3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in TL for '06 Civic Si? Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Royal Flush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just test drove the new '06 Civic Si. Color me impressed. Quick, nimble and sporty. It handled as good as my TL with the A-Spec suspension. Now, it is not as fast as the TL, but the sensation of speed is certainly greater in the Si. The engine note of the Si is awesome, something the TL lacks. I loved it, definitely racey.

Inside the Si, the seats are practically the same except they are a suede like cloth. The Si also has a proper thick, 3 spoke leather steering wheel. The stereo in the Si is also very impressive with 350 watts and a subwoofer. Dare I say it had more kick to it than the TL simply because the area in the Si is smaller. The dash layout is a little space age and would need some getting used to, but it was still cool looking nonetheless. As a single male with no family and no one to impress, and the price of gas rising, this Si is starting to make sense. Couple that with my TL being a rattle trap and poorly assembled in my opinion, a $20k Civic with any problem with rattles and poor assembly quality become acceptable, unlike vs. a $35k TL.

Thirdly, I like to mod my cars, and the Civic market has tons of aftermarket goodies, unlike the TL. This Civic looks like a mini-TL coupe. I think I may order one once the 2007 models start up. I would have less than a year on my lease in the TL, which I was going to keep, but this Civic is that good that I would not miss the TL at all. Perhaps I am not so crazy.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you are alone. I am shocked at show much the civic resembles the TL and think it is somewhat of a slap in the face to those of us who paid $35k for a car that some people (at first glance) will mistake as a civic.

I like the civic a lot and have considered the same thing.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, you're not crazy but just keep in mind the TL is luxury, probably better for everyday driving. The Civic Si is nice, but it won't be as refined as the TL. Also the sound system isn't DVD-a, there is a lack of bluetooth, no nav option, and all the tech geek features. If you are trading the TL in, just keep in mind you're gonna lose money..(a lot) even though honda has one of the top residual values. If you do it, do it quick before the TL redesign comes out.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:44 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by Republican TL
I just test drove the new '06 Civic Si. Color me impressed. Quick, nimble and sporty. It handled as good as my TL with the A-Spec suspension. Now, it is not as fast as the TL, but the sensation of speed is certainly greater in the Si. The engine note of the Si is awesome, something the TL lacks. I loved it, definitely racey.

Inside the Si, the seats are practically the same except they are a suede like cloth. The Si also has a proper thick, 3 spoke leather steering wheel. The stereo in the Si is also very impressive with 350 watts and a subwoofer. Dare I say it had more kick to it than the TL simply because the area in the Si is smaller. The dash layout is a little space age and would need some getting used to, but it was still cool looking nonetheless. As a single male with no family and no one to impress, and the price of gas rising, this Si is starting to make sense. Couple that with my TL being a rattle trap and poorly assembled in my opinion, a $20k Civic with any problem with rattles and poor assembly quality become acceptable, unlike vs. a $35k TL.

Thirdly, I like to mod my cars, and the Civic market has tons of aftermarket goodies, unlike the TL. This Civic looks like a mini-TL coupe. I think I may order one once the 2007 models start up. I would have less than a year on my lease in the TL, which I was going to keep, but this Civic is that good that I would not miss the TL at all. Perhaps I am not so crazy.
People make different choices in their lives. It really depends on what you want to get out of the car you want to own. For instance, I like the TL not only for speed, but for everything else. If I just want a quick little car, I would have gone for a corvette or a cheaper version of it a (Pontiac GTO). If you really like the Civic for what it has to offer, then you should trade it in for it. Keep in mind the civic is a much smaller vehicle and less practical. But I don't know your status, perhaps you are single and young. A civic might just give you some of that "peppy and fun" feeling the TL may lack.
I would not trade my TL for a civic only because I am in love with my car. It has everything that I need for $30k+ and I can carry 3 other passengers comfortably when needed. It's a luxury status for a middle class man like me and also gives me the power I need to cut through traffic when necessary. For me, the new civic is indeed gorgeous, but I've already grown out of civic days.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:49 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I battled with this when I got rid of my 2004 Accord coupe V6 6MT for the TL. IMO -if you want a rocket that's good on gas with more horses - go for the Accord Coupe V6 6MT - I freaking LOVED that car - it was fast, quick, nimble and always had me having road rage because I just wanted to go, go, go...

I really did love that car.

And I thought I'd be happier with the TL and I am for the most part; except not having the 6MT. The TL was the first automatic car that I've owned.

REPUBLICAN TL -
I like your screen name! I wish I would have thought of that first! I even contemplated getting a personalized plate that was "GOPTL", but opted for "TL4KEL".
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Drifting

WHooooaaa TL all the way
Old 04-12-2006, 04:25 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by KJW73

And I thought I'd be happier with the TL and I am for the most part; except not having the 6MT. The TL was the first automatic car that I've owned.
Why settle for 5AT when Acura offers 6MT TL.................
Old 04-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdb8805
I am shocked at show much the civic resembles the TL and think it is somewhat of a slap in the face to those of us who paid $35k for a car that some people (at first glance) will mistake as a civic.
Did he actually just say that?

I am shocked at how terrible a comparison you just made. Honestly, are you going to try and convince people that the civic si looks resembles the TL.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aznt1217
Well, you're not crazy but just keep in mind the TL is luxury, probably better for everyday driving. The Civic Si is nice, but it won't be as refined as the TL. Also the sound system isn't DVD-a, there is a lack of bluetooth, no nav option, and all the tech geek features. If you are trading the TL in, just keep in mind you're gonna lose money..(a lot) even though honda has one of the top residual values. If you do it, do it quick before the TL redesign comes out.
The CIVIC SI does have a NAVI option.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you getting an Si at msrp? Here in SoCal dealers are selling them for $28-30k because there aren't many around.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
...I would not trade my TL for a civic only because I am in love with my car. It has everything that I need for $30k+ and I can carry 3 other passengers comfortably when needed. It's a luxury status for a middle class man like me and also gives me the power I need to cut through traffic when necessary. For me, the new civic is indeed gorgeous, but I've already grown out of civic days.
Well said. I enjoyed my Civic (it was my first car afterall ) but I certainly don't miss it now that I've gone up to the TL. Don't get me wrong, the Civic was a fun but the TL significantly refined in comparison. I have no plans of going back.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
Where are you getting an Si at msrp? Here in SoCal dealers are selling them for $28-30k because there aren't many around.
Actually yesterday, I was at Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA and they have 2 SI for the MSRP of $20K+. It all depends on the dealerships.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ulangca
Actually yesterday, I was at Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA and they have 2 SI for the MSRP of $20K+. It all depends on the dealerships.
Wierd, the honda dealer just down the street has one for $28,500. Saw it monday when I went in for an oil change.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
Wierd, the honda dealer just down the street has one for $28,500. Saw it monday when I went in for an oil change.
from my understanding of dealer mark-ups is that they are not set in stone. I think they are still able to bring the price down when you do your negotiations for the price.

$8K is sure an absurd premium over the MSRP.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM
VSA Rocks

The new Si is indeed hot. The racing seats are great, the stereo makes my TSX's seem like AM radio, and the K-series motor just opens up all kinds of potential for modding.

After I realize I'm over 30 years old and am tired of boy-racer cars revving me up combined with civic hatchback owners wanting my seats and motor, no thanks! The TL is far better as a daily driver and has prestige worthy enough to valet park at a country club where it easily blends in with BMW's, MB's, and Jaguars.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd
After I realize I'm over 30 years old and am tired of boy-racer cars revving me up combined with civic hatchback owners wanting my seats and motor, no thanks! The TL is far better as a daily driver and has prestige worthy enough to valet park at a country club where it easily blends in with BMW's, MB's, and Jaguars.
So true, I too went through the "ricer" stage with a Prelude Type-SH. Awesome car, fun to drive, handled great, but once I sat behind the seat of the TL and got on it with the 6 speed, I never looked back. The prelude was by no means a stock car either. I had about 20,000 worth of mods to it. Everything but a turbo, full show car, took 1st place at the Nopi events I attended including 1st place in my class at Nopi Nats. I will be working on the TL, but am not going to go for the same look, but I still want it to be aggressive. The Civic is nice, but it is still a Civic. Yes you may have a rattle in the TL, but just imagine how much noise you are going to hear in a Civic. My Wife and I test drove the 06 Civic 4 door, wow, I was really used to the TL and how quite it was. We ended up getting her a MDX.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:39 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

You're not alone in thinking that trading the TL for a Civic would be a good choice, I upgraded from 2k Si to a 2002 RSX-S to a '05 TL and can say that each one has a character of it's own that you can talk about, compare and wish you could have them all in one vehicle....but dollar for dollar the Si is a great car, personally I would go back to a RSX-S in a heart beat but....I'm getting used to the luxury aspect of the TL that I guess only if God forbid I totaled the TL, the RSX-S would be my 1st choice.......
Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Instructor

I wish I got the 6MT, settled for the 5AT because the new wife can't drive a stick (in a car).

I looked at the Civic EX & Si (TL Gas bills started to bug me)....the rear end is nice, but they cut WAY too much off the front, wtf? Plus, don't know if I could get used to the digital spedo on top.

The new civic is a nice car, but realistically can't be compared side/side stat/stat to the TL, different leagues IMOP.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
04 NBP 6MT

I miss my RSX Type S. Like HEK, if some clown crashes into me and totals my TL, I will get another Type S fo' shizzle. I looked at the Civic SI, but the silly instrument panel and digital speedo really turned me off. I also happened to find a used TL in the exact configuration I wanted so went with it.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:15 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Sometimes I think about downgrading back to a Civic, then I look at my poor del Sol sitting in my driveway. It is just so easy to make all the traffic go away with my TL.

I don't think I could easily go back.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Instructor

The new civic is very nice, my gf was the coupe with navigation. The features are alot like the TLs and if you can live without the bluetooth you will be fine. I wouldn't pay too much over invoice. My gfs civic was very hard to find, there were only 3 or 4 in cali. The color she wanted with the navi is not common. But I did several internet inquiries and ended up getting the car out the door for 21900. I only payed a few hundred over invoice.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ol Blue Eyes
Did he actually just say that?

I am shocked at how terrible a comparison you just made. Honestly, are you going to try and convince people that the civic si looks resembles the TL.
I said civic (as in the four door sedan), not civic si. Like many others said, civic si looks like what a coupe TL with a huge spoiler might.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you crazy? In my opinion, I think so...but we're ALL suffering from one thing or another.

Being the approximate age as you, my days of a sporty, two-door coupe are over until I decide to get a second car for myself a few years down the road. Obviously, my job and the requirements that come with it was a factor as from time to time I travel in my TL and need to carry at least one other person and luggage.

I just think it's hard to compare the Civic Si with the TL - apples to oranges in my opinion.

If you want a sportier look and like the Civic Si, then by all means try to get out of your lease early (not sure if this is the most prudent decision without knowing particulars). You can never put a price on personal happiness and I'm a huge advocate of doing whatever it takes to be happy.

Do what you want and be happy - screw everyone else.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jdb8805
I don't think you are alone. I am shocked at show much the civic resembles the TL and think it is somewhat of a slap in the face to those of us who paid $35k for a car that some people (at first glance) will mistake as a civic.

I like the civic a lot and have considered the same thing.
I've got to admit to being mighty imnpressed with the new Civic, and having the same "buyer's remorse" to a small extent.

gurney
Old 04-13-2006, 08:30 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Similarily to what Tripp11 mentioned in his post, my 6-speeding coupe days are over due to practicality. I've always driven manual coupes w/ one exception which was a 1987 BMW 528e back in the day, but even that was manual. I went from the BMW to a 94 del Sol, downgraded to the new 2002 Civic coupe EX, then up to the 2004 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/navi and now to the TL w/navi.

But to answer your question - I had to give up manual shifting because I've had nerve surgery on my left foot [twice] and it hurt too much to be on and off the clutch fifty times on my 7-mile drive to work in bumper to bumper traffic. Got to be too much, really. I actually cried when I decided to get rid of the Accord (it was either another surgery or getting rid of the clutch that irritated it). The V6 6MT coupe is rare (probably like the TL 6MT) and you don't see many around. I lucked out when I traded my Civic - I took it in for service and while waiting I saw it arriving and loved the 10 spoke wheels. I went to look at it, told the salesman I was "just looking" and ten seconds later turned to him said, "work me up some numbers". Two days later, I was off in my Accord.

Having said these sentimental things about my Accord; I do like the like the luxuries of the TL much better and after driving it for the past four months, I'm wondering why I waited so long to get an automatic car. I'm okay with it now.

Ahhh...those precious memories..... hahahaha.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:59 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black_6spd

Also had a civic before my TL... I Loved it, but kinda got sick of kids pulling next to me at a stop light revving their engines wanting to race.... I'm over it!!! But do what makes you happy
Old 04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Empire of The Sun

I believe your name alone indicates that you have a few screws loose. LOL/JK, Keep the TL. IMO
Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Si Coupe or Sedan?

I followed parts of HEK's path....
87 Prelude -> 00 Civic Si -> 02 RSX-S -> 04 S2000 (totalled, sadly) -> 05 TL 6MT (just bought it)

If you need 4 doors, I'd hold out until the end of the calendar year and check out the '07 Si Sedan. The stereo is surprisingly good (not DVD-A or 5.1, but it's still 350 watt), you can get a NAVI, and you still have the convenience of 4 doors. As far as "quickness," I would go over to vtec.net and read up on the real numbers of the Si -- you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Had I not flipped my S, I would have seriously considered both a TL 6MT and a Si Sedan for completely different reasons. BTW, two of my friends have Accord Coupe 6MTs and love them too.

Thank you Honda/Acura for giving us performance options up and down the ladder!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:01 AM
Advanced

This is not as bad as the guy that was going to take a huge depreciation hit on the TL and trade for a Prius but it's getting close.

If you think on a day to day basis you'll like the Civic more go for it. Run the numbers on fuel savings. You can't come close to justifiying it that way.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dooky211

Also had a civic before my TL... I Loved it, but kinda got sick of kids pulling next to me at a stop light revving their engines wanting to race.... I'm over it!!! But do what makes you happy

x3 on this....I had a civic hatch too but i wasnt into racing, too many peeps i know died because of street racing, just liked how civics were like legos and put anything into it. I got rid of the civic due to the fact that everyone that sees a hooked up car wants to race...even those 4x4 hick trucks!!! Sold the civic and test drove an IS250 AWD, then got a TL.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

In short...yes. But what did you expect posting a question like that?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Civic Si Sedan links (in case you want 4 doors) - http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2010?m...37314&mime=asc
http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=605127