Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turanza vs. Potenza

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turanza vs. Potenza

The manual transmission TL, comes with Potenza Tires.

The automatic TL, comes with Turanza Tires ( the one with the problems )

Is the Potenza, a good tire for the TL auto ? Is there any reason why Accura does not give you a choice tires ?

Mt brother just bought a Mazda RX8 auto. and his car came with Potenza's

Not a tire expert,
Cypwood
Old 04-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
huh? my manual came with Turanza's.... you only get Potenzas if you have the High Performance Tire package
Old 04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Racer

cTLgo is right. Both 6MT and 5AT come standard with the Turanzas. I got the optional high perfromance tires - the Potenza 030's. They have been vibration free and stick like glue. A side benefit is that they protect the rims better than the all seasons. So far (6500 miles) they are quiet and are not wearing that bad. The one real negative is they are awful in the snow.
There are several tires I would recommend over the 030 Potenzas such as the BS RE750's, BS S-03's GY GS-D3's and the Falkin ST115 or ZE 512. Acura really let us down on the tires options.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by cTLgo
huh? my manual came with Turanza's.... you only get Potenzas if you have the High Performance Tire package
I must of read the catalog wrong. I thought it came with the manual Trans.

So sorry !
Cypwood
Old 04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by lakeman
cTLgo is right. Both 6MT and 5AT come standard with the Turanzas. I got the optional high perfromance tires - the Potenza 030's. They have been vibration free and stick like glue. A side benefit is that they protect the rims better than the all seasons. So far (6500 miles) they are quiet and are not wearing that bad. The one real negative is they are awful in the snow.
There are several tires I would recommend over the 030 Potenzas such as the BS RE750's, BS S-03's GY GS-D3's and the Falkin ST115 or ZE 512. Acura really let us down on the tires options.
Hi ! If the Potenza is a good tire. Wouldn't that be a good fix for the 2005's ?
Accura would give you a choice a M&S tire or a tire for hot climates (the Potenza's )

I live in South Florida.

Cypwood
Old 04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura did a study and found that people who drive manual transmission cars tend to drive more aggressively. The Potenza are supposed to be summer tires and last only about 15000 miles. The Turanzas are a decent all season tire that are supposed to last 30k or more.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
if they were smart they should have stuck with Michelin. The potenzas are low profile tires, purely for summer use, no snow... so for Florida, yes they are perfect.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Acura needs to go back to Michelins.. No problems there
Old 04-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by cypwood1

Is the Potenza, a good tire for the TL auto ? Is there any reason why Accura does not give you a choice tires ?

Not a tire expert,
Cypwood
Boy, I came to the right place. You guys know your stuff !

Cypwood
Old 04-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Banned

Not a tire expert,
Cypwood
The potenza is optional on the manual. For the Auto you have to go to the optional 18 inch wheel where you get Yokohamas. The potenza is superior to the turanzas no question, but, are completely useless (and dangerou)in snow.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
Acura needs to go back to Michelins.. No problems there

Dealer told me that Michelin hiked the price of thier tires, which is why acura left...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Instructor

I have a NBP 6mt with Navi and the performance tires(Potenza). These are one of the best set of tires I have used yet. They stick like glue. Only thing is like someone else mentioned is that they are terrible in the snow. I live in NYC and not too long ago we had a bad snowstorm. The only car that was even capable of tackling the snow was my TL. My other car is a 93 Rx7 and there's no way I'm taking that into the snow unless I was suicidal. Well to make a long story short, I had a hard time getting my TL out of my driveway. The driveway is slightly inclined maybe like 15 degrees. It took me 30 minutes to get my car out. When I did get it out I went straight for a highway and nearly rearended someone cause I kept losing traction. Thanks to ABS and the VSA I was able to swerve and keep control of the car. I wound up on the shoulder narrowly avoiding the fat end of a Grand Cherokee
Old 04-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
The potenza is optional on the manual. For the Auto you have to go to the optional 18 inch wheel where you get Yokohamas. The potenza is superior to the turanzas no question, but, are completely useless (and dangerou)in snow.

For the Auto, you have to go to the optional 18 inch wheel where you get Yokohamas. So would that be a factory option ? Or something else for the dealer to screw around with.

I have been using the Yoko. Avid H 4 on my 95'Max. Because I live in South Florida, I deep six the tires after they are 3 years old, along with my car battery. I dumped the Bridgestone's that came with the Max. the first year that I had the car (June 1994) I am on my third set of Yoko's as described above. I made telephone friends with a customer service person at Yoko. Also in 94' She recommended the Avids. Their customer service I rate at 10.
She did me a heavy duty favor one day when I had a problem. I owe her !

cypwood

BTW: Since I want to order a 2005 TL Auto in the fall, I called C/S at Accura yesterday. They told me that they were aware of the issues with the car
( including the tires ) He told me that they are working on a fix for the 2005'
Old 04-13-2004, 02:22 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ohene
Dealer told me that Michelin hiked the price of thier tires, which is why acura left...
Yes, but the Honda Accord EX still uses them and so does the TSX, both less expensive cars than the TL????

Also, interestingly, the RL shows in some (read not all) of the press photos a big "Michellin" logo in color?

Gee, I wonder if that was a snub to Bridgestone.

I think the whole Bridgestone thing is a golf course deal in Japan, with both parent companies based there???

[image]http://sohc.vtec.net/news_files/219695/05rl_pr-024.jpg[/image]
Old 04-13-2004, 02:29 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sorry, image did not work.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Banned

For the Auto, you have to go to the optional 18 inch wheel where you get Yokohamas. So would that be a factory option ? Or something else for the dealer to screw around with.

I have been using the Yoko. Avid H 4 on my 95'Max. Because I live in South Florida, I deep six the tires after they are 3 years old, along with my car battery. I dumped the Bridgestone's that came with the Max. the first year that I had the car (June 1994) I am on my third set of Yoko's as described above. I made telephone friends with a customer service person at Yoko. Also in 94' She recommended the Avids. Their customer service I rate at 10.
She did me a heavy duty favor one day when I had a problem. I owe her !

cypwood

BTW: Since I want to order a 2005 TL Auto in the fall, I called C/S at Accura yesterday. They told me that they were aware of the issues with the car
( including the tires ) He told me that they are working on a fix for the 2005'
Personally, I haven't had any issues with my tires Vin 2500. After a long winter I switched back to the turanzas. They have been working very well, No vibration flat spotting or any other issues. My car has 11K and it just keeps getting better and better. The suspension has loosened very well (I run the optional high speed setting 39 PSI front and 35 rear). I have no rattles and the clutch has gotten smooth as butter. Every time I drive this car I'm amazed what an excellent vehicle it is. If you need a car now I would not wait for 2005. Most of the negative stuff you read around here is from jealous trolls who dont even own the car.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Wink

Personally, I haven't had any issues with my tires Vin 2500. After a long winter I switched back to the turanzas. They have been working very well, No vibration flat spotting or any other issues. My car has 11K and it just keeps getting better and better. The suspension has loosened very well (I run the optional high speed setting 39 PSI front and 35 rear). I have no rattles and the clutch has gotten smooth as butter. Every time I drive this car I'm amazed what an excellent vehicle it is. If you need a car now I would not wait for 2005. Most of the negative stuff you read around here is from jealous trolls who dont even own the car.
I have to wait till the fall. I have a few more payments on my son 2003 Civic Ex. My old work associate from NY who live by me down in Florida is buying my Max. The rest is COD...........No payments !

Cypwood
BTW: what's the deal with the 39PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the rear ?
I knew about this, but not why ?

Cypwood
Old 04-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Wink

I have to wait till the fall. I have a few more payments on my son 2003 Civic Ex. My old work associate from NY who live by me down in Florida is buying my Max. The rest is COD...........No payments !

Cypwood

Cypwood
Please excuse my spelling, I'm getting punch drunk !

Cypwood
Old 04-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned

Cypwood

Cypwood
At that higher pressure the contact patch is smaller thus lessening heat buildup. You only have to worry about it if you drive>130 If you never venture that high regular pressure 35/32 is fine. With the higher setting the ride is essentially the same but turn in is improved. In sudden, sharp high speed bumps they have more bounce.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Advanced

At that higher pressure the contact patch is smaller thus lessening heat buildup. You only have to worry about it if you drive>130 If you never venture that high regular pressure 35/32 is fine. With the higher setting the ride is essentially the same but turn in is improved. In sudden, sharp high speed bumps they have more bounce.
Hey you know your tires well...would you by chance happen to know a recommendation for tire pressures for an ASPEC 5SPD, they never gave recommended pressures and the numbskulls don't know what it should be.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

The 18" tires on the OEM A-Spec wheels recommend:

39 front
36 rear
Old 04-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lore
The 18" tires on the OEM A-Spec wheels recommend:

39 front
36 rear
From the 32/32 factory spec for AT, okkaaayyyy, I'll try that. We'll see what the difference is.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Instructor

Question

Thanks for your reply. Down here in Florida, on US 1. I average 40 -70 mph.

I was just wondering why you need more air in the front then the rear. Maybe it has something to do with the "Center of gravity"

Cypwood