3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took Car to the Dealer for B service and.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took Car to the Dealer for B service and.....

Hello all: I am mostly a lurker until today, so I guess I am a newbie.

I bought my 05 TL last April and I love it and love driving it. Its a 6 speed.

Back Story: From the time I got the car I noticed that 3rd gear was a bit rough. I sometimes had a lot of trouble downshifting into 3rd gear. When I first had the car service at the dealer ship that I purchased from - I mentioned the issue and asked that they look at it. I was told they did a minor adjustment to it and it should be fine. They said that was all they could do since it was a saturday appointment and they did basic service. But they told me they would note the file in case I had additional issue in the future. I was acutally hoping that it would a simple change of fluid like many of you had suggested.

It seemed to work for a bit - but then it seemed to happen all the time - during normal shifting and it also started popping out of gear. It just felt like it wasn't grapping. I didn't say anything to my husband - only because he normally says that it is because I don't drive the car right. Anyway he drove it - and mentioned having issues with 3rd gear. Ok so it isn't me. Don't take this wrong - but as a female that has driven stick her entire life - no matter what most men tend to think you don't know how to drive it and assume you bought a car that you don't know how to drive. I get this a lot from the service people at the dealership - and so I have learned to be very cautious about discussing stick with anyone.

Anyways - so this is getting long.

I contacted the dealership to find out about my car and if I can pick it up tonight.

They found a problem. My advisor told me that the 3rd gear is shot. They have to take out the transmission and replace the gear and the car won't be ready until late next week. Everything is covered with the warntee and all - but the car only has 10K miles on it

I am worried - 3 cars - all stick - one I drove for over 10 years and didn't have to replace the clutch, it is still on the road with the original clutch.

I now feel depressed that I won't have my car for almost a week!

Husband asked if they offered a loaner - I didn't even think to ask - since we are a 3 car household - that part was covered. Should I ask for one??

I love my TL - will this be something that will continue to plague my car or will this fix it.

Should I worry - anything that I should ask the advisor about. Thoughts, concerns or questions??? I need to know from the experts.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Riu
2004 TL

ask for a loaner. See if you will be able to try a tsx or maybe even a RL
Old 03-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
My 6MT shifts "like butta" and is silky smooth. With that said, a co-worker has a 6MT and he's been complaining about his 3rd gear and how his TL doesn't want to shift into 3rd...interesting...

My thoughts are that it's an isolated incident as I haven't heard of many problems with the 3Gen TL's manual gearbox - so I wouldn't be too worried. Plus, they either fix it "like new" or you'll have problems again and then they'll replace the entire tranny.

As for the loaner, my thoughts are if you have a 3rd car then drive your own car and don't make an issue of it.

All makes/models have problems from time to time, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
See if you can switch the manual transmission fluid out with the GM Synchromesh. A lot of people who have gotten their MTF replaced said that the car shifts a whole lot better afterwards.

I, too, drive a stick and feel that 3rd is a bit rough or doesn't go in all the way. I still have yet to get my MTF replaced.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I think most dealerships have a policy that if they have your car for more than 2 hours, you get a loaner...the key word there is most . Numerous people here have said their dealer doesn't give loaners or gives rental cars as loaners . Frankly, I'm a little surprised they didn't offer you one given the circumstances. Maybe my dealer is good, but if it's for minor service (less than 2 hours) and I ask, I get one; if it's major (haven't had anything major, but have had over 2 hour rattle seek and destroys), they offer a loaner immediately. Regardless, ask for a loaner...take a TSX if you have to (I had to once), but you should get a TL since that's what you drive.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:15 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some dealerships will actually make it a point to have nothing but TSXs as loaners, which sucks for me. Its okay though.. If its for a significant amount of time, I'd probably demand more (TL or RL).
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I also feel that my 3rd gear doesn't engage cleanly sometimes. 3rd is the only gear that I sometimes have problems with.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

I have seen significant improvement in shifting on certain manual transmission vehicles when the transmission fluid is replaced with the correct synthetic product. Just be darn sure the fluid meets (or exceeds) the specs of the fluid spec'd by the vehicle's manufacturer!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many people have problems with 3rd gear, mostly when the car is cold.

Many people put in GM manual transmission fluid, friction modified, its thinner and seems to make the gear syncros work.

The adjustment the dealer made may have (likely did) cause your serious problem.

Most people change to the GM stuff and have no more problems, some have just drained and refilled the trans with new honda mtf and had things get much better.

I would guess the dealer screwed up your trans with the adjustment.

My wife loves a manual transmission, and drives it better then I do.

Brett
Old 03-10-2006, 08:52 PM
malacanyang palace

It happen to me that i bought my 05 TL month of Oct. and notice the 3rd gear issue., went to a dealer to check this problem right now i have 3000 miles on this car., so they check the car and they told me to leave the car for one day., so i did. my advisor called me end of the day the car is fixed. i picked up my car and i was surpised my clutch is so soft when you stepped on it and accelerate fast shift to 3rd gear is easy now than before.advisor told me they replace the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate,and pilot bearing., plus they flushed old transmission fluid and filled the new one., so right now car run smoothly.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Get a loaner. The dealer has more incentive to get your car fixed quickly. Also, when you pick up your car, you just drop the loaner off at the same time. Less hassle than have to bring someone to pick up the car with you.

I don't have issue with 3rd gear or any gear on my 04TL. I have since (6K miles ago) changed to the GMFM, and it is shifting like "butter".
Old 03-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
I bought my '06 TL 4 weeks ago and noticed the day I brought it home that the back passenger-side black window bezel had been "knicked" by something and taken off the gloss and part of the silver paint of the car directly underneath during the detail phase. The individual responsible had attempted to touch it up with touch-up; however didn't bother with the bezel. I called my dealership (Lindsay Acura, Columbus) and they came to my work, dropped off a loaner TL to replace the bezel--which lasted about 6 hours--and then dropped off another loaner TL when the body shop did the work on the paint--one day of work. They were great, and I feel that stepping into an Acura-level vehicle warrants this kind of service--which I didn't even have to ask for. They should have offered a loaner TL, without question.