3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ups lost tires/rims i sent out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
OK, even with insurance, UPS will still go thru the same procedure of a claim!

They lost the package by not scanning it. The UPS driver is at fault. But at the moment, you guys are the at mercy of UPS. I had plenty of claims returned where no fault by UPS was found, though I had same problems of the UPS driver not scanning every package..so I was losing money left and right. You need to grab them by balls, literally.

And so you know, if a business ships out the merchandise, and it gets lost, the business resends the package, while filing a claim with UPS. The customer always wins, and the business is left looking like a schmuck for not being extra careful.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
Insurance is minimal. It's my fault for not even thinking to ask for it, and I'm sorry I didn't. In my defense, I buy a lot of stuff on the internet, been getting UPS shipments without problems my entire adult life. Nothing like this has ever happened before with anything I've purchased, or shipped so that's why it never occurred to me to even mention it to the buyer. I know better now. But honestly, as stated in my first post, I doubt insurance would come into play here anyway. UPS never shipped the packages. It's different than if they were damaged or lost enroute.

And the price for the wheels/tires wasn't anywhere near that $3,200 price! I'd never pay that much for used Base-Model TL Wheels with Bridgestones on them! These are a set of cheap wheels and tires for winter use on my car. Check out the seller's Black Market thread if you want an idea of what they sold for.
If UPS never shipped the packages, I would think they or the store they were supposed to be shipped from are responsible, regardless of insurance...

Just going by the original post - "these tires rims were 1600 just for two"... I know what you mean about usually not getting insurance (although I personally do/would for anything over $100-200 just for peace of mind if anything were to go wrong). Like you said - live and learn...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

without purchasing insurance on the packages, it's pretty much a sit and wait game. allow UPS an alloted time to investigate and search. i really hope this turns out well for you both.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs

Where it went wrong at UPS is hard to fathom, but they issued 4 tracking numbers, only scanned 2 of the packages. The other 2 never even got an origin scan, they only showed a status of "Billing information recieved". That status was all it ever showed when I tracked those numbers. After the seller called to have them look into it the status changed to "Exception", and that's what it still shows today. There is no way insurance should enter into the picture. UPS never even scanned them into the system after issuing a tracking number. They SHOULD be pretty easily convinced that they owe for the value of these items adn for the price of shipping, and since Paypal was used for payment to the seller, we both have a record of the value (price paid). At this point, UPS is still doing an internal investigation, and that will take a total of 8 business days. When they complete the investigation, a claim can be filed by the seller for compensation for the items that never left the original UPS facility.
Kudos on keeping a cool head!

As far as what went wrong on the UPS side...If I remember correctly, a tracking number is issued immediately when the transaction is done either through UPS.com or a UPS shipping counter of some sort. A tracking number can be issued with the package still in the shipper's possession. The Origin Scan happens when the driver picks up the package and scans the bar code. So, if I am correct, the driver potentially never picked up the "lost" packages and they may still be sitting at the store, counter or wherever the shipper shipped them from.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Instructor

One other thought...I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they pay for the value of anything without the shipper purchasing the insurance. Maybe they'll refund the cost to ship...that's about it.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Originally Posted by ecliptics
damn dude sorry to hear.. i hope it works out for you, and the buyer! and yea paypal does work like that.. he can file to get his money back if he didnt recieve the items. your paypal account would then get locked or something. hope ups finds it
so they will take the money out my acct. being i didnt lose them?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ac08odl
so they will take the money out my acct. being i didnt lose them?
No, if you read my thread it says you'll need to file the claim with UPS. Whatever they determine will go to you, then you send it to me. Like I said you did your part, no way it should cost you money out of your accounts. I will NOT file anything with paypal or your CC company against you. That would just be wrong.

All I ask of you is to do is keep doing what you already are. Follow through with UPS and file the claim when they allow you to. The very least they will pay out is $100.00 per lost package + shipping. That should amount to just under $300.00. If things go very well they'll pay out half the price I paid you plus shipping on two of the packages. But in either event if anyone loses here it will be me, not you. Like I said you did your part like a gentleman. Not your fault that UPS screwed the pooch.

Cool?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Insurance FTW......for any shipment over $100 declared value

Kudos to both of you for dealing with this shitty situation like stand-up guys It's a shame that we pay for carrier services and then when they screw up a simple shipment, WE have to wet-nurse them through their f@ck-up! I worked in the LTL freight business for 12 long years and have seen the worst case scenarios many times. FWIW....shipping with ANY carrier is a crap-shoot...the farther the distance shipped, the more times the freight is handled at every intermediate terminal, the more possibility for the package to get damaged or lost before it reaches it's final destination...those are the realities of the law of averages and that damn Murphy guys law as well. Hope this deal gets resolved quickly for both of you. On a side note......4 packages shipped, yet only 2 were scanned???? SUSPECT!!! Shipper needs to go back and investigate location of original shipment and get some answers...if you haven't already.

Last edited by firstacuratl; 08-22-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^
Amen, Brother. A lesson for all of us to be learned!

Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Busting some beats...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope this all goes well for you guys. I've been in some crap shoots with carriers before but...this is by far the worst I've heard of. But....insurance WONT cover the items IF, only IF the items were not scanned or never left the original place of shipment.

Again, hope you two get this resolved.