Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Type S owners impression of 4G TL after 2 days of driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Type S owners impression of 4G TL after 2 days of driving

My 3G TL type S is at the Acura dealer for the first time in nearly 4 years for some minor warranty issues (SES light, broken seat heater and a few misc. rattles). I was given a 2010 TL Tech (non SH-AWD). From the outside Im still getting used to the drastic styling changes but I have to be honest that its certainly grown on me some..... I used to think the car was butt ugly and now while Im certainly not in love with it, Im finding it to be easier on the eyes. I am anxiously awaiting the 2012 release today to see what Acura has in store for us in both the looks and specs department.

On to the driving experience....... Im amazed at how "small" the car drives for how large/portly it looks from the outside. Its quick and nimble and seems to be well balanced. It honestly feels like the tuning is more aggressive with better low end torque and less torque management on shifts. I also find that it seems the engine revs quicker from a response standpoint. I like the what seems to be smaller diameter and much fatter steering wheel, very minimal torque steer compared to my 3G as well.Many of the driver controls are familiar/similar and while Im still getting used to them Im not really happy about the Navi controls losing the "touchscreen" ability. My biggest complaints thus far are the HFL controls.... it seems you cant dial by voice anymore or just say "redial" etc..... My second big complaint is the "today's destinations/destination list", I use this feature regularly in my 3G TL.... it lets you add 5 destination and tells you the distance from closest to farthest, it also lets you switch the order around if you see fit. The 4G is not user friendly in the least bit. Now in defense of the 4G I dont have the owners manual so I may be missing something regarding both the HFL and destinations. Certainly these things are not deal breakers but minor disappointments. On to the good now..... The ELS system is a quantum leap better than the ELS in my 3G, I added a 10" sub to my car which helped but the mids/highs of the 4G system are absolutely amazing as well as the low bass in stock form. The addition of the HDD and Bluetooth audio is a great feature, so nice to be able to listen to the music from my iphone without wires..... sound is crystal clear too.

After driving this car I would say that I am more inclined to possibly purchase one down the road. I mentioned earlier Im awaiting the 2012 release...... besides the toned down styling that been rumored in addition to spy photos I would really like to see the addition of the 6 speed auto as well as a bit more power. I would definately opt for a SH-AWD model as I feel that would be one of the biggest upgrades from my current 3G Type S. Overall I feel Acura did a nice job with the car from a driver standpoint. I typically buy a new car ever 2-3 years but I have been waiting as nothing has really sparked my interest..... I have considered spending more money and looking into Audi S4's, Caddy CTS-V's. In the past I have considered Infiniti G's but to me the styling is a bit on the blah side while the TL is currently a bit over the top....... Ive been so happy with my Acura ownership experience over the past 10+ years and 4 cars that I would like to purchase another Acura Vehicle....... lets just hope I like what I see today with the 2012.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Nice review! I drove a 4G TL for a very short period of time and wasn't able to mess with the electronics, but I love the fit and finish of the interior. If there were a way to put the 4G interior in my 3G, I would do it.

Btw your Corvette is
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Nice review! I drove a 4G TL for a very short period of time and wasn't able to mess with the electronics, but I love the fit and finish of the interior. If there were a way to put the 4G interior in my 3G, I would do it.

Btw your Corvette is
Appreciate the compliment on the vette..... thank you
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by MVR 155
I am anxiously awaiting the 2012 release today to see what Acura has in store for us in both the looks and specs department.
Someone posted some 2012 TL spy shots in another thread not too long ago. Don't get your hopes up. The TL looks more like a Camry than ever before....enjoy.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Since you posted this in the 4GTL section as well, I am closing this one. No need for two discussions on the same topic. Thanks.

p.s. The MMC 2012 TL pics are out. Head on over to the 4GTL section if you wanna see them or go to the TL thread in the Automotive News section of the forum in the Off Topic area of the forum.