught me a free lesson in making sure the surface is really flat and as level as possible.

A former colleague's friend's dad was killed in his garage in Virginia a few years ago working under a classic muscle car without jackstands (only a floor jack), so always use jackstands (that are also preloaded with some vehicle contact) and a floorjack when under any vehicle.

Originally Posted by flanso
For safety reasons, I am reluctant to work on any car that is positioned on 4 extended jack stands. You might be able to do your fluid change with the rear wheels solidly on the ground and just the front on two jack stands. It is a bit more of a squeeze, but safer. When I rotate tires on a front wheel drive car, I find that point on the front subframe to place the floor jack where both wheels on the side lift at the same time. I jack until both wheels are barely off the ground and place a single jack stand right next to the jack. Then I switch the tires on the same side from front to rear. I torque the rears but snug the fronts with just a couple of lug nuts. Then I put the car back down on all fours and repeat the process on the other side. Again I put the car back down on all fours. Then I lift the front, placing the jack at the center lift point, and switch the two front tires giving me the tire rotation pattern I prefer for FWD, front to rear; rear to diagonal front. This method is fast, it avoids having to support the car on stands and it also avoids the marring that stands leave on the undercarriage.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by stillhere153

hopes this helps (rear jacked using 2 hydro's)
That is just SO dangerous!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

hell no dont do it .. just go to a mechanic with less headache my 2cents
Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

When I rotate tires on a front wheel drive car, I find that point on the front subframe to place the floor jack where both wheels on the SAME SIDE of the car lift at the same time, it is usually somewhere under the front doors. I jack until both wheels are barely off the ground and then, for safety, place a single jack stand right next to the jack. Then I switch the tires on the same side from front to rear. I torque the rears but snug the fronts with just a couple of lug nuts. Then I put the car back down on all fours and repeat the process on the other side of the car. Then I lift just the front wheels, placing the jack at the center lift point, and switch the two front tires from side to side giving me the tire rotation pattern I prefer for FWD, front to rear; rear to diagonal front. This method is fast, it avoids the risk of supporting the car on jack stands and it also avoids the marring that stands leave on the undercarriage.