Sponsored by:

Uneven brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:40 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Uneven brake pad wear

Hello all,

I have a 08 TL S with front Brembos. One day I started to notice that my brakes seemed to grab really hard with normal braking. Anything other than very light pressure on the brake pedal and they would grab hard. So I check the front pads and rotors. It was then that I noticed the inside pad of the front passenger side had almost no pad left. Until I looked at the entire pad...

When I removed the pad I observed that the leading edge of the pad had more wear than the trailing edge of the pad. One end was almost worn to the metal, the other end still had plenty of pad. It looked like the pad was sitting against the rotor at an angle instead of parallel to it. It's almost like one of the pistons on the inside of the caliper wasn't pushing with as much force as the other piston (or even at all).

What's really strange is that the other three front brake pads hardly had any wear at all. They looked like they still had about 75% of the pad remaining.

So has anyone experienced anything like this before? I don't know much about the details of a brake system that uses anti lock technology so I don't know if this is something that can just be resolved by bleeding the brakes.

Anyone have any useful suggestions for how to identify what is causing this unusual brake wear?

Thank you,

Jet
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the caliper might be sticking or getting stuck on one side.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Pull the pads and check for a sticking lower piston. The lowers will be the first to bind/stick as condensation will lay in the lower part of the caliper.
I believe that the Brembos have 2 different size pistons, leading smaller, trailing larger, to counteract the heat buildup in the pad, so if you need a seal/boot, you'll know the size. If the piston is sticking, I'd pull both calipers and "rebuild" the calipers, clean bores and pistons if needed with fine crocus cloth, rinse thoroughly, and install new seals and boots.