Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL vs TSX

Well, I have had my TL for about three weeks now. I had my 2004 TSX for about a year before the dealer ruined it and bought it back, so I think it is time I give some perspective on the differences between the two cars.

I am not sure if anybody has written something like this before, so I am going to do my best to shed some light – although this will not be a long review.

We all know the major differences, the size difference, and the engine difference. 4 Cyl vs 6 Cyl.

The large engine was enough to get me to jump to the TL for this car. The TSX was defiantly powerful enough for most drivers, including myself, but the extra power is so much more fun.

The TSX has better gas mileage, this I to be expected though. From what I remember I was getting about 25MPG with the TSX and with the TL I have been getting 20MPG. So this is a big advantage to the TSX (especially with current gas prices)

Technology – the differences are generally minimal. The TL has its advantages over the TSX – the handsfreelink Bluetooth system I happen to love in my TL. I am almost positive the 06’ TSX will have it built in. The DVD-audio has amazing sound quality, however, there are so few dvd-a discs available that its not a huge advantage (IMO). The only other advantage that I can think of is the XM radio, but the 05’ TSX has this built in now.

I do need to point out that having the memory seats in the TL is a huge advantage, at least for me.

The TSX has the turn signals built in the side mirrors, I happen to like this feature, and I wish the TL had it.

I think the real difference is the ride and handling differences between the TSX and the TL. The TSX is a sports luxury sedan. The TL is a luxury sports sedan. The TSX is much more nimble and handles much better. You can take it through turns with ease and change lanes quickly. You feel like you are driving a small easy to maneuver car whereas with the TL it feels bulkier (and it is) and without the a-spec suspension is not much of a competitor to the TSX in terms of handling. Sure, for straight line acceleration, the TL will beat the TSX – but if you are looking for a car to really compete in true handling, the TSX wins.

So, which car to get – the TSX or the TL? With the $5,000 difference many people often wonder which one to get. Personally, I still say TL, but it is up to you. If you want to save the money and you do not want the extra fast car, get the TSX, you won’t be disappointed. It has excellent acceleration for being a 4 CYL. If you want cooler technology and more of a luxury car over a sports car, get the TL. Either way, you will get an excellent car. They are both luxury enough for most people and they are both sporty enough for most people. I personally think the extra money was worth it for the TL, especially after I spent a few more thousand and added the a-spec package.

Oh, also the TL is more susceptible to rattles and dropping headliners. Fortunately I only have on rattle, and the headliner is no longer falling on my head.

My favorite features in the TL: Blue ambient lighting (and gauges) and the handsfreelink. My favorite features in the TSX: hands down the handling of the car

Again, hopefully this review will be helpful to some potential TSX/TL shoppers.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think for the price the TSX really isnt worth it. But thats just me. If you want a car in the price range of the TSX and looking for handling...go for an used STi or Evo
Old 12-27-2004, 10:46 PM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honostly...TSX is 27xxx, n not for nothing to make it look sharp u need the a-spec which is another couple of grand...for a grand or so more u can have a very well respected TL...Go for a TL
Old 12-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Race Director

The car looks sharp with or without the A spec package.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Race Director

By the way good write up!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:34 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I know what you mean...I went into the dealership with the TSX mind but end up up with a TL in the garage...
Old 12-28-2004, 02:54 AM
mio
Police

u can get a 2001 audi S4 for tsx price ~
Old 12-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Nice write-up. My wife has been toying with the idea of getting a TSX to replace her '96 BMW 328i (which like a lot of BMWs, loves to go to the shop with high maintenance costs). She would opt for an automatic, but she does like the car a lot.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:31 AM
10th Gear

Just yesterday I was given a TSX loaner during a service appointment and drove it around for a while. I think your luxury/sport v. sport/luxury comparison is close, but although the TSX definitely has more of a sport bent, it falls way short on the luxury end. Just looking at the specs detail doesn't really show the difference. All I can say is that after spending a couple of hours in the TSX, I couldn't wait to get back in my TL.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CCreek
All I can say is that after spending a couple of hours in the TSX, I couldn't wait to get back in my TL.
I knew the TL board would have responses like this (not a bad thing lol). People who are used to the TL will of course want back in their TL. Yes, everything is refined a little more in the TL. Even the dash is softer in the TL over the TSX. But, people don't notice those things when cross-shopping between the two.

Personally I would not mind driving a TSX again, it is an exellent car, in no way is it shabby. I also agree with you though, the TL is more of a luxury car. But the TSX has its advantages over the TL.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I'd choose an Accord V-6 over the TSX myself. With navi and XM, the Accord is about the same price.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by narnia
I'd choose an Accord V-6 over the TSX myself. With navi and XM, the Accord is about the same price.
Yep, actually when I bought the TSX the V-6 accord was the one I was comparing to... I decided to go with the TSX because I didn't want to see the same car a hundred times a day. At the time I also wanted a smaller car, and from what I remember the TSX is marginally smaller (not a deal breaker in this case though)
Old 12-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
It's too bad Honda didnt offer an MT with the Accord V6 sedan. Even a 5MT could have been a good performer.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CCreek
Just yesterday I was given a TSX loaner during a service appointment and drove it around for a while. I think your luxury/sport v. sport/luxury comparison is close, but although the TSX definitely has more of a sport bent, it falls way short on the luxury end. Just looking at the specs detail doesn't really show the difference. All I can say is that after spending a couple of hours in the TSX, I couldn't wait to get back in my TL.
Nice review!

I had a TSX loaner just like ccreek and when one makes the side by side comparison there's a huge difference. The TSX has rattles, the interior isn't as nice, the sound system is inferior, no Bluetooth, it's slower, and just feels like a much cheaper automobile. I didn't think it handled "sportier".

That doesn't mean tha the TSX is a bad vehicle IMHO; it's an Acura and a very good car.

I dare not test drive the RL, for I may feel my TL is an inferior vehicle- 2 more years and my lease will be up!

greg
Old 12-28-2004, 03:39 PM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to the dealership to buy the TSX. I drove it and felt like I was driving my old accord. I know Honda makes it, but it was weird. I expected alot more from and ACURA. It was fun to drive, like my Accord. What did it for me, call me petty, was the turn signal lever. The TSX clicked like the accord. The TL is smooth. After the TSX drive and during price neg, I saw the TL roll on the floor (first time I had seen one). I had to drive it and bought it 10 mins after the drive.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:31 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by F23A4
It's too bad Honda didnt offer an MT with the Accord V6 sedan. Even a 5MT could have been a good performer.
that is the sole reason i didnt buy an accord... i wanted the v-6 in a four door. but i also wanted to "row my own". the price of the accord is hard to beat, my family tried to convince me.... i bought the tl.... its my money right?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review.

My wife has a 1995 Civic 5MT Vtec she bought new. It's a solid performer, and will last forever.

The TSX that I looked at reminded me too much of the Civic, I was torn between the TSX and the TL but once I sat in both and really checked them out, I only wanted the TL. Lastly I rejected the TSX because it was making a very typical 200hp @ 3200 car weight. That's not a fast car. The TL is 270hp @ 3400 car weight. The TL is faster than a 330, and will destroy a 325. The 330 is 225hp, and the 325 is 175. If the TSX had made 240hp I would have bought that instead. But at 27K the TSX was pricey and not particularly fast or cutting edge. For some TL owners I know they have no idea what power the car makes. But for performance addicts like me, being able to beat BMW's on the highway and scare some Mustangs makes my day.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED
Nice review!

I had a TSX loaner just like ccreek and when one makes the side by side comparison there's a huge difference. The TSX has rattles, the interior isn't as nice, the sound system is inferior, no Bluetooth, it's slower, and just feels like a much cheaper automobile. I didn't think it handled "sportier".

That doesn't mean tha the TSX is a bad vehicle IMHO; it's an Acura and a very good car.

I dare not test drive the RL, for I may feel my TL is an inferior vehicle- 2 more years and my lease will be up!

greg
That's the comparo I'm waiting for. . . RL vs. TL. I suspect it would be TSX to TL is like TL to RL. Something like that, RL heavier more luxurious and not as nimble. BUT that SH-AWD has some real potiential for good handling. I had the '02' RL and it had a lot of class if not a lot of anything else. But there is something about driving the Flagship of the Marq. BUT I'd never buy version 1.0 of a new Auto. Wait until they get the bugs ironed out. Can anyone say 2004 TL? Perhaps some of these lessons were applied to the new RL - time will tell.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:57 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

The comparison should be the TSX versus the Accord. And I would choose the Accord in that match-up. But, the TL is better than both, IMHO. It's bigger, more powerful, looks better, and has more gadgets.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Advanced

the problem i have with the tsx is its a [normally asiprated] 4 cyl for 27k...thats just wrong. Im not saying I dont like it..but..sheesh.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RhythmAddict
the problem i have with the tsx is its a [normally asiprated] 4 cyl for 27k...thats just wrong. Im not saying I dont like it..but..sheesh.
you can't put a 6 cylinder engine in the TSX, it would destroy TL sales. i say for 27K its an ok price for the type of car you are getting.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Intermediate

I too have driven a TSX and must say that it handles well and nimble and is pretty fun to drive. It feels considerably more nimble than the TL because of its smaller and lighter size. But my S2000 still feels much more nimble than a TSX.

Overall, I'd say the TSX is a sweet car, and especially when can be had for around $25.5K.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hey General!

Long time no see. Nice to see you here.

Originally Posted by jmn4667
The comparison should be the TSX versus the Accord. And I would choose the Accord in that match-up. But, the TL is better than both, IMHO. It's bigger, more powerful, looks better, and has more gadgets.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I also would buy a accord v6 ex over a TSX. In my oppinion it is a much better value. I like the TSX, but it is way to slow for me.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:08 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Hey General!

Long time no see. Nice to see you here.
Thanx man!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Instructor

I suppose I can offer some valid insight here as I own an 04 TL MT and my sister (roommate) owns a 04 TSX AT. Both cars are great and it just comes down to preferences. I'm not exactly a "big car" kind of guy but I was addicted to the throaty engine and the power. My sister felt uncomfortable in a car the size of a TL. We've both had no problems but I've spent a lot of time customizing mine while hers is bone stock. To me, the TL is a better deal, but then again I've spent another $5500 so far

My dad even considered getting the new RL but we all felt it was not worth the money.

Overall, I'm impressed with Acura's new direction (especially given the direction of the Germans). I'm still young and working my way up, so I hope someday Acura will offer a more powerful, AWD, redesigned NSX!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

NSX is the biggest waste of money... if you're rich and you want an "exotic Honda", then you should get it. Otherwise, it's the same deal to as RL... big waste of money. For that kind of money, I rather spend it on E55 AMG... NSX will turn heads...but keeps the bank empty...
Old 02-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
NSX is the biggest waste of money... if you're rich and you want an "exotic Honda", then you should get it. Otherwise, it's the same deal to as RL... big waste of money. For that kind of money, I rather spend it on E55 AMG... NSX will turn heads...but keeps the bank empty...
Yeah, drive the two (NSX and E55) and tell me which one handles like a dream sports car. Drive an S2000 and a modified old Fox-body Mustang and tell me which one handles like a dream sports car. Sure, one is faster, but the other handles like a dream. It's all about the drive. Until you've driven such a machine, ignorance is bliss.

NSX is a very balanced mid-engined car that handles like a dream and puts a smile on your face, while the E55 is a fast automatic sedan that weighs a million lbs. You just push the gas and go. It's good for drag racers, I guess. Just drive the two and see the difference between a sports car and a 4000-lb sedan.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Instructor

I never said I would buy an NSX right now (not that there is anything wrong with that). Now that the polite Japanese HP policies are out the window, I have no doubt the new generation NSX will pack a wallop. As for the bank, sure it costs a lot, but that's also part of the idea! However, it won't need tens of thousands of dollars worth of service like an Italian exotic or the constant shop time (including your beloved E55).

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
Old 02-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Ignorance is bliss? hahaha, I don't need to OWN one to tell you about it. I've driven one before and yes, the handling is incredible. NSX is a nice car, but for the price.. I think it's a bit over-priced... and the interior is a shame... so let me restate..NSX in my book is an exotic car which handles well and very fast.. but it's also a waste of money to me...
(btw) a boxy Cobra vs S2000.... I think i'll take the Cobra
Old 02-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vikrampatel
Technology – the differences are generally minimal. The TL has its advantages over the TSX – the handsfreelink Bluetooth system I happen to love in my TL. I am almost positive the 06’ TSX will have it built in. The DVD-audio has amazing sound quality, however, there are so few dvd-a discs available that its not a huge advantage (IMO). The only other advantage that I can think of is the XM radio, but the 05’ TSX has this built in now.
I am pretty sure the TSX does not have 8 SPEAKERS and for sure I know it does not have a SUBWOOFER...so according to me (having used a TSX) the TL's sound system is a LOT BETTER

My 2 cents
Old 03-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Banned

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...86986&posted=1
Old 03-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Advanced

I drove an automatic TSX the dealer loaned out to me when my '01 TL was in for a checkup. I couldn't believe how much of a piece of crap it was, even my '01 TL. The acceleration was terrible, it was a dog, there's no other way of putting it. All of the rave reviews in Car and Driver, Automobile, etc., were all related to the 6-speed manual. If you happen to live in a highly populated area and aren't 16, an automatic is usually a necessity. I had high hopes for the TSX but the 4 cylinder automatic is a joke.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrjoshua
I drove an automatic TSX the dealer loaned out to me when my '01 TL was in for a checkup. I couldn't believe how much of a piece of crap it was, even my '01 TL. The acceleration was terrible, it was a dog, there's no other way of putting it. All of the rave reviews in Car and Driver, Automobile, etc., were all related to the 6-speed manual. If you happen to live in a highly populated area and aren't 16, an automatic is usually a necessity. I had high hopes for the TSX but the 4 cylinder automatic is a joke.
a little harsh don't you think? i happen to think that the tsx is a great car in its category. the car was not meant to be very fast. the automatic weights in at 3300+ lbs, couple that with a 200hp/166lbs of torque and you are not gonna get a rocket. it also doesn't help that you drove an automatic version of the tsx. but if you compare the tsx to the bmw 325 it is quite comparable in peformance. the 325 is a 6 cylinder engine and the tsx is only 4.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Advanced

Well, the engine is enough for me to go with the TL,, but the handling differences can be attributed to the TSX having a 3 inch shorter wheel base and 3 inch narrow track width... It is a smaller car, and to that effect I'm surprised no one mentioned the 9 inches the TL is longer and the noticably larger leg and shoulder room in the TL both front and rear. Another difference is the TL has integrated fog lamps.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by caball88
a little harsh don't you think? i happen to think that the tsx is a great car in its category. the car was not meant to be very fast. the automatic weights in at 3300+ lbs, couple that with a 200hp/166lbs of torque and you are not gonna get a rocket. it also doesn't help that you drove an automatic version of the tsx. but if you compare the tsx to the bmw 325 it is quite comparable in peformance. the 325 is a 6 cylinder engine and the tsx is only 4.
For its category it must be a good car because it's trounced the competition (though I wonder how it would compare with the Altima 2.5SE). I was just shocked at how slow the 4 cylinder was. The 325 is a joke for what you have to pay. It's as slow if not slower and is a rattletrap.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Racer

I think the TSX should've been the current Accord with a 4cyl or 6cyl option. That's how it is in Japan, right?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cornelius
I think the TSX should've been the current Accord with a 4cyl or 6cyl option. That's how it is in Japan, right?
nope in japan you can either get it in a 2.0 or 2.4 liter engine. there is no 6 cylinder option for the tsx(japanese accord). if they put the accord 3.0 engine in the tsx it would kill TL sales. the 3.0 engine is rated at 240hp but has dyno'ed at much more than that(closer to 260). with the extra hp and torque in the tsx it would make it a pretty decent performer.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
I beg to differ on your comparison to the BMW 325. I own an '04' BMW 325 (as well as and Acura '05 TL) and there is a big difference in total car fell between the TSX and the Bimmer. Yes, perhaps in a stop light to stop light plunge the TSX will pull the Bimmer but that is NOT the whole story. The BMW is not the reference car in it's catagory for no reason. The Japs have n-e-v-e-r gotting suspension geometry and braking any where near what the Germans have accomplished. Need I mention torque steer and skittish handling? Acura builds a car to a price. And it one reason I chose the TL over the 5 series BMW. But having driven the TSX for a few days as a loaner (when I had my previous RL in for service.) I can say with confidence the TSX is NO BMW killer.

PS torque steer and skittish handing aside I do enjoy my TL a lot.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrjoshua
For its category it must be a good car because it's trounced the competition (though I wonder how it would compare with the Altima 2.5SE). I was just shocked at how slow the 4 cylinder was. The 325 is a joke for what you have to pay. It's as slow if not slower and is a rattletrap.
Me thinks you know NOT what you speak. Comparing the BMW to a rattle trap (speed or handling wise) is just plain foolish claptrap. Have you purchased a BMW? Have you owned or driven a BMW extensively? Have you even sat in one for awhile or just pressed your nose up against the BMW dealership window to observe and then made your seat of the pants evaluation. Yes, the 325 is not a stop light boy racer car. It's just a very refined and thoroughly enjoyable ride. And handles like a dream. The TSX is a jerky rubberband handling, torque steering BMW wannabe. Bump up the next designation on the BMW scale with the new (revised BMW 335i for '06 with the 255 hp turbine smooth 6 cylinder and it will eat your TSX for lunch and not even burp. Hell, I'm sure the 330i performance version would eat the TSX albeit with a bit of pepper and salt to make it go down easier. So before you make sappy statements to the automobile community take a breath and consider who might find your comments offensive from an engineering point of view. Rattletrap is NOT suffered lightly when comparing automobiles of this marque.

Quick Reply: TL vs TSX