Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unlocking car with cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:29 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried it, but it didn't work...

Does anybody want to take pictures of how you held your phone(the people who got this to work). Maybe you have to hold the phone in the right way... I'll try again when somebody posts pictures of how to hold my phone, because I tried it, and bummer.. no work.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dedpheonix
Yes this has been discussed.

And yes this does work. I've done it through my Treo.
This doesn't work when we tried it.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what to say. it works for me many times. i don't know the in's and out's behind it but it works. however did not work with the evo
Old 04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It works

It worked for me. I did this last night coincidentally w/o reading this thread. Heard about it from a friend who was by my car at the time. I was about a block away.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As noted by avs007, this is technically impossible with an RF key fob. The digital signal that cellular service uses won't transmit the frequencies that the security system needs in order to be activated, plus there is nothing on the phone that could receive and transmit RF even if it was carried by the cell service. A little 2 cent speaker and microphone won't work

However, to be fair, it could possibly happen if some car system used an ultrasonic key fob (or subsonic I guess) and by some freak of frequency response, that audio frequency was able to go through the phone without too much distortion or signal loss. Not likely either, but either that works or there are a lot of jokers posting here.

However, I work for a automotive electronics company, and all our OEM fobs are RF and I've never heard of an audio key fob. Except the clapper...

Matt
Old 04-29-2007, 07:51 PM
gimme a 4G !!

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
This doesn't work when we tried it.

I have a Treo 700p from Sprint with the last update PalmOne put out in February.

What are you using?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mateozzz
As noted by avs007, this is technically impossible with an RF key fob. The digital signal that cellular service uses won't transmit the frequencies that the security system needs in order to be activated, plus there is nothing on the phone that could receive and transmit RF even if it was carried by the cell service. A little 2 cent speaker and microphone won't work

However, to be fair, it could possibly happen if some car system used an ultrasonic key fob (or subsonic I guess) and by some freak of frequency response, that audio frequency was able to go through the phone without too much distortion or signal loss. Not likely either, but either that works or there are a lot of jokers posting here.

However, I work for a automotive electronics company, and all our OEM fobs are RF and I've never heard of an audio key fob. Except the clapper...

Matt
believe me I have more time on my hands them to joke. I did not think it would work and said impossible. but it worked for me. So of you guys can bring out the tech side to dicredit it but it worked.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Wow, I was too busy running around trying to wash my car and get new pics that I completely forgot about this! I will try this first thing tomorrow!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dedpheonix
I have a Treo 700p from Sprint with the last update PalmOne put out in February.

What are you using?
Treo 700WX
Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

For the ones that got it to work. Could there be a possbility that you were still in range of the remote with the car and it received the signal that way and not through the phone itself? I believe some might be doing this.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 AM
19UUA75577A

I've seen this work, but I haven't tried it.
It doesn't surprise me at all though, and while I tend to be a logical/skeptical person, I fully believe that it works, here's why:

I've seen the amount of interference cell phones generate in their environment, ever hear a buzzing noise coming out of speakers when a cell phone is ringing?
Plus, I've seen it work.

Somehow the cellular connection is acting as a carrier for the remote's signal, you can think it sounds like crap, but look at it this way: sometimes a call has interference, say you're using a bluetooth headset, the interference it introduces gets broadcasted to the connected party, so they're hearing crappy RF that isn't supposed to be there.. In the case of the remote, the signal from the remote is interfering with the cell phone's radio, because the cell phone is truly a dumb device, it broadcasts whatever signal it has, regardless of the interference. Since we have already established that cell phones, in terms of RF, are noisy devices, it's not that much of a leap to believe that the signal the phone is receiving might be leaking out to your car's remote entry system.

There's a ton of people arguing back and forth on this page: http://www.wsdmag.com/Article/Articl...453/13453.html

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter who does or doesn't believe that it works. The important thing is that those of us that do will use it in those infrequent cases where we need it, and the rest will be locked out.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:06 PM
gimme a 4G !!

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
For the ones that got it to work. Could there be a possbility that you were still in range of the remote with the car and it received the signal that way and not through the phone itself? I believe some might be doing this.

It's definitely a possibility that there is a difference between your 700wx and my 700p. Being as they are completely different OS's certain capabilities my not have been put on one that is one the other. (Little things like I have Sprint's "On Demand" service that came free with the 700p, and the ability to go to the 'Vision' homepage to download ringtones..... I don't think the WX has those)

And my g/f was at work 7 or 8 miles away when we did this. I'm pretty sure the keyfob wouldn't have reached it on its own
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Racer

its'a niiice
Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 PM
B A N N E D

Why are people contacting those dildos at mythbusters to try it....? It seems like something you could do yourself.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by hornedfrog2000
Why are people contacting those dildos at mythbusters to try it....? It seems like something you could do yourself.
to show the rest of the world the result... derr..
Old 04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
B A N N E D

They don't know what they are doing.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Holy wars

This argument is starting to sound like a religious argument, all faith, no science. Basically many of us don't know the others in the forum, so we don't trust what you are saying. The internet is full of so much bs that any information has to come from a trusted source. For example, the links to lists of useful things to do with your cell phone all end with an 800 number to call, which would transfer you to a pay per minute line, not exactly an unbiased source.

The scientific theory against this working is so strong that it trumps all of the "I did it" testimonials, because as we all know, people make mistakes or just plain make stuff up (think UFOs and alien abductions). So until some *trusted* source, like Mythbusters, takes a look, it's the equivalent of "Did so" "Did not" "Did too".

So anyone who claims they did, please post the make and year of your car, the model of your phone, and your carrier. Send that to Mythbusters to help them out.

You could also try a more scientific test. Maybe collect a bunch of fobs, give them to a friend and have him/her drive at least 1 mile away. They then call you while you are standing by your car and try the fobs, 1 by 1. They won't know which fob is yours, so it's at least a partially blind experiment. Of course all this would be videotaped and monitored by 3 impartial observers....just kidding.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Heard about it from a friend who was by my car at the time. I was about a block away.
At the parking lot at my work, I can lock/unlock our TL from clear across the parking lot if I have a clear view from the 1st floor or do this from the second floor, which is the equivalent of 2-3 city blocks in distance. (Sometimes I double check to see if I locked the doors)

Originally Posted by Modulus
In the case of the remote, the signal from the remote is interfering with the cell phone's radio, because the cell phone is truly a dumb device, it broadcasts whatever signal it has, regardless of the interference.
YEah, the problem is that it doesn't work that way. First off, the fob won't interfere with the cell phone becuase they operate on a completely different frequency. That's like saying if I shine a bright enough flashlight at your car, I can disrupt your FM radio reception.

But for argument's sake, lets pretend that there was interference. Cell phones are not analog devices anymore. They don't simply broadcast whatever signals they have. It encodes the signals, encrypts them, etc. The protocols incorporate error correction, etc. If a packet gets corrupt, the packet will be dropped and/or retried (depends on the specific protocol). It won't blindly pass corrupted packets onto the network, that's a sure-fire way to hack-down a network.

(I say this, because one of my first projects when I started working, was to designing/implementing a Forward-Error Correction scheme/protocol to improve signal/data quality on long-distance wireless networks.)

Now for arguments sake, lets pretend you aren't using a digital phone, but an analog one that actually does send what it receives. How is it picking up RF, through a microphone? Assuming RF found it's way onto the cellular network to the other phone... How is that analog phone designed to carry voice traffic, going to broadcast RF?

Before I dig too deep into assumptions... ALL RF devices are regulated by the FCC. If you look at what it means to be FCC compliant..... It basically says that your device MUST not interfere with other devices, AND must be tolerant of interference from others.

This is why when your your buddy with a Verizon CDMA phone uses his phone, your GSM Cingular phone doesn't explode. Seriously tho... If you built a device that used unlicensed spectrum (like key fobs) that disrupted, interfered, etc with somebody elses licensed spectrum (like cellular networks), you will be be SEVERELY fined/punished by both the FCC and the owners of the licensed spectrum.

Since we have already established that cell phones, in terms of RF, are noisy devices, it's not that much of a leap to believe that the signal the phone is receiving might be leaking out to your car's remote entry system.
Cellphones are NOT noisy devices. "Noisy" RF devices are illegal. Signal leakage is actually tightly regulated. ESPECIALLY devices that use LICENSED spectrum.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Drifting

On a side note...

Relaying a signal through a 3rd party device (aka your cell phone) from your key fob to your car, is a basic "man-in-the-middle" attack. I would hope the car security system is designed in such a way to be tolerant of this.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You mean INtolerant! I don't want MY car tolerating JACK!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Racer

May this help clear the air on such a critical issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute
Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Texas
May this help clear the air on such a critical issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute
Whatever with that, it worked on my Legend...but it doesn't work on my 2G or 3G! I guess Acura's been drinking milk?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by avs007
At the parking lot at my work, I can lock/unlock our TL from clear across the parking lot if I have a clear view from the 1st floor or do this from the second floor, which is the equivalent of 2-3 city blocks in distance. (Sometimes I double check to see if I locked the doors)
2-3 blocks is hard to believe. I haven't been able to go beyond about 30yds. I have an 05' non-navi for about 7months.

I just tried again, with a different phone/friend and it didn't work. When it did it was with a Treo that's a few years old and a blackberry around the same age. I'll try again with the working combo.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by playboyha
2-3 blocks is hard to believe. I haven't been able to go beyond about 30yds. I have an 05' non-navi for about 7months.
You'd be surprised how far a wireless signal can travel, when you have line-of-site.

In college, on our 9th floor quad, I put my cordless phone by the window. I could carry my handset with me, and receive signal from a quarter of the campus. In fact, I used to talk to my Girlfriend on the phone late at night while sitting on the top of the parking structure, using my cordless phone.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast-tl
You mean INtolerant! I don't want MY car tolerating JACK!
YEah poor choice of words. You know what I meant tho I meant that whenever I design a network protocol, I always get grilled by our security guys to make sure I took those things into consideration.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mateozzz
The scientific theory against this working is so strong that it trumps all of the "I did it" testimonials, because as we all know, people make mistakes or just plain make stuff up (think UFOs and alien abductions). So until some *trusted* source, like Mythbusters, takes a look, it's the equivalent of "Did so" "Did not" "Did too".
UFOs aren't real?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Pro

2-3 blocks is NOTHING. I can lock and unlock my TL from 2-3 MILES away!!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by kenny5
2-3 blocks is NOTHING. I can lock and unlock my TL from 2-3 MILES away!!
Ok, I'll play along...how the hell do you do that? Not with a stock remote you don't! Do you mean using the phone technique? WHat phone are you using? My XV6700 is not doing the trick!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by darksom1
Ok, I'll play along...how the hell do you do that? Not with a stock remote you don't! Do you mean using the phone technique? WHat phone are you using? My XV6700 is not doing the trick!
You may recall that the 2002 and 2003 TLs have GM's On Star Service, which allows you to call the Service to lock and unlock your car, no matter where it is located, unless it is in a covered building or similar structure. So, my statement is 100% correct, if you are talking about 2nd gen TLs.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

It didn't work for me. Yea i just tried to on my 2004 tl and it does not work. I put it right next to the window and door hold unlock..no result. My cell phone is from cingular btw Nokia-6620 & land line. I have no idea how u guys are making it work. Next try will be with 2 Nokia-6620 from cingular.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

I just tried this because I didn’t believe it would work and it did. I tried it with my Samsung A900 (Sprint) cell phone and my wife was on our land line and it worked. It seemed like I had to stand close to the front of the car because it wasn’t working near the rear.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:25 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i tried, doesn't work for me.

phones used were a motorola slvr and samsung blackjack both from cingular

the slvr was what i had my brother press the lock/unlock buttons through while i held the blackjack near the car. it was worth a try...oh well
Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I don't plan on losing my keys, but maybe when I'm drunk and curious I'll give this a shot.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Noc Emission
I just tried this because I didn’t believe it would work and it did. I tried it with my Samsung A900 (Sprint) cell phone and my wife was on our land line and it worked. It seemed like I had to stand close to the front of the car because it wasn’t working near the rear.
Hmm...I was standing near the door when I tried it. Maybe I need to go to the front of the car? What the hell, I'll try it again tomorrow! I know it works, so I hope I can get it to work on this Acura (worked on my '92 Legend).
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Hmm...I was standing near the door when I tried it. Maybe I need to go to the front of the car? What the hell, I'll try it again tomorrow! I know it works, so I hope I can get it to work on this Acura (worked on my '92 Legend).
where did you stand when you did it darksom? i stood by the front driver's door and it wouldn't work. i also sat in the car and tried it. how come it works for everyone else?

on a side note, i noticed you changed your avatar like 4 times during the last week darksom, new camera??
Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
where did you stand when you did it darksom? i stood by the front driver's door and it wouldn't work. i also sat in the car and tried it. how come it works for everyone else?

on a side note, i noticed you changed your avatar like 4 times during the last week darksom, new camera??
I stood by the driver's door as well. Didn't work! But, tht is where I stood when I did get it to work on my Legend. So, maybe it's the phone company you use?

As for my avatars, I would just get with them after a while, so I'd change them. But this one will stay for awhile because it shows kind of everything I wanted it to say (Paint by Microsoft helped tho). Need I say what? LOL! If you've been tuned in, you already know!

Now, if only it was a nighttime pic... !! There I go again!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 AM
Instructor

I tried this today and it did not work at all
Old 05-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Instructor

I don't understand why certain members are claiming this works; perhaps it is due to the hilarity of tricking us naysayers into doing it. I was one of those naysayers on the theoretical side and now I fell into temptation and tried it. Now, I am a naysayer on the practical side. It did not work. I think the Treo might be causing some brick sized brain tumors.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by dejavecu
I don't understand why certain members are claiming this works; perhaps it is due to the hilarity of tricking us naysayers into doing it. I was one of those naysayers on the theoretical side and now I fell into temptation and tried it. Now, I am a naysayer on the practical side. It did not work. I think the Treo might be causing some brick sized brain tumors.
theres a trick in post 29 - read ALL of it.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=fant0m_TL]yeah... i tried it... i live in waukesha - thats about 40 miles away from where i am now (work) - about 231 blocks west of lake michigan. I just called my dad (at home) and and had him use his cell (same as mine - cingular 8525).

it worked. I had him unlock my car, and hold down the unlock to make the windows roll down... i couldnt believe it!

NOW ALL YOU IDIOTS WHO BELIEVED ME IN THIS POST NEED TO GIVE ME YOUR KEYS BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY YOU SHOULD BE DRIVING A TL!![/QUOTE]

Post 29....Red Type was white! Tricky Tricky Fantom! LOL! Dont worry..i didnt fall for it (im keeping my keys!).....

Quick Reply: unlocking car with cell phone