Trunk Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003 | 07:39 PM
4th Gear

Trunk Question

Hey guys, I'm new here. the 04 TL (Black/Ebony AT) is one of my choices of a car, TL or 04 Maxima. Now from what I read I know the Maxima Trunk is huge, but how is the TL Trunk? I plan on a custom audio setup in the trunk. Also does the trunk have a pass through to the cabin. like does the rear seats fold down? And also are the same audio features (speakers/sub) offered in all trims of the TL besides the Navigation? Thanks

-Carlos
Old 12-14-2003 | 07:54 PM
Chief TL Aviator

The back seats do not fold down, but there is a passthru if you pull down the armrest in the back ...
Old 12-14-2003 | 08:03 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Re: Trunk Question

Originally posted by AcuraNoob
Hey guys, I'm new here. the 04 TL (Black/Ebony AT) is one of my choices of a car, TL or 04 Maxima. Now from what I read I know the Maxima Trunk is huge, but how is the TL Trunk? I plan on a custom audio setup in the trunk. Also does the trunk have a pass through to the cabin. like does the rear seats fold down? And also are the same audio features (speakers/sub) offered in all trims of the TL besides the Navigation? Thanks

-Carlos
If your looking at a Maxima, test drive it throughly prior to signing any paperwork! I just had a dealer buy my 04 Max back after BBB, arbitration etc. The 04, both SE and SL have a bad vibration (some?) that the dealer will tell you is just the tires needing balanced, but that nor replacing the tires has any effect. If you drive one that has the issue, you will feel it between 65-80 and beyond. Definitely test drive on a very smooth asphalt road at a minimum. This can start as just a fine vibration and or real strong. Mine would put my left arm/hand to sleep after about 15 minutes, it was disgusting for a $32K "flagship" sedan.
Nissan's statement is that the vibe is "normal". Thats all I will say about that. (But if you ask, I will tell you all you want to know about my 04 Max driving experience via PM)
Now, having owned the 04 Max for 4 months I can attest that the trunk is huge and the entire rear seat folds down, 60-40 style. This was a huge (no pun intended) selling point for me. As for the TL, the trunk is in my words significantly smaller. The only pass through is the small opening provided by the center armrest. The addition of the Nav equipment also causes the trunk to be that much smaller. As for the stereo, Navi or not the stereo is the same - only two types of TL's offered, one with and one without Navi. No other "trim" levels.
Now, you will read on this board of many minor issues present on some new TL's, even tire vibration. But after driving the TL myself and eying it over for quite some time, I can easily say the interior at a minimum is much nicer than the Maxima. Much quieter inside while driving also. The car I drove had 0 vibration issues - Hopefully the one I have coming will be the same.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Smitty
Old 12-14-2003 | 08:06 PM
Instructor

The audio is the same on all trim levels.

I was looking at the Maxima too when I was shopping for a new car. Couple of things that pushed me to the TL '04:

- the Maxima's interior was not very good, at least in comparison to the TL. The material in the dash and other trim seemed quite cheap/tacky. The previous generation Maxima looked classier.
- the Maxima exterior is a bit ugly. Of course, this is purely subjective and it may grow on one after a while... however, the grille is a bit too extroverted for my taste.
- safety: the Maxima does not have current safety tests reported at IIHS and NHTSA. Since it is based on the Altima, the best I could do was use the Altima's ratings. The new TL does not have safety ratings yet, but since it is based on the Accord, we can be sure it will at least do as well as the Accord in terms of crash tests. The Accord does a lot better than the Altima in terms of safety; this was a big factor in my choosing the TL over the Maxima.

Though the Max has less power than the TL, it felt quicker off the line than the TL (both Auto). In my opinion, the ride/handling is more or less on par, with a slight edge to the TL, maybe.
Old 12-14-2003 | 09:25 PM
4th Gear

thanks for the replies, just the answers I needed. I actually am leading more towards the TL. it does come in a good package but then again i only see pics, I haven't actually been to a deale rto look at one in person. I'll probably do so sometime this week. Since the Maxima is built on the same platform as the Altima I assume most of everythin is the same as my sisters 03 Altima. I like it, but its a 4cyl but its also quicker then my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ which I will be trading for either car. Also is this new TL built on its very own platform and there are no parts that can be shared off of other Acura/hondas? My Galant I can switch off with the 2000+ eclipses 6cyl such as engine parts, and suspension parts as well. Thanks in advance.

-Carlos
Old 12-14-2003 | 11:35 PM
Instructor

As I mention above, the TL is based on the Accord platform.