Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Type S vs BMW 328i / 528i

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TL Type S vs BMW 328i / 528i

Before purchasing my 2007 TL type S, I demoed a BMW 328i and 528i. Both beamers were Sport models. IMO the 328i was a slug next to the TL Type S. Also the 328i steering was way too tight for my liking, the interior bland and the road noise terrible. Why this car considered the benchmark is beyond me???

The 528i was really nice, but not as peppy as I'd like and the seats were uncomfortable.

My friend owns a 335i fully sported out and laughs at my front wheel drive TL regardless of its a type S. He says front wheel drive cars can never be as precise in steering due to torque steer and too much weight up front.

Yet when I drive my TL type S I have a smile on my face

I guess I am not a sport driver as I like a car with all the nice features and build quality that also handles well. I don't put cars on the track like he does.

My only gripe with the TL Type S is the steering is a bit heavy at low speeds and the turn circle sucks. Other than that, the car is great!

Oh, I chose this car over a G35 Sedan b/c of fuel economy and I like the looks better on the TL. Would love to hear your feedback as well. thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
All I can offer is this...

If you like your car, I think that's all that matters. Who cares what others think? If you're questioning your happiness with the car, make sure it's not because of what others are telling you.

The fact is, you have a phenomenal car that combines luxury and sport in excellent balance.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
you probably also have to consider price, the price you can get on a 07 TL-S I have seen in the very low 20's the Bmw's will probably be double that! I have never liked BMW. Alot of people who drive them think there better than you, just cause they have a BMW.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
yea the TL interior is so much more appealing than the boring interior of the BMW's. i am happy that the TL is front wheel drive cuz i live around Chicago, so I am able to drive my car in the snow with no problem. The TL does suck at making U turns, but thats something i rarely do. and im sure ur car has more features than ur friends BMW cuz a fully loaded TL is like the base model of a Beamer
Old 01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
not another BMW vs HONDA thread. Who cares really? Fuck I would drive a BMW if I could afford one. m3 or m5 or even 530 or 330. I would trade my TL in a heard beat for a 06+ 330 m/t sport/luxury package but they are still expensive cuz of the BMW badge and I guess they have earned the right to over price their cars. If they werent good, there wouldnt be so many of them on the street. There are more bmws where I live then hondas and I live in the ghetto area of the city.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
aTLien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the main reason i chose the type s is because it is spacious. I test drove the IS350 before getting my S and wow i felt crammed. hated it.

personally i think it looks better than the g35 sedan, Is350 [ to girly for me ].

the 335 on the other hand, if it was cheaper i prob would have went for it. but the int. isnt as great, and personally i think i like how the TL type s looks is better.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
not another BMW vs HONDA thread. Who cares really? Fuck I would drive a BMW if I could afford one. m3 or m5 or even 530 or 330. I would trade my TL in a heard beat for a 06+ 330 m/t sport/luxury package but they are still expensive cuz of the BMW badge and I guess they have earned the right to over price their cars. If they werent good, there wouldnt be so many of them on the street. There are more bmws where I live then hondas and I live in the ghetto area of the city.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
328i < Type-S

335i > Type-S

*Price not being a factor, of course.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholics
Before purchasing my 2007 TL type S, I demoed a BMW 328i and 528i. Both beamers were Sport models. IMO the 328i was a slug next to the TL Type S. Also the 328i steering was way too tight for my liking, the interior bland and the road noise terrible. Why this car considered the benchmark is beyond me???

The 528i was really nice, but not as peppy as I'd like and the seats were uncomfortable.

My friend owns a 335i fully sported out and laughs at my front wheel drive TL regardless of its a type S. He says front wheel drive cars can never be as precise in steering due to torque steer and too much weight up front.

Yet when I drive my TL type S I have a smile on my face

I guess I am not a sport driver as I like a car with all the nice features and build quality that also handles well. I don't put cars on the track like he does.

My only gripe with the TL Type S is the steering is a bit heavy at low speeds and the turn circle sucks. Other than that, the car is great!

Oh, I chose this car over a G35 Sedan b/c of fuel economy and I like the looks better on the TL. Would love to hear your feedback as well. thanks.
+1. I don't know why the turning radius is so horrendously huge on our cars.

But, TL Type-S > G-series and IS.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Srb
00 ssm

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
originally posted by msala524
you probably also have to consider price, the price you can get on a 07 tl-s i have seen in the very low 20's the bmw's will probably be double that! I have never liked bmw. Alot of people who drive them think there better than you, just cause they have a bmw.
+1. Ever since my buddy got his 330 he's been slowly turning into a douchebag. Not to say all bimmer drivers are like that...just most of them.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

I'm new to the Acura scene and I came from having a BMW 330ci. My main reason for change was easy, reliability and cost to operate. Don't get me wrong the BMW is a great car, but my 08 Type-S is awesome. No way I could've got out of my driveway last month in the rare Seattle snow storm with the BMW. The Acura was fantastic where as the BMW would've sat in the garage. The Type-S is so much car for the money. I have no regrets.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Racer

B/C the car has a short wheelbase given its overall length.

BTW I bought my 07 Type S last week with 10k miles on it for $26.5k. At the same dealership I also talked them down to $27k on a 530i with 30k miles on it, but the wife hated the BMW. From what I noticed Acura's hold their value alot better than BMWs. Also the dealer who almost deals exclusively with BMW and Porshe told me to never buy German cars out of warranty as they are more expensive to maintain and much less reliable than japanese cars.

Before stepping into the BMWs, I had such high expectations b/c of the reviews I read and I was quite shocked at how unrefined the 3 series was in particular. The TL type S and G35 IMO simply walk all over a 328i despite what the car magazines claim, bot to mention the 328i is too small for a family man like me.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Acuras Only in

Not get what you want, but rather want what you get .... LOL ....

Type-s FTW ...
Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I had a BMW 533i-good looking car, but it nickeled and dimed me to death on little repairs. And you want to get the little stuff fixed...because it's a BMW. I gave up on it.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The apple keeps bumping into the orange in this thread.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

The 328i?
One of my co-workers has that car. Extremely slow.

He always tries to joke on my car. We had one race and by time I reached 30 he was already by my side view mirror.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 528 has only 230 hp, and it weighs more than a TL so it should be a lot slower.

You have to go up to the 550i to get something really fast. 360 hp V8 with a lot of low end torque. *drool*
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

I used to have a 330ci, went to a G35, and then the regular TL. Last week I got back into an '07 335i sedan, CPO w/ 24k mi. All I can say is, I look forward to leaving work just so I can drive the BMW. The power is insane, the handling is out of this world, and almost zero rattles.

Today I did a couple loops on and off the freeway ramps (20 and 30mph limits) at around 55mph and it felt as if the BMW was on rails. Man I love driving this thing. Oh, and I got the car for $28.8k. The deal was too good to pass.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by mso4
I used to have a 330ci, went to a G35, and then the regular TL. Last week I got back into an '07 335i sedan, CPO w/ 24k mi. All I can say is, I look forward to leaving work just so I can drive the BMW. The power is insane, the handling is out of this world, and almost zero rattles.

Today I did a couple loops on and off the freeway ramps (20 and 30mph limits) at around 55mph and it felt as if the BMW was on rails. Man I love driving this thing. Oh, and I got the car for $28.8k. The deal was too good to pass.
Yeah, the 335i is pretty sweet. I almost like the 4-door more than the coupe. Enjoy your ride.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
The 328i?
One of my co-workers has that car. Extremely slow.

He always tries to joke on my car. We had one race and by time I reached 30 he was already by my side view mirror.
328i drivers shouldn't be joking about anyone's car.

Really.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Photographer

Originally Posted by ifirahse
328i < Type-S

335i > Type-S

*Price not being a factor, of course.
i disagree. one of my very close friends has a 07 BMW 335i. other than the power handling i love my Type-S. i would not trade in my Type-S for this BMW. the interior is just plain boring and i think i would die if i had to look at it everyday. the exterior is alright but i like the exterior of the Type-S alot better. its subjective on the looks. like i said the BMW got the power and handling but there is just something about the Type-S you cant let go

07 Type-S interior shot

exterior shot

07 BMW 335i interior shot

exterior shot

Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Unregistered User

My TSX in stock form took 325i's off the line despite them having RWD. I am sure TLS can easily crack on 328i. Also, TL has MUCH nicer interior. The only BMW I would really prefer to my acura is 335i and I would prefer it ONLY because of performance... that thing has worse interior and less space. Its also quite noisy and has LOTS of reliability issues. TL is the way to go
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Photographer

Originally Posted by valeratj
My TSX in stock form took 325i's off the line despite them having RWD. I am sure TLS can easily crack on 328i. Also, TL has MUCH nicer interior. The only BMW I would really prefer to my acura is 335i and I would prefer it ONLY because of performance... that thing has worse interior and less space. Its also quite noisy and has LOTS of reliability issues. TL is the way to go

tell me about it. my friend has serveral problems that BMW still cant seem to fix. she cant wait till she gets out of her lease in a year.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Yeah, the 335i is pretty sweet. I almost like the 4-door more than the coupe. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks. Interior is ok but it's growing on me. Actually, when I'm driving it, I don't even pay attention to what the interior looks like. I'm having too much fun. The BMW seats are much better than the TL. And the BMW stereo is better since it doesn't rattle when the volume are high. Although it's not as user friendly as the TL. The 335i rides extremely quiet and smooth.

Oh, and I have the CPO with 100k mi just in case.

And the C63 is one cool ride, 450 hp is insane!

Last edited by mso4; 01-16-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. Interior is ok but it's growing on me. Actually, when I'm driving it, I don't even pay attention to what the interior looks like. I'm having too much fun. The BMW seats are much better than the TL. And the BMW stereo is better since it doesn't rattle when the volume are high. Although it's not as user friendly as the TL. The 335i rides extremely quiet and smooth.

Oh, and I have the CPO with 100k mi just in case.

And the C63 is one cool ride, 450 hp is insane!
Your car looks great! I'd take that over the TL-S. There's a Vishnu-chipped 335i coupe coming out to a meet we're having up here in Vancouver this weekend. It'll be in fast company with Gallardos, GT-Rs, RS4s, e92 M3s, and a whole bunch of AMGs in there. Can't wait to see what the chipped 335i can do.

Nice Vette, by the way.

For the record though, I'd take a TL-S over a 328i, for sure.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 01-16-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography
i disagree. one of my very close friends has a 07 BMW 335i. other than the power handling i love my Type-S. i would not trade in my Type-S for this BMW. the interior is just plain boring and i think i would die if i had to look at it everyday. the exterior is alright but i like the exterior of the Type-S alot better. its subjective on the looks. like i said the BMW got the power and handling but there is just something about the Type-S you cant let go
The type-s is a sick car don't get wrong (I have one!), but your pics showed a 335i without nav, of course the interior is going to be blander than the TL.

Fully modded without a s/c, my car is capable of 300whp, and the fwd doesn't help.

On the other hand, a 335i has that much power stock, and with the amount I spent on mods for the TL-S, is easily capable of over 450whp. Add rwd into the mix, and I'll take it any day over a type-s.

The niceness of the interior is very subjective. Some love the clean look of the bimmer, while others enjoy an interior with lots of buttons (I love both). My mom has a 645ci, which is basically the same interior as a 335i with nav, and by no means is the interior of that car ugly.

All of this, just my
Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Lazy Idiot

I had two TL's and we also own an E90 330i, the TL is much better in the interior department.

Note: The BMW's steering is extremely heavy and the RWD is pretty much unnoticed unless you are really hammering it.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Racer

I think its funny that BMW owners have to get up to a 335i in order to claim better performance over a TL Type S. If you price out a 335i with all the features of a Type S, its well over 50k. Considering most people don't drive their car on a track on a daily basis, I wonder if the performance advantage of the 335i is really that significant for normal daily driving. Personally I'll take the bigger rear seat for my kids and the better reliability and lower cost of maintenance of the TL.

If I want a car that's really sporty, I wouldn't buy and Sedan. I'd get a Corvette or a Lotus which will run circles around any BMW sedan.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Your car looks great! I'd take that over the TL-S. There's a Vishnu-chipped 335i coupe coming out to a meet we're having up here in Vancouver this weekend. It'll be in fast company with Gallardos, GT-Rs, RS4s, e92 M3s, and a whole bunch of AMGs in there. Can't wait to see what the chipped 335i can do.

Nice Vette, by the way.

For the record though, I'd take a TL-S over a 328i, for sure.
Thanks, I enjoy the Vette very much.

I told myself that I would stay stock for at least 6 months so I can enjoy the power when I upgrade. And yes, for about 600, you can get up to 75 more hp with the JB3 chip. I don't know much about the Vishnu. That's just insane. I'm already spinning my wheels even in second gear. Post us some pics of that meet and keep us posted on that Vishnu 335i.

Originally Posted by Audioholics
If I want a car that's really sporty, I wouldn't buy and Sedan. I'd get a Corvette or a Lotus which will run circles around any BMW sedan.
You read my mind.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Photographer

i gotta admit mso4. you do have a well rounded choice of cars. alittle bit of everything.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
^ american muscle, German engineering and asian rice. I think he got it all covered hahaha
Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, I enjoy the Vette very much.

I told myself that I would stay stock for at least 6 months so I can enjoy the power when I upgrade. And yes, for about 600, you can get up to 75 more hp with the JB3 chip. I don't know much about the Vishnu. That's just insane. I'm already spinning my wheels even in second gear. Post us some pics of that meet and keep us posted on that Vishnu 335i.

Well, I'm happy to report that the chipped 335i is blazingly fast. It had no trouble keeping up with our 400 to 500 hp cars today. And the best part of it is that it's deceptively fast. There's no warning that the car is coming, because it's just so quiet. It doesn't have the roar of some gigantic V8 or V10 engine. It was very impressive.

Here's a couple of pics from today's meet.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

didnt know a 335 could roll with the big boys.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that vette is pure sex.

that white lambo in the meet pic looks sick.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
You think it is bad on the TL, the radius on a Nissan Maxima is worse. I got real good at the 3-point turn when I had mine. I don't remember having to do one since I've had my TL.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
not another BMW vs HONDA thread.

You have to wonder why there are so many of these BMW vs HONDA threads here & almost none on the BMW sites?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I love the exterior design of the BMW's of late. The interior... well, blah... I've heard horror stories of BMW ownership due to reliability issues, and it was the only thing that stopped me from picking one up instead of the TL (the prices for what I wanted played a part as well).
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,037 Likes on 2,512 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
You have to wonder why there are so many of these BMW vs HONDA threads here & almost none on the BMW sites?
i wonder the same thing since I never go to the BMW sites. My brother (who's had 5 BMW's in 2 decades, recently switched to a Cayenne Turbo when his first child was born) goes on neither Acura or BMW sites.

Maybe some of the BMW owners are insecure?

Just kidding, I know alot of nice BMW owners who like their cars as much most of us like our Acura's.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
You know, I reconsidered buying a BMW again before I bought my Type S. I had a 535i once, but the only BMW's I wanted to afford were very high priced..plus they were used cars too. I wound up getting an "end of the year" new 2007 Type S with 700 miles on it for $32,500. There's no way I could find a BMW that had all the bells and whistles that the TL had for the same price.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
I love the exterior design of the BMW's of late. The interior... well, blah... I've heard horror stories of BMW ownership due to reliability issues, and it was the only thing that stopped me from picking one up instead of the TL (the prices for what I wanted played a part as well).
Then outside of the price you may have missed a bet. My 330/6MT has 67,000 miles on it & has never been in the shop other the oil, brake pad, wiper blade & filter changes all on BMW's dime.

My TL/6MT has 28,000 miles on it & has been in for, dead tail/stop light, 2 weeks old - entire left unit replaced. Transmission very stiff shifting when cold, 4 months old - gear oil replaced. Power steering hose replaced - recall. Window wiper motor replaced - recall. 3rd & Reverse gears replaced - TSB.

Quick Reply: TL Type S vs BMW 328i / 528i