Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs 2008 C300/C350 Sport???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
You have talked about the difference in used asking price and original sales price between Acura and MB. What you are seeing is the market reaction to the cars as used. The MB has depreciated down to TL level because the market does not think as much of it. All the things talked about here are the reasons.

And as you saw, the MB is not much fun to drive. TL with Nav FTW. My TL averages 3 mpg more than my MDX FWIW.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
that's true.... but I also think the higher priced cars just lose value more. the 50k+ BMW 550is are down in the mid 30s too. and those are bad a$$!

literally, if I was *really* in the market to spend about $35k, I'd be looking to pick up a CPO 550i...you could get a smokin one for $40k OTD.

but i'm looking to spend UNDER 30k on a used car. and I want one that will last a while. I'm in no big rush to own a high end BMW off warranty.

Remember, I have a 2000 boxster..it only has 75k which is low for a 10 yr old car...and when something breaks, it's never cheap.... luckily I don't drive that car a lot...

whatever I do buy is going to be a commuter car..driven everyday..

my only worry really now is do I get a base or Type s
Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MistahSleepy
Imo, when buying a Mercedes Benz, even the lowest tier model you have to think about cost of ownership.

Owning a Mercedes also means you have to service the Mercedes. I've heard some horror stories from some of my friends who drive Benz cars past warranty and they always tell me even the basic checkups cost an arm and a leg.
Originally Posted by csmeance
European cars in general cost an arm and a leg to repair! An oil change on my 7 costs around 250 dollars from the dealer, 1K per axle for new brakes, and tires around the 2200 dollar mark. Just remember, the car may be cheap now, but it'll cost you a bit when you get out of warranty/service plan.
My friend has an 08 C300 and it is a very nice car but I will agree with the above. It is ridiculous beyond words what they charge for service and the worst part is, there is nothing I can do on that car. For instance, I like how I get a notification when it is time to change the oil on my TL. I change it and reset the message alert and I'm good for another 7500 miles or so. Not on her car. Everything that is done must be reset with a diagnostic computer. Currently, there is a bad sensor that states she has a tail light out but when I check it, everything is fine. They told her they have noticed a problem with some of the sensors on the C class models and just to ignore it. This is a Mercedes-Benz dealer telling her this. I would have had a fit but since it is not my car.......

On the other side, the car is very smooth and just as quick, if not faster than my TL. I had to merge in traffic once just to see what it would do and it took no effort at all to get up to 60 from a dead stop when I hit the pedal with 2 people in the back seat. A lot quicker that I thought it would be. Speaking of back seat, it is rather cramped. Probably not as bad as say an IS250/350 but being over 6 feet, I would not want to sit back there.

One odd thing on her car and I have noticed it on other late model C classes is that brake dust accumulates more on the rear wheels than on the front. I thought it was just hers at first but I see on others too. I thought about swapping her pads for some that didn't produce as much dust but I'm sure there is a sensor somewhere that would have detected it and alerted the MB authorities.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
My friend has an 08 C300 and it is a very nice car but I will agree with the above. It is ridiculous beyond words what they charge for service and the worst part is, there is nothing I can do on that car. For instance, I like how I get a notification when it is time to change the oil on my TL. I change it and reset the message alert and I'm good for another 7500 miles or so. Not on her car. Everything that is done must be reset with a diagnostic computer. Currently, there is a bad sensor that states she has a tail light out but when I check it, everything is fine. They told her they have noticed a problem with some of the sensors on the C class models and just to ignore it. This is a Mercedes-Benz dealer telling her this. I would have had a fit but since it is not my car.......

On the other side, the car is very smooth and just as quick, if not faster than my TL. I had to merge in traffic once just to see what it would do and it took no effort at all to get up to 60 from a dead stop when I hit the pedal with 2 people in the back seat. A lot quicker that I thought it would be. Speaking of back seat, it is rather cramped. Probably not as bad as say an IS250/350 but being over 6 feet, I would not want to sit back there.

One odd thing on her car and I have noticed it on other late model C classes is that brake dust accumulates more on the rear wheels than on the front. I thought it was just hers at first but I see on others too. I thought about swapping her pads for some that didn't produce as much dust but I'm sure there is a sensor somewhere that would have detected it and alerted the MB authorities.
At least on my car I can reset the sensors through the gauge cluster/I-drive...

The brake pads (at least what I've seen on german cars like Audi and BMW and some older benz's) is that there is a sensor attached to the side of the pad/caliper. Once this sensor touches the rotor during braking, the pads are low and it triggers the light. You should be able to replace the pads (BMW guys like Akebono pads, slight performance loss, but no dust) without an issue.