Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX -- Guys who have middle class jobs,
TL - Men in their 30's who already have a family, good job, and no morgage
RL - Hustlers, Drug Dealers, Real Estate Agents,
Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess all the TL owners got a chance to drive the TSX when their TL was in shop...probably to fix all the rattles!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Anyone have actual numbers such as steady state cornering, slalom, etc on both cars? I have a feeling this is another case of the smaller car "feeling" like it corners better when in reality the TL is probably right there or better than the TSX.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Anyone have actual numbers such as steady state cornering, slalom, etc on both cars? I have a feeling this is another case of the smaller car "feeling" like it corners better when in reality the TL is probably right there or better than the TSX.
Consumer Reports has the same slalom speed for both cars (listed as accident avoidance, max MPH) and this is 52.5 MPH. So I would say real-world handling is very similar. I put the comptech rear sway bar on mine and have no problems with staying with tsx's on the curves.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Consumer Reports has the same slalom speed for both cars (listed as accident avoidance, max MPH) and this is 52.5 MPH. So I would say real-world handling is very similar. I put the comptech rear sway bar on mine and have no problems with staying with tsx's on the curves.
That's pretty much what I thought. Smaller cars usually feel like they handle better when in reality they don't.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

yea thats true.. unless they are lowerd... with a nice suspension.. them ur askin for it
Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NVMYT
I guess all the TL owners got a chance to drive the TSX when their TL was in shop...probably to fix all the rattles!
The major reason I went from a TSX 6-speed manual to an automatic TL-S is because my wife wanted me to get an automatic. No one else in the family wants a manual transmission. Yes I miss the fun part of driving the TSX; both the nimbleness and the 6-speed. But I do not miss the rattles in the TSX. There are NO rattles in my TL-S and I would not go back. The TL-S is a much better built car than the TSX.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Tsx Is An Accord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tl_dinhsum84
A Tsx Is An Accord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So is a TL. They're all based on the same platform. The TL, in fact, shares parts with the USDM Accord. The TL is probably more closely related to the USDM Accord than the TSX.

A TSX is my daily driver but I'm in a TL several days a week.

Those of you who claim there is a big difference in interior quality are simply not being objective. I see no difference at all in MATERIAL QUALITY. The TL does avoid a few of the ergonomic "gotchas" in the TSX though. The TSX's nav seems to absorb more of the controls. Overall, they're both very nice interiors and I wouldn't really give the edge to either.

In terms of rattles etc, I don't buy the idea that the TSX is screwed together more tightly than the TSX simply because the TSX is built in Japan. We don't have rattles in EITHER car.

Handling difference is also overrated, IMO. I agree with those who think it comes down to size. The TSX is a little more nimble, simply because it is smaller and lighter.

Ride quality is slightly better in the TL, but I don't see this a huge issue. It just seems a little less busy on the highway.

Acceleration? Big difference there, but neither has a huge amount of torque down low. The TL is fast though and the TSX is simply OK. This is the main issue to me.

I know the TL has a much bigger engine but we've not seen a huge difference in MPG. And, incidently, Consumer Reports found very similar real world MPG for both vehicles.

The TSX has a larger, more usuable trunk, with fold down seats. For me, that is a big deal because I lead an "active" lifestyle and I often have to fold down the seats to haul a bike, etc.

I personally feel that the TL is a better value overall, but I like the looks of the TSX slightly better and appreciate the fold down rear seats (to me a big issue, but I understand this is not an issue for everybody).

Both nice cars that are at the top of their respective classes.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Clearly the TSX is no match for the TL. The TL outperforms the TSX in almost every way except for gas mileage. But there are alot of things to consider when deciding to buy a car like height for instance. Im 6"3 and 200 pounds and i could never ever fit into a TSX like i do in my TL-S.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
So is a TL. They're all based on the same platform. The TL, in fact, shares parts with the USDM Accord. The TL is probably more closely related to the USDM Accord than the TSX.

Those of you who claim there is a big difference in interior quality are simply not being objective. I see no difference at all in MATERIAL QUALITY. The TL does avoid a few of the ergonomic "gotchas" in the TSX though. The TSX's nav seems to absorb more of the controls. Overall, they're both very nice interiors and I wouldn't really give the edge to either.
Only the USDM accord though. The TSX is the euro accord.

As for the difference in interior quality..... Its hard to put a bullet point list of objective things, but the is no question that the interior of the TL just feels like a much more expensive car. Even before driving the TSX, I noticed that difference the instant I sat in it.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VersaceVietPrince
TSX -- Guys who have middle class jobs,
TL - Men in their 30's who already have a family, good job, and no morgage
RL - Hustlers, Drug Dealers, Real Estate Agents,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Banned

Now I would Get a TSX only if it was Turbo or Supercharged...now that would probably own a TL
Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by XxAfG786xX
LMAO ... I have a old guy (who never seems to be happy & rarely say hello to anyone here in the building) driving a RL and I was thinking to myself that I would never drive the same car as he does !

I always park kind of far away from the rest of the crowd, but lately I find this RL is creeping closer to my spot ...

AWD is nice but here in Nor Cal, with no snow and rarely raining, type-s can hold fort pretty well ...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Racer

darth62 not to clown on you but i sold hondas and acuras and ive bein with them for 3 years and no way a tl is close to an accord, and the body of the tl is alot more solid then tsx you go get both them cars and you compare the 2 of them thank you. but the tsx is aight its ok id get it if i was an acura buyer on a budget!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by geekybiker
Only the USDM accord though. The TSX is the euro accord.

As for the difference in interior quality..... Its hard to put a bullet point list of objective things, but the is no question that the interior of the TL just feels like a much more expensive car. Even before driving the TSX, I noticed that difference the instant I sat in it.
We all know the TSX is the Euro Accord. The TL, in turn, is built in Ohio alongside the USDM Accord and is basically a highly modified version of that car. So, to dismiss one car as an Accord and not the other is a bit silly. They're all related to the same platform. The TSX is the CL7 platform, and the TL and USDM Accord are based on the CL9 platform.

And, I respect your personal OPINION that the TL has nicer interior. But, I'm in both cars all the time and I don't see it. The material quality is nearly identical. The only real advantage to the TL is a slightly better control layout.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by tl_dinhsum84
darth62 not to clown on you but i sold hondas and acuras and ive bein with them for 3 years and no way a tl is close to an accord, and the body of the tl is alot more solid then tsx you go get both them cars and you compare the 2 of them thank you. but the tsx is aight its ok id get it if i was an acura buyer on a budget!!!
Sorry, but you are simply incorrect. The fact that the TL is closely derived from the USDM Accord is documented fact. Why do you think a new TL is introduced exactly one year after a new Accord is introduced?

"The first third generation Acura TL rolled off the assembly line on September 30, 2003. On October 6, 2003, the third generation Acura TL (the 3.2 moniker was dropped) was released for sale in North America. Developed mainly in the United States by a team led by Erik Berkman with bodywork penned by American Honda designer Jon Ikeda, the new TL is built in Marysville, Ohio, and is derived from the latest USDM Honda Accord. It is powered by a 270 hp (201 kW; later revised to 258 hp, based on the new SAE measurement standard for horsepower and 233 lb/ft of torque), 3.2 L 24 valve SOHC VTEC V6 engine mated to either a 5-speed automatic with SportShift or 6-speed manual."

And, I'd like to know what you mean by "the body of a new TL is more solid....". I've not seen any evidence that one body is more rigid than the other. In fact, I'd slightly expect the TSX to win simply because it is a tad smaller.

No offense, but you seem to be manufacturing a lot of facts to convince yourself that your car is better.

The TL has some significant advantages over the TSX (especially in the engine) but none of what you are saying here is even close to true.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by TLType-s12
Clearly the TSX is no match for the TL. The TL outperforms the TSX in almost every way except for gas mileage..
And, handling. I'd say it is close to even there for the base models, with an edge to the TSX (although not as big an edge as some suggest above).

Originally Posted by TLType-s12
But there are alot of things to consider when deciding to buy a car like height for instance. Im 6"3 and 200 pounds and i could never ever fit into a TSX like i do in my TL-S.
If you look at the actual numbers, the actual headroom in Acura vehicles is virtually identical in all their sedans. I'm not even sure there is a lot more real world legroom in the front. Big diff in the backseat though, and that may be an issue for some.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
8th Gear

My girl has a 08 TSX and I swear the sound system in it sounds better than my TL. The base in the TL is so drown out and only sounds good at low volumes and the TSX is deep and loud for stock. Plus my back shelf rattles like crazy. I also found her seats much softer and more comfortable but leather isnt as nice.

Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED
Nice review!

I had a TSX loaner just like ccreek and when one makes the side by side comparison there's a huge difference. The TSX has rattles, the interior isn't as nice, the sound system is inferior, no Bluetooth, it's slower, and just feels like a much cheaper automobile. I didn't think it handled "sportier".

That doesn't mean tha the TSX is a bad vehicle IMHO; it's an Acura and a very good car.

I dare not test drive the RL, for I may feel my TL is an inferior vehicle- 2 more years and my lease will be up!

greg
Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
I'd choose an Accord V-6 over the TSX myself. With navi and XM, the Accord is about the same price.
Same here. I used to have an AV6 and i now have a TL. i've driven the TSX a few times, the lack of power compared to the AV6 and TL is kidna unbarable for me sicne im so use to v6 pwr (yeah.. im spoiled ahah). TSX looks much better than the accord, and handles MUCH better too, but the lack of power is too much of a turn off now. the av6 understeers really bad, but im sure if you switch up the suspension, it would handle pretty well. so i too would go for the AV6 over the tsx.. but for sure the TL over the AV6, i mean different class, more power, looks way better, handles pretty decent for what it is.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Sorry, but you are simply incorrect. The fact that the TL is closely derived from the USDM Accord is documented fact. Why do you think a new TL is introduced exactly one year after a new Accord is introduced?

"The first third generation Acura TL rolled off the assembly line on September 30, 2003. On October 6, 2003, the third generation Acura TL (the 3.2 moniker was dropped) was released for sale in North America. Developed mainly in the United States by a team led by Erik Berkman with bodywork penned by American Honda designer Jon Ikeda, the new TL is built in Marysville, Ohio, and is derived from the latest USDM Honda Accord. It is powered by a 270 hp (201 kW; later revised to 258 hp, based on the new SAE measurement standard for horsepower and 233 lb/ft of torque), 3.2 L 24 valve SOHC VTEC V6 engine mated to either a 5-speed automatic with SportShift or 6-speed manual."

And, I'd like to know what you mean by "the body of a new TL is more solid....". I've not seen any evidence that one body is more rigid than the other. In fact, I'd slightly expect the TSX to win simply because it is a tad smaller.

No offense, but you seem to be manufacturing a lot of facts to convince yourself that your car is better.

The TL has some significant advantages over the TSX (especially in the engine) but none of what you are saying here is even close to true.

When i had the av6, i swapped the rear sway bar for the TL's rear sway bar.. cuase its the SAME CHASIS! same frame.. prob same engine only tuned-up (dont quote me on that, i mite be mistaken)

The TL is basically a tuned, and pimped out AV6.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

We all know the TSX is the Euro Accord. The TL, in turn, is built in Ohio alongside the USDM Accord and is basically a highly modified version of that car. So, to dismiss one car as an Accord and not the other is a bit silly. They're all related to the same platform. The TSX is the CL7 platform, and the TL and USDM Accord are based on the CL9 platform.

And, I respect your personal OPINION that the TL has nicer interior. But, I'm in both cars all the time and I don't see it. The material quality is nearly identical. The only real advantage to the TL is a slightly better control layout.
You misunderstand. Previously you seemed to be saying that the TSX was not a related product, and the TL was based on the accord. I know its based on the same platform. Sometimes that doesnt mean alot though. The Subaru forrester and impreza STi are both based on the same platform as well. Very different cars.

All I can say about the interior is if you're happy with the TSX, good for you. It not the material quality or build quality thats the real difference. Its the design. The TSX design feels very much like it would fit in a civic, or other economy car in terms of layout and design. (not material) where the TL is much better laid out. I guess it very similar to why more expensive car tend to look better outside. I mean they could be using the same sheet metal, but it matters how its shaped. Some of those processes cost more, and so you only see them on more expensive cars. Its the same way with the interior design between the TSX and TL. The TSX comes off feeling like it was designed to a cost. The TL interior feels more like it was designed to a vision.

*shrug* but if you dont get that sort of thing, you just dont get it I guess. I feel like Im trying to explain what art is beautiful.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I test drove the tsx and then the tl back to back (twice). Honestly, no comparison! Aside from the obvious power difference, I definitely felt the major difference in material and refinement. It was a no-brainer. Don't get me wrong, the tsx does have a very nice interior though. It's just not on par with the TL no matter how you look at it. But whatever, it's all personal taste.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Got a tsx loaner from the dealer today.

Sat inside, and somehow it felt familiar.

However, it felt familiar because it seemed similar to my 6th gen '01 Accord V6 with a little less low end torque.
The identical sunroof button next to the steering wheel, the identical transmission lever surround (with the addition of sportshift), the identical cupholders. Though the outside mirror adjust does seem to derive from the 7th gen accord.

But overall, seems if the TSX is based on the euro accord, the euro accord is the 6th gen accord in the US.

I've had the '01 av6, '04 av6 and now the TL. There are similarities throughout, but the tsx seems more like the '01 accord and the TL more like the 04 accord.

To me, the TL sound system is significantly better and the atmosphere generated by real aluminum trim vs. silver colored plastic in the TSX makes a huge difference.
Also, the tsx's chiclet sized buttons almost got me into quite a few accidents.
That together with an a/c button grouped with the navi buttons and a near hidden audio button to display the audio screen...

Didn't bother looking at the tsx when purchasing the TL and doesn't seem i missed out on much...but then, that's just my opinion...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Not an Ashtray

You misunderstand. Previously you seemed to be saying that the TSX was not a related product, and the TL was based on the accord. I know its based on the same platform. Sometimes that doesnt mean alot though. The Subaru forrester and impreza STi are both based on the same platform as well. Very different cars.

All I can say about the interior is if you're happy with the TSX, good for you. It not the material quality or build quality thats the real difference. Its the design. The TSX design feels very much like it would fit in a civic, or other economy car in terms of layout and design. (not material) where the TL is much better laid out. I guess it very similar to why more expensive car tend to look better outside. I mean they could be using the same sheet metal, but it matters how its shaped. Some of those processes cost more, and so you only see them on more expensive cars. Its the same way with the interior design between the TSX and TL. The TSX comes off feeling like it was designed to a cost. The TL interior feels more like it was designed to a vision.

*shrug* but if you dont get that sort of thing, you just dont get it I guess. I feel like Im trying to explain what art is beautiful.
Well, if you think the TSX has a "Civic" layout, I assume you also think the same of the TL. In fact, the TL and TSX have very similar control layouts. The only real differences is the TL has a tape deck, and the TSX does not. Also, the TL has some a few more switches (like the presets on the stereo) than the TSX. I'm not sure that makes it look better, but it winds up meaning that the NAV absorbs fewer controls and (for that reason) I prefer the layout in the TL.

But, be that as a it may. The claim that the TL's layout is "a vision" and the TSX is "civic quality" is nonsense. Very similar interiors, identical material quality, and very similar layouts.

That isn't to equate the two cars - obviously there are lots of reasons to prefer the TL. However, this stuff about interiors doesn't approach reality.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by userbbc5
Got a tsx loaner from the dealer today.

Sat inside, and somehow it felt familiar.

However, it felt familiar because it seemed similar to my 6th gen '01 Accord V6 with a little less low end torque.
The identical sunroof button next to the steering wheel, the identical transmission lever surround (with the addition of sportshift), the identical cupholders. Though the outside mirror adjust does seem to derive from the 7th gen accord.

But overall, seems if the TSX is based on the euro accord, the euro accord is the 6th gen accord in the US.

I've had the '01 av6, '04 av6 and now the TL. There are similarities throughout, but the tsx seems more like the '01 accord and the TL more like the 04 accord.

To me, the TL sound system is significantly better and the atmosphere generated by real aluminum trim vs. silver colored plastic in the TSX makes a huge difference.
Also, the tsx's chiclet sized buttons almost got me into quite a few accidents.
That together with an a/c button grouped with the navi buttons and a near hidden audio button to display the audio screen...

Didn't bother looking at the tsx when purchasing the TL and doesn't seem i missed out on much...but then, that's just my opinion...
The TSX and '04 have very similar interiors, that is true. I don't even know what you are talking about with the '01 USDM Accord since that is not related ot any of these vehicles.

Having put 70,000 miles on a TSX, and spending 4 nights a week in TL, I don't see any difference in button size.

I agree with you about the sound system though and also think the NAV system absorbing controls is a major ergonomic snafu.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

But, be that as a it may. The claim that the TL's layout is "a vision" and the TSX is "civic quality" is nonsense. Very similar interiors, identical material quality, and very similar layouts.

That isn't to equate the two cars - obviously there are lots of reasons to prefer the TL. However, this stuff about interiors doesn't approach reality.

Like I said, Like trying to explain art to someone who just doesn't get it. You could say a Van Gogh has similar materials and paint arrangement to the $75 painting you can get down at Ikea. After all they both have floral scenes done in oil on canvas.

And fwiw. I didn't say that the TSX was civic quality. But that it was a design that belonged in a economy car and was "designed to a cost." The hallmark of economy cars.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Racer

darth62 ok get a life thank you
Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Not an Ashtray

Like I said, Like trying to explain art to someone who just doesn't get it. You could say a Van Gogh has similar materials and paint arrangement to the $75 painting you can get down at Ikea. After all they both have floral scenes done in oil on canvas.

And fwiw. I didn't say that the TSX was civic quality. But that it was a design that belonged in a economy car and was "designed to a cost." The hallmark of economy cars.
As I've said before, I'm in a rare position in that I'm in both a TSX and a TL several days a week. We have both. The TSX is my daily driver (for the most part) but I'm also in a 2006 TL about 4 or 5 nights a week.

And, I don't get what you are talking about because there is nothing there. Its not a question of "not getting art." There simply isn't much of difference between the interiors. The layout is nearly the same, the materials are very nice in both cars. I can't say that I prefer sitting in one more than the other - although I do think the TL has fewer ergonomic issues (like one of the posters observed above, the TSX aborbing controls into the NAV is annoying). We both like some aspects of the TSX interior more, in fact (particularly the seats - and we like have a little storage bin at the top for sunglasses).

The idea that the TSX has an interior that is "designed to cost" while the TL has some ultra-lux interior has no foundation in reality whatsoever. This is just a distortion that you are coming up with in order to make yourself feel better about your own purchase.

The TL does have some real advantages - larger, more features, more ergonmic controls, much better acceleration, slightly nicer ride, more room inside - particularly in the back seat. To be honest, I do see it as the much better buy.

However, the rest of what you are saying is just plain fabrication or at the very least a distorted view.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Intermediate

The TSX and '04 have very similar interiors, that is true. I don't even know what you are talking about with the '01 USDM Accord since that is not related ot any of these vehicles.

Having put 70,000 miles on a TSX, and spending 4 nights a week in TL, I don't see any difference in button size.

I agree with you about the sound system though and also think the NAV system absorbing controls is a major ergonomic snafu.

Yeah, technically the 6th gen accord isn't related to the tsx, just that some interior parts in the tsx remind me of it. TSX does seem to sport 7th gen accord ventilation outputs and 7th gen rearview mirror controls. But in all, the size, the ride, and the greenhouse remind me more of the 6th gen than the 7th gen.

TSX is probably a decent car itself, but for me, in a direct comparison, the details included in the TL make the TL more than worthy of the difference in price.
The interior of the vehicle being what the owner sees the most of; just the TL's aluminum and faux carbon trim make the hours spent on commuting easier to bear.

One thing I have to admit though, being an auto tranny driver, sportshift feels much better mated to the TSX than the TL.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by userbbc5
Yeah, technically the 6th gen accord isn't related to the tsx, just that some interior parts in the tsx remind me of it. TSX does seem to sport 7th gen accord ventilation outputs and 7th gen rearview mirror controls. But in all, the size, the ride, and the greenhouse remind me more of the 6th gen than the 7th gen.

TSX is probably a decent car itself, but for me, in a direct comparison, the details included in the TL make the TL more than worthy of the difference in price.
The interior of the vehicle being what the owner sees the most of; just the TL's aluminum and faux carbon trim make the hours spent on commuting easier to bear.

One thing I have to admit though, being an auto tranny driver, sportshift feels much better mated to the TSX than the TL.
You won't get much argument for me about the difference in cost being worth it. For only a few thousand dollars more, you get a larger more powerful car with a more desirable features.

I just took my sister to shop for Acuras. She had no idea what she wanted. She looked at the TSX, TL, and RDX. I told her to forget the others and go straight for the TL - the best bang-for-the-buck in the Acura line (IMO, at least).
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

And, I don't get what you are talking about because there is nothing there. Its not a question of "not getting art." There simply isn't much of difference between the interiors.

The idea that the TSX has an interior that is "designed to cost" while the TL has some ultra-lux interior has no foundation in reality whatsoever. This is just a distortion that you are coming up with in order to make yourself feel better about your own purchase.

However, the rest of what you are saying is just plain fabrication or at the very least a distorted view.
Just more proof that you dont get it. To say there is no significant difference in the interiors of the two says is the plain fabrication.

Trouble is that you're too grounded in the concrete functional aspect and completely disregard aesthetic priorities. Materials, fit, finish, and ergonomics are not the end all of design.

Oh and I never said the TL was "ultra-lux" Just that it was designed to a "vision" To be more detailed, that means the design that the concept artists originally made got past the bean counters more or less unscathed without having to make changes because "we want to reuse switch gear" and "That shape is too complex to mold cheaply" Hell the TL uses fake wood, and cheap leather. Its kinda bottom of the bucket in the luxury material department. Its just designed well.

But whatever, Im done with this. You're clearly set on that the TSX is identical inside to a TL. Ill not argue art with the blind.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Not an Ashtray

Just more proof that you dont get it. To say there is no significant difference in the interiors of the two says is the plain fabrication.

Trouble is that you're too grounded in the concrete functional aspect and completely disregard aesthetic priorities. Materials, fit, finish, and ergonomics are not the end all of design.

Oh and I never said the TL was "ultra-lux" Just that it was designed to a "vision" To be more detailed, that means the design that the concept artists originally made got past the bean counters more or less unscathed without having to make changes because "we want to reuse switch gear" and "That shape is too complex to mold cheaply" Hell the TL uses fake wood, and cheap leather. Its kinda bottom of the bucket in the luxury material department. Its just designed well.

But whatever, Im done with this. You're clearly set on that the TSX is identical inside to a TL. Ill not argue art with the blind.
I may not "get it" because there isn't anything here to get. I'm in both cars all the time. The great difference in "aesthetics" simply isn't there. The idea that the TL is a "vison" while the TSX is some sort of econo-compromise is just plain silly. Its not that I'm blind (and, btw, the personal insults are inappropriate), what you are saying just doesn't reflect reality.

Note, btw, that I did not say there was no difference. The TL has a better control layout, mainly because there are hard buttons for contorls that the TSX's nav absorbs (like the presets on the radio). But, otherwise, the differences are pretty minimal.

And, I'm not sure what "fake wood" in the TL you are talking about. My significant other's TL doesn't have any fake wood whatsoever. I'm assuming that you confused "TL" and "TSX" in your post, because some versions of the TSX do have "plood."

As for the leather, I'm not impressed by the leather in either vehicle. If you read the EDMUNDS longterm review of the TL, they noted the thin leather as a main complaint. MY TSX has the same issue as does our TL. Neither car is close to their German competitors in that regard. And, I say that knowing that I intend to buy my fourth Honda vehicle next fall. Its just one of the shortcomings of the TL and TSX, and I noticed it in both vehicles during the test drive.

But, then again, I'm able to look at the limitations of both our cars in a rational way. I don't feel a need to distort anything to prove I made the right purchase choice. And, no offense meant, but that may be the difference between you and I.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 PM
5th Gear

TL Vs TSX

I have 04 TL Silver, Eibach Springs, and General Tires. I have driven a few TSX while my TL was in being serviced. I agree with your review with a few points of contention.

I agree the TSX handles great, more nimble but the Springs gave my TL the edge.
Changing the tires also increased my performance and handling (compared to OEM tires).
The seat memory is great isn't it?
The side mirror defroster is also nice added touch over the TSX.

Welcome to the TL World!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by 68 Wiskey
I have 04 TL Silver, Eibach Springs, and General Tires. I have driven a few TSX while my TL was in being serviced. I agree with your review with a few points of contention.

I agree the TSX handles great, more nimble but the Springs gave my TL the edge.
Changing the tires also increased my performance and handling (compared to OEM tires).
The seat memory is great isn't it?
The side mirror defroster is also nice added touch over the TSX.

Welcome to the TL World!
I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't actually think the TSX handles better than the TL - just different. It is a bit more nimble, but it also gets knocked off course by bumps a more easily. And, there really isn't any difference in body roll. I guess I think the TSX's handling advantages are overstated.

Changing the tires on either car is going to increase handling tremdendously. We've done that with all our cars.

The 2005 and forward TSX has seat memory and side mirror defrosters. These features were not available in the first year of the model run.