Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Told Engine Ping Is Characteristic For Tl

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Told Engine Ping Is Characteristic For Tl

HELP!!!!! I have a ping, knocking or rattle noise when I accelerate. I have auto...when it shifts from first to second it rattles then from second to third and to fourth. This is around 2000-3000 rpms. An example is: you are going 35 and you step on the gas a little to speed up and it rattles. If you press hard it doesn't. It is loud and getting louder. I have had it in the shop three times. The rep for this area says all three of his TL's have made the same noise. DOES ANYONE ELSE EVER HEAR THIS NOISE...I have spoken with Acura twice and they say it is characteristic of this car...I can't believe Acura would make a car that makes this much noise. It is so loud it is embarraing in traffic..Since this is my first Acura I am very disappointed...HELP
Old 08-04-2004, 04:02 PM
dumber than a box of hair

Originally Posted by gary1981
HELP!!!!! I have a ping, knocking or rattle noise when I accelerate. I have auto...when it shifts from first to second it rattles then from second to third and to fourth. This is around 2000-3000 rpms. An example is: you are going 35 and you step on the gas a little to speed up and it rattles. If you press hard it doesn't. It is loud and getting louder. I have had it in the shop three times. The rep for this area says all three of his TL's have made the same noise. DOES ANYONE ELSE EVER HEAR THIS NOISE...I have spoken with Acura twice and they say it is characteristic of this car...I can't believe Acura would make a car that makes this much noise. It is so loud it is embarraing in traffic..Since this is my first Acura I am very disappointed...HELP
Pinging, assuming you're using the correct grade of gasoline and the engine computer is working properly, is definitely NOT normal on the TL. What's worse is that by the time you can hear it, engine damage is already being done.

Baby the car and take it to another dealer if you can. Also, make sure you're using gasoline of at least 91 octane, and that it's not diluted.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is wrong...pinning is definately not right with a Honda engine...even using the wrong octane fuel...the computer should adjust to prevent the knocking....get your car to the dealer ASAP to prevent any damage to the engine.....pinging is serious...and should be fixed before it does any serious damage to your engine.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:50 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

This is not a normal thing. I got AM 5AT.. and quiet. just the beauty of its exhaust... other than that.. just the clump feeling from the ABS every morning. BUT ITS NOT NORMAL WATT YOU HAVE>>. you have been putting premium gas right?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The service rep is definitely lying. Mine's an automatic and no clicks or pings at all. Also check to see if it's the A/C compressor. I would tell the person who told you that to show you a demo car that's making the same noise. From your explanation, no car should ever be making a noise like that. They should at least try to localize the noise by sticking it on a dyno or lift and listen to where the noise is coming from. That rep is doing some shady business if you asked me.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:45 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Is the noise coming from the engine or from the exhaust? I can hear a very very very slight noise at around 3k RPMs if I listen closely, but from the exhaust.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Light pinging will not hurt the engine, but it is not normal. Either the EKS (engine knock sensor) is defective, or some other frequency is cancelling it out (doubtful).

It could be the ECM is messed up* - have you noticed any other driveability problems?

*All ECM's have a "limp home mode" that reverts back to pre-programmed, static fuel and spark curves. This allows the car to be driven until it can be brought in for service. You need to get that car to a Honda or Acura dealer pronto, as prolonged light pinging may do damage, and certainly is not right.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gary1981
HELP!!!!! I have a ping, knocking or rattle noise when I accelerate.
I have had three Acura's, 1-Legend & 2-TLs, and soon I will be in my 4th Acura; another TL. At NO TIME have I ever experienced any pinging from the engine; never. This is highly uncharacteristic of the 6 cylinder Acura engines. There is no way would I allow an Acura Service Rep. to tell me this was normal; I know better.

Listen to what the people in this thread are telling you!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Racer

Had some what of a similar situation; A very slight ping at mild acceleration (up a slight incline usually), but never under heavy acceleration. This was during break-in period and slightly there after. I always used the highest octane gas available. Finally I tried switching brands and the ping seemed to go away (switched from exxon to amoco).

I always wonder about the summer blend oxygenated gas and what effect it really has on a car. I certainly have noticed a slight drop in gas mileage when I fill up in the metro area.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JPSMAN
Had some what of a similar situation; A very slight ping at mild acceleration (up a slight incline usually), but never under heavy acceleration. This was during break-in period and slightly there after. I always used the highest octane gas available. Finally I tried switching brands and the ping seemed to go away (switched from exxon to amoco).

I always wonder about the summer blend oxygenated gas and what effect it really has on a car. I certainly have noticed a slight drop in gas mileage when I fill up in the metro area.
That urban gas stinks - it provides less heat output per unit of volume, and therefore, less power. You use more fuel as a result, and that probably leads to a wash in t terms of air pollution. And the alcohols used tooxygenate make nasty deposits - in the fall or when the gas gets better in your area, run a quality injector cleaner (see The RR Journals for some suggestions).
Old 08-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the replys...here is a little additional info...I have only used the right gas and tired several types... A few months back someone mentioned that Acura sent a team to find the noise in his engine..they conclucded it had a loose heat shied and it wasn't crimped right. I took that info to them last time and they still said that the noise is characteristic for this engine and doesn't effect the performance. I will go test drive others..I do live 60 miles from the nearest dealership....once again any help is appreciated and enjoy your quite engines.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

thats heat shield in previous post.....and I will ask them about the EKS..I dont have any other issues...