TL Type-S... get one now or wait

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008 | 02:30 PM
Instructor

TL Type-S... get one now or wait

Hi, I've been on the TSX board for a few years now and am thinking of replacing my problem laden 04 TSX with a new 08 TL Type-S 6 Speed. I know there is a redesign due shortly and am thinking I should jump on that 2008 while I can because I'm a little worried about the replacement. I figured I'd ask the experts if my reasoning is sound...

I believe the the TL is based of the US Accord underpinnings. That means the replacement TL will be bigger and heavier like the new Accord.

The new Accord seems to be getting luke-warm reviews. In fact the WSJ liked the new Chevy Malibu better. I've read the car has lost it's "sporty family sedan" edge to Nissan and Saturn and is now a large appliance car. I'm worried the dull and bloated platform will show through in the new TL.

Is anyone else worried about the replacement TL? Should I jump on an 08 while I can? Do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks...
NDL
Old 02-02-2008 | 02:41 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

IMO i would get the 08 TL-S, but the thing is how would the 09 b, wats new and blah blah blah so like really thinkin bout it ill wait
Old 02-02-2008 | 02:43 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

lease the 08 S that way at the end of your lease the new 4thGen S will be out
Old 02-02-2008 | 03:01 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

^^ yeah, that is a good idea if you plan on leasing.
Old 02-02-2008 | 03:04 PM
Acuras Only in

the 4g TL will be out later this year ... can you wait till then? this way you have a chance to compare whether you like the 3g style or the new 4g
Old 02-02-2008 | 03:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shooter
the 4g TL will be out later this year ... can you wait till then? this way you have a chance to compare whether you like the 3g style or the new 4g
I'm worried it might be the same situation as the TSX - they sell off their inventories of the current generation a few months before the new one comes out. Might be hard to find a new TL-S in the color combo I want.

Can't lease, put too much mileage on my car.
Old 02-02-2008 | 03:12 PM
9th Gear

When the 4G comes out it will not come out with a Type S model. It took Acura 3 years to come out with the 3G Type S and 2 years to come out with the 2G Type S.
Old 02-02-2008 | 03:59 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ thats why I told him to lease in 36 months after the 4th gen releases the type s will drop, I wont get a 4g till the type s drops

ps. If you put too many miles then I would suggest just wait for the 4th gen to drop, it will be unveiled in march, with delivery before the close of the year
Old 02-02-2008 | 04:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DineshD
When the 4G comes out it will not come out with a Type S model. It took Acura 3 years to come out with the 3G Type S and 2 years to come out with the 2G Type S.
Great point. I can see them doing this for two reasons, to dedicate resources to the development of the base model and to renew interest in the model after it's been out a few years - which is why I'm not so sure I believe the rumors of a TSX Type S coming out this year.

I'm leaning more and more to getting an 08.
Old 02-02-2008 | 06:42 PM
My Garage not

i'd rather wait and see what the new tl looks like, but keep in mind that you won't be getting the redesigned '09 when it comes out for anything near the price u can get an '08 for right now.
Old 02-02-2008 | 06:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NDLunchbox
Hi, I've been on the TSX board for a few years now and am thinking of replacing my problem laden 04 TSX with a new 08 TL Type-S 6 Speed. I know there is a redesign due shortly and am thinking I should jump on that 2008 while I can because I'm a little worried about the replacement. I figured I'd ask the experts if my reasoning is sound...

I believe the the TL is based of the US Accord underpinnings. That means the replacement TL will be bigger and heavier like the new Accord.

The new Accord seems to be getting luke-warm reviews. In fact the WSJ liked the new Chevy Malibu better. I've read the car has lost it's "sporty family sedan" edge to Nissan and Saturn and is now a large appliance car. I'm worried the dull and bloated platform will show through in the new TL.

Is anyone else worried about the replacement TL? Should I jump on an 08 while I can? Do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks...
NDL
Your reasoning is sound. If you like the current model you should have a chance to strike a decent deal. Most everyone else gets excited when a new model comes out and the pricing will not be as attractive as it is right now. The 3G TL is one of the best looking cars available and it will look good for a long time to come. Who knows what the 4G looks like and you are probably right when you predict that it will gain some weight and not be as sporty.
Old 02-05-2008 | 04:30 AM
Instructor

08 will always be there.. why does it have to have 0 miles on it? lol
Old 02-05-2008 | 05:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stillhere153
^ thats why I told him to lease in 36 months after the 4th gen releases the type s will drop, I wont get a 4g till the type s drops

ps. If you put too many miles then I would suggest just wait for the 4th gen to drop, it will be unveiled in march, with delivery before the close of the year

That is smart thinking IMO. Let the bugs get worked out...but it sometimes takes Acura 2-3 years to do this [lol!].
Check out the spy shots on the '09 TSX on www.vtec.net . It looks pretty hot!
Old 02-05-2008 | 08:37 AM
Pro

I'd get the 08 TLS now.

Remember when the 3G first came out and people who first got it were bitchin' & moanin' about the rattles and the various TSBs they needed to get to done? Getting the very first 4G won't be nay different.
Old 02-05-2008 | 09:04 AM
Safety Car

not to mention the difference in price between the 08 and the 09....the 08 type s can be had for 33k if you try hard enough...an 09 will cost you a minimum of 40k for a like equiped car....thats a big difference in price....
Old 02-05-2008 | 09:30 AM
Safety Car

I would lease the type s wait til the bugs r worked out on the redesign n then jump on it when the lease is over.
Old 02-05-2008 | 06:18 PM
Racer

One thing to keep in mind is that the 3G TL was smaller overall than the previous model Accord. Honda/Acura made the TL a few inches shorter and notable sportier than the Accord that shared the same platform. They also made the 3G TL shorter than the 2G TL. Nothing says the 4G TL is going to grow 6" to be the size of the current Accord. Acura knows they are trying to compete with the 3-series, C-class and A4.
Old 02-05-2008 | 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NDLunchbox

Thanks...
NDL
OK take it from someone that has owned 04 TL, then 06 then 07 and now 08 Type-S. Get an 08 Type-S, it is awesome! Also even if the 09 G4 TL is bigger and badder it is a year one car and Honda Year One cars suck. My 04 was haunted with stupid little crap, squeaks and rattles, etc. I even owned an 07 Camry when they came out and same crap. The Japanese have a great rep, but all cars have issues year 1. I found my 04 to be best built of the 4 I have owned, with the 08 a good runner up, followed by 07 and far behind is 04. Also keep in mind some thinsg we think we know for sure, espeically using spy shots and 08 Accord as referecne, the 09 TL will go I-Drive and dump touch screen navi, it also moves the navis higher in center (as in 08 Accord) and the spy shots elude to a hump in the center of the dash. The spy shots also seem to indicate the dumb Acura shield or some variation of it will be in the front grill. Also bigger is not always better for handling, the current TL is farily nimble (not as ni,be as a TSX), but a bigger heavier car may not be as nimble as the current gen. Look at 08 Accord, people say it is mush compared to 07. The 08 Type-S is really a well refined and executed machine. I think the Engine, tranny and power tuning are perfect. The ride is a tad stiff on rough pavement, but not too much to hate it. I got into a loaner 08 TL 2 weeks ago and relaized how spoiled I am in the Type-S with handling and the Type-S seats are perfect, great support and fit. Only thing I hate is the damn leather quality sucks. They have replaced my passenger front seat twice already becasue the leather sucks, and I see a 3rd time coming soon!