Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL is way better than BMW 330XI!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nikko
handling = description of the way the car performs, particularly during cornering.
So as long as we don't take corners or "handle" the car, the BMW 525/530 is worth purchasing for $10-15k more because the "quality is better" and we only drive in straight lines to get that "smooth and composed" feel.

Please, guys......maybe you should go take a debate class.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always get a kick out of these "mine is better than....." threads.

Human nature seems to invariably dictate that a person acquire what he can afford, or justify, and then defend it vehemently. This usually entails attempting to convince others that their subjective judgements are absolute, objective fact. My life experience (and training) has led me to understand that this behavior is typically rooted in a need to justify something that they fear will be considered inferior, lesser or wrong in other's eyes. It also seems that when people are content with themselves, they no longer find all of this defense behavior necessary.

People should make their decisions based upon their own honest feelings & values, whether that be a need for "monetary value" (i.e. "mine is bigger, better, faster and it cost $10K less") or a desire for "pleasure value" (i.e. "I enjoy the finer things in life, simply for the individual pleasure it provides"). But if that were the case, this internet "village square" that has evolved wouldn't be so much fun, would it?

Oh, by the way, I own an '04 TL and an '06 330i. Do I compare them to each other? Of course. Am I interested in other's comparisons? Not really. Each of these cars is a very fine example of what they are meant to be. Does one of them convey to me a feeling of "one of the finer things in life"? You bet!

Pontification over. Now, back to the big debate........
Old 02-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CCogan
I always get a kick out of these "mine is better than....." threads.

Human nature seems to invariably dictate that a person acquire what he can afford, or justify, and then defend it vehemently. This usually entails attempting to convince others that their subjective judgements are absolute, objective fact. My life experience (and training) has led me to understand that this behavior is typically rooted in a need to justify something that they fear will be considered inferior, lesser or wrong in other's eyes. It also seems that when people are content with themselves, they no longer find all of this defense behavior necessary.

People should make their decisions based upon their own honest feelings & values, whether that be a need for "monetary value" (i.e. "mine is bigger, better, faster and it cost $10K less") or a desire for "pleasure value" (i.e. "I enjoy the finer things in life, simply for the individual pleasure it provides"). But if that were the case, this internet "village square" that has evolved wouldn't be so much fun, would it?

Oh, by the way, I own an '04 TL and an '06 330i. Do I compare them to each other? Of course. Am I interested in other's comparisons? Not really. Each of these cars is a very fine example of what they are meant to be. Does one of them convey to me a feeling of "one of the finer things in life"? You bet!

Pontification over. Now, back to the big debate........
Very well put.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Intermediate

I have driven the TL, 330i, 525i and 530i. I love the TL, it is a great value. It looks sporty, has a great interior, and it is fast! But, it is not a BMW. BMW's command a price premium and get a price premium, because they do what they do the best. They are a true drivers car in terms of gripping the road, banking a turn, making a uturn, carving up a canyon, etc..

My favorite of all the cars has been the 330i, the driving experience is unreal! You can take any road and carve it up with the 330i, plus the ride is quiet in the cabin, and pretty smooth. The 525i contrary to some of the opinions in here is pretty powerful. It h as great pickup, nice room, and handles in true BMW fashion. Now, is it as fast as the TL in a straight line, nope! Does it take turns better, yep! Is it a better drive than the TL, in my opinion, yes. What I own one, yes! Now, the 530i can flat out move, it is very fast. I would say equal to the TL in straight line acceleration. In terms of carving up a canyon or taking turns, no contest; the 530i is King. Would I want to own one, yep! Are they expensive, YES! Worth it, if you have the money, absolutely!

Now, does the fact I love BMW's and believe they are the best handling car in the market make the TL a bad car? NOPE! I love the TL, and I am proud to own one! Is the TL less than the BMW, YES! Do you save money buying a TL, YES! Is it a better value than BMW, YES! Is it a better car than a 330i, 525i, or 530i, NOPE!

One last note, I think we all tend to get caught up in horsepower wars, and 0-60 times, myself included. I love to gun the car just like the next guy, but reality dictates that most horsepower is never used. How many speeding tickets do you want? Do you really want to be a punk street racer? It is a felony if you get caught, no thank you. Furthermore, if you have the need for speed, and if speed is the ultimate then the TL, 330i, 525i, and 530i do not cut it; NOT even close. We all need to buy an M5, Porsche 911, Aston Martin, etc.......
Old 02-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by WooBah
I have driven the TL, 330i, 525i and 530i. I love the TL, it is a great value. It looks sporty, has a great interior, and it is fast! But, it is not a BMW. BMW's command a price premium and get a price premium, because they do what they do the best. They are a true drivers car in terms of gripping the road, banking a turn, making a uturn, carving up a canyon, etc..

My favorite of all the cars has been the 330i, the driving experience is unreal! You can take any road and carve it up with the 330i, plus the ride is quiet in the cabin, and pretty smooth. The 525i contrary to some of the opinions in here is pretty powerful. It h as great pickup, nice room, and handles in true BMW fashion. Now, is it as fast as the TL in a straight line, nope! Does it take turns better, yep! Is it a better drive than the TL, in my opinion, yes. What I own one, yes! Now, the 530i can flat out move, it is very fast. I would say equal to the TL in straight line acceleration. In terms of carving up a canyon or taking turns, no contest; the 530i is King. Would I want to own one, yep! Are they expensive, YES! Worth it, if you have the money, absolutely!

Now, does the fact I love BMW's and believe they are the best handling car in the market make the TL a bad car? NOPE! I love the TL, and I am proud to own one! Is the TL less than the BMW, YES! Do you save money buying a TL, YES! Is it a better value than BMW, YES! Is it a better car than a 330i, 525i, or 530i, NOPE!

One last note, I think we all tend to get caught up in horsepower wars, and 0-60 times, myself included. I love to gun the car just like the next guy, but reality dictates that most horsepower is never used.
I feel about the same. I am happy with a 184HP cart that does 0-60mph in 7s.

I love the TL package, but BMW offers without a doubt a superior driving experience.

I see two minuses on the TL. Slight torque steer which is non existent on the BMW. And more resistance/less precision in sudden changes of path.

I am not impressed by the TL durability of interior trim and paint, but I sure love the styling.

The E90 doesn't make it without 18" and walnut trim interiors. A great thing with BMW is aftermarket support. You can get 18" type 162 Replicas for 650$.
http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/wheels/euro/bmw/59475.html
Old 02-17-2006, 10:14 AM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by WooBah

One last note, I think we all tend to get caught up in horsepower wars, and 0-60 times, myself included. I love to gun the car just like the next guy, but reality dictates that most horsepower is never used. How many speeding tickets do you want? Do you really want to be a punk street racer? It is a felony if you get caught, no thank you. Furthermore, if you have the need for speed, and if speed is the ultimate then the TL, 330i, 525i, and 530i do not cut it; NOT even close. We all need to buy an M5, Porsche 911, Aston Martin, etc.......

Very well put!