3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Type-S worth it? Is manual much faster? Any high-mileage mechanical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
do you want this to happen to you? do you? do you want this to happen to you? do you? do you want this to happen to you? do you? do you want this to happen to you? do you? DO YOU?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sg81
let's say you're cruising w/ your girl in your base tl and pull up to a light. You look over at the car next to you and it's her ex-bf in a tl-s He revs, you rev and you guys go He pulls on you and beats you to the next red light. Now at the light, your girl jumps out and jumps in his car

Do you want this to happen to you? Do you?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Is the TYPE S faster? .. YES... is it much faster? ... that's very subjective and I think No. Make your decision based on finances.. thats all I'm going to say. I would've bought the TYPE S if it was out in 06 or if I was in the market for one now.. but that's cuz my finances would permit doing so. Most people who say otherwise are just lying or justifying to make themselves feel better why they couldn't get the TYPE S.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Racer

I agree 100% with Elegant Type S. Think smart and be responsible and go with what is financially stable for you. Of course a Type S is better than a base but when I had to decide on mine, i had to go with what was going to be affordable than what I wanted. The only thing I would have liked was the bigger engine but with bigger engine came bigger bills for gas. I still dream about getting a Type S but right now I am happy with my base TL because it's 6MT.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Instructor

If you looking for the fastest, then 6spd type s is the way to go. If not then base 6spd will do that. I heard that Base 6spd is quicker than auto Type S. Dont know if thats true, but i see how its possible. But for me 5k extra is not worth it for a bigger engine and different wheels. But its just me.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by t3ch
Hi all, I can't seem to find many answers for a few questions I have. I'm sure they've been asked before; pardon the redundancy. My search skills apparently fail.

I'd love to have a type-s, but the choice seems to be a regular TL with mileage as low as 30k for 17-18k, or a type-s for 21k-24k with 60k+. I love the two-tone interior and blue color available on them, but is it really worth spending an extra $5k? I might be missing something looking at the spec sheet. An extra $100/m is a pretty significant difference.

The auto I test drove suffered from a lack of low-end torque. Does the manual version correct this any or is it inherent in TL's?

Are there any common prolems once TL's get up in mileage? I've read about the 3rd gear problem on the manuals but haven't come across anything else.

Thanks for any input.
Mine is a 5AT and has plenty of low end grunt....way more than I expected.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AckTL05
It is defiantly not worth it 5 grand for 28 more HP and some aesthetics. You can put 3 grand in the base and make it much more nicer than the TL-s. Plus, you cannot s/c a TL-s . Yes navi is standard on the TL-s, but you still pay for it. The price of a TL-s is the same price as a base with all the TL-s options. Plus, the a-spec kit for the TL-s is fugly IMO. Either or you will not be unsatisfied with an ACURA TL.
Why can you not S/C a TL-S? The engine is basically the same.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

IMHO, if you are not into speed, and just want a nice daily driver and don't mind the common car and colors, then get the regular TL. I loved my 06 WDP. But when I sold it for my 350Z, and missed it, I wanted back and came across 3 TL-S's at the dealer and one in this color, I couldn't pass it up. I have always loved this color and wanted one. Even if it's a 5AT, I didn't buy this car to race like I did my 350z so I don't also care about only 20 extra HP. I liked the fact that this car comes loaded, has a white/black interior, and different cosmetic changes and the color, so that is why I like the TL-S.

Mine was 27k CPO used with 31k miles 3-4 months ago. It was super clean, still smells new, and looked it. Well worth the extra money.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Type S is worth the extra money. It's not just appearance and 28 more horsepower. The interior is much nicer, the navigation is standard, better brakes (Brembo in the front), the suspension is completly different than a base TL, the auto trans is a modified version of the RL's tranny, and plenty of other things. The sheetmetal might look the same, but there are significant differences to a regular TL.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy one with 60k miles on it already. That is high mileage for a 2007 or 2008. You should be able to find one with lower miles.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

I test drove the base TL again tonight (auto) and also a Type-S (manual). I must say, the TL has a sweetass transmission in the manual. One of the smoothest clutches I've had the pleasure to work with.

Having said that, while I love the way the TL looks on the in/outside, as well as the rear-view camera and extra power, I'm really not a fan of how it rode. The steering felt much stiffer and I preferred the drive of the base model. I see nothing in the type-s worth an extra $150/m.

I also drove a Mercedes C300, which had a much nicer ride than the TL and the auto-manual was much more useful, but I still prefer the TL.

The Pontiac GTO was also on my list and I loved it. I'm now deciding between the power/fun factor of the GTO vs the space and luxury/features of the TL base.

Originally Posted by BradE
That said, I'm not sure I'd buy one with 60k miles on it already. That is high mileage for a 2007 or 2008. You should be able to find one with lower miles.
Yes, for $6,000 extra. I refuse to have a $500/m monthly payment for a car, that's ridiculous. Others disagree, and they are more than welcome to.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
well this guy sees where I am coming from. i was not justifying how my base is better than the Type - S. I was simply stating that it was not available in 05 and my base in 05 was the same price as the tl-s now. i obviously would have purchased the S but i was not available. You all can say how its much nicer, standard brembo's and navigation but in reality my base has those options. I put a back up camera for 250 and which in turn gave me the option that I can use a video source on my navigation screen. SO, I would have purchased the TYPE-S, BUT I would never try and sell my car and spend 5-7 grand more for the upgrade. There is nothing appealing to me to spend 5-7 grand that my base TL does not have. Everyone has their own opinions, and thats fine.

BTW if its speed, the J pipe for 400 can make you just as fast, if not faster then a TL-S. i personally raced one and it was neck and neck up until I hit third and it pulled SLOWLY away.

Last edited by AckTL05; 01-30-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Pro

That pontiac gto 6.0 is a monster.I don't know about the long haul, but it has a massive engine.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
1. uhm ur smoking crack if you think that an auto TL has lack of low end torque. The torque curve on that motor is flatter than flat. add to that the fact that the torque converter acts as a torque multiplier it should feel pretty solid off of the line
2. I can almost state with certainty that the auto TL can outshift 99% of the people on this board. A lot of people like to talk about how they are expert shifters but they are not......
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
1. uhm ur smoking crack if you think that an auto TL has lack of low end torque. The torque curve on that motor is flatter than flat. add to that the fact that the torque converter acts as a torque multiplier it should feel pretty solid off of the line
2. I can almost state with certainty that the auto TL can outshift 99% of the people on this board. A lot of people like to talk about how they are expert shifters but they are not......
1. I am not smoking crack, and I'm certainly not the first person to say it lacks some lowend torque. Pedal to the floor it takes a second to get going, then there's a push back into the seat as the car starts taking off. I've test driven 3 so far and I've pushed each of them on strips of road, so I think I've assessed them fairly. Like I said, I've driven sports cars my entire life, so I expect a bit more from 270hp.

2. It's not a fair comparison because the manual I drove was the type-s, but I find it much easier to drive faster in it than the auto. I'd be curious to drive a type-s auto or base manual to get a better feel for it.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

well this guy sees where I am coming from. i was not justifying how my base is better than the Type - S. I was simply stating that it was not available in 05 and my base in 05 was the same price as the tl-s now. i obviously would have purchased the S but i was not available. You all can say how its much nicer, standard brembo's and navigation but in reality my base has those options. I put a back up camera for 250 and which in turn gave me the option that I can use a video source on my navigation screen. SO, I would have purchased the TYPE-S, BUT I would never try and sell my car and spend 5-7 grand more for the upgrade. There is nothing appealing to me to spend 5-7 grand that my base TL does not have. Everyone has their own opinions, and thats fine.

BTW if its speed, the J pipe for 400 can make you just as fast, if not faster then a TL-S. i personally raced one and it was neck and neck up until I hit third and it pulled SLOWLY away.
Good to know about the J-pipe. I don't want to do any massive modding on the TL, but if throwing an inexpensive part or two on gets some quick and easy performance, I'm all for it.

And yes, definitely, I'm glad I test drove the TL locally before driving out 2 hours to get the one I wanted. Just not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted by Bender
That pontiac gto 6.0 is a monster.I don't know about the long haul, but it has a massive engine.
It was a monster, my GF all "how you doin?" when we were done test-driving it. It was pretty loud with the stock exhaust, the ones I'm looking at have loudmouth modifications... Man, I think I'd wet myself every time I drove. I wasn't familiar with how much I could push it, but even just barely easing into the gas it was ridiculously fast and stuck on the road. Great fun.

Thus my dilemma.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 AM
5th Gear

I went from the 2005 6MT to the 2008 Type-S 6MT, and there is a huge difference in the power, and the handling of the car, not to mention the Type-S just looks a lot better. I hesitated going with the S because of the $$$, and reviews I read about the small amount of power difference from the 3.2 to the 3.5, but it feels like a completely different car, and was worth the upgrade.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
5th Gear

I had the transmission rebuilt on my '08 Type-S MT because of the 3rd gear issue. The Acura TSB (b08-018)for this covers the following models:
2003 3.2CL with M/T – ALL
2002–06 RSX with 6-Speed M/T – ALL
2004–07 TL with M/T – ALL
2008 TL with M/T – From VIN 19UUA75..8A000001 thru 19UUA75..8A029085
Old 01-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 08 base and I've wondered if I regretted not buying the Type-S also. But, if you are concerned about cash and your resale value, consider this. I'm half-way into my loan payoff (faster than 5k more) and I checked resale recently and the 2k Navi addition is now worth only 500 more. Plus, if you keep your TL long-term, you're won't have to pay the 190+ disc upgrade for maps (Garmin updates are freebies!). I'd love to have a MT, but commuting in a metro area sux without AT. The best value to me that's out there right now is an 07 with as LOW miles as you can get. There were some subtle upgrades on the 06 to 07 transition that are new options on current year models of other makers. For what it's worth...
Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

In your way of thinking, then why did you get a TL, why not an Accord V6? LOL
Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

1. I am not smoking crack, and I'm certainly not the first person to say it lacks some lowend torque. Pedal to the floor it takes a second to get going, then there's a push back into the seat as the car starts taking off. I've test driven 3 so far and I've pushed each of them on strips of road, so I think I've assessed them fairly. Like I said, I've driven sports cars my entire life, so I expect a bit more from 270hp.

2. It's not a fair comparison because the manual I drove was the type-s, but I find it much easier to drive faster in it than the auto. I'd be curious to drive a type-s auto or base manual to get a better feel for it.
Obviously you are use to V8s. V6's feel the way the TL or TL-S do. Even my 350Z felt the same as well. V8s give you all the power down low, but lose power up top while the V6s are all up top while it has some down low, just not as much as a V8. Either way, the Car has more than most cars with a V6 in TQ down low and it does get up and go. Sounds to me like you want a V8, so go get one.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by vovka2007
If you looking for the fastest, then 6spd type s is the way to go. If not then base 6spd will do that. I heard that Base 6spd is quicker than auto Type S. Dont know if thats true, but i see how its possible. But for me 5k extra is not worth it for a bigger engine and different wheels. But its just me.
Wellp theres a little more to it than that but ok. So a Z06 isnt worth it over a regular vette? Its got a bigger engine and different wheels
Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Obviously you are use to V8s. V6's feel the way the TL or TL-S do. Even my 350Z felt the same as well. V8s give you all the power down low, but lose power up top while the V6s are all up top while it has some down low, just not as much as a V8. Either way, the Car has more than most cars with a V6 in TQ down low and it does get up and go. Sounds to me like you want a V8, so go get one.
I'd meant on professional car websites they'd even mentioned a lack of low-end torque.

I am definitely used to V8's and certainly want one, but the TL has an almost irresistible interior and set of features. I'm currently wrestling with whether I want a fast/fun car or the luxury and convenience of a TL. I'm spending a lot of money and certainly don't want to get one car and regret not getting the other.

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Wellp theres a little more to it than that but ok. So a Z06 isnt worth it over a regular vette? Its got a bigger engine and different wheels
Maybe if you're racing on the track.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

Maybe the dealer had regular gas in it. As they did in mine, and it did feel week. Till I put 93 octane, and now I do half throttle off a stop, and the car has crazy torque steer and spins the wheels. So you can't tell me this car has no torque.

That is why I am thinking as most dealers put the cheap gas in their cars on the lot.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Project X
what exactly is this 3rd gear issue and is it on a specific range of model years?
what he said. i dont have any issues that i'm aware of, except the notorious power steering issue (even after the recall service!)
Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what your priorities are. If you want the satisfied feeling of driving the top of the line trim, get the Type S. If you are taking the economical route, get the base model.

I really wanted a manual and I noticed that the manual Type S would cost a fortune so I picked up an 06 manual for $10k less and I am very happy.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bender
3rd gear grind or a notchy feeling when shifting into 3rd. Sometimes it pops out of gear if not forced in. Acuras fluid didn't work to well so lots of us switched to GM syncromesh friction modified and the problem went away. I did and have not had an issue in years.
okay so i got a question for u. i went to the dealer and i told them that this was happening to my 05 tl m/t. and basically he said that the mechanic couldn't find something wrong with it. and that they would have to take everything apart and they might possibly charge me 1500 for the labor if the extended warranty doesn't cover it.

1- question.... Does the extended warranty cover this issue?
2- question.... is the service rep trying to scare me with the 1500 so that i wont do the service for my car.
3-question.... and kinda important. i place an intake, short shifter, exhaust- will the warranty say they wont cover me because i have done this modifications???????????

thanks for any advice.....
Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Maybe the dealer had regular gas in it. As they did in mine, and it did feel week. Till I put 93 octane, and now I do half throttle off a stop, and the car has crazy torque steer and spins the wheels. So you can't tell me this car has no torque.

That is why I am thinking as most dealers put the cheap gas in their cars on the lot.
I wouldn't doubt it; you may be on to something.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vonkristian
okay so i got a question for u. i went to the dealer and i told them that this was happening to my 05 tl m/t. and basically he said that the mechanic couldn't find something wrong with it. and that they would have to take everything apart and they might possibly charge me 1500 for the labor if the extended warranty doesn't cover it.

2- question.... is the service rep trying to scare me with the 1500 so that i wont do the service for my car.
3-question.... and kinda important. i place an intake, short shifter, exhaust- will the warranty say they wont cover me because i have done this modifications???????????

1- yes it should, I would demand them to fix it. It is a known problem but acura does not want to fix it unless they really HAVE to. I would call corporate and complain. DO NOT pay.
2- yes and no. Yes because he wants to make sure it really is a problem, and no because he wants to try and make money off of you.
3-they will if the problem has to do with those upgrades. I had a WRX and blew my tranny with just an intake on it and they tried to blame it on me and made me pay. I went to small claims court and won my money back. They have to PROVE that the upgrade is causing the issue and if they cannot then it will not void your warrantee. Its the law, know your rights and stick up for yourself. I think its like an act of 1974 or something. It states something as explained above.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're even considering a TL-S, just cough up the extra cash and buy it. Cuz if you don't, I guarantee you will regret it.

That being said, if you really can go either way, the TL is a very nice car. My wife has an 06 TL, and I have an 08 TL-S, and I enjoy driving both cars. The TL is definitely more comfortable for long trips (softer suspension, lighter steering).

Two TL garage for the win!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is defiantly not worth it 5 grand for 28 more HP and some aesthetics. You can put 3 grand in the base and make it much more nicer than the TL-s. Plus, you cannot s/c a TL-s . Yes navi is standard on the TL-s, but you still pay for it. The price of a TL-s is the same price as a base with all the TL-s options. Plus, the a-spec kit for the TL-s is fugly IMO. Either or you will not be unsatisfied with an ACURA TL.
If that's the case, why are there countless AZ member upgrading there base TLs to TL-S's
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Maybe they were due for a new car, or did not get the options they wanted on there base that are standard on a type s? I would definatly take type s over base but what I'm saying is after dealers cut on trade in, dealers rip off of new car and taxes it was around ten grand for the upgrade. I'm sorry but type s is not worth ten grand to upgrade, everyone has their opinions and that one is mine. I work hard for my money and ten grand for the upgrade to the nav, 6spd, and brembos that I already have on my base was not worth it.

Last edited by AckTL05; 01-31-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

OK whatever if you think that the 3.2 lacks torque........just about EVERY SINGLE CAR REVIEWER out there flat out disagrees with you.......stating that the 3.2 is a wonderfull high reving torquey motor......the 3.5L is even MORE of a good thing but not that much more.......lol considering that the car is a nice hefty 3500lbs, that motor 3.2 moves it very well.

and my second pont was that the auto is consistant in it's shifting and does it faster than just about enyone who drives a manual.....(there are exceptions to this of course you know race drivers, professional test drivers and the oh so rare average joe that has it down pat)
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kubr1ck
If you're even considering a TL-S, just cough up the extra cash and buy it. Cuz if you don't, I guarantee you will regret it.

That being said, if you really can go either way, the TL is a very nice car. My wife has an 06 TL, and I have an 08 TL-S, and I enjoy driving both cars. The TL is definitely more comfortable for long trips (softer suspension, lighter steering).

Two TL garage for the win!

Dang sweeet picture. I love all TL's but damn that Type S looks 400 times better than the 06 on the left no comparison, get the Type S
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
look man with 5k$ you can get a butload of mods and probably even turbo kit, just pay less and do mods. I could have bought a type s, but for the payments i decided it was smarter to get an older car and mod it.

Last edited by mcmguti; 01-31-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: change monies
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by vonkristian

I don't know about the extended waranty.

I would not take it back to that dealership. The same thing happened to me to. Take is to another one where you won't have to deal with that kind of treatment. If you want to fix the issue just get the GM friction modified fluid from a Cadillac dealer and have a shop put it in. It will fix your gear issue as soon as you drive away.

I don;t think the mods will void your warranty, the dealership sucks. Go to another one.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmguti
look man with 5k$ you can get a butload of mods and probably even turbo kit, just pay less and do mods. I could have bought a type s, but for the payments i decided it was smarter to get an older car and mod it.
You could get a lot of mods, but you're not going to get them and a turbo for $5K.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by spinxt
If that's the case, why are there countless AZ member upgrading there base TLs to TL-S's
Because they are ridiculous people who can't be happy with what they have. If the TL-s came out before the base model, people would be switching their TL-s to the base model tail lights, ect.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mcmguti
LOL yeah a turbo. And have the most unreliable TL ever not to mention your gonna break the tranny and other stuff very quickly.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Former Sponsor

First off trading up to a TL-S would be around 10 grand which is just ridiculous. Picking between a used TL-S for 24,999 and a used base for 22,999 is a no brainer, TL-S all the way. But in my case the 10 grand is just not happening, for 4 grand you can go S/C, meth, full exhaust and a custom CAI for a reliable fast car.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good exhaust is over a grand alone. I have not clue where you're getting these numbers from

Quick Reply: Is Type-S worth it? Is manual much faster? Any high-mileage mechanical problems?