Sponsored by:

Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhizkid
ITT: idiots.

OP asked if the TL-S was a good first car. No one asked you guys to judge his socioeconomic background, nor his maturity.

Another point: the TL is relatively old now. Don't feel butthurt because you are still making payments on that 40K TL while OP who is half your age and debt free in the driver's seat.

Welcome to the 21st century, people. Not everyone has to follow your success story and drive beaters to be the responsible adults you are now. Keep your shitty life advice for your children.
OP could have asked if its a good reliable car and would have gotten the responses that YOU seem to want but he didn't. It's advice. Take it or leave it, or go cry somewhere.

And after reading your post all I heard in my head was "YOLO"
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
blah

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't know how old you are, but if you're a person who drives like a grandma, then I say go ahead. If you like to smash on the pedal, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

I got a 1995 Accord EX when I was 16 and I almost got into a few bad wrecks. My bad that is. After 10 years I'm pretty mellow now. If I had a TL-S at that age, I'm pretty sure I would've killed myself or even worse someone else.

If you're responsible, then I say go for it.

I'm getting my kids a safe, slow car like a van. But with a van, they might be having sex in it. So I don't really know for now.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Needs a 930

^ they will definately be banging in that van
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Or hot boxing the shit out of it.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
Ah so that is your problem. Jealously over my 6 speed 2012 Acura TL. That's why you singled out my post. Look, the OP wants a TL plain and simple and the insurance for the older model Type S will be similar to the amount of the insurance required for a 2012 based on a quote for an experience driver.

I see you didn't read the thread in its entirety, you just read my posts towards in not having a clue who I was addressing and why. You should stay on topic and quit making accusations that I am hijacking a thread. If you actually READ the full thread, you will see that is not the case.

I assumed it was you who I was talking to because you responded to a post meant for the OP and someone else, like you were that someone else.

Seriously, humble yourself and don't go barging into a post that was not meant for you thinking you know something because you don't.

Thanks to your trolling arrogance, the thread has officially verged off topic.

Yes, that must be it. I'm jealous of your 6 speed "sports car". Thank you for clarifying that for me. I now understand the meaning of life. Let me sell my beloved 3G TL which is in every way inferior to the 4G and pick up one just like yours.

Get off your high horse, lady. Ultimately, it's a Honda.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaeHanMeenGuk:
Aretardedorange (11-30-2012), gwhizkid (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
BS. You don't know Acura. I have driven my share of Honda's sir, your ass is higher than the damn horse's right now talking about a '07 TL like its GOD. Get a grip dude and come back down to reality. In this particular thread, a TL is a TL is a TL...quit trying to dress shit up like it is something else. You have no room to talk barging into this thread without a single constructive comment... and take your gangsta "nigga please" to an appropriate forum.

Anyways! *bats eyelashes and rolls eyes back*
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Engineer in Training

BS. You don't know Acura. I have driven my share of Honda's sir, your ass is higher than the damn horse's right now talking about a '07 TL like its GOD. Get a grip dude and come back down to reality. In this particular thread, a TL is a TL is a TL...quit trying to dress shit up like it is something else. You have no room to talk barging into this thread without a single constructive comment... and take your gangsta "nigga please" to an appropriate forum.

Anyways! *bats eyelashes and rolls eyes back*
yup, just like an AE86 is the same thing as an E90
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Teenage TL

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmoney48
The tl type s is just one of the cars im looking into getting for a first car. I already know power would be a big concern for a young driver but i can handle my dads 330hp g37 just fine so dont worry about power. I dont speed but my only real irresponsibility is accelerating(up to the speed limit) fast. What care about most is handling though. So is the tl type s okay for a first car?
OP, everyone is gonna say most likely no. And that is because as whole, young drivers are irresponsible. Now personally I believe that if someone has bad intentions, they'll find a way to do something bad no matter how you restrict them. So if you restrict yourself/your parents restrict you by getting you a slower car, if you're gonna be a reckless driver youre gonna do it in a 2000 camry or a nice Type S. So if youre gonna be a good driver and want a Type S, by all means get one.

I drive a base 05 TL as my first car. no tickets. don't speed. low and slow baby low n slow

(lol i haven't lowered yet)
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Just get it OP.

My 05 TL was my first car and I didn't have any problems driving wreckless, etc.. just try your best to be responsible.
Acura_Dude (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It amazes me that to this day there are people who are unaware that Acuras are Hondas.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Needs a 930

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
Yes, that must be it. I'm jealous of your 6 speed "sports car". Thank you for clarifying that for me. I now understand the meaning of life. Let me sell my beloved 3G TL which is in every way inferior to the 4G and pick up one just like yours.

Get off your high horse, lady. Ultimately, it's a Honda.

Don't forget to lease whatever you sell the 3G for. It's smart financially to rent a car for 3 years

It's funny too she says stay on topic but her first post was totally off point. He wants a 3G type S and she posts a video of a 4G and raves about her 4G? Odd

Last edited by BeezleTL85; 11-29-2012 at 04:36 PM.
THEReeM718 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts

OP just get what ever you want/ your parent can afford and/ thread, if you decide to get the car and we say no then it won't matter as much. Good luck
Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEReeM718
Yeah why not? Type S , or maybe a base TL?

I own a 2012 Acura TL FWD/Base and even it is very punchy. I could see a younger driver getting in trouble in one of these cars. Checkout the motor week review of this car on YouTube. It was said that the 2012 FWD model was "hairier and nastier" than expected and the reviewer said he could easily see a inexperienced driver getting into trouble. The biggest concern is control of the car under rapid acceleration...it is tricky given the electric steering of the car. I'm veteran driver, and it caught me off guard at first. Being less experienced in other areas of driving can get you into a situation where you underestimate or overestimate and in these scenarios, reaction time needs to be super quick.

The other thing you will run into is your insurance is going to be very expensive, especially for the type S.

I have always been against a first car costing more than 2-3K because most often than not, teens learn from their mistakes in these cars such as a minor fender bender or a full drawn out accident. My first car was a piece of crap...cost $400 and ended up damaged not because of my inexperience but someone else's in the high school parking lot. This just backed out of a parking spot without even looking behind him. Student parking lots are the worse for nice cars. If you ever noticed, the teachers have their own parking lot, and for good reason. I would say wait until at least right before college, insurance will still be high but you will have some experience under your belt by then.

Here is a link to the review, it is actually from RoadFlyTV:

Quoted me for no reason lol
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Lol the 2012 TL is a ugly car and is definitely NOT a sports car 6 speed or not. I would much rather drive a 04 3G TL or even a 03 2G TL than be caught in that ugly turd.

Anyway to the OP. The type s is a okay first car, it's reliable, fun to mod, fun to drive, safe car. I see nothing wrong with you getting one. Just make sure you are okay with the poor MPG. I am a student like you and I fill up once a week at $66, I get 19/24 MPG (city/highway), and its pretty bad.

Some other cars to look at, 2006-2008 Lexus IS250, 2007-2010 BMW 328i, these are the same price range as the type s you are looking at, however those cars get much better MPG and are same reliability/handling wise.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterBox
It amazes me that to this day there are people who are unaware that Acuras are Hondas.
nobody has denied that fact...

An Audi is a Volkswagen but they are two very different classes. Same goes for Acura with Honda.

Again your point in moot.
The following 2 users liked this post by IamaTL:
Acura_Dude (11-29-2012), AnyaBoo (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
I traded in my 2006 Altima a week and a half ago and I was only paying $94 a month too. Then I lease the 2012 Acurs FWD Base model and my insurance spikes to $170 a month. Tomorrow I am getting some quotes from other providers.
USAA, if your able to. That goes for everyone else as well. Best car insurance on the planet.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
A6 and TL

I was always against the idea of getting a junker as a first car because a junker is unsafe. A junker that costs $400-$3k is likely NOT to have ABS or airbags or any other good safety features. On top of that depending on wherever you live I constantly see kids at my school having problems with junkers starting/functioning in cold weather. I would not like my child child driving around in some unreliable unsafe junk that has no airbags/ABS.

The best car for a student/young kid is one that is reliable, fuel efficient and safe. Handling, luxury features, brand all come second and should only be considered if you or parents can afford it. And as far as insurance goes, just be under your parents, most people I know are like that......crazy if you are going to get your own policy at 16 or w/e and have a type s. Have your parents put you on the cheapest car in the house.

The type s is more of a upscale car and not really needed if you are a student, you can score the last gen civic/corolla for under $6k or even the new Hyundai's/Fords are pretty cool and dirt cheap (smaller models). But if your parents are cool with getting you a type-s, by all means go for it. Like I said before the MPG is the only thing that makes this car lame. The design is timeless and you will get many compliments if you keep it clean.

I was your age a few years ago, my first car was more powerful than a TL, my second car was the TL, my third car now is very fast. When I first started driving I did some stupid things, as you grow older usually after a year or so of driving you mature quickly (or at least I did). You don't own the road, no one cares about what you drive and always respect others on the road, this is some advice I would like to give you.

Last edited by Aretardedorange; 11-29-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM
A6 and TL

Don't think so. Your car is an '08 mines is a '12. Big difference there. You pay more for insurance with brand new cars especially a sports car with 280 HP. Additionally, my car is a lease and more stringent coverages are required than financed vehicles.
Lmaooooooo can't believe you called a FWD Turd a sports car.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
Nice to see how quickly this thread devolved into people arguing and insulting each other.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM
A6 and TL

Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Racer

^Lol.

On a more back to topic note, first cars tend to be subjected to a number of stupid and distasteful mods. I know mine was, and I doubt I'm alone, lol.

It would be a shame to see a Type-S rolling around with fart cans and a giant eBay wing.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
ITT: idiots.

OP asked if the TL-S was a good first car. No one asked you guys to judge his socioeconomic background, nor his maturity.

Another point: the TL is relatively old now. Don't feel butthurt because you are still making payments on that 40K TL while OP who is half your age and debt free in the driver's seat.

Welcome to the 21st century, people. Not everyone has to follow your success story and drive beaters to be the responsible adults you are now. Keep your shitty life advice for your children.

Dmoney i say go for it, especially if you and/or your parents can make it happen fiscally. You seem pretty responsible. Just be safe out on the road and alway, always be a defensive driver. Not only look out for yourself, also look out for the morons.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
^this.

I find it kind of funny that whizkid sold his WDP TL-S due to "rising tuition costs"

Shame on us trying to offer advice to the OP to be fiscally responsible.
How is that funny? Because it's ironic I am defending OP and not basing my badgering advice on past decisions and experience?

Awesome humor you got there buddy.

There's been a very strong trend lately of "know-it-all" assholes with self-righteous mentalities badgering others with with their philosophical views on life.

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need you to tell me I am too irresponsible to drive a certain car because of my age.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
I like turtles

How is that funny? Because it's ironic I am defending OP and not basing my badgering advice on past decisions and experience?

Awesome humor you got there buddy.

There's been a very strong trend lately of "know-it-all" assholes with self-righteous mentalities badgering others with with their philosophical views on life.

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need you to tell me I am too irresponsible to drive a certain car because of my age.
ironic.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by IamaTL
ironic.
How? That was a personal observation. I am not "badgering" anyone with advice.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Instructor

nobody has denied that fact...

An Audi is a Volkswagen but they are two very different classes. Same goes for Acura with Honda.

Again your point in moot.
Sorry but that's just a very poor comparison with a logical fallacy. The difference in quality in an Audi vs a VW is day and night. That being the case, you cannot assume that the difference in quality between an Acura and Honda is just as vast.

If you are going to keep using "point in moot", please know what that actually means.
Aretardedorange (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
I like turtles

Sorry but that's just a very poor comparison with a logical fallacy. The difference in quality in an Audi vs a VW is day and night. That being the case, you cannot assume that the difference in quality between an Acura and Honda is just as vast.

If you are going to keep using "point in moot", please know what that actually means.
please stop posting, your arrogance shows exactly my point in my previous post.

your point is moot.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Engineer in Training

that's the button that turns off the music, right?
The following 2 users liked this post by LockDots:
BeezleTL85 (11-30-2012), SharksBreath (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Instructor

please stop posting, your arrogance shows exactly my point in my previous post.

your point is moot.
Usually when someone says "point is moot", they provide a reasonable counter-argument. You consistently fail to provide any supportive arguments and merely attack the poster. Classical Ad hominem.

Please stop responding to my posts. You sound like a retard.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 PM
I like turtles

no actually a moot point is something that is debatable but also irrelevant and not worth arguing over. Something you are currently doing.

Quit being that guy. Please see post 106 and anytime you post just keep reading it.
AnyaBoo (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LockDots
that's the button that turns off the music, right?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Instructor

no actually a moot point is something that is debatable but also irrelevant and not worth arguing over. Something you are currently doing.

Quit being that guy. Please see post 106 and anytime you post just keep reading it.
suddenly i am doing an adjective. lol i give up

besides that, you missed my point. /abandoning thread
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LockDots
yup, just like an AE86 is the same thing as an E90
Ahem! I said for this particular forum. We are talking about nitty gritty details here. The question is, is the TL a good first car...period.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Racer

I am fully aware that Acura is top of the Honda just how Infiniti is top of the line Nissan and so on and so forth. Point of this thread (AGAIN!) is whether or not the TL is a good first car in general.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
Don't forget to lease whatever you sell the 3G for. It's smart financially to rent a car for 3 years

It's funny too she says stay on topic but her first post was totally off point. He wants a 3G type S and she posts a video of a 4G and raves about her 4G? Odd
Man you all are clueless! The handling and aggressiveness of the 3G and the 4G are similar. The man's info applies to the 3G as well. Ya'll act like the 4G came from another planet and can hover off the ground and fly!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Lol the 2012 TL is a ugly car and is definitely NOT a sports car 6 speed or not. I would much rather drive a 04 3G TL or even a 03 2G TL than be caught in that ugly turd.

Anyway to the OP. The type s is a okay first car, it's reliable, fun to mod, fun to drive, safe car. I see nothing wrong with you getting one. Just make sure you are okay with the poor MPG. I am a student like you and I fill up once a week at $66, I get 19/24 MPG (city/highway), and its pretty bad.

Some other cars to look at, 2006-2008 Lexus IS250, 2007-2010 BMW 328i, these are the same price range as the type s you are looking at, however those cars get much better MPG and are same reliability/handling wise.
Cars get ugly quick when you can't afford them. You don't know the 2012 TL unless you have driven one. And your post is childish. When you grow up, you drive the car that YOU like, not what is most popular. Now back to class...lots to learn so you can make real money.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 AM
A6 and TL

Cars get ugly quick when you can't afford them. You don't know the 2012 TL unless you have driven one. And your post is childish. When you grow up, you drive the car that YOU like, not what is most popular. Now back to class...lots to learn so you can make real money.
I have driven one when I received one as a loaner, I couldn't wait to get back into my old TL, that car was junk inside and out. I would never consider buying that car and most car magazines rate it the ugliest car made next to the Pontiac Aztek. And a 2012 FWD TL is not a sports car by ANY means. First of all its a FWD car, have you seen the torque steer that car has? How can you even consider it a sports car? Just because it has a MT? I guess the corolla with the MT is also a sports car. I mean okay if you have the SH-AWD I would understand because that car handles good, but the FWD is awful.

And lol at your post "cars get ugly quick when you can't afford them". I haven't seen anyone use that before, I guess everyone can afford ferraris, lamborghini, bugatti because no one says those are ugly. Please stop thinking you are above everyone because you are LEASING a FWD 2012 TL. Its not even SH-AWD. I guess leasing a 2012 FWD TL was a big accomplishment in your life.

This is where you belong https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/. Please stay there and never come back!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
I have driven one when I received one as a loaner, I couldn't wait to get back into my old TL, that car was junk inside and out. I would never consider buying that car and most car magazines rate it the ugliest car made next to the Pontiac Aztek. And a 2012 FWD TL is not a sports car by ANY means. First of all its a FWD car, have you seen the torque steer that car has? How can you even consider it a sports car? Just because it has a MT? I guess the corolla with the MT is also a sports car. I mean okay if you have the SH-AWD I would understand because that car handles good, but the FWD is awful.

And lol at your post "cars get ugly quick when you can't afford them". I haven't seen anyone use that before, I guess everyone can afford ferraris, lamborghini, bugatti because no one says those are ugly. Please stop thinking you are above everyone because you are LEASING a FWD 2012 TL. Its not even SH-AWD. I guess leasing a 2012 FWD TL was a big accomplishment in your life.

This is where you belong https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123. Please stay there and never come back!
I believe her son is her biggest accomplishment. But the 4G FWD TL 2012 3.5L 280HP 4 door sports car comes second.

Quick Reply: Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?