3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Type-S worth it? Is manual much faster? Any high-mileage mechanical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
I got my comp-tech for 500, j pipe for 400 and test pipe for 65 = 965. Meth 300, S/C 3k = 4,235. There are all of these componats readily available in the BM. Even a xlr8 or ATLP you can get for 700-900 = around 4,500 for the set up I mentioned before.

I do not know why you are arguing, OBVIOUSLY you own a TL-S and are upset about this bashing. If you read all of my posts you will see I like it better than the base, but it's not worth the ten grand more to me. And even with the base and the 5k of upgrades it will be ALOT faster then a TL-S. It all depends on everyone situation, I work hard for my money.

Last edited by AckTL05; 01-31-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get custom exhaust from a race shop for much less than a grand. It is really absurd how much money is dumped into name brand exhaust.

Last edited by Bender; 01-31-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Just like the Navi argument...

It is always better to have something you don't need vs needing something you don't have. That's all.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Instructor

pick up a type-s already theres no arguing about it. its a no brainer
Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
so you decide yet???
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know why none of you really like the 5AT. I own the 5AT with ATLP and it's great! I don't see how the 6 Speed is so much better. I've had NO problems with the tranny and I have 105K. Replaced transmission fluid once. Besides the fun factor of shifting. My base TL looks better than any Type S around here. But of course like others said. That took time. I'd say get the type S if you got the extra cash and you want some extra features. Not many significant IMO, but still the better buy. I love my base. Doesnt seem to basic to me.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
It doesnt matter if you have a base model with $50,000 worth of mods its STILL A BASE MODEL. Get the Type S then you wont have to live every day regretting your decision on buying the base model.

James
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AckTL05
I do not know why you are arguing, OBVIOUSLY you own a TL-S and are upset about this bashing.
Not even a little upset. I've driven both. The Type S is better. That's all. 10k Better? no. Another made up dollar amount.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Call your dealer or go on the website and you will see that the changes/upgrades to a TL-S are much more than tail lights, etc. If you have a little extra cash I'd say go Type-S it will hold it's value more in the future being that a vin # pulls up a real Type-S which is more rare. You will regret not doing so...I did, traded an 05 base for a Type-S which I have LOVED from day one.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Same here... traded in my '06 6MT w/ navi for an '08 Type-S auto (for a host of reasons). It's an upgrade.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

They tell you that it is rare so that you pay more, you have successfully been suckered to the trick of the trade. I am a marketing major and work for a marketing firm, and I will tell you that trade in will be the same if you have a TYPE-s with auto, stick, the rare RED, etc. That is how they make money, I too have myself a RARE BASE, but when I went to trade it in at the dealer back in 06 for something else EVEN when the TYPE-s wasn't out, the trade in was garbage. I went in looking at a 'rare white 6 spd on black TL', yet when I went to trade my rare 6 spd in, it wasn't rare to them anymore. I see all of your points, but really its all about what everyone owns, is the best. I guess the 03 type s, that goes for less than 10 grand now is rare too right? You have to realize they made thousands of TYPE s's, not as many as BASEs, but enough to make them findable.

I know most of you are going to say this next: Well I was looking for a TYPE s online and couldn't find one. THATS because a used KIA that is only 1-2 years old would be rare too!!! Look back in two-three years and you will find a lot of used TYPE s's .These things were all over the place when I was looking at them new. You guys have nice cars, don't get me wrong. Just don't be in here trying to make us BASE owners sad because you feel you have a car that you can pull up to the red carpets with, and we can't.

Last edited by AckTL05; 02-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Safety Car

They tell you that it is rare so that you pay more, you have successfully been suckered to the trick of the trade. I am a marketing major and work for a marketing firm, and I will tell you that trade in will be the same if you have a TYPE-s with auto, stick, the rare RED, etc. That is how they make money, I too have myself a RARE BASE, but when I went to trade it in at the dealer back in 06 for something else EVEN when the TYPE-s wasn't out, the trade in was garbage. I went in looking at a 'rare white 6 spd on black TL', yet when I went to trade my rare 6 spd in, it wasn't rare to them anymore. I see all of your points, but really its all about what everyone owns, is the best. I guess the 03 type s, that goes for less than 10 grand now is rare too right? You have to realize they made thousands of TYPE s's, not as many as BASEs, but enough to make them findable.

I know most of you are going to say this next: Well I was looking for a TYPE s online and couldn't find one. THATS because a used KIA that is only 1-2 years old would be rare too!!! Look back in two-three years and you will find a lot of used TYPE s's .These things were all over the place when I was looking at them new. You guys have nice cars, don't get me wrong. Just don't be in here trying to make us BASE owners sad because you feel you have a car that you can pull up to the red carpets with, and we can't.
I agree with most of the stuff your saying and understand it all however I do think in this case the Type S's can be pretty tough to find. I mean think about it, if you go on autotrader.com there are never more than a handful of Type S's and thats what I see here in the Chicagoland area one of the biggest cities in the U.S. So out of those handful, how many have the tranny you want, color, and then out of those maybe its been in an accident etc etc. It can really be tough to find the one you want in the condition you want.

Also, if they arent rare then tell me why I have yet to ever seen another KBP TL Type S like mine driving on the street :-)
On my 15 mile trip to the store this morning I counted 0 type S's while driving but passed literally 13 or so base TL's. Thats gotta say something!
I do see what your sayin though.

James
Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

does anyone know of any websites for tl type s performance parts....i just got mine and cant find anything
Old 02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

I agree they are much more rare in my neck of the woods too and I'm in the Chicagoland burbs...I didn't need a sales or marketing guy to tell me that. I went looking for mine....lost out on 2 different ones that were sold before I could make my way to the dealerships...yet they had parking lots full of base models and tried selling me those. After I bought my NBP Type-S even my wife, who's obviously not as into cars as I am, said she does not see that many Type-S models yet there are TONS of base models. We are not talking down to base model owners, however, making a few Type-S aesthetic modifications falls short of a true Type-S. We have a different front end, bigger engine, I believe a different intake system, two-toned seats, red interior lighting, paddle shifters & Nav standard, quad exhaust, Brembo brakes, different wheels, rear lights & better suspension to name a few (links below). It is fun to mod and do all that yourself but it still doesn't make it a Type-S. We also aren't saying the Type-S is "red carpet worthy" while the base is not, nor are we saying that a moded base couldn't be faster than a moded Type-S but the differences are definitely there, definitely noticeable and some are willing to pay for that because they want those items not because a sales guy or marketing group said so. Trading my 05 base for the 08 Type-S meant a $50 difference in my payment and adding a year to my loan…not a big deal and I was MUCH happier but of course we're all have the freedom to purchase whatever.

http://www.insideline.com/acura/tl/2...tl-type-s.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2008-a...-32574771.html
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Racer

As a marketing major, I am sure you know that there a lot of variables that go into determining price. Location, trim, condition, market etc. One Type S with 13000 miles in Tucson may be 3k less than the same car in Raleigh.Everyone has there own opinions on what is worth spending. I got my Type S for a very good price, better than some low mile bases at the time. A 5 thousand dollar premium is about the maximum I would pay for a Type S. Someone elses max could be completely different.

So arguing which one is better is moot. It's a friggin opinion.

And this isn't a pissing contest between Type S owners and non. I don't look down at base owners. You sir are severely mistaken.

Last edited by Johnny_b; 02-02-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
It doesnt matter if you have a base model with $50,000 worth of mods its STILL A BASE MODEL. Get the Type S then you wont have to live every day regretting your decision on buying the base model.

James
Umm. I don't regret getting the "base" at all. It was in my price range at the time and I have had no extreme problems. I have no third gear problems since it's 5AT. Opinion. And we can see which opinion is more biased. I still don't see why anyone would regret the BASE. I see nothing bad about it.
Unless you don't have the Navigation.

My so-called "BASE" is fantastic. The Type S has just a little more bells and whistles.. Nothing to me that adds another 5K... I'd just get an IS350 if I was going to get a Type S. Faster has everything the Type S has and 305HP something the newer TL's should feel ashamed about.

It's all opinions and a person's price point compared to another's, which may be higher. I am not trying to argue here. It's just one person's view is going to be very different from another. Me of course I would of liked the Type S, but it wasn't available in my area and the mods on my car make it pretty equivalent to the Type S and I put in probably only $2,000. So none of this so-called regretting here. Happy camper.

Last edited by RJNN TL; 02-02-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
let's say you're cruising w/ your girl in your base TL and pull up to a light. you look over at the car next to you and it's her ex-bf in a TL-S he revs, you rev and you guys go he pulls on you and beats you to the next red light. now at the light, your girl jumps out and jumps in his car

do you want this to happen to you? do you?
uhh...yeah..because i would know in that instant that she's a shallow bi$&^@ch and find a better g/f ;-)
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Originally Posted by candrews
uhh...yeah..because i would know in that instant that she's a shallow bi$&^@ch and find a better g/f ;-)
I think you know he was kidding but also we can all keep in mind...it's all in the driver not the car.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
I think you know he was kidding but also we can all keep in mind...it's all in the driver not the car.
he..he..of course (and size DOES matter ;-)
Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Hahaha. Good one candrews!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RJNN TL
Umm. I don't regret getting the "base" at all. It was in my price range at the time and I have had no extreme problems. I have no third gear problems since it's 5AT. Opinion. And we can see which opinion is more biased. I still don't see why anyone would regret the BASE. I see nothing bad about it.
Unless you don't have the Navigation.

My so-called "BASE" is fantastic. The Type S has just a little more bells and whistles.. Nothing to me that adds another 5K... I'd just get an IS350 if I was going to get a Type S. Faster has everything the Type S has and 305HP something the newer TL's should feel ashamed about.

It's all opinions and a person's price point compared to another's, which may be higher. I am not trying to argue here. It's just one person's view is going to be very different from another. Me of course I would of liked the Type S, but it wasn't available in my area and the mods on my car make it pretty equivalent to the Type S and I put in probably only $2,000. So none of this so-called regretting here. Happy camper.
I was not talking to you specifically (atleast I dont think I was?!?) Anyway, my point is if there is a person questioning whether they should get a Type S or a base model (the original poster), then you know deep down in there mind obviously the better of the two would be more desireable.
I went through this exact situation and ended up buying an 07 base nav after knowing very well that there are Type S's out there. Sure enough I jumped the gun and got the base model. Ev ery single day I kicked myself and only thought about Type S's. Anyway, a few months later and I ended up in a Type S with zero regrets and no more thinking about Type S's :-)

Please dont take it the wrong way as all TL's are great cars I know I have owned both models. Im just trying to save someone some money and hassle buy buying the car they might not want.

James
Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 PM

I was not talking to you specifically (atleast I dont think I was?!?) Anyway, my point is if there is a person questioning whether they should get a Type S or a base model (the original poster), then you know deep down in there mind obviously the better of the two would be more desireable.
I went through this exact situation and ended up buying an 07 base nav after knowing very well that there are Type S's out there. Sure enough I jumped the gun and got the base model. Ev ery single day I kicked myself and only thought about Type S's. Anyway, a few months later and I ended up in a Type S with zero regrets and no more thinking about Type S's :-)

Please dont take it the wrong way as all TL's are great cars I know I have owned both models. Im just trying to save someone some money and hassle buy buying the car they might not want.

James
OH ahaha. I thought you were talking to me. Sorry bout that! :P
I think it's nice though that you're helping him out.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These types of discussions always wind up out of control.
Only you know what you want, and what's important to you.
The facts are the "s" will cost you more money down the road due to higher insurance rates if you are a youngster, higher price for replacement brakes, possibly higher cost for fuel, etc. etc.
Do you have a vanity problem?..if so get the "S"
Are you okay with a more common car? get the base
What about ride roughness (is that a word)? You like feeling every hole in the road, or a slightly softer ride?
Same goes with auto vs manual...only you know what suits you and your driving conditions.
Neither car is what would be classed as a fast car..so take your pick
You can't go wrong if you pick the one you really want as they are both excellent cars
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Instructor

NO pressure just pick a car that would suite you best... If you have the extra cash might as well go for the TOP OF THE LINE either car will do you right GLW picking one
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Happy Holidays!

This is too extreme of a comparison but it's just for laughs...

Try telling an EVO owner that they drive a Lancer. They'll flip! LOL. I've seen the reaction. Classic.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

The manual has a good 20-30 more whp IIRC and much more fun.
Quote from ALlM5
Did you read this somewhere? Having owned an "05 6M/T, and an "07 TL-S 5 A/T, IMO the 20-30 hp is exaggerated, and maybe that was the intention.

The 6 M/T definitely feels stronger, but maybe 5-10 hp max. Fun factor is for real, unless you experience much traffic....and it seems as though you can't avoid it anywhere you go.

The January issue of Road & Track offers substantial information when comparing the types of transmissions esp:paddle vs. manual. Under some conditions, the author actually found the paddles to be the quicker choice.

I find my Type S hits my "sweet spot". It draws sooo much attention, especially the wheels. The red background on the interior lights is awesome.
It was worth the extra money to me

'07 TL-S CBP 5 A/T
FUJITA F5 CAI
PROGRESS RSB
P2R THROTTLE BODY SPACER
BRAILLE BATTERY
V1 ON THE LOOKOUT
Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

I am learning that modding our cars is not very easy. There just isn't that much support out there. This is why I am glad I got a TL-S. It's pretty nice how it comes and if you want you can add your personal touch. If I started with a base model I am sure I would not have been satisfied. Get a TL-S. Even one with higher mileage is worth it.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Does the sag of the leather in this picture look normal?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes. It means that they must have used their back seat.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Yes. It means that they must have used their back seat.

It just seems rather excessive; the wear on bottom near the door on the passenger side.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
LOL...he says it like the difference between the base and typeS is the same as the difference between a 328i and an M3...ill take a Base model with $50k put into it any day over a typeS, but I def. think you should get the TypeS unless you are going SC or change the suspension, etc.

James
Old 02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

There are some good deals to be found on base models. Found an '05 w/ clean title and only 50k miles for $12.5k. Found a few other good deals for slightly more w/ lower mileage... Hard to argue with those!

If I can find a Type-S for under 20 I'll be golden though.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Pro

I do think that the typeS is more rare but I see about 5 a week...I think that part of the reason is is more rare than a base is because it was only available 07-8 while the base has been out since 04
I agree with most of the stuff your saying and understand it all however I do think in this case the Type S's can be pretty tough to find. I mean think about it, if you go on autotrader.com there are never more than a handful of Type S's and thats what I see here in the Chicagoland area one of the biggest cities in the U.S. So out of those handful, how many have the tranny you want, color, and then out of those maybe its been in an accident etc etc. It can really be tough to find the one you want in the condition you want.

Also, if they arent rare then tell me why I have yet to ever seen another KBP TL Type S like mine driving on the street :-)
On my 15 mile trip to the store this morning I counted 0 type S's while driving but passed literally 13 or so base TL's. Thats gotta say something!
I do see what your sayin though.

James
Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Not just that. It is rare, but what is rare when they made 50k type-s compared to 200k base cars, figuratively speaking. I think its more rare to find a base 6 spd with nav over any type - s, they made i think 1:200 6 spd base. An evo is rare to a lancer, but I still see them ALL over the place. Anyway, buy the base for 12.5 and spend about 5k to PAUL for a complete built 3.6 engine that will push 306 whp and -0- miles. :two cents:

Since you are buying used and the cost to find a type-s over a base would be 5k or less, go with the type-s, if you do not plan on moding the car. Since you said that there really is nothing in a type s that stands out to you, why not just get the base and spend ~500-700 on a intake and j pipe to be just as fast or faster than the S.

Last edited by AckTL05; 02-09-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Driver Mod

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny_b
Yes it is worth it. No problems that I am aware of. So, 6MT Type S. All day. I have 3rd gear notchiness in my 07 Type S which gets annoying.
Yeah, me too. Wzup wit that ?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AtlM5
LOL...he says it like the difference between the base and typeS is the same as the difference between a 328i and an M3...ill take a Base model with $50k put into it any day over a typeS, but I def. think you should get the TypeS unless you are going SC or change the suspension, etc.
I know what your getting at and I agree, but when you think about it it really is just like a 328i to a M3. Just like any car really that has a high end version others for example, C6 base to C6 Z06, Lexus IS350 to ISF, Jeep Grand Cherokee to the Jeep GC SRT8. All have the exact same changes different wheels, suspension, engine, interior changes, exterior changes etc etc. Isnt that just like the Type S is to the base?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

I know what your getting at and I agree, but when you think about it it really is just like a 328i to a M3. Just like any car really that has a high end version others for example, C6 base to C6 Z06, Lexus IS350 to ISF, Jeep Grand Cherokee to the Jeep GC SRT8. All have the exact same changes different wheels, suspension, engine, interior changes, exterior changes etc etc. Isnt that just like the Type S is to the base?
I see what your saying but to me the base to the s is all of the same interior, just better and so on. I mean a civic to an SI would be a better comparison. An EVO to a lancer is a 100% different car, its almost double(+) the cost as well. It is night and day comparing an EVO - Lancer, SRT 8 JEEP - Cherokee, WRX to Impreza, as price reflects. The S new is only ~5k depending on options, all which are cosmetic and sporty(rims, suspension, 28hp, spoiler, which to some is not worth the 5k.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Pro

Get the base model, it prevents STD's! CuZ WHeN DeY C DA TYPE-S RoLL Up You AiNT GeTTIN LaId Cuz!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Pro

I honestly can't believe that you just said that. The difference between the base and typeS is not even similar to the diff. between a 328 and 335 or is250 to 350...they may all have the same changes, but it's the magnitude of the change that is important. All of the changes to the typeS can be added or made better than to the base model with less money than the extra cost of the typeS. for under 4k I could easily have a base tl that looks nicer, is faster, and corners better than a typeS with only DIY boltons. Try making a 328i better than an M3 for $4k.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Happy Holidays!

I'll add the same upgrades to a Type S that you plan on adding to a base TL. You'll never catch up. It will be an infinite cycle. haha.

Quick Reply: Is Type-S worth it? Is manual much faster? Any high-mileage mechanical problems?