mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Total lost?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:14 AM
the ish of the crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetride01
Umm... a loss of a car is not a tragedy, especially one as easily replacable as a new TL.
Cars<Human Life. I'd probably just be pissed at the Ram driver, but see that he might actually learn a lesson.
"Umm..." I agree that the loss of a car does not compare to the loss of a human life, but this loss is a tragedy to me.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:41 AM
the ish of the crash

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
If the RL is in the realm of possibilities, you should strongly consider that. What an awesome car it is. Of course, the TL is, too.
If the insurance company somehow decides to give me an extra 20k or so on my TL then I would gladly get an RL.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
WOW!!! That TC got HAMMERED!!! I rented one of those for my uncle's wedding and that has a HUGE trunk area so, seeing that compacted floored me.

Sorry for the loss of your new TL man. Hopefully, the turnaround into a new car will be forthcoming soon.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Instructor

sorry about your loss. at least you were not putting stuff in the trunk. no dealer could replace u split in half. hope those poor cookies are ok. lol
Old 11-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the bright side

If it's any consolation, the cookies looked a little well done - not soft and chewy (the way I like them). At least you won't have to come up with any excuses as to why they all weren't eaten

In all seriousness - sorry for all you'll have to deal with to get back on the road and glad nobody was hurt.

My TL was rear-ended on Wednesday (day before Thanksgiving). I was pretty pissed, but at the end of the day, it's only plastic and metal. I'll just need a new bumper.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Racer

NOOOOoooooo the cookies .......im j/kin . srry bout the accident
Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Team Anthracite Member

No Casualties?

NO CASUALTIES!!!???

Did you not see the man's cookies scattered all over the place? They looked homemade too...damn...that's not right.

Will insurance insist that all of that is repairable? It looks a mess.
Hopefully the idiot that caused all of this gets nailed for DWI or something. How dumb and bad of a driver do you need to be in daylight to run into a row of parked cars? Christ, you could have been getting something out of the trunk (like 'dem cookies) and your whole life would have changed...thankfully it is just the car that got killed. Good luck with repairs - it is a shame that you have to now deal with all the headaches that come with that. Hope the jerk that hit you got his little freakin kleenex - he will need it to wipe his tears when he gets next years insurance quote

Originally Posted by HEK
WOW ....I'm glad there were no casualties....
Old 11-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Racer

1. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

2. Keep us posted on the replacement (R.I.P. TL )

3. Is that a decapitated Gingerbread Man I see in the trunk? Oh the humanity!

4. As grandma says... "Make the bastard PAY!"
Old 11-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thats bad man. Glad that everyones okay. I noticed that the Lincoln had a Santa Margarita Ford license plate frame. Thats 2 seconds from my house. Maybe iv seen it in real life. or you crash ish. Im in irvine alot for that Lollicup! Ever been there?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
the ish of the crash

Originally Posted by stavebomb
Thats bad man. Glad that everyones okay. I noticed that the Lincoln had a Santa Margarita Ford license plate frame. Thats 2 seconds from my house. Maybe iv seen it in real life. or you crash ish. Im in irvine alot for that Lollicup! Ever been there?
Nah I don't know what Lollicup is but I go to school at UCI. The towncar is my GF's mom, she lives out there. The accident itself happened out in Santa Ana.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah man Lollicup! Its tapioca ishhhh
Old 11-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Instructor

that bad man crashed his truck no soup for him
Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Riu
2004 TL

no airbags when cars off?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by crashish
(we estimate somewhere between 40-50mph), but it is suspected that he may have been intoxicated.
Dude, screw that... Judging by the pictures, he must have been going at least 70+ mph.

I say that, because I've been rear-ended by a Camry and a Maxima on separate occasions that hit me at 50 and 60mph (I was stopped). And both times, my rear end did not crumple like that. In fact I only needed to replace the bumper. And I was the one that was directly hit. Perhaps my 98' Pontiac Grand Prix is a tank, but I doubt it would be more of a tank than a Lincoln Town Car. (I'm just glad I wasn't driving the TL those days)

A few months ago, I was nailed yet again on the freeway while stopped in traffic, but this time I was hit indirectly. A ford tempo nailed the Pontiac Vibe that was behind me, which than hit me, and pushed me into an accord in front of me. The police estimated the vibe was hit at 50mph. The rear of the vibe wasn't that trashed. They needed to pull the bumper out of the tire, but it was still drivable. I only had minimal damage.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by avs007
Dude, screw that... Judging by the pictures, he must have been going at least 70+ mph.

I say that, because I've been rear-ended by a Camry and a Maxima on separate occasions that hit me at 50 and 60mph (I was stopped). And both times, my rear end did not crumple like that. In fact I only needed to replace the bumper. And I was the one that was directly hit. Perhaps my 98' Pontiac Grand Prix is a tank, but I doubt it would be more of a tank than a Lincoln Town Car. (I'm just glad I wasn't driving the TL those days)

A few months ago, I was nailed yet again on the freeway while stopped in traffic, but this time I was hit indirectly. A ford tempo nailed the Pontiac Vibe that was behind me, which than hit me, and pushed me into an accord in front of me. The police estimated the vibe was hit at 50mph. The rear of the vibe wasn't that trashed. They needed to pull the bumper out of the tire, but it was still drivable. I only had minimal damage.

Sorry, but this is very incorrect. Have you seen what happens to cars when the IIHS or NHTSA tests them in crashes? Well, that is 40MPH

You get hit at 40mph and your car is gone, plain and simple. It will be thoroughly destroyed.

This is the result of a 40mph frontal impact on an Acura TL:

This is 40mph in a new RL:

For reference, this is what happens to a Nissan Maxima when it hits a deformable barrier at 40mph:

And it hit you a 50mph+ and it looked like that but the Grand Prix only needed a bumper? Don't think so.

I'm not singling you out, people in general have a tendency to WAY over exaggerate impact speeds in accidents. If your bumper is the only thing that sustained damage, it was likely an impact in >10mph. Anything over 12mph will usually cause airbag deployment.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 AM
Drifting

Sorry, but this is very incorrect. Have you seen what happens to cars when the IIHS or NHTSA tests them in crashes? Well, that is 40MPH

You get hit at 40mph and your car is gone, plain and simple. It will be thoroughly destroyed.

Ever notice that IIHS crashes the car into a cement barrier?

For reference, this is what happens to a Nissan Maxima when it hits a deformable barrier at 40mph:

Did I say the car that hit me suffered no damage? No.

And it hit you a 50mph+ and it looked like that but the Grand Prix only needed a bumper? Don't think so.

Do I need to post my itemized repair bill, and the police reports? Did it ever occur to you that I was not hit by a cement barrier? Every bit of damage absorbs some of the impact forces. That towncar absorbed a heck of a lot of impact forces. The fact that the secondary impact still caused such great damage, means the initial impact was VERY strong. Much stronger than when I was directly hit at 50mph

I'm not singling you out, people in general have a tendency to WAY over exaggerate impact speeds in accidents. If your bumper is the only thing that sustained damage, it was likely an impact in >10mph.

I assume you meant, less than 10mph. 10mph will not push you into the car infront of you. And it certainly won't push that car into yet another car. Especially when everybody is standing on the brakes.

When I said I needed a new bumper, I didn't mean just the skin. I meant all the mounting hardware and such too. I didn't have frame damage, but the bumper was gone. (At least when I was directly hit. When I was hit by secondary impact, only my skin was damaged)

If I was hit at 10mph, then why was the guy driving the tempo unconscious and taken to the hospital?

Anything over 12mph will usually cause airbag deployment.

Better check your sources again. Frontal airbags are designed to only deploy when impact is > 30mph or so.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Drifting

To add, those pictures from IIHS, are frontal offset impacts. The impact forces from those are much greater than full frontal impacts.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Actually the IIHS crashes the cars into deformable barriers that represent other vehicles.

And police reports, repair bills, etc... regardless of what they say there are laws of physics. You get hit at 40+mph and you've been involved in a severe accident, not a minor fender bender.

A 3500lb car moving at 40mph is going to do more than scuff, dent, or snap a bumper. It's not rocket science, it's common sense.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:57 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Actually the IIHS crashes the cars into deformable barriers that represent other vehicles.

And police reports, repair bills, etc... regardless of what they say there are laws of physics. You get hit at 40+mph and you've been involved in a severe accident, not a minor fender bender.

A 3500lb car moving at 40mph is going to do more than scuff, dent, or snap a bumper. It's not rocket science, it's common sense.
i agree. while we probably all have crash stories about getting hit either really hard and having little damage or getting hit at low speeds and needing major body work, the driver was not going 70. that doesnt make sense and is just an extreme speed.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Not entirely. The barrier itself deforms, but cars are not fixed objects. Moving an object absorbs much of the impact forces too.

A 3500lb car moving at 40mph is going to do more than scuff, dent, or snap a bumper. It's not rocket science, it's common sense

It's not that simple. Are you going to suffer the same damages if you hit a telephone pole versus a tree? How about a motorcycle?

If my car was propped against a cement wall, then my car would've absorbed 50% of the impact. But my car got pushed forward pretty far. That means not all the kinetic energy of the other car was absorbed by the bumper.

I spent some time looking yesterday, (but I couldn't find it), of a picture of the Pontiac Grand Prix Pace car, that got rear-ended during the Daytona 500 several years ago. That car got slammed very hard, but only suffered severe bumper damage, with no damage to the trunk. The nascar that hit it on the other hand, was destroyed. That picture was a perfect example, of how the car that hit the pace car absorbed a majority of the impact forces.

Do you think you'll get more damage if you get rear-ended by a 68' Chevy or an 05' camry? Why do you think the 68' chevy will do more damage? Because it wasn't designed to absorb impact forces very well. (I also own a 68' Chevy, and can attest to why my friends have labeled it the "Tank")

Now keep in mind, arguing about how hard I got hit, and how much damage I suffered is beside the point. My point was that I have a hard time believing that the dodge was only going 40mph, and was able to cause that much damage on secondary impact.

When I was hit by secondary impact, I didn't suffer any kind of severe damage. That TL almost looked like it suffered the same amount of damage as the primary impact. It takes a lot of force to do that.

Now the ford tempo that slammed the car behind me was completely destroyed, and the driver was sent to the hospital. Most of the impact was absorbed by the car behind me and the tempo. Looking at the dodge, it looked like it hit the trunk of the TC and not the bumper, so the truck didn't look to absorb much of the impact, so maybe that's what happened, I don't know. I wonder if anyone had their parking brakes engaged....
Old 11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by subinf
the driver was not going 70. that doesnt make sense and is just an extreme speed.
Wasn't the guy drunk tho? All bets are off, about what is reasonable if one is drunk.... I've seen sober people drive 60 in a residential area....
Old 11-30-2005, 04:57 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The estimate of 40-50mph for the truck that struck the towncar is probably right on the money. E-brake engaged or not, all that's going to happen is the tires give up traction on impact. The force of the Dodge hitting the towncar at, say 45mph, pushing it at half that would do easily that much damage to the TL.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Come to think of it, given the light damage of the truck, and this being what happens to a Dodge Ram in an offset crash (and look at the pictures, the Ram hit the Towncar in an offset way):

He probably wasn't quite doing 40. The reason there is so much damage to the cars is because of the truck's weight (which adds huge amounts of crash force) and it's height over them (strinking the trunk area rather than down low near the frame of the Lincoln.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Drifting

The force of the Dodge hitting the towncar at, say 45mph, pushing it at half that would do easily that much damage to the TL.
So you're saying that a Lincoln Town Car doing 22mph, will destroy the back of a TL?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Drifting

E-brake engaged or not, all that's going to happen is the tires give up traction on impact.
E-Brake is supposed to support the weight of the car on a hill, so that is still quite a bit of potential energy. If the brakes were not engaged at all, then more of the energy would've been transfered into pushing the car, in which case the next car in line will receive more impact force, than if the energy was dispersed though the tires/brakes.

If you take a pool-ball, and measure the force it receives, you'll notice a much higher impact from the cue ball if the ball is screwed to the table, versus allowed to just roll after impact.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Yes a car on a hill is potential energy... but the truck hitting the Towncar is sudden force much stronger than the weight of the car or the tire's contact patch. It probably didn't have the e-brake engaged, though.

And yes, a Lincoln doing 22mph will destroy the rear end of a TL. The bumpers will absorb up to 5mph without significant damage, but anything past that will cause damage - and 4.4x that will do extensive damage to the rear crumple zone.

You, and lots of others, fail to realize just how much force a car has moving at 20mph. Sure, it sounds low, but at 20mph a car is travelling 29 feet per second - that's a significant blow.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Another member asked me to chime in here about the force of an accident. I have not read the thread fully, but I was told that somebody said 40mph would not cause much damage? https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=116869&page=3 Look about half way down that page - that is my TL hit at 45-50mph. (Witnesses estimated it was that speed - posted speed limit was 45). I think that would show that being the TL being hit at 40mph causes extensive damage.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Drifting

Another member asked me to chime in here about the force of an accident. I have not read the thread fully, but I was told that somebody said 40mph would not cause much damage? https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=116869&page=3 Look about half way down that page - that is my TL hit at 45-50mph. (Witnesses estimated it was that speed - posted speed limit was 45). I think that would show that being the TL being hit at 40mph causes extensive damage.

First of all, it looks like your TL was hit on the side. That's always going to result in more damage than being hit from the back, because there is nothing to absorb impact.

But more importantly, your TL was directly hit. The TL in this thread was not directly hit. It was hit by secondary impact. Lets pretend for a moment that the TL in this thread was hit at 45-50mph. The Towncar absorbed a lot of energy in that impact. Just look at the rear-seats. The whole back end was destroyed. That means the towncar MUST have been hit much harder than 45mph in order for it to not only absorb that much energy, but to also hit the TL at 45mph.

And yes, a Lincoln doing 22mph will destroy the rear end of a TL. The bumpers will absorb up to 5mph without significant damage, but anything past that will cause damage - and 4.4x that will do extensive damage to the rear crumple zone.

Just because you hit the bumper at 10mph, doesn't mean it will necessarily damage anything. You keep forgetting about the car that hits you is absorbing impact energy too. Drop an egg from ten ft, and it will splatter. Wrap it with bubble wrap, and drop it from the same ten ft, and it will not break.

Perhaps my Grand Prix just has a terrible crumple zone design on the back, such that it doesn't absorb much energy. I know my G35 got rated very poor for rear impact, because even a light impact would cause $1600 damage to the bumper.

You, and lots of others, fail to realize just how much force a car has moving at 20mph. Sure, it sounds low, but at 20mph a car is travelling 29 feet per second - that's a significant blow.

Yes, it's a significant blow, but it depends on how that energy is dissapated. Those IIHS tests have deformable targets, but it's attached to a cement barrier that doesn't move. A car is not stationary like that.

I've been in a car that hit another car at 20-25mph before. It was on an icy patch of road. I remember the speed, because I was paying close attention to the speedo. We were on ice, so we basically just pushed the other car a good distance. That other car, also happened to by my other friend. The bumper was perfectly fine. Even the foam wasn't even damaged. In that case, most of the energy went into pushing the car forward. The car we were in, on the other hand, broke the headlight assembly. I'm sure if we were on solid ground the outcome would've been different.

That's why in Karate and Tai-Kwon-Do, when you do a punch, you extend your arm and follow through. That way you transfer maximum energy in your blow. If stand to close and don't follow through and extend, you elbow will disperse the energy from your blow as your arm bends.

Why are we even arguing about this? So maybe the Dodge didn't hit the Towncar at 70. But it was still probably closer to 60mph than 40mph. But who cares... Nobody was hurt, and that's the important thing....
Old 12-01-2005, 12:37 AM
6th Gear

nice it happen to me the same way at the beach too i was park and about to get in to my car to go to the club. and there come this guy speeding around the coner and was slam hard in to the rear and it was good hit from the back. so got to my autobody shop and he hook me up with a ron jon kit for free that right FREE so go see ur body shop guy and ask wat can he do for u.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:26 PM
the ish of the crash

At this point, the estimate for repairs is right about 20k, which is roughly 3k shy of being totalled. The body shop is saying that the repairs will take 50 days or more to complete. I'm still trying to wrangle with them to just get a check cut for the value of the car, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out at this point.

Just thought I'd post an update.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 PM
the ish of the crash

Originally Posted by stavebomb
Yeah man Lollicup! Its tapioca ishhhh
Tapioca ish? Like Boba Tea or something?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by crashish
At this point, the estimate for repairs is right about 20k, which is roughly 3k shy of being totalled. The body shop is saying that the repairs will take 50 days or more to complete. I'm still trying to wrangle with them to just get a check cut for the value of the car, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out at this point.

Just thought I'd post an update.
Just now reading this post. That really sucks!
Glad your Okay!

If you really think about it and look at the pictures of your car after the accident.
The passenger areas look like they remain pretty well intact.

That speaks volume fro the safety of this car.
Especially since it was rammed into by a town car.

How about the Cookies?
Whose gonna pay for the COOKIES?!?!?!?!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
i can't believe you had Armorall Wipes in there
Old 12-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
^^^^
Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 AM
Advanced

eh, it should buff right out.. . Glad everyone's ok.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:42 AM
the ish of the crash

Originally Posted by cTLgo
i can't believe you had Armorall Wipes in there
It was a birthday present from my GF's mom. They actually worked great on most surfaces, although I prefer proper cleaner. Either way, I couldn't just say, "Thanks, but these are shite, please give me the receipt!"
Old 12-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Dude,

That is amazing how much damage there was to the Lincoln, those things are like tanks.

Michael