3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs. TL Dynamic

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:44 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sorry for the hijack but I was curious, great job explaining it I hate cars and Inaccurate. Having practice launched an auto TL-S and my old MT Integra many times, I fully understand what a stall converter can do now. Countless times I've tried to do a brakestand in the TL, and it only revs up to ~2500 RPM, and once you get off the gas the RPMs drop significantly. I can see why a high stall converter would make an AT car so much faster.

And yes, with a good driver, no errors, stock for stock, the 6MT TL will come out on top every single time. Its easier to modulate the throttle during a launch with a MT, and also you can choose to shift at the most ideal point (right before the powerband starts to drop off, I believe) as opposed to the AT in which it chooses for you/the SS has some delay. A good driver will know how to flatfoot it, which is keeping the gas pedal down during a shift. You slightly lift off the pedal during the shift, but this is a very effective technique. I haven't tried it on a 3G TL6 yet (like anyone would let me try it on their car) but it does make a difference on other cars.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I had a friend back in 1985 who had a Regal T-Type with the GN motor. He did a little

work to it and was running low 12 sec 1/4 mile. Back in 1985. What a sleeper!!!

That car would take off pretty quick, but about after 60 feet it would take off like a

ROCKET!!! Almost no tire spin off the line, then the turbo would kick in and really take

off. I imagine a manual with that car would of wasted ALOT of time. The auto matched

his car perfectly.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by acuracanuck
That's great but I'm talkin about TLs and I'm pretty sure most do not have stall converters.
Well, I think you're looking for torque converter. And most TL's DO have them. Just not the modified high stall ones the drag guys are talking about. Personally I couldn't care less about how fast you are in a drag race, show me how fast you are around a track.

Oh btw, I looked up the dynamic package, its the same as the US 6MT TL with summer tires. So everything but the last point on suspension squat applies.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 PM
'05 TL 6MT Anth. w/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Well, I think you're looking for torque converter. And most TL's DO have them. Just not the modified high stall ones the drag guys are talking about. Personally I couldn't care less about how fast you are in a drag race, show me how fast you are around a track.

Oh btw, I looked up the dynamic package, its the same as the US 6MT TL with summer tires. So everything but the last point on suspension squat applies.
I'm with you on the track thing. That tests everything, speed, skill, handling...

So in the U.S. my car is the same except you get all season tires? Or is the suspension the same as the base TL?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
So in the U.S. my car is the same except you get all season tires? Or is the suspension the same as the base TL?
Well, you can order the 6mt with summer tires in the US as well. There might be other minor details, but the tires are the only real difference I saw in the package from the typical US 6mt.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'm with you on the track thing. That tests everything, speed, skill, handling...

I know what you're saying but it takes plenty of skill to hold down a 6-700hp car on the street. It's not point and stab like it is in the TL.