Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undecided: 2007 TL vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undecided: 2007 TL vs TSX

I have been tossing and turning between the 2007 Acura TL and the TSX. I've done all the comparisons, read millions of reviews, compared/contrasted all the specs between the two, and am still not sure which is the best vehicle for me.

I have yet to test drive both cars which will happen this Saturday.

These are the cars I am considering (within my budget):

2007 Acura TSX with Navigation
2007 Acura TL (no navigation)

Which is truly the better luxury car?
Which is the better handler on the road?
Which just feels better/more comfortable inside?
Is the TSX a slow mule, or does it have enough pep under the hood?

I'm not drag racing, but I do want to know I have some performance there when I need it... and I do not want to compromise luxury either. I sat in both cars, and for some reason, with the seat back all the way, I always manage to bang my knee into the dash on the TL, but not the TSX.

Any objective opinions here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for luxury i would say the TL
i think the TL is more comfy inside
TSX isn't slow, but not as quick as the TL especially on the parkway
Old 03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
No more Infinitis for me

TL is nice
Old 03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
7th Gear

I think I'm leaning towards the TL because it's what I wanted originally, and then thought I couldn't afford it (until I started pricing and getting dealers to compete for my business).

My friend owns a 2006 TL and cannot wait to see it stolen. I think this is because he really wants a Lexus ES, and bought the TL out of spite after having a major blow-up argument with the Lexus dealer.

How is the interior room inside the TL as compared to the TSX?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
IM SLAMMED!!!!!!!!

your goingto have sme seriuos back pains driving the tsx alot trust me. the tl is much more luxury, has the extra kick of speed and power. i think the TL will suit you just fine. the tsx is very slow btw
Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
TL SL ML :)

I was looking at the ES350 as well, they didnt have the 44k Ultra Lux version I was looking for...so I went looking at Acura and realized the TL though much sportier, is a much better car for the money....GET THE TL
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Segalian
I think I'm leaning towards the TL because it's what I wanted originally, and then thought I couldn't afford it (until I started pricing and getting dealers to compete for my business).

My friend owns a 2006 TL and cannot wait to see it stolen. I think this is because he really wants a Lexus ES, and bought the TL out of spite after having a major blow-up argument with the Lexus dealer.

How is the interior room inside the TL as compared to the TSX?
huh? isnt it something like the difference between a civic and an accord? just go to the dealer and take it for a ride. you will see and feel the difference. had a tsx as a loaner i thought it was annoying, the amount of power and space.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Team Anthracite

get the TL... unless u track.. then go TSX =)
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i would said go for the TL accordingly to your age
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd go for the TL

I was in the same situation a fews years ago when I was deciding btw an 05 TL or an 05 TSX. I really wanted a luxury vehicle, which was a step up from my previous 03' Fully loaded Accord coupe. I test drove both the TL & TSX, but felt the luxury, solidness & security in the TL over the TSX. For some reason the TSX felt very cheap. However, the TSX might have better handling than the TL, for the TL tugs on the front wheel. In terms of power & performance, ofcourse the TL has the better end on this one, but the choice is yours. Long story short.....I went with the TL.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Race Director

Should've put this in off topic car talk section because of course more people will say TL. This is a TL section you know.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^I agree^^^

Anyhow,

Same decision for me in 05. I went with the TL because for a couple thousand more I got a more powerful and luxurous car. I'm sure over on the TSX forum they would tell you to get a TSX.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
i'd say go with a TL with navi as you may regret not getting it when you purchased the car. The TSX is more of a car which is meant to be a sorta crossover coupe sedan mix for the sporty enthuisast who wants a cheaper car. the TL is much more of a maturer car, being meant for luxury all around with the power needed to be sporty at at times as well.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by THTL
i would said go for the TL accordingly to your age
=) was i suppose to go with TSX ? =) only turning 20 lol
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have your friend sell you his 06 TL and your friend can get his lexus ES and both of you can be happy.

The Navi is a must have...Dont think i will ever get a car with out one.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Racer

For 25-27K, I would rather drive a 3.0L Accord than a four-banger TSX

If you can find a leftover 06 TL, that would be a tremendous value, and you could get it for the same 27K.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
04 NBP 6MT

I had to decide between a new TSX or slightly used TL. After driving the TL with V6 power, it was TL all the way!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Racer

TL sit in the two of them and u will see the diff
Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would rather have the TSX with nav over a TL without.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts

You need to drive both cars.
My opinion is not objective since I was leaning towards the TSX 6M before wife said to get an auto tranny... and I'm happy for her contribution to the decision (but still want a 6M...).
The TL is more luxury oriented, but I felt the TSX 6M was more responsive than the TL 5A. The TSX 5A felt slow and unresponsive compared to the 6M, so I would not have bought a 5A TSX. The TL, even 5A, is much faster and roomier inside than the TSX.
G/L.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
I would rather have the TSX with nav over a TL without.

My father has a 2004 TSX without Navi. It's a fun car to drive and (to respond to another post) I've never experienced any back pain in it, although the seats seem shallower than I'd prefer (not enough butt/leg space front to back). He and my mother took it to Florida for a week (via the Auto Train) instead of their 1999 RL or their 1996 Volvo 850. If I had the choice of those three for a trip, I'd normally think one would take the RL for comfort, but my father said that he wanted the one that was the fastest and most fun for those Florida Interstates and it's hard to disagree with that after my own 100-mph run across the Everglades in the TL in 2005.

The one downside of my father's TSX is the automatic transmission, but he wanted to be sure my mother could drive it. She can drive a manual if she must, but seldom does.

I'm biased because my TL has the Navi, but I think it's a central part of enjoying the TL as fully as possible, and I think the interior looks a LOT better with it. I would not be interested in a non-Navi TL now that I've had one for almost three years.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you crazy?
BUY THE TL!!!!!
(That's like, hmm... 3 series bmw loaded or standard 5 series)
Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

I was in this exact decision last year at exactly this time when I was looking at 06TSX vs 06TL...TSX may corner better, but its slow, small inside, too compact and its a 4cyl...

TL blows it away...
Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
This space taken.

Having owned both now, an '06 TSX 6MT and now an '05 TL w/ Navi, I'd say it all depends what you want.

Given the edict to get an automatic tranny car, there was no decision for me, I knew I didn't want the TSX in auto form. The 6MT is not, though, by any means, a dog. At least not since the '06 revision, which didn't add all that much power (10 hp or so when you account for ratings differences). However, getting back on point, I felt and feel that coupled with the automatic the TSX does seem slow, and the TL was a much better fit at that point.

As for luxury? - TL.

As for Handling? - In my opinion, the TSX handles better, but it should considering it is lighter and smaller. This isn't to say the TL handles poorly, as it doesn't, but I do believe the TSX is a better track car.

As for Space? The rear seat room in the TL is MUCH bigger than that of the TSX. There is a huge difference here, as well as the overall width of the vehicle.

If you want luxury, power, decent handling, and an automatic, I think you go with the TL. If you want a MT, good handling, a decent amount of luxury, and a smaller price... go with the TSX. Having never driven a TL w/ the 6MT, I can't comment on that, but I would imagine the handling is still not as good as the TSX (as hinted, mainly a product of the larger amount of power the TL is trying to route through its front wheels)
Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Jurisprudent
Having owned both now, an '06 TSX 6MT and now an '05 TL w/ Navi, I'd say it all depends what you want.

Given the edict to get an automatic tranny car, there was no decision for me, I knew I didn't want the TSX in auto form. The 6MT is not, though, by any means, a dog. At least not since the '06 revision, which didn't add all that much power (10 hp or so when you account for ratings differences). However, getting back on point, I felt and feel that coupled with the automatic the TSX does seem slow, and the TL was a much better fit at that point.

As for luxury? - TL.

As for Handling? - In my opinion, the TSX handles better, but it should considering it is lighter and smaller. This isn't to say the TL handles poorly, as it doesn't, but I do believe the TSX is a better track car.

As for Space? The rear seat room in the TL is MUCH bigger than that of the TSX. There is a huge difference here, as well as the overall width of the vehicle.

If you want luxury, power, decent handling, and an automatic, I think you go with the TL. If you want a MT, good handling, a decent amount of luxury, and a smaller price... go with the TSX. Having never driven a TL w/ the 6MT, I can't comment on that, but I would imagine the handling is still not as good as the TSX (as hinted, mainly a product of the larger amount of power the TL is trying to route through its front wheels)
i have to agree.

Test drove 6mt before getting 5at.. there is just too much torque for the front wheels.. plus i live in canada..

the second problem is...i'd say.. the TL is too quite.. and by the time u can hear the rev properly.. u are at like 4k rpm almost..

=)

u get the idea..

i was test driving the Type-S the other day... when i though it was only 3000 rpm... i looked down.. itz like 5k already! =)

but itz a beast though =)

good luck
Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced

I was in the same boat as you back in May. I was pretty much set on getting a 6MT TSX which at the time was hard to find.

I scheduled a test drive with the dealer and he basically let me take each car out with my son for as long as I wanted.

I drove everything except for the 6mt TSX but my thoughts about the TSX was it was somewhat small, definitely more nimble, lacked a lot of low end grunt and was a more of a screamer.

Once I got into the TL, the power was definitely more abundant and the car felt much much larger.

Then once I got into a 6MT and I was hooked.

After having it for a little while now, I still love to drive the car, but it's turning radius is large, larger than my Honda Pilot. And finding add on goodies is either non-existent or very expensive. Even in basic stock form (CAI and SS only), it is still a blast to drive.

I almost regret not getting something different for the 'tuner' aspect, but not having all this aftermarket stuff available has probably saved me from spending too much on the 'goodies'.

The test drive will tell the story. The two cars are so different, it'll be totally up to your wants and expectations on what you choose. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I had the same decision in 2006. I really thought I wanted the TSX when I made my
first trip to the Acura dealer. What swung me to the TL was:

- added performance of V6 (I have a 5-AT/Nav) with a relatively small impact on Fuel Economy- it's
worth the 2-4 MPG hit to me. The only way I would buy only buy a 6-speed
TSX personally.
- larger cabin
- DVD-audio sound
- a little smaller trunk, but the pass-through port seemed better for what
I carry plus I could still seat 4 using the passthru.
- more quiet at highway speeds
- better interior- I like the rolling cover over the cupholders, the
seats are more comfortable with the pockets in the back of the front
ones. My kids also like the HVAC vents for the rear.
- better controls (mostly sunroof comes to mind)
- nicer wheels (IMHO- I would have picked the A-spec wheels on TSX instead
of the 06 stockers)
- Tire Pressure Sensors
- other nicities like struts holding the hood up, LED lights, etc.

When I evaluated things, it became clear that the TL was the better
vehicle for my needs and the cost was close (factoring the wheels). I could
also bargain with the dealers easier as well on the TL as well.

I do think the TSX had better navigation and had the AUX input, but the 07
TL has those features as well as the blinking mirrors and lower fog lights.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Instructor

I have a 6MT TSX and love it. I have heard that TSX with AT are slow though.

TSX is definetely fun to drive, but not super fast. The suspension on it is actually stiffer than on Accord so the ride is not as soft as that of TL, but that's why it handles so good.

Best way to decide is to test drive both, and if you'll decide you want a TSX, get a 6MT.

MBA
Old 03-21-2007, 07:33 PM
8th Gear

My Vote goes for the TL
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out!.......buy the TL you won't regret it!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

I have been tossing and turning between the 2007 Acura TL and the TSX. I've done all the comparisons, read millions of reviews, compared/contrasted all the specs between the two, and am still not sure which is the best vehicle for me.

I'm not drag racing, but I do want to know I have some performance there when I need it... and I do not want to compromise luxury either. I sat in both cars, and for some reason, with the seat back all the way, I always manage to bang my knee into the dash on the TL, but not the TSX.

Any objective opinions here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

How tall are you? only asking because i am 6'2 and i felt pretty cramped in the tsx. For more comfort,luxury, and power (TL), for less comfort, luxury, and power (Tsx).
Simple Enough...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

I went for the TL 6MT. I didn't even look at the TSX. I knew it's going to be loud and low power and small. The TL is very quiet and smooth, and fast as ph#@k. lol

the tl is all around better car than the tsx.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

TSX, to me, is unrefined (in the interior at least). Items seem to be spewed onto the dashboard and center console without any thought. The TL has much better ergonomics and very nice lines on the inside (and out toO!!). TL is the better choice! GO TL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced

There's lots of reasons why the TL is more expensive than the TSX. Get the TL and you won't regret it.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Well i have an 06 tl and my girlfriend has a 06 tsx we bought out cars at the same time, personally i love the look of both of the cars, the tl seems to be built a little better and stronger, for example close the doors on the tl and it sounds solid then close the doors on a tsx and it sounds like a tin can. Also the tsx has some good power off the line but at highway speed it seems like it is hard to get up and go, as for the tl it goes all the time without struggle. The only thing i dislike about the TL is that the car kinda drifts and has a very loose feel, as for the tsx it has great cornering and a stiffer feel to the steering, i also noticed that there are hardly any rattles in the tsx, as for the tl there are many! Well here is my thought on both the cars i hope it helps with your decision!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

I've done that..

Hey!!

in the sprinf of 2006 i bought a brand new tsx(no navi)..invoice price 26,360..or so they said..al that having the Tl in my mind....I was really unhappy with the overall performance..yes..it is slow...especially on the highway....less space...really it's not even close...the only good thing about the tsx is that it handles really good...but all the others..oh did i mentioned cheaper sound system..?so....dont even bug your ind over that navi..the horsepower and overall feeling will make it up...and yeah ..the end of my story..I've traded my 06 Tsx(10k) for an 04(40k) tl Pearl dimond white both of em in a straight trade...and..I'll never regret it
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Instructor

The non-navi TL dash is just ugly. The only way I would purchase a TL is with navigation. The TSX, which I just bought, does a lot better job with the dash without navi. I had a TL as a loaner and I can definitly tell the car was made in the US.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by billabong05
The non-navi TL dash is just ugly. The only way I would purchase a TL is with navigation. The TSX, which I just bought, does a lot better job with the dash without navi. I had a TL as a loaner and I can definitly tell the car was made in the US.
I would'nt listen to that guy above to much I disagree,the TL is without question more luxurious then the TSX from the dash to the fucking cargo net in the trunk! (which the tsx doesn't come with) would you should look at are the pro's and cons of each vehicle.

TSX Pro's: 1-Voice recognition of ac and blue tooth as well as navigation
2-Rear folding seats
3- Adjustable front lumbar support
4-Two points of higher fuel economy
5-Better turning diameter
6-3 to 4 thousand dollars cheaper

TL Pro's: 1-Hands free blue tooth wireless link(even though no navi
2-Front power memory seat
3-Surround sound stereo system w/ subwoofer
4-Through trunk pass through (even though no fold down seat)
5- Six cylinders and 24 valves (tsx has 4 cylinders and 16 valves)
6- CC Displacement is 3210 (Tsx's is 2354)
7- Horse power is 258 and torque is 233 (Tsx's is 205 and 164
8- Tire pressure monitoring system included(beeps when air is low)
9- It has more room and is more luxurious.

It's a better car to pull up in if you want to take friends out or a chick on a first date if you want to impress her or them. Especially for a grown ass man, while the tsx is sort of a girls car in all honesty. I'm 25 and you see I chose a tl but what you may not know is that my tl does not have navi but to my friends girls notice that? No they say this is a beautiful car that's pretty roomy and fast as hell. I have a friend with a navi tsx and SHE same age as me let me check it out and it's just basically a baby TL. I love her navi and wish I had one at times (since I honestly do get lost a bit) but you'll get boared with the navi, you won't get bored with the speed and over all look of the TL.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aznbenz07
I would'nt listen to that guy above to much I disagree,the TL is without question more luxurious then the TSX from the dash to the fucking cargo net in the trunk!
Well opinions are like buttholes...everyone has one. When I had my TSX in for service and they gave me an '06 TL non-nav. I drove it for the day and everyone who sat in the TL liked it but the same comment always came up "it's nice but I like your TSX better". I would be retarded to say the TSX is more luxurious than the TL...it was designed to be. You can't go wrong with either choice. They are both great cars. Oh...btw the TSX also has the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) and memory seat.

The whole "the TSX is a girls car" doesn't make sense. I have seen more middle-aged woman driving TL's where i live. These cars appeal to many different people (age & sex).

The whole 4 banger issue is annoying. I don't see any problem with the power...but I also don't drive around trying to race or impress everyone.

Just my
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by aznbenz07
I would'nt listen to that guy above to much I disagree,the TL is without question more luxurious then the TSX from the dash to the fucking cargo net in the trunk! (which the tsx doesn't come with) would you should look at are the pro's and cons of each vehicle.

TSX Pro's: 1-Voice recognition of ac and blue tooth as well as navigation
2-Rear folding seats
3- Adjustable front lumbar support
4-Two points of higher fuel economy
5-Better turning diameter
6-3 to 4 thousand dollars cheaper

TL Pro's: 1-Hands free blue tooth wireless link(even though no navi
2-Front power memory seat
3-Surround sound stereo system w/ subwoofer
4-Through trunk pass through (even though no fold down seat)
5- Six cylinders and 24 valves (tsx has 4 cylinders and 16 valves)
6- CC Displacement is 3210 (Tsx's is 2354)
7- Horse power is 258 and torque is 233 (Tsx's is 205 and 164
8- Tire pressure monitoring system included(beeps when air is low)
9- It has more room and is more luxurious.

It's a better car to pull up in if you want to take friends out or a chick on a first date if you want to impress her or them. Especially for a grown ass man, while the tsx is sort of a girls car in all honesty. I'm 25 and you see I chose a tl but what you may not know is that my tl does not have navi but to my friends girls notice that? No they say this is a beautiful car that's pretty roomy and fast as hell. I have a friend with a navi tsx and SHE same age as me let me check it out and it's just basically a baby TL. I love her navi and wish I had one at times (since I honestly do get lost a bit) but you'll get boared with the navi, you won't get bored with the speed and over all look of the TL.

The 2007 TSX also has TPMS...

Quick Reply: Undecided: 2007 TL vs TSX