Ultra Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:33 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Ultra Filter?

Anybody hear or use one of these?

Looks interesting. What do you think?

ULTRA FILTER, lifetime direct replacement washable oil filter, designed from 6061 T6 billet aluminum, this housing has a 1500 lb crush rate. The washable filter is a deep pleated, duplex woven, 35 micron surgical T304 stainless steel filter for superior washablity. A self sufficient, environmentally friendly oil filter. That not only creates more horsepower, but extends oil change intervals from 3000 to 7000 miles. With all of todays aftermarket performance parts, Consumers should not forget about the most vital part of the engine, “the oil filter”. This is the lifeline of your engine. Adding performance parts to your vehicles engine creates more pressure in the oil filter, this causing your oil filter to swell and compress, damaging oil seals and putting large stress figures on your oil pump. Average HP gains are 5-6. Also with the engine running more efficient, you should see an average of 1-2 mpg. ULTRA FILTER, filters your oil an absolute 35 micron with one pass, utilizing our “quad flow technology”. With an average install time of 5-10 minutes this kit comes complete with everything you need to do the install. All filters carry a complete lifetime warranty and are good forever. This Filter is also transferable to any vehicle by changing the main insert. This insert is free of charge from the manufacture. ULTRA FILTER is truly the last oil filter you will ever buy!

ULTRA FILTERs revolutionary design is made with T304 stainless steel media therefore allowing it to be reusable and cleanable. Unlike paper filters, the Billet aluminum exterior gives a polished appearance to your motor.

Most paper filters only filter an average of 50-75 micron particles. ULTRA FILTER will stop anything to an absolute 35 micron. Remember, white blood cells are 25 micron.

Paper filters have a “Bypass” that opens at 12 lbs of pressure. Most motors idle at 11lbs of pressure. At 12 lbs, the bypass opens and filtering stops. All of the dirt and metals are then sent back into your motor. Paper filters only filter 10-20% of their actual life.

With ULTRA FILTER, oil changes can be extended to every 7,000 miles. This will save you time, energy and, most importantly, money.
Ultra Filter
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
holy crap 100 bucks? i think the most i'd do is just put a magnet on my filter
Old 04-28-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not using one, that's all you need to know:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=6;t=002893
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Michael Wan
I'm not using one, that's all you need to know:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=6;t=002893
the man has spoken.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
35 micron?
Amzoil says that there filter get anything down to .2 micron! Yes 2 tenths of a stinken micron. The cost is 12 bucks and some change. It lasts for 25k miles. Unless you put on the two filter add-on they offer. Then it can go for 250k. I know I know. I am just telling you what they say. Go look for yourself.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:52 PM

To elaborate:

Most paper filters only filter an average of 50-75 micron particles. ULTRA FILTER will stop anything to an absolute 35 micron.
Wow, this is a new discovery.

There are two types of classifications for oil filtration. Nominal, and absolute. Nominal is referred to as Beta 2, and Absolute is defined as Beta 75. To translate the Beta values into a % efficiency rating, take the beta value, subtract 1, and divide by the Beta Value itself.

Examples: Beta 2= (2-1)/2= 50%. Beta 75= (75-1)/75= 98.67%

Nearly all full-flow, spin-on oil filters on the market today carry an absolute efficiency rating for all particles > 40 microns. Thus, the statement generated by “Ultra Filter” and their representatives is false with regards to filters only filtering down to 50-75 microns.

My recollection is that the Mobil 1 EP, Amsoil Nanotech, and Purolator PureOne Oil Filters all have absolute efficiency ratings for particles > 15 microns. Napa Gold/Wix filters carry a nominal efficiency rating at 15 microns, if my memory is correct. The Amsoil may’ve had even higher efficiency ratings but I do not recall the exact ratings.

Bypass valve pressures are largely dependent on the application. VW/Audi cars may require a filter with > 25 psi bypass pressure setting, while a Honda may only require 10 psi (just a number for discussion). I do not recall the exact pressure specs for the TL. One of the most restrictive filters, the Purolator PureOne, was tested by someone whom I knew, using a pressure gauge, did not even come close to reaching its bypass valve opening upon startup. This was with 20W50 oil in a New England Winter with a filter that was run for > 9,000 miles.

Bypass Oil filters are a complete overkill for passenger cars and even diesel engines in light-trucks. The key is to use a filter with an ability to filter < 25 microns at all times, and to choose a filter with solid construction, which most do.

Mike
Old 04-29-2006, 12:04 AM
One on the right for me

Michael, I know you are not a fan of the filters I use, but what type of filtration does the Pennzoil/Performance Max filter give you?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:13 AM

I think the Pennzoil filters are still similar to the FRAM Extra Guard design, but I'm not familiar with the efficiency ratings with FRAMs, as they tend to test with single-pass ratings as opposed to the more common and more realistic multi-pass ratings. I can check for you though. The Quaker State filters recently switched suppliers for the better, but I don't think that has happened with the Pennzoil ones.

The FRAM Extra Guard filters are generally okay though their construction is not top-tier for their premium price. I don't see any problems with running one for 5000 miles, its just that there are better filters for the money.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Pennzoil filters are still similar to the FRAM Extra Guard design, but I'm not familiar with the efficiency ratings with FRAMs, as they tend to test with single-pass ratings as opposed to the more common and more realistic multi-pass ratings. I can check for you though. The Quaker State filters recently switched suppliers for the better, but I don't think that has happened with the Pennzoil ones.

The FRAM Extra Guard filters are generally okay though their construction is not top-tier for their premium price. I don't see any problems with running one for 5000 miles, its just that there are better filters for the money.
FYI Michael, the Pennzoil oil filters are from Fram's Defense line (A price oriented product) that generally has less filtration media then Fram's regular oil filter line.

As far as cleanable oil filter, they do have a nice speech but proof is in the pudding....

Had a customer used a similar product about 5 years ago on their 5 diesel rigs equipped with Detroit Diesel Series 60. The product was made by PureCycle oil filters and consted of a stainless steel mesh. I had reccomended to them that they run oil analysis on all their rigs using those filters as previous laboratory analysis showed that these filters would leave their engines unprotected.

They did not follow my suggestions and 6 months later had all 5 engines failed (2 of them were not even rebuildable, and the other 3 needed more then $15,000 in repairs). When they tried to claim their loss with the manufacturer, they were told that Purecycle was Chapter 11!

I find it quite a shocker that people are willing to believe anything today (don't we elect politicians on marketing promises that never see the light?)

Have a good day

frenchnew
Old 05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm... learned something new about filters reading this....

Leedogg, thanks for the find!!! Always good to see someone finding alternate ideas for our cars... You never know when one of the ideas is going to be a gold mine....
Old 05-01-2006, 02:04 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova
Hmm... learned something new about filters reading this....

Leedogg, thanks for the find!!! Always good to see someone finding alternate ideas for our cars... You never know when one of the ideas is going to be a gold mine....
or snake oil although I'm more likely to trust a filter like this rather than that fitch fuel catalyst...

One of these days, I'll consolidate all these little gadgets which theoretically will boost both our hp and mpg +++

I like to bounce things around here first though. Always learn something
Old 05-01-2006, 05:07 PM

frenchnew,

I haven't physically compared a Fram Extra Guard filter with its private label counterpart, though I wouldn't surprised if the media contained in the private label product is of a lesser quality.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As soon as you start seeing a claim of improved mileage on an aftermarket product, as a general rule of thumb, suspect "snake oil." If it were this easy for 1-2 mpg in a passenger car, the manufacturers would already be doing it.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That not only creates more horsepower,...
the first clue this thing was bs...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
frenchnew,

I haven't physically compared a Fram Extra Guard filter with its private label counterpart, though I wouldn't surprised if the media contained in the private label product is of a lesser quality.
I did cut a few last year and compared it to their regular series up here in Canada.

I did notice that their Defense line and Pennzoil branded had less filtration media in them then their regular Fram branded filters.

As far as having a different media, I was not equipped properly to evaluate the performance of the filtration media itself (I do not have easy access to laboratory equipment and would have to send it to my employer's laboratory in the USA for analysis).

Since this was started as a personal investigation, I never submitted samples for further analysis as I have not been a fan of Fram products since 1981 and what I did see in those samples of Defense and Pennzoil branded continue to re-enforce my convictions to stear clear away from them when I can get a better performing product for the same price.

I will not even accept the Honda oil filter (Fram made "has made in Canada printed on them") to be installed on my car even if it would be provided for free.

Best regards

frenchnew