Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...ashing-Ferrari

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...r-1st-day.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...fathers-grave/]

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Deer-...164897186.html

Younger drivers are more of a risk on the road. It's not really the car that is the issue it's the maturity of the driver.
But I would not couple a young driver with any kind of high performance car.

Why a TL-S?
Have you looked at a civic or even a nice accord?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
I'm 32 and have never had an at fault accident. My last not-at-fault accident was over 12 years ago and I have not had any tickets for 6 years. Also I have excellent credit. So in other words, my record is clear. My insurance cost per month for the 2012 Acura TL FWD Base model is $140. So expect a teen to pay at least double that, if not more, per month.

WOW, get a new provider. I'm 26, had my license suspended from when I was 19 to 23 for wreckless driving, one accident when I was 19 and several speeding tickets before the suspension. Clean record since I got it back and plan on keeping it that way, paid my dues and learned from my mistakes. To the point, for full coverage (fire, theft, comprehensive, collision, rental coverage, loss of use...) I'm paying 107.00 a month.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I know now that I'm older I can look back and see that I did some pretty dumb stuff in my first car. I was a pretty responsible guy back in high school, but as a kid we all make bad decisions.

There are always the bumps and bruises you get either from your own ham-handed driving or from others carelessness. (Or jealousy) Can you afford to fix those? Will it break your heart when it happens? Can you afford the insurance increases?

Then there are the hi-jinx you get up into your car. Having a fast car gives you something to prove and encourages you into making some bad choice. Those bad choices will happen at a higher rate of speed in a fast car. Things happen quicker and the results are worse.

I know back when I was your age I wanted the hot cars too. I would have probably blown off the old fuddy-duddy who's trying to ruin my fun. However I almost guarantee when you look back at this time in your life 15-20 years from now you'll realize the truth of it.

Fwiw, it doesn't mean you have to get a crappy car. An old Miata might fit the bill. Fun to drive. Not a lot of power to get you in trouble. Limits the amount of passengers egging you on. Anyhow for a fun first car think "go kart" not "autobahn burner"
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
I'll be completely frank with you, I was lucky enough to get my mom's 2006 TL as my first car and I'm super thankful for it. Getting a Type-S is a really nice first car, no matter how you look at it.

I don't really consider the TL to be a car "spoiled" kids drive. The car is aging and becoming cheaper and thus drawing attention from parents. At my school, people don't even consider looking at me as "rich". In fact, most people my age don't care. The only thing that people usually say when they get in my car is: "Cool, Brandon has navigation!" My friend just got a 2011 GTI and already killed the battery twice (left lights on) and curbed the wheels to hell.

The TL is a dependable, safe family sports sedan and in retrospect, the value is no greater than a year or two old Accord (like a lot of people I know did for their first car). I wouldn't say the power is too much-- because it's not. You can accelerate to the speed limit in any car, new or old.

I love my TL and I think that, in the right hands, it's a great first car. Chances are, you will beat it up a little bit, but just do your best to take care of the car and you won't run into many problems.
The following users liked this post:
gwhizkid (11-29-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Damn you guys with high insurance. I'm 22 have 2 wreckless driving tickets and 3 speeding tickets, an illegal u-turn, illegal left turn, and improper equipment. I pay $94 a month lol.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
Like others have said, IMO it's best to get a first car that is slow and that you don't really like. That way if you wreck it, beat the crap out of it and don't maintain it then it's not much of a loss.

The other advantage to having a crappy first car is that you appreciate your second car that much more.

The TL is a quick car that's also really smooth and quiet, so it's really easy to get into trouble with. Going 100mph feels like nothing.

So to answer the thread question, no, I don't think a Type-S is a good first car. It's definitely not the worst choice, but probably too nice and too powerful for a first car.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by NvrDwn
Damn you guys with high insurance. I'm 22 have 2 wreckless driving tickets and 3 speeding tickets, an illegal u-turn, illegal left turn, and improper equipment. I pay $94 a month lol.
liability insurance?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
liability insurance?
No, full coverage.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for responses, its really alot more than i expected.Now to add a little bit about me. I've been a car guy for most of my life and since i was 9 i could identify the make, model, and sometimes the year of car by its tail lights in the dark before we got close enough to read the badges. I've waited too long to drive and to be irresponsible on the road and potentially have my driving privileges taken. I dont always drive my dads g37, the rest of the time i drive our '06 civic coupe which has beaten up quite a bit but i treat it the same as the g. I dont want the type-s to show out and impress girls, i want for me and me only. There's no one worth trying to text while driving to me so there are no worries there. I really dont want to have alot of peple in my car at anytime so i dont get destracted, thats why this car is the only 4-door i'd get. And for the cost, im not rich or spoiled so its not like i can just say what i want and not be concerned about stuff like insurance. I've already said alot but thank you all again please keep the replies comming
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Will you be trading in the civic coupe for the TL-S?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 1black_seven
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...ashing-Ferrari

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...r-1st-day.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...fathers-grave/]

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Deer-...164897186.html

Younger drivers are more of a risk on the road. It's not really the car that is the issue it's the maturity of the driver.
But I would not couple a young driver with any kind of high performance car.

Why a TL-S?
Have you looked at a civic or even a nice accord?
Im not the biggest fan of the accord and a civic is what i will be trying to get rid for when i get my first that was actually bought for me. And about all of those accidents(especially the ferrari), i live in a place where kids are spoiled and can get fast cars like that for a first, and you can look at all of them and tell they drive like idiots. And i know from first hand experience that you dont have to have a fast car to go fast and end it all. In my old town a kid got himself and one other passenger killed going full throttle up hill and when it drop back down hill lost it and put it into a tree. He did that in a '99 durango and the worst part about it to me was that i just knew he would get himself killed in an accident because i had been in the car with him a few times before.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmoney48
The tl type s is just one of the cars im looking into getting for a first car. I already know power would be a big concern for a young driver but i can handle my dads 330hp g37 just fine so dont worry about power. I dont speed but my only real irresponsibility is accelerating(up to the speed limit) fast. What care about most is handling though. So is the tl type s okay for a first car?
first car... do you mind it being WRECKED? if yes.. then sure.. go for it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
5th Gear

probably just a matter of where you live
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
Will you be trading in the civic coupe for the TL-S?
Well no matter what car i get, i wouldnt call it a trade. More like sell one to have a little more to get the another. lol
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Dumbasses will be dumbasses. There have been so many accidents involving kids at my school and it didn't matter what they were in whether bought by their parents, a beater, or borrowing a parent's car.

I personally believe kids who get their car paid for by someone other then themselves in any shape or form generally don't have a care in the world. I don't care if it costs $1,200 or $25,000.

If you had told me that when I first got my license I would have laughed, but once I started paying for my own gas, shit got real. I find it entertaining to see how much I can squeeze out of my tank by keeping RPMs low.

D, I respect that you will treat a car like a TL-S right, but I just can't tell you how much of a stress it could be to drive a nice car at a young age and see all these idiots around you just begging to slam into you for one reason or another. It really sucks, but that's life and nobody is perfect.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
IMO a TL-S is not a wise choice as a first car. You'll be beside yourself if you crash it, and more likely than not its gonna happen due to your age and inexperience. At 16 my parents bought me a pristine 86 Z-28 Camaro 5 speed. I didn't even have it for 5 months before it was totaled. Accident wasn't legally my fault, someone blew a stop sign and t- boned me. But I was speeding and had I been following the posted speed limit the other guy would have probably blown the stop sign before I got there and missed me and I would have had time to react. I took the insurance money and bought an 89 Accord 4AT sedan. Looking back, that accord was an excellent car. It was cheap and it never broke. Im not saying go out and get and 89 accord lol, (this was 13 years ago when I had mine) but maybe get something a bit more conservative than a 3g TL. You don't have to keep it forever and if you wreck it or get in a fender bender it wont be as devastating(damage wise) as if it were a TL-S. My opinion. Good luck with your decision OP.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
TL-S will cost you or your dad $20k, expensive maintenance, premium fuel and higher insurance rates.

If you and/or your pops is good with all of that, go for it.

As a dad, I could afford a TL-S for my son but he's still getting a shitbox to abuse in 3 years and he's paying for half of it.

If I'm lucky, he'll want something cool and take an interest in learning how to fix, maintain and modify it.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Renescent
TL-S will cost you or your dad $20k, expensive maintenance, premium fuel and higher insurance rates.

If you and/or your pops is good with all of that, go for it.

As a dad, I could afford a TL-S for my son but he's still getting a shitbox to abuse in 3 years and he's paying for half of it.

If I'm lucky, he'll want something cool and take an interest in learning how to fix, maintain and modify it.

Going slightly off topic but I hope your son picks out an E30 M3. That would be a great project for father and son IMO.
Renescent (11-29-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say go for it if your parents are footing the bill. I love my TL-S but theres no way I could have afforded it when I was 16. The cost to insure and maintain it is way more expensive than a cheaper economy car like a Camry or Accord. My first car was a 3000GT 5MT and it was a great car but I sure did give it hell. Never wrecked it but it saw redline and 100mph+ runs many of times. It was a good car but I beat it to hell over the 6 years I owned it. If you get a TL-S I guarantee you will run it hard once you get used to it. I said I would baby the 3000GT like I did my parents cars but once I felt "comfortable" with it all hell broke loose. Heres how i picture you driving that tl-s lol
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,201 Likes on 689 Posts
Originally Posted by UA6~RBP
Dumbasses will be dumbasses. There have been so many accidents involving kids at my school and it didn't matter what they were in whether bought by their parents, a beater, or borrowing a parent's car.

I personally believe kids who get their car paid for by someone other then themselves in any shape or form generally don't have a care in the world. I don't care if it costs $1,200 or $25,000.
Originally Posted by csmeance
To be 100% honest, it is ALL DEPENDENT ON YOU. If you are mature enough to respect the car and give it the attention it deserves, then you should be able to have it. For example keeping up with maintenance, making sure your friends don't screw up your car (bringing food inside, etc), not doing burnouts and stupid stuff, etc.
I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts.

There's no doubt putting a new driver in a sporty car puts them at a giant risk of wrecking it, since it's not hard for someone with no previous driving skill to suddenly be overwhelmed at even 6/10ths of a sports car's capabilities. But at the same time, I've seen plenty of morons in shit boxes doing 90mph that I find to be even more dangerous seeing as those cars aren't built with the specs in mind to be doing quick lane changes or hectic braking (not great examples, I know). At least with something sportier, the car has equipment built to handle those situations better. However, I'm not advocating a teen should be given a sports car either, just to be clear.

What I'd like to get across is what CS said; it depends on you. If you can respect the car & its limits, then maybe you'll be that 1 in a million teen who doesn't just mash the gas at the first highway encounter he runs into & gives his actions 2nd thoughts.

Most teens drive without a conscience in mind & I think that's what gets them into trouble; they never keep their own driving limits in mind whether its a sports car or a 4-banger ecobox. Every car has different limits, but near every teen seems think they can handle them.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Guiltyox
I have an '07 MDX Sport + Touring that I insure as well, which is worth more than my TL-S...same price on insurance. I don't lease it, however, both in my name, both insured in my name. I've also been quoted on a brand new, zero mileage sports car ('11 RX-8 R3, loaded, brand new at the time), for the same amount. Maybe your insurance is just higher there...

Also, your insurance is based off quite a number of factors, the biggest of which are the worth of the car, the liability of the area you live in, your previous record and whether or not they consider you to be a high risk client (age, history, etc.).
I do know that insurance for a '07 MDX would be cheaper because it isn't classified as a sport sedan...it is a crossover/SUV and people are less likely to push the limits in those cars. Not saying people don't but it is less likely. Additionally, it appears that you are insuring three cars. The more cars you bundle, the lower your premium. I am insuring two cars. I'm 32 with excellent credit and a clear driver's history with no accidents within the period they evaluate so I'm definitely not a low risk client. I also live in a nice middle class to upper middle class Colorado suburb. I think the fact that it is a lease and having it garaged in Colorado are the two biggest factors. Colorado is known for its reckless drivers so I'm certain rates in CO are higher for the entire CO population. CO has a long history of a large number of accidents per year. I am getting another quote tomorrow because AllState told me $140 last week and this week it is $170. So I'm going to shop around. The $170 a month comes with a $200 deductible on Comp & Coll because I received $300 so far in vanishing deductible discounts.

AllState did tell me today that they have a device that can be installed on your vehicle and it monitors hard braking and speed. She said I couldn't go over 80 mph if I wanted to rewarded with the discount later down the road. I declined as the highway I drive has a speed limit of 75 mph and I frequently exceed 80 mph passing quickly to get out of someone's blind spot so I declined. I am a grown 32 year old woman and I feel I should not have to be monitored to get a 30% discount. That is something that tailors to young inexperienced drivers like the OP. Speaking of which, this monitoring device might be a way for the OP to significantly lower his insurance premium.

If you don't might disclosing your insurance company, I would like to know so that I can get a quote from them tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
I traded in my 2006 Altima a week and a half ago and I was only paying $94 a month too. Then I lease the 2012 Acurs FWD Base model and my insurance spikes to $170 a month. Tomorrow I am getting some quotes from other providers.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I do know that insurance for a '07 MDX would be cheaper because it isn't classified as a sport sedan...it is a crossover/SUV and people are less likely to push the limits in those cars. Not saying people don't but it is less likely. Additionally, it appears that you are insuring three cars. The more cars you bundle, the lower your premium. I am insuring two cars. I'm 32 with excellent credit and a clear driver's history with no accidents within the period they evaluate so I'm definitely not a low risk client. I also live in a nice middle class to upper middle class Colorado suburb. I think the fact that it is a lease and having it garaged in Colorado are the two biggest factors. Colorado is known for its reckless drivers so I'm certain rates in CO are higher for the entire CO population. CO has a long history of a large number of accidents per year. I am getting another quote tomorrow because AllState told me $140 last week and this week it is $170. So I'm going to shop around. The $170 a month comes with a $200 deductible on Comp & Coll because I received $300 so far in vanishing deductible discounts.

AllState did tell me today that they have a device that can be installed on your vehicle and it monitors hard braking and speed. She said I couldn't go over 80 mph if I wanted to rewarded with the discount later down the road. I declined as the highway I drive has a speed limit of 75 mph and I frequently exceed 80 mph passing quickly to get out of someone's blind spot so I declined. I am a grown 32 year old woman and I feel I should not have to be monitored to get a 30% discount. That is something that tailors to young inexperienced drivers like the OP. Speaking of which, this monitoring device might be a way for the OP to significantly lower his insurance premium.

If you don't might disclosing your insurance company, I would like to know so that I can get a quote from them tomorrow.

Thanks.
I thought Colorado was known for its its snowy mountains and awesome resorts.

Also, let's not turn OP's thread into an insurance thread.

Last edited by DaeHanMeenGuk; 11-28-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Aretardedorange (11-30-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Racer

I thought Colorado was known for its its snowy mountains and awesome resorts.

Also, let's not turn OP's thread into an insurance thread.
It is known for that too. Insurance is an important topic of this thread and we should continue to discuss it as it plays into whether or not OP can afford the car. You went off topic first by addressing my insurance rate as high when I simply stated the figure originally to multiply the cost of the insurance for the OP. My second to last post had some good info for the OP on how he could possibly get cheaper insurance but I see you didn't read it. You skimmed through it and assumed it was all about me...that's cool. Go ahead and place the blame on thread deviation on me but I was simply continually responding to your posts regarding my insurance. I see you want to play dirty. I'm gone to a different thread, peace! Oh and thanks for the warm welcome to the site!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

It is known for that too. Insurance is an important topic of this thread and we should continue to discuss it as it plays into whether or not OP can afford the car. You went off topic first by addressing my insurance rate as high when I simply stated the figure originally to multiply the cost of the insurance for the OP. My second to last post had some good info for the OP on how he could possibly get cheaper insurance but I see you didn't read it. You skimmed through it and assumed it was all about me...that's cool. Go ahead and place the blame on thread deviation on me but I was simply continually responding to your posts regarding my insurance. I see you want to play dirty. I'm gone to a different thread, peace! Oh and thanks for the warm welcome to the site!
I never addressed your insurance rate as high. Must've been another member. I guess you skimmed through the thread and assumed it was me...that's cool.

Oh, and if I wanted to play dirty, I would have done so with your first post on this thread which was off topic IMO. OP isn't looking for a 280 HP "sports car" 4G TL. He's looking for one with 6 more ponies than yours (and that also looks better, but hey, that's my opinion)!

Last edited by DaeHanMeenGuk; 11-29-2012 at 12:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaeHanMeenGuk:
Aretardedorange (11-30-2012), THEReeM718 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pohljm
having the TL as your first car will ruin you for life. it will spoil you.
I would be curious what the insurance rates are for you between the base and type S, and civic
So a dressed-up Accord that was built in Ohio will "ruin OP's life" he were to get it as his first car... That's not to say the TL isn't a nice car, but come on.
Aretardedorange (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 AM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterBox
So a dressed-up Accord that was built in Ohio will "ruin OP's life" he were to get it as his first car... That's not to say the TL isn't a nice car, but come on.
your point is moot and lacks any constructive information.

I remember my first car, it sucked but never needed any major work and never stranded me (toyota camry). Thats what OP should get.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I say go for it a TL-S was my first car and its in perfect condition.. Besides where it scrapes on the bottom lol. Who cares what we think! If anything grab your pop's ride and let him get a brand new whip
Aretardedorange (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IamaTL
your point is moot and lacks any constructive information.

I remember my first car, it sucked but never needed any major work and never stranded me (toyota camry). Thats what OP should get.
No more moot than your post. The car he wants is essentially an Accord with even better fit and finish than normal. Its not like he is trying to buy a 60s British roadster with Lucas electrics.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
ITT: idiots.

OP asked if the TL-S was a good first car. No one asked you guys to judge his socioeconomic background, nor his maturity.

Another point: the TL is relatively old now. Don't feel butthurt because you are still making payments on that 40K TL while OP who is half your age and debt free in the driver's seat.

Welcome to the 21st century, people. Not everyone has to follow your success story and drive beaters to be the responsible adults you are now. Keep your shitty life advice for your children.
Aretardedorange (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Racer

I never addressed your insurance rate as high. Must've been another member. I guess you skimmed through the thread and assumed it was me...that's cool.

Oh, and if I wanted to play dirty, I would have done so with your first post on this thread which was off topic IMO. OP isn't looking for a 280 HP "sports car" 4G TL. He's looking for one with 6 more ponies than yours (and that also looks better, but hey, that's my opinion)!
Ah so that is your problem. Jealously over my 6 speed 2012 Acura TL. That's why you singled out my post. Look, the OP wants a TL plain and simple and the insurance for the older model Type S will be similar to the amount of the insurance required for a 2012 based on a quote for an experience driver.

I see you didn't read the thread in its entirety, you just read my posts towards in not having a clue who I was addressing and why. You should stay on topic and quit making accusations that I am hijacking a thread. If you actually READ the full thread, you will see that is not the case.

I assumed it was you who I was talking to because you responded to a post meant for the OP and someone else, like you were that someone else.

Seriously, humble yourself and don't go barging into a post that was not meant for you thinking you know something because you don't.

Thanks to your trolling arrogance, the thread has officially verged off topic.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Racer

Oh and by the way, old model vs new model doesn't matter in this case. They both drive aggressively. And ooooh, 6 HP. I am sure that makes a BIG difference (sarcasm). Get a life.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks.
I totally agree about the monitoring device! Plus, I've heard that you have to pay for the device too, which is preposterous.

I only insure 2 cars at the moment: my '07 MDX and my '08 TL-S, but yes I do get a multi-policy discount, plus discounts for great credit and a crystal driving record. I don't mind divulging my insurance company at all! I currently use Geico, but I've been flirting with State Farm recently, for a little lower premium, actually.

A friend of mine who works for Progressive, in their legal claims department, told me that Geico is known for denying accident claims and then the client is sued for the entire amount by the opposing insurance company, often (which scared me, this is why he recommended State Farm).

Hope this helps!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
I got a 6-speed base TL four years ago when I was barely 16 years old.

Nothing wrong with getting a TL as a first car. Its safe and reliable. If you have no trouble handling your dads 300hp+ RWD car I don't see why you can't handle a TL.

Best of luck OP.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
I totally agree about the monitoring device! Plus, I've heard that you have to pay for the device too, which is preposterous.

I only insure 2 cars at the moment: my '07 MDX and my '08 TL-S, but yes I do get a multi-policy discount, plus discounts for great credit and a crystal driving record. I don't mind divulging my insurance company at all! I currently use Geico, but I've been flirting with State Farm recently, for a little lower premium, actually.

A friend of mine who works for Progressive, in their legal claims department, told me that Geico is known for denying accident claims and then the client is sued for the entire amount by the opposing insurance company, often (which scared me, this is why he recommended State Farm).

Hope this helps!
Thank you so very much! You are the person I was looking for a response from...LOL! You provided a lot of great information to help me significantly. I will give those three a call today and let you know the pricing. I'm sure there will be a noticeable reduction in premium from at least one of them. I leased the car 2 weeks ago so I have 2 weeks to lock in a insurance policy.

That is even more ridiculous paying for the device itself. AllState is treating the 2012 Acura TL like it is a Ferrari. Unreal!

For the OP: if you do decide to get the TL, be sure to shop around for insurance quotes as it could save you $100's of dollars.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
Dont get a TL-S for the mere fact of totaling such a nice car. Its inevitable that you will crash/total is with that type of attitude. Dont let an already rare car become a pile of scrap metal.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
the overexplainer

Thank you all for responses, its really alot more than i expected.Now to add a little bit about me. I've been a car guy for most of my life and since i was 9 i could identify the make, model, and sometimes the year of car by its tail lights in the dark before we got close enough to read the badges. I've waited too long to drive and to be irresponsible on the road and potentially have my driving privileges taken. I dont always drive my dads g37, the rest of the time i drive our '06 civic coupe which has beaten up quite a bit but i treat it the same as the g. I dont want the type-s to show out and impress girls, i want for me and me only. There's no one worth trying to text while driving to me so there are no worries there. I really dont want to have alot of peple in my car at anytime so i dont get destracted, thats why this car is the only 4-door i'd get. And for the cost, im not rich or spoiled so its not like i can just say what i want and not be concerned about stuff like insurance. I've already said alot but thank you all again please keep the replies comming
welp, if you believe you're responsible enough then I dont see a problem. I just hope you follow through with what you say. Driving a nice car is a privilege, not a right. Too many kids these days think they're entitled.

That said, there are plenty of kids at my work (a Uni) that drive ridiculously nice cars. I'm sure a good portion of them dont appreciate or respect that privilege. GT-Rs, a Bentley (yeah, just one though), M3s, 335is... it's pretty ridiculous imo.

good luck shopping.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
The tl type s is just one of the cars im looking into getting for a first car. I already know power would be a big concern for a young driver but i can handle my dads 330hp g37 just fine so dont worry about power. I dont speed but my only real irresponsibility is accelerating(up to the speed limit) fast. What care about most is handling though. So is the tl type s okay for a first car?
why not? if you can afford it or anyone wants to buy it for you & pay for comprehensive insurance, why the hell not lol

btw, if your problem is accelrating too fast, you will get city MPG in high teens if not mid, and get stick shift, it'll be slower to accelerate to 60mph than auto lol (unless you're born to be a racecar driver and can shift faster than auto)

btw being able to identify make & model means nothing lol
go study physics & chemistry & calculus. that makes you more of a car guy

Last edited by 4drviper; 11-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhizkid
ITT: idiots.

OP asked if the TL-S was a good first car. No one asked you guys to judge his socioeconomic background, nor his maturity.

Another point: the TL is relatively old now. Don't feel butthurt because you are still making payments on that 40K TL while OP who is half your age and debt free in the driver's seat.

Welcome to the 21st century, people. Not everyone has to follow your success story and drive beaters to be the responsible adults you are now. Keep your shitty life advice for your children.
Come back in 10 years and see if you still feel the same way. I would be surprised if most of the people you're insulting didn't feel the exact same way you do when they were young.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM
the overexplainer

^this.

I find it kind of funny that whizkid sold his WDP TL-S due to "rising tuition costs"

Shame on us trying to offer advice to the OP to be fiscally responsible.

Quick Reply: Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?