3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs TSX ..... how different are they ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:00 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal preference is just that - it varies from person to person.

Performance numbers are concrete. The TL, whether or not the individual in question finds it engaging to drive or is turned off by it, is simply superior in the handling department.

And I'm apparently stupid.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I own booth

I own both 2005 tl and 2006 tsx. I like both cars but they are different. The Tl is more powerful and smoother. The ride is much nicer. The TSX is very fun to drive, but takes more work. The TL is like sitting in my livingroom. The tsx is like having fun in the basement. The feel and quaility of the TL is much better. Saying all that, I am glad I did not have to choose.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:13 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I posted Friday, I hadn't quite gathered all my thoughts on my loaner 06 TSX...but while I drove the car back to the dealership...I noticed something very familiar to me....just about everything in the TSX's interior was what I had in my 2004 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/ navi. The exact steering wheel (minus the "H"), the exact perforated leather seating, identical buttons for mirrors, sunroof, etc. The audio was probably even the same as the Accord since they both read "Premium Audio System". The only thing I did notice different was the audio buttons and multi-information display.

Again, just my observation and opinion. But for me, I have gone over and over and over again in my mind whether or not I made the right choice with the TL and I'm convinced that I did. I contemplated the TSX for about one moment during my trade-in, because it would have been cheaper and it was about the same as I paid for the Accord. I didn't see enough of a significant difference in the two to justify as it being a step up for me...which then kept me on the direct path of the TL. If I would have been stepping up from my Civic EX coupe (only 127hp), the TSX would have been the car for me.

No doubt, IMO, that the TSX is a cute and peppy car...but no threat to the TL.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
The TL and TSX are both excellent cars and excellent values at their respective price/feature points. They target different markets and different people with different needs. It's a tribute to the TSX that people are even comparing it to the TL, and a little ironic, that the TSX might be the TL's closest competitor. However, make no mistake, you get what you pay for by upgrading to the TL. I was thinking the TSX might be a little overpriced considering the minimal difference in price vs additional features you get in the TL. However, when I think both vehicles are at excellent price points compared to external competitors, the only conclusion I can come to is that the TSX is a great value in its class, and the TL is an excellent value in its class. If you like and can justify the extra power, luxury, and features in the TL then knock your socks off, otherwise the TSX is still an excellent choice.

/end thread
Old 03-20-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Tried them both

I initially decided on the 2004 TSX. Loved it, enjoyed it for the 6 months I had it before trading it in for the 2005 TL.

Really, though - they are both great cars - so it's just a matter of what your personal preferences and priorities are. For me, the TSX was initially the sensible choice, but I was overlooking the fact that I really appreciate the extra "cush" the TL offers.

Bottom line - my 30 mile commute (each way) to work has significantly improved since switching to the TL.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

i have a 06 tsx now as a loaner and to me its feels like a civic. I know the 6 spd ones are faster but at the end of the day the tsx looks better than how it performs so dont get the automatic one get the 6spd
Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
03Coupev6 is correct regarding the handling of the TSX and TL..

The TL in terms of absolute numbers beats the TSX. Thats a fact.

Now for opinions.. the TSX feels more engaging to drive and feels much lighter.
Sorry, Ken, I should've been clearer. My post is regarding 03CoupeV6's incessant insistence that the USDM Accord and TSX are nothing more than carbon copies of one another. He's been clubbing TSX owners over the head with this vitriol for quite a while now.

As far as the TL is concerned, it may well beat out the TSX in skid pad and slalom numbers, but in real world driving I found it to be soft and floaty compared to the TSX. It also feels much more nose-heavy in turns. Granted I only had two test drives in the 6 MT version, but that is my impression of it.

All that said, I like the TL a lot, and the Accord for that matter. Stat sheet numbers don't don't always tell the whole story, do they?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by honda_inspire99
i have a 06 tsx now as a loaner and to me its feels like a civic. I know the 6 spd ones are faster but at the end of the day the tsx looks better than how it performs so dont get the automatic one get the 6spd
Sorry, ridiculous comments like the TSX "feels like a Civic" blow what little credibility you had right out of the water. Cleary, what you value in an automobile is raw straight-line speed.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6

Citing the facts (to the chagrin of TSX owners) does not make one "irretrievably stupid". The TSX is a nice little car, but this thread was about the TL, as well - and the performance of the TL is superior. I fail to see how this could be perceived as "stupid"

I see no need for personal attacks.
Oh, you more than had it coming. In your delusional little world, an excellent automobile manufacturer like Honda doesn't know it's a_ _hole from a hole in the ground. They are so moronic as to create two cars, at different price points, with exactly the same driving charateristics.

Further, they even more stupidly view the car buying public as being so easily duped that they will buy the more expensive car, even though it is exactly the same as the less expensive car, and be clueless to the "fact" that there are no apprecialble differences between the two vehicles. Presumably they do this just to be able to say they own a "premium" brand.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Your opinion of the TSX's driving dynamics runs counter to the opinions of virtually every automotive authourity out there, not to mention the opinions of enthusiast drivers who actually own the car.

I place far more value in Honda's ability to manufacture and market cars than I do in your ability to evaluate them.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:00 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by waTSX
Oh, you more than had it coming. In your delusional little world, an excellent automobile manufacturer like Honda doesn't know it's a_ _hole from a hole in the ground. They are so moronic as to create two cars, at different price points, with exactly the same driving charateristics.
Please point me to where I ever implied that Honda was not an excellent automobile maker? The only thing I have said is that personally, I see no benefit of a TSX over a USDM Accord V6. Having had 5 TSX's for a span of 5 weeks as loaner vehicles while also owning an 05 Accord EX-V6 coupe I was able to closely compare the TSX to the Accord. My conclusions were as follows:

1) The TSX has no build quality advantage.
2) The TSX has a horsepower/torque disadvantage (obviously).
3) The TSX doesn't "feel" that different than the Accord V6, of which is shares COUNTLESS mechanicals and switchgear with.

And most importantly

4) The Honda Accord is an icon in the world of automobiles, and being such a close derivative of the Accord is a huge benefit of the TSX, as it represents a smaller package with a few more features.

My main complaint with the TSX is the engine that comes with it for the same price of the Accord with a much more potent V6. These are MY opinions, and you have your's. I don't think your opinions make you stupid, and if you are unable to accept differing opinions - that would be your problem, not mine.

Further, they even more stupidly view the car buying public as being so easily duped that they will buy the more expensive car, even though it is exactly the same as the less expensive car, and be clueless to the "fact" that there are no apprecialble differences between the two vehicles. Presumably they do this just to be able to say they own a "premium" brand.
You miss the point of everything I've ever said in regard to the TSX "versus" arguments, be them for the TL or the Accord V6. The TSX caters to a different buyer than the Accord, however, that does not make it superior in every way. Specs and performance numbers prove this. It's a different category, the only thing I have ever done to offend TSX owners like yourself was defend the USDM Accord when your fellow owners on the TSX side attacked it for being "a boat" or "too common" or implying that the Accord's driving dynamics are subpar in comparison to the TSX. Should someone cross-shop the two, there are few shortcomings of either.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Your opinion of the TSX's driving dynamics runs counter to the opinions of virtually every automotive authourity out there, not to mention the opinions of enthusiast drivers who actually own the car.
My opinions seem to line up well with what I've read. In Car and Driver's Feb. 06 comparison "Everyday Heroes" the Accord finishes over the TSX. Every review I've read says that the TSX needs more power. What am I missing? I've driven the TSX enough to form this opinion.

I place far more value in Honda's ability to manufacture and market cars than I do in your ability to evaluate them.
You are preaching to the choir. I am an extremely loyal Honda owner with utmost respect for Honda as the automaker who does things "different". The fact Honda does stuff their own way is an endearing trait to me. If you think I'm on Acurazine to "put down" any of their products, you are wrong. I am the first to defend them in many cases. That being said, however, I am realistic - none of them are perfect, including the TSX.. to me, though, that doesn't make it any less appealing as an automobile.

So do us all a favor and keep your personal attacks to yourself.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

Sorry, ridiculous comments like the TSX "feels like a Civic" blow what little credibility you had right out of the water. Cleary, what you value in an automobile is raw straight-line speed.
man chill in no way i was degrading the tsx i meant to me it just felt smaller and slower than the TL....Like i said in my previous post i know the 6spd would feel much better performance wise but i have a automatic and to me its weak
Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
VSA Rocks

3) The TSX doesn't "feel" that different than the Accord V6, of which is shares COUNTLESS mechanicals and switchgear with.
My main complaint with the TSX is the engine that comes with it for the same price of the Accord with a much more potent V6. These are MY opinions, and you have your's. I don't think your opinions make you stupid, and if you are unable to accept differing opinions - that would be your problem, not mine.
Please do yourself a favor and view this. Temple of VTEC, who happens to be an reputable reviewer of Honda cars thinks otherwise on your fantasy of the whole TSX vs. Accord.
http://video.vtec.net/03/tsx_accord_...tsx_drive1.mpg

Pay attention how the TSX really has to back off several instances due to the understeer and overall balance of the Accord Coupe V6.

In addition, I wonder if you have even tracked cars before? I'd have to presume that the answer is "no" due to the fact you can't think beyond skidpad number and HP-to-weight. When you drive a car like the Integra Type R (DC2) or even S2000, you'll know that their skidpad numbers don't do them justice. The same applies to the TSX. Temple of VTEC even refers to the TSX as the "funnest" to drive of the entire Acura lineup.
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=514370

In a straight line, the $33000 TL (with 32 less hp and only a 3.2L motor) will run away and hide from the RL. In most driving conditions, the TSX is the most rewarding of the three to drive.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:53 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Please do yourself a favor and view this. Temple of VTEC, who happens to be an reputable reviewer of Honda cars thinks otherwise on your fantasy of the whole TSX vs. Accord.
http://video.vtec.net/03/tsx_accord_...tsx_drive1.mpg

Pay attention how the TSX really has to back off several instances due to the understeer and overall balance of the Accord Coupe V6.

In addition, I wonder if you have even tracked cars before? I'd have to presume that the answer is "no" due to the fact you can't think beyond skidpad number and HP-to-weight. When you drive a car like the Integra Type R (DC2) or even S2000, you'll know that their skidpad numbers don't do them justice. The same applies to the TSX. Temple of VTEC even refers to the TSX as the "funnest" to drive of the entire Acura lineup.
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=514370

I've read all that before. Please pay attention. I said that it didn't feel all that different to me. Perhaps if my commute was a winding backroad that I drove and pushed the car to its limits every day, I would notice. In the real world, though, I found the V6 to be the engine suited to my driving more than the agility of the TSX is. If the TSX is better suited to you, kudos to you for finding the right car for you. That doesn't make it the right car for everyone. This thread was to help someone decide between the TL and TSX. My opinion is that the power of the TL's V6 is more usable in everyday driving than the agility or compact feel of the TSX. My

Your opinion may vary.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Sorry, ridiculous comments like the TSX "feels like a Civic" blow what little credibility you had right out of the water. .
And who made you the foremost expert on cars? Its an opinion Just like you have of the TSX, he has one.

And here is mine. The TSX is slow. You have to drive it like you stole it (just like the civic) to get its maximum potential out of it. Does that mean its a bad car No.
Its small. The interior has no room in it for tall people.
Its price for its size and power is Way too much.
The TL is a better deal. Its more useable in daily driving, larger interior (fits tall people better) and its price isnt that much more than the TSX which to me makes it a far better car than the TSX.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro

Perhaps if my commute was a winding backroad that I drove and pushed the car to its limits every day, I would notice. In the real world, though, I found the V6 to be the engine suited to my driving more than the agility of the TSX is. If the TSX is better suited to you, kudos to you for finding the right car for you. That doesn't make it the right car for everyone. This thread was to help someone decide between the TL and TSX.
Originally Posted by tponti
Bottom line - my 30 mile commute (each way) to work has significantly improved since switching to the TL.

Well, my current commute is 30 miles each way, over a mountain and through the woods. Soon to become 40 miles, alongside the mountain and through even more and twistier woods. This is because I will be modifying my route - to be longer, take longer, and much windier (and best of all, less traffic/other people (idiots) to have to share the road with) - to get the best enjoyment out of my car twice a day. I will have to leave home earlier, arrive back later, spend more on gas, put more miles on the car, and take the much more indirect path between points A and B on the days that I'll be driving the TSX to and from work. That's why I picked a TSX. And overnight blasts through the woods, when the only other idiots on the road to worry about are the deer. You can talk all you want, I'll walk my walk.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:51 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And who made you the foremost expert on cars? Its an opinion Just like you have of the TSX, he has one.

And here is mine. The TSX is slow. You have to drive it like you stole it (just like the civic) to get its maximum potential out of it. Does that mean its a bad car No.
The TL is a better deal. Its more useable in daily driving, larger interior (fits tall people better) and its price isnt that much more than the TSX which to me makes it a far better car than the TSX.

The quickest turnoff to the TSX is a visit to the TSX forum on Acurazine, IMO. Way too much fanboy bias and too little basic understanding about the car.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:19 PM
VSA Rocks

The quickest turnoff to the TSX is a visit to the TSX forum on Acurazine, IMO. Way too much fanboy bias and too little basic understanding about the car.
LOL. And I'd be interested to know what "little basic understanding" I'd have about the car. Hmmm. Would we happen to have so little understanding that a few members have even created their own mods?

What a surprise -- people on the TSX forum that have bias toward the --- what ? would it happen to be the TSX? What a surprise?

And you know what? If you go on the Type R forums on Honda-tech.com, do you think there might be an ounce of bias toward the ITR?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

There's a difference between bias that will come along with owning and being a member of a particular automotive forum, and "fanboy bias" as I said - where the owner believes his or her car is the absolute best on the road.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

There's a difference between bias that will come along with owning and being a member of a particular automotive forum, and "fanboy bias" as I said - where the owner believes his or her car is the absolute best on the road.
Like i said before compare to the TL the tsx is weak, comparing the 6spd to tsx to the type s rsx is more realistic. since its the "d door integra/rsx"
Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

Originally Posted by honda_inspire99
Like i said before compare to the TL the tsx is weak, comparing the 6spd to tsx to the type s rsx is more realistic. since its the "4 door integra/rsx"
i meant "4 door integra/rsx"
Old 03-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Have camera, will travel

Oh, I'm no expert. Neither are you. Again, my beef with CoupeV6 is his comparisons of the ACCORD TO THE TSX, NOT THE TL. I like the TL and have no problems with it at all. I like the Accord, too.

The interior is too small? I'm 6'1" and 215 and have no trouble at all fitting in my TSX. So, I guess you're just wrong on that one.

TSX is slow? Maybe by your stoplight drag queen standards, but I drive the car all the time and in no way find it slow. In fact I find it to be very entertaining. Sure the TL and Accord have more power. So what? Enjoy your torque steer.

The TSX isn't a bad car? My, how gracious of you! For you to call a car almost universally praised by the automotive community "not bad" is a joke.

Now who's the expert?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Have camera, will travel

I've read all that before. Please pay attention. I said that it didn't feel all that different to me. Perhaps if my commute was a winding backroad that I drove and pushed the car to its limits every day, I would notice. In the real world, though, I found the V6 to be the engine suited to my driving more than the agility of the TSX is. If the TSX is better suited to you, kudos to you for finding the right car for you. That doesn't make it the right car for everyone. This thread was to help someone decide between the TL and TSX. My opinion is that the power of the TL's V6 is more usable in everyday driving than the agility or compact feel of the TSX. My

Your opinion may vary.
Ah, so now it all becomes clear. While Black_6spd, myself and other enthusiast drivers are defining our cars by enthusiast standards, you, 03CoupeV6, define a car by how if feels when you tool up to the local pharmacy to pick up another bottle of Geritol! Or when you're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic! How utilitarian of you. And absolutely BORING!

For 03CoupeV6 automobile = toaster. Does that sound about right?

See, the only problem was we needed to define our terms! By your definition, the Accord is indeed the superior auto.

You win!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Have camera, will travel

Right, and based on your little one month experience with an AT TSX, you know it all. Sweet. Fanboy my ass.

03CoupeV6 =
Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

Right, and based on your little one month experience with an AT TSX, you know it all. Sweet. Fanboy my ass.

03CoupeV6 =
this thread is getting funny as hell by the hour lol....The tsx is a great car but like i said comparing it to the TL is unfair. I love the tsx except the automatic ones.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 PM
9th Gear

TL or TSX

Well we have both in our family (wife-06 TL and me with a 06 TSX) so here are my thoughts. I love the TL. I like the lines of it better than the TSX and I like the power of it. The interior is super nice but I don't like it any better than the TSX. I like the size of the TSX better. I know its not all that much smaller than the TL but it looks like it is. While its only a 4 cyl it runs very well if you drive it right (keep it in the power band it it runs great) if not then it runs just fine around town without taking it to 7K RPM. Both are great cars.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
VSA Rocks

Yeah, I know what you mean. Have you been to E46fanatics.com? Or even clubrsx.com? As an owner of a DC2 Integra who is also a member of honda-tech.com, I'd have to say that based on my observations, the TSX forums here on AZ is rather tame compared to those mentioned. In fact, I've even seen a few instances where your beloved TL were labeled as a boat, a soccer mom car, a FWD muscle car, etc on the E46 boards when newbies cross-shop the E46 against the TL.

And -- just as a suggestion, you really should let the whole "TSX vs. Anything" go. It's quite obvious the simple notion of a TSX owner appreciating their car has gotten under your skin. While I'm sure you'll try to deny it, your countless posts including the one in this thread where you spent 1 hour writing it prove otherwise.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Wow.. TSX Haters.. Well, you really need to drive both cars to see which one you prefer. I like the looks of the TSX more, but they are both great cars. If you like a big and powerful car, then get the TL. As for me, the TL may have more power but the drive was boring as hell for me. For me, the TSX was a lot more fun to drive.
Exactly - that's what test drives are for!! My friend has a TSX, and it's a nice car, very fun to drive, and you definitely have to row through the gears to access the power.

He likes to drive my TL occasionally, and I enjoy the TSX occasionally. Both cars are great in my book!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The interior is too small? I'm 6'1" and 215 and have no trouble at all fitting in my TSX. So, I guess you're just wrong on that one.
I've got to side with waTSX on this one. I'm 6'5" with shoes on and there's plenty of room for my head and my knees in a TSX. As a counter, I have a 6'4" friend whose right knee rubs on the side of the dash when he drives his TL.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
04 NBP 6MT

I like the TSX. I went to the Acura dealership to buy one after I totaled my RSX Type-S. I own a TL because I got a deal on an '04 off that came in off a lease and cost as much as the '06 TSX I test drove. The TL is probably the biggest car I would ever drive, but the power from the V6 sold me.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by your_mom
... The TL is probably the biggest car I would ever drive, but the power from the V6 sold me.
Ditto on that.

...when I was getting ready to buy the TL, I did a side-by-side comparison to my "then" current car, the 04 Accord Coupe v6 6MT...and one of the things that actually sold me on the TL was that even though it was a sedan...it was literally only 2 inches longer and no wider than my Accord Coupe. So IMO, I just don't exactly consider the TL to be a "large" vehicle; midsize, yes. But, not large. And to prove just that...I am 5'1"...so if it were a "large" vehicle (e.g. Chrysler 300 that is actually larger; 7.5" in length and 12.1" in wheelbase) ...I wouldn't even be able to drive the thing! Hell, I'd be running over people!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Race Director

Where do you see a lot of Japanese people who are 6'5? Not trying to stereotype
anyone, but since the TSX is a JDM and Euro Accord, Honda of Japan thought of themselves first when they designed the JDM Accord/TSX. The interior room was designed I guess to fit the needs of the Japanese. The TSX was just shipped here cause Acura neede a car to replace the Integra sedan. I'm not sure as to why Honda of Europe didn't want to to use our USDM Accord as their Accord too, but I guess since the roads are narrow in Europe they thought the JDM Accord made more sense.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Racer

Honestly, reading all these posts will make you crazy. It all comes down to what you like and what your willing to sacrifice/gain from your car. I own a tsx. It's not the fastest thing on earth. I drove the TL first, then the tsx. I like how nimble it feels(whether it really is or not, I don't know) comared to the TL. I liked the power of the tl and most of the intierior better. But I like the gauge cluster better in the tsx. Bottom line, don't keep up with the jones, test drive both, buy what you like. It's your cash...
Old 03-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Racer

Oh, I'm no expert. Neither are you. Again, my beef with CoupeV6 is his comparisons of the ACCORD TO THE TSX, NOT THE TL. I like the TL and have no problems with it at all. I like the Accord, too.

TSX is slow? Maybe by your stoplight drag queen standards, but I drive the car all the time and in no way find it slow. In fact I find it to be very entertaining. Sure the TL and Accord have more power. So what? Enjoy your torque steer.

The TSX isn't a bad car? My, how gracious of you! For you to call a car almost universally praised by the automotive community "not bad" is a joke.

Now who's the expert?

I own both a 05 TSX and a 05 tl, both are great cars but really there is no comparison,the TL is a completely different beast.

sounds like somebody is a little jealous ???
Old 03-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

Originally Posted by simont53
I own both a 05 TSX and a 05 tl, both are great cars but really there is no comparison,the TL is a completely different beast.

Perhaps just a wee bit...!

I for one have driven both and own a TL and I find it to be a far superior car. The TSX is a little more nimble-feeling, I think, but it is a heck of a lot smaller, both engine-wise and compartment-wise. I'm a big guy (over 6'3") so a TSX never would have made me happy, just for the sake of honesty!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by simont53

Re-read the post. I'm discussing the TSX V. Accord. Jealousy over a car? Please. If I wanted a TL, I'd buy one.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Race Director

Haha I bet you no one ever thinks of comparing a TSX vs. RL at all.