Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day at Monticello

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Track Day at Monticello

I attended a two day event Monticello earlier this week and had a blast. This was my second event, first being at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. It's so much fun and I'm definitely hooked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNB0SzIrjFA
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

What...no comments? No one interested in track days? Bunch of street racers!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
what car is it and what mods do you have?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

forgot to include my signature....here you go
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
The car sounds awesome! Do you have to be invited or just show up, pay and race?

I'd love to do something like this but I'll probably fry my brakes and wear our the tires pretty badly. Was that an M3 you were chasing?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexSU
The car sounds awesome! Do you have to be invited or just show up, pay and race?

I'd love to do something like this but I'll probably fry my brakes and wear our the tires pretty badly. Was that an M3 you were chasing?
It was a local BMW CCA event. It's only $40 a year to join up and you pay for each event which usually runs $200 or so. It's a driving school and not a race so there's an instructor in the car with you at all times. Definitely a great time!

That was a M3 in front of me. There were a bunch of M3's 335s in my group. TL held its own though!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I LOVE track days!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Track days look like a lot of fun, just wish I had a weekend car to beat up rather than my daily driver.

Nice driving by the way!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Under construction

Originally Posted by apnorm
It was a local BMW CCA event. It's only $40 a year to join up and you pay for each event which usually runs $200 or so. It's a driving school and not a race so there's an instructor in the car with you at all times. Definitely a great time!

That was a M3 in front of me. There were a bunch of M3's 335s in my group. TL held its own though!
That's not much at all I would definitely need an instructor since I've never raced around a track before. Just wish I could have a set of tires each time I got. I still have lots of suspension work to do though before even thinking of going.

What was your top speed at this track?

Originally Posted by TylerT
Track days look like a lot of fun, just wish I had a weekend car to beat up rather than my daily driver.

Nice driving by the way!
if something goes wrong, I'm taking the bus home!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TylerT

Nice driving by the way!
Thanks Tyler. My TL has 80k+ miles and is my daily driver. It has now become my "track car" too. I've done two events (3 days) and plan on doing 3-4 more before winter comes.

That's not much at all I would definitely need an instructor since I've never raced around a track before.
I agree...it was just over $200 each day which I think is well worth it considering you have an instructor with you the whole day.

Just wish I could have a set of tires each time I got. I still have lots of suspension work to do though before even thinking of going.
I have Continental DW and they're holding up pretty well. You can tell they've been abused but they should be able to get me through the rest of the year, including daily driving duties. I'm thinking about getting the Bridgestones RE-11 next.

Not sure how mine compares to your Tein springs but I have the a-spec suspension and they seem fine for now. I'll eventually like to upgrade but before I do that, I'll need to get better as the car is a lot more capable than I am right now.

What was your top speed at this track?
I was above 130 on that long straight...probably in the high 130's. At that speed, I was more worried about the markers so I didn't look down at the speedo. One of the 335i drivers I hung out with said he hit about 145!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Under construction

Thanks Tyler. My TL has 80k+ miles and is my daily driver. It has now become my "track car" too. I've done two events (3 days) and plan on doing 3-4 more before winter comes.

I agree...it was just over $200 each day which I think is well worth it considering you have an instructor with you the whole day.

I have Continental DW and they're holding up pretty well. You can tell they've been abused but they should be able to get me through the rest of the year, including daily driving duties. I'm thinking about getting the Bridgestones RE-11 next.

Not sure how mine compares to your Tein springs but I have the a-spec suspension and they seem fine for now. I'll eventually like to upgrade but before I do that, I'll need to get better as the car is a lot more capable than I am right now.

I was above 130 on that long straight...probably in the high 130's. At that speed, I was more worried about the markers so I didn't look down at the speedo. One of the 335i drivers I hung out with said he hit about 145!
Oh believe me your suspension is WAY better then mine! Springs are just for looks, IMO. I'd love to get coilovers but that's about $890, maybe later.

130mph is pretty damn quick, I'm sure the supercharger gets you there in a hurry lol

Where and when is the next event you plan on going to?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Looks like you had a beautiful day to race on your hands. Very nice video. Enjoyed watching it!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh believe me your suspension is WAY better then mine! Springs are just for looks, IMO. I'd love to get coilovers but that's about $890, maybe later.

130mph is pretty damn quick, I'm sure the supercharger gets you there in a hurry lol

Where and when is the next event you plan on going to?
The supercharger is fun but it looks like from your mods and quarter mile times, your car's pretty quick too!

There's a HPDE at NHMS on July 29th and another on August 27th. I'd like to go to both but may have something going on on 7/29 already. You feel like taking a ride up north?

Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
Looks like you had a beautiful day to race on your hands. Very nice video. Enjoyed watching it!
Thanks Satin! We lucked out. It rained the day before and showers were expected the day after the event.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Under construction

The supercharger is fun but it looks like from your mods and quarter mile times, your car's pretty quick too!

There's a HPDE at NHMS on July 29th and another on August 27th. I'd like to go to both but may have something going on on 7/29 already. You feel like taking a ride up north?

Thanks Satin! We lucked out. It rained the day before and showers were expected the day after the event.

Haha yeah but I'm slowly convincing myself to get a supercharger! I'd love to go to there but my suspension is not ready, it'll handle like shot. I might be doing a track day or two after that gets done.

Btw how the hell did you get the camera to stay!? lol it never seems to budge, even when you were doing more then 120mph.

Ever try Nitto Invo tires? I don't think they will work up north for daily driving cuz of the cold but they'll be great for the events!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Haha yeah but I'm slowly convincing myself to get a supercharger! I'd love to go to there but my suspension is not ready, it'll handle like shot. I might be doing a track day or two after that gets done.

Btw how the hell did you get the camera to stay!? lol it never seems to budge, even when you were doing more then 120mph.

Ever try Nitto Invo tires? I don't think they will work up north for daily driving cuz of the cold but they'll be great for the events!
I would do the track day before the supercharger. I had a bunch of headaches tuning it so it'll run smoothly. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it now but there was a time when I was thinking what the hell did I get myself into!

It's a gopro camera. check out www.gopro.com suction cup to the sunroof and that sucker is not moving!

I haven't tried the nittos but i'll look into them. I'm hoping my tires will last me for the rest of this year. I have some 19" Inspyres that I plan on putting back on the car so my volks will be track only.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Under construction

I would do the track day before the supercharger. I had a bunch of headaches tuning it so it'll run smoothly. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it now but there was a time when I was thinking what the hell did I get myself into!

It's a gopro camera. check out www.gopro.com suction cup to the sunroof and that sucker is not moving!

I haven't tried the nittos but i'll look into them. I'm hoping my tires will last me for the rest of this year. I have some 19" Inspyres that I plan on putting back on the car so my volks will be track only.
I'll definitely get to a track wayyy before I get a supercharger lol that's a lot of money for me.

I've always wanted to put a camera on the side of the car, right next to the wheel and do some mountain runs!! Looks like this could be a solution, maybe for Christmas

The Invos are awesome! I had them on for a mountain run a few months back and they gripped extremely well! The road was slightly wet and I was shocked at the limits of this tire, held the road very well! The sidewalls didn't flex at all! I had them on 18x8.5 A-specs If I get some lightweight wheels I'll be buying these tires again.

I've seen a few pictures of your car with the Ron Jon's and it looks killer! Got any pics with the Volks?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ Funny you mention the Ron Jon's as I just put them back on my car. I actually like the look of the RJ better. The Volks will now become my track wheels.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That was an awesome video. Kudos to you!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

Nice Vid